Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
I kind of feel pity for Bleach, since I thought the last arc devolved into utter tripe. Even the ending did not really impress me. This arc is weird but I do like it better than the end of the last arc. I guess you can say I wish it would have tanked earlier and then risen back to its normal state. =P
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Issue 24
Toriko (Cover, Lead CP)
One Piece
Gintama
Naruto
SKET DANCE
Ikkyuu (CP, 25Pages)
Bakuman
Beelzebub
Medaka Box (CP, 23Pages)
magico
Kuroko no Basket
Inumaru Dashi
Reborn
Enigma
Bleach
Kochi Kame
Nurarihyon no Mago
Sengoku ARMORS
Meruhen Ouji Grimm
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
DOIS SOL

Issue 25 Cover: One Piece/Lead CP: Bakuman
CP: Reborn, Enigma
Per the spoiler (and the cover pic) Inumaru Dashi got color pages in Issue 24. Just thought I'd point that out for those that care. Also...I am very excited for new HxH volumes and serialization beginning again. :D
 

SoulEaterFreak

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
93
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Per the spoiler (and the cover pic) Inumaru Dashi got color pages in Issue 24. Just thought I'd point that out for those that care.
I already wrote that here two times but they ignored it + the chapter has 17 pages (don't know how many it usually has, but since it's a gag manga)
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I already wrote that here two times but they ignored it + the chapter has 17 pages (don't know how many it usually has, but since it's a gag manga)
Ah sorry, missed your post about it. Inumaru typically has only 9 pages, so that's almost double.
 

Westlo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
60
Reaction score
14
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Yeah, for not being in a major slot, it sounds like Ao no Exorcist is doing ok.
Nichigo is a major slot of sorts and Blue Exorcist is definitely doing better than Star Driver, and while Basara 2 started strong it fell really low towards the end. Nichigo isn't the powerhouse slot it was back when it used to be Doroku (which aired on Saturaday) but it is still a very important time slot. You'll probably see the next Code Geass anime take over the timeslot in Fall and than a brand new Gundam TV for Spring 2012.

Quoting Katapan from AS.

Gundam Seed ------------ Average: 6.14%, Highest: 8.0%, Lowest: 4.6%
Fullmetal Alchemist ------- Average: 6.06%, Highest: 8.4%, Lowest: 3.7%
Gundam Seed Destiny ---- Average: 5.39%, Highest: 8.2%, Lowest: 3.9%
Blood+ -------------------Average: 3.18%, Highest: 5.4%, Lowest: 1.8%
Ayakashi Ayashi ----------Average: 3.18%, Highest: 4.2%, Lowest: 2.4%
Terra e... ----------------Average: 2.76%, Highest: 3.7%, Lowest: 2.1%
Gundam 00 -------------- Average: 4.85%, Highest: 6.1%, Lowest: 3.8%
Code Geass R2 -----------Average: 2.67%, Highest: 4.0%, Lowest: 1.4%
Gundam 00 2nd Season -- Average: 4.47%, Highest: 6.3%, Lowest: 3.0%
Fullmetal Alchemist: B. --- Average: 3.48%, Highest: 5.8%, Lowest: 1.6%
Sengoku Basara Two -
Star Driver -
Code Geass R2 was when they switched days/timeslot to the new one. As you can see Blood+, Ayashi and Terra e killed the old slot off.. Seed, FMA, Destiny all rated alright as well as selling like hotcakes.
 

Azhi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 9, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
Just curious, how do those really long anime like One Piece and Naruto, (which do well in TV ratings) sell in terms of DVD sales...? I know Gintama is a goldmine in its DVD sales (yay xP) but does anyone know its average TV ratings? (I think the Yorozuya mentioned once to not be fooled by the DVD sales as ratings weren't good or something lol xD But just curious about the actual statistics..)

Which is weighed more heavily when creating anime, TV ratings or DVD sales...?
I'm also curious about how Reborn did when its anime was still running and the chances of it returning as well, since its case reminded me of Gintama.

And I'm kind of late in looking at the TOC but yay Gintama at 2 this week... excellent >=D
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just curious, how do those really long anime like One Piece and Naruto, (which do well in TV ratings) sell in terms of DVD sales...? I know Gintama is a goldmine in its DVD sales (yay xP) but does anyone know its average TV ratings? (I think the Yorozuya mentioned once to not be fooled by the DVD sales as ratings weren't good or something lol xD But just curious about the actual statistics..)

Which is weighed more heavily when creating anime, TV ratings or DVD sales...?
I'm also curious about how Reborn did when its anime was still running and the chances of it returning as well, since its case reminded me of Gintama.

And I'm kind of late in looking at the TOC but yay Gintama at 2 this week... excellent >=D
For most anime it depends on the timeslot. If it;s airing ina more mainstream timeslot where general audiences(typically kids) can tune in then ratings matter more and the show could continue even if DVD slaes aren;t quite up to par. If the show airs in a late night slot though, the series will only thrive through DVD/Blu Ray sales since not wenough people will be watching for ratings to actually matter.

In the case of anime adaptions though, particularly with JUMP series, an anime adaption can survive almost solely on the fact that it's significantly boosted the manga sales and that;s how many JUMP anime are factored. Of course it still generally has to have enough sales and or ratings to at least break even most of the time.

You could almost say it;s what;s helped the Bleach anime survive these days since it now gets abysmal ratings compared to it's earlier days, and sales have gone down for the anime quite a bit.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I felt like he was trying too hard with the humor (which largely fell flat), but I like the idea behind it.

Reminded me a lot of Mieru Hito.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
↑ Hmm, I actually like the humor because I felt that element was lacking in Psyren. Godland Company knew its boundary and never tried to exceed it, which IMO makes the one-shot much more enjoyable than those that try to feign "coolness" right of the bat. As I said a couple of pages ago, I hope it will be well-received by the readers.

Regarding TOC: Bleach is like... down there, OMG. :blink I'm still bummed about Mago, but super happy for SKET's ranking. My bias says it should be in the top 5 every week.

I'm curious to see what the big deal is about Magico since it's staying afloat compared to the other 2011 series. :)
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Go read the series and see for yourself :p

Jokes aside, I think it's just, well, different, and fresh, compare to everything else. It's a adventure fighting manga with heartfelt moments all around. It's a fantasy manga built on a very different setting/concept/world view compare to everything else. The characters aren't unique, but they are cute and likable.

Oh, and the pacing is crazy... You don't feel any drag at all, and, even at Ch.10, it's still "bang bang bang" with the way the story is going. I mean take any adventure series out there as example, you'd be already entering the first "longer" arc, and the overall development slows down. But not Magico...

Of course, I'm obvious biased since I'm translating the series + fell in love with it at first sight, but still, I would really recommend you try it out and make your own judgement :p
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just read the Godland Company one-shot. I liked it. It was a pretty fun story, and I did like some of the humor for it, which is a good element to have considering Psyren was pretty serious 90% of the time. It also has a premise that allows for the author to do more with the characters which is another element that Psyren tended to fall short of a bit, considering most of the focus was on the story(which wasn;t a bad thing for the most part), and Godland seems like something that could last a long while if well recieved.

All in all I hope it does well.
 

Hangedman

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
223
Reaction score
342
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
New series Hanasaka Ikkyu 02 full raw online Here

........ no hair? :darn
 
Last edited:

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
I have to agree about Godland Company, as you have mentioned before since more or less the beginning Psyren was set to a certain objective that was known to us yet it's not the case here because there is yet to be a full agenda or a final goal for anyone but one character, I bet that if this was a first chapter it would not have been revealed as early as this - on another note the art style now in my opinion is more distinctive than that of Psyren, Iwashiro-Sensei in this one-shot can't be compared to Kubo anymore and that is already a plus for me, not that I made that comparison yet it saddened me that Psyren didn't get the recognition it deserved at somepart due to that.

I have a felling though that it won't get serialized so quickly since we already have a demons manga in SJ which is kinda not in it's prime right now and I only see a possibility for good feedback assuming Mago really does get transferred to SQ which I really doubt would happen while the anime will be aired but I might bee completely wrong.
 
Last edited:

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Oh, and the pacing is crazy... You don't feel any drag at all, and, even at Ch.10, it's still "bang bang bang" with the way the story is going. I mean take any adventure series out there as example, you'd be already entering the first "longer" arc, and the overall development slows down. But not Magico...
first i though you mean godland and was curious how i missed that it is currently at chapter 10. xD

don't think that magico is this fast pacing. since the 4 chapter we stuck at this forest. if he keeps it up with his attack strenght in 50 chapters the characters are overpowered as at the end of dragonballz.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
But there aren't much "people sitting around talking" in the Purge arc though :p
You have so many of those in early chapters of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach... = ="


As for Godland Company, I've given my opinion on it before, that it's a pretty decent prototype that can go in a lot of directions. The characters are cute, too, but I'm just a bit worried it could end up like Zoo if it is to become a series :s
 
Last edited:

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
But there aren't much "people sitting around talking" in the Purge arc though :p
You have so many of those in early chapters of Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach... = ="
thats maybe right but you can do it booth in a bad way.

talking - i can be boring if they talk about every stone in the forest, but they can talk also about problems or other climax things like betrayl or their experiences, so the reader can build up a bond with the characters.

fighting - yeah you can talk a lot and ran away crying, but of course that would be boring. BUT! to fight without knowing the characters or their intention is boring as well. you don't care about them. i don't remeber the name of the little girl but i didn't care that she was beaten up. i don't think it's a good way to do a story, but its just my opinion. it seems to me like i did all the things right, otherwise it wouldn't be so good ranked in the toc =)
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Issue 25 Cover: One Piece/Lead CP: Bakuman
CP: Reborn, Enigma
Off topic, when I read chapter 448 of Bleach, it said Bleach will also get color page on next issue.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Off topic, when I read chapter 448 of Bleach, it said Bleach will also get color page on next issue.
You are correct. T probably missed it when he was posting his info, and Ohana didn't bother to correct him.

It was mentioned several times in the Bleach Thread at 2ch though.

Oh, and Kubo himself tweeted that he's starting on a rough sketch for the center color page (which is a bit weird, because they're supposed to have turned in their manuscript nearly 2 weeks before the magazine is out).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top