Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Just remember that the "labels" seinen and shonen say nothing about the content of the series, including nudity and extreme violence.
This attributes are more associated with the time and the particular magazine in which the series was published.
For example: we don't see many gore scenes today in Jump, but was relatively common in the 70s/80s in the same Shonen Jump, and it's still common in another shonen magazines, like Shonen Champion and Shonen Ace. And all these magazines are shonen.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I echo this, but dude Shounen fans aren't all prepubescent brats who like guys with elongated glowing hair and shoot beams of energy from their hands either. Maybe I'm reading into your tone a little much, but that's what it seems to indicate.

Though again Kaiten is right. I've seen several Seinen that would make awesome 'Shounen', while there are some Shounen that with a little bit of a push could be 'Seinen'. Keep in mind though this is my opinion, and not based on any sort of fact. I'm not sure how the grand scheme of things works, whether a mangaka walks into Shogakukan/Shuiesha/Kodansha, and says 'Yeah I'd sorta like to draw this', and they're like 'Oh cool, well we'll sorta put it in this mag'. Or if there's a deeper clause or dichotomy that dictates what is labeled what, especially since the line between 'adult' and 'non adult' is so perfectly blurred in most media that it's hard to tell what one is getting into until they get into it, but I believe at least it just comes down to what allows the author to freely tell his or her story, and more importantly what audience is going to appreciate said story. There's a science to this, and it's more than a precedent set by people not involved in the industry can understand.
No, I simply didn't want to use the pejoratives usually applied to those who say things like "death note was seinenish, or JoJo's seems more like a seinen than a shounen".
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
No, I simply didn't want to use the pejoratives usually applied to those who say things like "death note was seinenish, or JoJo's seems more like a seinen than a shounen".
Oh, cool. I thought that's what it was just wanted to make sure. I'd like to believe I'll give any manga a shot despite the 'demographic.' I feel like those are more suggestions than mandates since I'm sure there are some of us manly men who weep at Shoujo, and Girls who find hot blooded Shounen protagonists are more than just attractive. I'm a self professed Shounen nerd, and it always irks me how quickly people are to say that people who prefer Shounen are immature, or are into 'kids shit'. Bottom line is, read what you enjoy. Do that, and you'll find others who enjoy it too. Nothing's worse than reading a manga and not being able to talk about it with others, I think.

On topic; Sket's color page looks nice, and the upcoming arc is something I've been waiting for since the series began. A shame about OP's break next week seeing that things are getting good, but that's per the course with Oda (Or depending on your POV, Shuiesha.) I'm really concerned/interested in knowing why Gintama hasn't gotten at least a color page for getting to chapter 400. I mean, just one cover all year? It's been doing well in the TOC too....

On that subject, does anyone know exactly what issue Gintama started?
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
which chapter of sket dance is the newest, just to compare how far the Edited Mangas came.

i somehow miss the "gore" in naruto as it was in the early days like the zabusa-arc. it wasn't too heavy but more realistic and not this fairy tail like "and everyone shaked hands and was healthy again..."
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Gintama started in issue 2 of 2004. And indeed it's weird for the color page, it had 7+2 in 2011. Did the anime restart in 2010 or 2011 ?
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Isn't One Piece's 15th anniversary coming up soon? I guess they aren't doing anything special for that.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
This issue is sket dance chapter 240 ( or not far ), last Edited Manga is 201
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Isn't One Piece's 15th anniversary coming up soon? I guess they aren't doing anything special for that.
If I recall they treated 2008 as the tenth anniversary, they probably will treat 2013 as the 15th anniversary. One Piece began serialization in August 1997, making 1998 the first full year of serialization. If you are counting years than 2013 is 15 years, 4 months. Jump never does anything of much significance for milestones, at best color pages and rarely for the exact issue.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
The anime resumed in April 2011, there was a movie in 2010.
Gintama started in issue 2 of 2004. And indeed it's weird for the color page, it had 7+2 in 2011. Did the anime restart in 2010 or 2011 ?
Oh right. There was the anime in 2011-2012. That would explain the color pimping, sorta like what Sket is getting now. It's weird for it to go from hero to zero just because the anime ended though. I'm starting to believe that the lack of color pages is more Sorachi's decision not to do them than Shuiesha's decision to not give him the chance. Color pages are rewards, but it's not inherently clear if a manga artist has to do a color page on demand, or if it's something the magazine editors ask if he or she wants to do them, and can decline if they don't. It makes sense for them to have color pages, but I could sorta understand if they're not mandated.

Also K-dom, I've been curious as to what comic that is in your sig? I've lost interest in American comics, but find myself getting interested in ones not based in Japan. PM me or something, so we don't go off topic.

I too wonder if One piece will have anything special for it's 15th? It would be a shame if they were to ignore a milestone for a milestone series.
 

B'arzz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2011
Messages
210
Reaction score
192
Gender
Male
Country
Colombia
Hey anyone knows what is this?

 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Hey anyone knows what is this?

Advertisements for novels.

I recall that Otter thing being in Bakuman or something. (Never read Bakuman.) I guess it's getting a novel?

Looks like Binbougami ga has a novel too. Though I do recall seeing the cover for that.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
There is always the Jump Fest for celebrating a series. This year Oda seems to concentrate on the new movie so all his attention will mostl ikely be bound between his manga and helping the animation team.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Though again Kaiten is right. I've seen several Seinen that would make awesome 'Shounen', while there are some Shounen that with a little bit of a push could be 'Seinen'. Keep in mind though this is my opinion, and not based on any sort of fact. I'm not sure how the grand scheme of things works, whether a mangaka walks into Shogakukan/Shuiesha/Kodansha, and says 'Yeah I'd sorta like to draw this', and they're like 'Oh cool, well we'll sorta put it in this mag'. Or if there's a deeper clause or dichotomy that dictates what is labeled what, especially since the line between 'adult' and 'non adult' is so perfectly blurred in most media that it's hard to tell what one is getting into until they get into it, but I believe at least it just comes down to what allows the author to freely tell his or her story, and more importantly what audience is going to appreciate said story. There's a science to this, and it's more than a precedent set by people not involved in the industry can understand.
The whole point of what is Seinen/Shonen (or Shoujo) is decided through the target audience: Shonen are targeted at younger boys (deriving from the term shonen which describes a japenese boy who hasn't reached the age of 15), Shoujo likewise at younger girls. Seinen literally translates as "comics for men", which means targeted at boys/men around the age of 18 and everything above. Josei series are targeted at older women.

Now there are different types of magazines which usually stick to one of these groups (there are few exceptions). As far as I know no company will come at you and tell you where your series is best published at. The mangaka will send his work (or meet with one of the employee, etc.) to the magazines staff and they tell him if his/her work is good and if it fits their target audience. Naturally the mangaka will do some thinking beforehand and choose a magazine where he thinks his story fits in. The mangaka most likely has a target audience or even a specific magazine in mind while writing the story anyway.

So the definition of what is a Shounen/Seinen/Shoujo series is solely decided on the magazine while the magazine defines it through the targeted audience. There hardly is anything you can call shounen- or seinen-like because of gore, violence, sex or whatever because (even though there are some facts you can rely on) everyone has his own view on what a child/grown-up might like or be attracted to. Bessatsu's Shonen Magazine might be the perfect example of what a lot of people might think is rather targeted at grown-up's, f.ex. with series like Shingeki no Kyojin or Aku no Hana, but as the name implies, these series are all labeled as Shonen and thus, going by definition, are targeted at younger boys.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

This issue is sket dance chapter 240 ( or not far ), last Edited Manga is 201
This issue is releasing chapter 241, which means the Edited Mangas are behind by 40 chapters.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
One Piece was on the spine of every issue of Jump for it's tenth anniversary in 2008. Bleach and Naruto received the same honor for their tenth. Every Jump mangaka drew a tribute to Kochikame for it's 30th anniversary in 2006. I'm just not sure whether to expect something for One Piece in August, or something next year. 2013 corresponds to the first full year of serialization, not 2012. The tenth anniversary was held in 2008, not 2007.
 

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
You clearly do not read very much seinen. Please do not stereotype other people's fandom. Not all seinen are weird, nor do they necessarily contain much nudity or violence. It's a far more diverse demographic than shounen fans like to think it is.
well i just started reading more mature manga`s. And jojo is the worst of them all. It is still great. It deserve it`s name.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Doesn't OP get one double-spread per tankobon, it seems to fit.
It's more than 10 chapters of One Piece without a color page now, actually I think we are not far from a record.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Than let's hope he will he use the break to draw one.

Long explanations when it's possible to shorten it to a single sentence:
Main audience for shonen[boys] are boys, m.a. for seinen[men] are men. The parallel applies to shojo[girls] and josei[women]. Children books can be enjoyed by adults, as adult novels can be enjoyed by kids too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top