Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

meeedoooz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
624
Reaction score
310
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Egypt
yup everyone has his own opinion , anyway i think it's really great since it has completely fulfilled its purpose ( being funny + setting up for the movie ) :D
 

crimsonlink310

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
632
Reaction score
208
Gender
Male
Country
United States
yup everyone has his own opinion , anyway i think it's really great since it has completely fulfilled its purpose ( being funny + setting up for the movie ) :D
I felt that it should have done more than that but it would be going off topic.

When is the next cancellation btw? Cause right now in Kurogane, it would end at a very awkward moment with a new character just recently introduced.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Cause right now in Kurogane, it would end at a very awkward moment with a new character just recently introduced.
as if they would consider that... there were far worser cuts than this one. i don't know as all the other who aren't working at jump, but i guess it is at least safe for the next issues till the golden cup is over.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Out of curiosity I wanted to see how popular Jump series are in terms of how much doujinshi there is for it. Using pixiv, here are the amount of doujinshi that were made to sell during Super Comic City, which happens during the 3rd and 5th of May every year.
159 Gintama

62 One Piece

53 Toriko

50 HUNTER X HUNTER

44 Naruto

36 Kuroko no Basuke

29 BLEACH

29 Medaka Box

28 Beelzebub

09 SKETDANCE

08 BAKUMAN.

04 Nurarihyon no Mago

​
Super Comic City is quite a big convention, with an attendance of 33,000 doujinka selling their work. Its not the biggest comic convention in Japan, but its still pretty big. I'm hoping to do a similar number count for Summer Comiket, which takes place this August.

I expect a higher count for Kuroko by then. :P I have a suspicion One Piece's number is higher, but then again these are just numbers using one source.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Thats....well, at least Gintama's still fairly popular despite the anime being over. O_O
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm surprised to see Gintama is Jump's DJ leader. I knew it had plenty, frankly I am a bit shocked it has so much more than Naruto and Reborn.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I'm surprised to see Gintama is Jump's DJ leader. I knew it had plenty, frankly I am a bit shocked it has so much more than Naruto and Reborn.
I know right? It's really kind of surprising. Especially since most seem to like the anime more than the manga. I woulda thought with the anime being over for three months now, things would have calmed down, but for it to even beat out Reborn is really dumbfounding.

Well, thank YOU DJ fanbase for keeping the series alive.
 

BlackHair

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
2,503
Reaction score
1,005
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
[...]
Toriko
[...]
Quite deserved. The chapter which got Toriko the top was the climax chapter of the previous arc. Considering how the author managed to keep the tension since then, I believe Toriko will do good for quite some time. This will hopefully influence the sales for the 2nd half of 2012.

Toriko alongside OP and SnK are my personal top three. I want all of them doing good in sales, especially Toriko, since the manga deserves imo more credit. Hopefully Toriko will get back in the top 10, like last year.

Last but not least, it seems the "kids manga" argument has been drooped a few times in connection with Toriko. Well each his own perspective, I respect that. It is fine if it is used to describe the manga, but completely different matter if it is used to mock. Therefore I don't like that remark.
 

Kubukurin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I'm surprised to see Gintama is Jump's DJ leader. I knew it had plenty, frankly I am a bit shocked it has so much more than Naruto and Reborn.
A very large number of dj are the yaoi ones. Gintama's yaoi fanbase is probably the largest in Japan along with the Kuroshitsuji's one.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Golden Future Cup 2012



Jump Issue #35
Goblin Night (Golden Future Cup Entree #1)

Jump Issue #36/37
Cupid of Love Yakeno Harachiri (Golden Future Cup Entree #2)

Jump Issue #39
After School ☆ Idol (Golden Future Cup Entree #3)

Jump Issue #40
INPWEAR CODE (Golden Future Cup Entree #4)


There will be no Golden Future Cup oneshot in Issue #38
 
Last edited:

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I know right? It's really kind of surprising. Especially since most seem to like the anime more than the manga. I woulda thought with the anime being over for three months now, things would have calmed down, but for it to even beat out Reborn is really dumbfounding.

Well, thank YOU DJ fanbase for keeping the series alive.
I have no idea how long it takes to finish a doujinshi, but I assume that the Gintama ones were made while the anime was still airing. On the other hand, it has been a year or so since Reborn's anime has ended.

The heroine in After School Idol reminds me of Himeko in her Onihime days, and the character in Inpwear Code looks similar to Mephisto from Ao no Exorcist. (O_O)
 

nyamonyamo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 24, 2012
Messages
256
Reaction score
68
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
Quite deserved. The chapter which got Toriko the top was the climax chapter of the previous arc. Considering how the author managed to keep the tension since then, I believe Toriko will do good for quite some time. This will hopefully influence the sales for the 2nd half of 2012.

Toriko alongside OP and SnK are my personal top three. I want all of them doing good in sales, especially Toriko, since the manga deserves imo more credit. Hopefully Toriko will get back in the top 10, like last year.

Last but not least, it seems the "kids manga" argument has been drooped a few times in connection with Toriko. Well each his own perspective, I respect that. It is fine if it is used to describe the manga, but completely different matter if it is used to mock. Therefore I don't like that remark.
Toriko's ToC speaks for itself. For months it stays on the top and keep challenging OP and Naruto reign. Those who give snide remarks to Toriko are probably bitter about that fact.

I think why its so well received is because the world of toriko is established properly. Story line is clear and filler episodes are kept to minimum. Even the arcs are short and compact and the characters like toriko are strong willed like luffy.

Base on ToC alone lots of readers find it enjoyable and took their time to vote. You don't vote for 'shit' series that you use your own money to buy. I know jump is expensive.

That being said, kuroko 2nd wow. Gintama was probably in that doggie chapter. Readers are harsh @_@ I wonder for these long running mangaka are their writing influenced by popularity
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
A very large number of dj are the yaoi ones. Gintama's yaoi fanbase is probably the largest in Japan along with the Kuroshitsuji's one.
To be honest Super Comic City has more female attendance than it does male, so in actuality....most of these doujinshi were BL based, if not explicit yaoi.

Fandom is kind of funny like that. But I think I understand Gintama's popularity a little bit more. Its popular with women, most definitely.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The heroine in After School Idol reminds me of Himeko in her Onihime days, and the character in Inpwear Code looks similar to Mephisto from Ao no Exorcist. (O_O)
haha that's true Asa, Himeko with long hair XD looks like it will be some kind of comedic love story maybe?

Anyway, that really looks like a younger version of Mephisto O_o the design looks nice but I fear a generic story (just a gut feeling depending on the drawing) :/
don't know what to think of the the first Oneshot, drawing looks nice though. And the second one reminds me of another oneshot, wasn't there another dude with a monster like face last year? :s my memory's a bit fuzzy but it feels like I saw that drawing before
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
And the second one reminds me of another oneshot, wasn't there another dude with a monster like face last year? :s my memory's a bit fuzzy but it feels like I saw that drawing before
Cupid of Love Yakeno Harachiri was also published in the 2012 Winter Jump NEXT!

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Forgot to mention it in my previous post, the reason why Issue #38 won't have a Golden Future Cup oneshot in it is most likely because it will have a Rurouni Kenshin oneshot instead.
 
Last edited:

Pirulito

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 28, 2007
Messages
3,346
Reaction score
726
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
After School ☆ Idol reminds the one shot Meguraian no Kimi. Maybe it is the same conception.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

DestyNova4th

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
207
Reaction score
94
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I was thinking... Kurogane and Pajama could be canceled, and Medaka and Reborn! maybe concluded soon. Then return Hunter x Hunter, and begin the rumored new manga of Shou Aimoto, that cooking manga with fanservice, and the manga of Shinohara Kenta's assistant. 4 out, 4 enter.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
To be honest Super Comic City has more female attendance than it does male, so in actuality....most of these doujinshi were BL based, if not explicit yaoi.

Fandom is kind of funny like that. But I think I understand Gintama's popularity a little bit more. Its popular with women, most definitely.
That's true. I remember going to a Japanese supermarket once, and buying some Gintama swag. The lady who worked the register had no idea what the rest of the stuff I bought was, but when she got to the Gintama stuff she was like 'Oh wow! I love that series!' I should note that she also mentioned having a son who reads Jump. :-P So Gintama's fangirls grow up to be fanladies.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I know right? It's really kind of surprising. Especially since most seem to like the anime more than the manga. I woulda thought with the anime being over for three months now, things would have calmed down, but for it to even beat out Reborn is really dumbfounding.

Well, thank YOU DJ fanbase for keeping the series alive.
I suspect it might surprise people how long it takes for Gintama anime fans to fade.

I have a little "I <3 Gintama" anime shrine in my back yard in which I light a candle and pray nightly to whatever cosmic being gives a damn to BRING BACK GINTAMA'S ANIME!!!!:yelling

(and, if your wondering, the answer is "yes" my neighbors do look at me oddly when I do it)
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I suspect it might surprise people how long it takes for Gintama anime fans to fade.

I have a little "I <3 Gintama" anime shrine in my back yard in which I light a candle and pray nightly to whatever cosmic being gives a damn to BRING BACK GINTAMA'S ANIME!!!!:yelling

(and, if your wondering, the answer is "yes" my neighbors do look at me oddly when I do it)
Tell that cosmic being (I don't believe in Religon, even if it is for Gintama's sake; though I am NOT an atheist), to ensure they get the same staff from the first 201 episodes of Gintama back. The last year was great, but since Sunrise delegated so many of their animators to other shows, it wasn't as amazing as the first set was. If they can get the people from the first run on the next year, I too will build a shrine.....probably not, but hey at least I thought about it. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top