Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
After seeing Haikyuu!! and nisekoi sales and rankings for a while, I think is safe to assume that they have the power to survive in the long run. KB continues its run, I'm disappointing with the absence of older volumes though.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
i see it more like death note, which became a cult series with incredibly high sells of around 2mio. on the other side, AC could become a underdog for its whole circle. depends on how well a "real" plot/story is established by the mangaka, also how long he can make the series. the longer it is, the more people have a chance to hear about it sometime.
That is a major contradiction. A series can not sell a lot of copies and still be called cult. A cult series has a small, but incredibly dedicated fan base. Death Note had a very large fan base. It sold very well, generally polled in the middle of the magazine or higher, therefore it was not a cult series. I can only assume you do not know, or understand, the meaning of the term "cult".

I also assume that you do not understand the meaning of the term "plot". Students tasked with killing their tentacled teacher is a "real" plot. A plot is simply what the manga is about, the overarching premise of the manga. Episodic story telling is every bit as real, and as sustainable, as a serialization. If you believe that an episodic story is somehow less sustainable, you are sadly mistaken. Kochikame, the longest running manga in history, is episodic. By your standards it does not have a real plot, being about nothing more than the daily life of officers stationed at a Tokyo police box. In the future please be aware that your perception does not necessarily reflect reality, and be sure you are aware of the actual meaning of something before debating.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
10  *,*44,301 *,110,478  - Nisekoi 3
37  *,*21,180 *,*54,898  - Pajama na Kanojo。 2
48  *,*17,946 *,*42,298  - magico 7
the new starters specializing in romance wasn't such a bad idea after all. pajama sold with it second volume more than magico, which shows how incredibly the last year sucked regarding new jump series. hopefully that won't be the cause with so many promising starters this year.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Do we know when Sensei no Bulge's first volume is set to come out?
It seems like the only chance of it surviving at this point is with high sales, given how low it's been ranking.

Edit: Okay, I just looked it up. Volume 1 of Saiki comes out in September, Volume 1 of Sensei and Koisome are in October.
I hope they at least last until then. Saiki seems safe at least. It may be what Jump's pushing to replace Inumaru as the main gag series.
 
Last edited:

Kubukurin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I'm so happy that Haikyuu is selling wonderfully for a new series. It sells almost the same as Nisekoi did with volume 2.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
October Jump Comic Release Schedule
- Kochikame 182
- NARUTO 62
- Gintama 46  
- Nurarihyon no Mago 23
- Toriko 21
- Beelzebub 18
- magico 8
- Haikyuu!! 3
- Pajama na Kanojo 3
- Koisome Momiji 1
- Sensei no Bulge 1

November Jump Comic Release Schedule
- ONE PIECE 68
- Gintama 47
- SKET DANCE 27
- D.Gray‐man 24
- Kuroko no Basket 20
- Kurogane 6
- Nisekoi 4
- Koisome Momiji 2
- Sensei no Bulge 2
 
Last edited:

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
^^ Wait, Gintama 46 and 47 are coming out a month after each other? o_O I didn't know you could do that. Momiji and Sensei too.

I really doubt Beelzebub will become a big hit. Even though it would really deserve it. It's such a great manga.
And for Assassination Classroom to be a long running series with that kind of succes, it probably has to add a good plot to the comedy setting. But it could be possibly for AC imo.
I'm not sure what fence Beelzebub straddles in terms of popularity. I mean, compared to other manga outside of Jump is sells well, but within Jump its definitely not made it "big" like some of its contemporaries have. I know I say it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't get abruptly cancelled, but I can't help but get puzzled by its not-popularity. I'm probably over-thinking it.

Assassination Classroom does have plot, its just that the author hasn't done any story arcs beyond 2 chapters. Not that story arcs are necessary. Either way, its a refreshing manga to have at Jump at the moment, and I hope it stays.
 

MangaPage

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2012
Messages
81
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Assuming it lasts long enough to see Naruto's end, I doubt it would take such a place. It's not the same kind of series, and it doesn't appear to be a typical Jump series. Doesn't mean it can't be a hit or have an anime or anything like that though.
You're right about AC not being a typical Jump series, however I feel Jump standards are changing. Recently there have been less and less typical shonen series in Jump, and when there are, they don't tend to be successful any more. And just look at the number of romance series that have been starting, and the popularity of Nisekoi, for instance. Jump is changing, so it's more difficult to predict what will be a hit and what won't. I'm not saying AC will be a hit, and I don't think it will have the popularity of Naruto, but it's too soon to know. I can see it as being settled around 5th place in the future, though.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

About Beelzebub, it's been going on for quite some time, so I don't think it's popularity can suddenly boost and it can become a great hit. It will probably stay around where it normally is.
 
Last edited:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Recently there have been less and less typical shonen series in Jump, and when there are, they don't tend to be successful any more.
What are typical shounen series? Yeah, there are none as it was always a mix, rise and fall of some genres. Comedy, action, romance, sport, all still typical shounen. Let's keep it to popular, successful and well-selling Jump series.
 
Last edited:

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Probably battle shounen, in this case. There's definitely been a trend towards other genres lately, with stuff like Nisekoi, Haikyuu and possibly Assassination Classroom doing extremely well.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Jump Series - 8 Week Averages
1.One Piece  2.2(△0.1)
2.Naruto     2.5(△0.2)
3.Toriko     4.3(▼0.8)
4.Nisekoi    6.0(―0.0)

6.Haikyuu!!     7.0(▼0.1)
7.Sket Dance    7.4(△0.2)
8.Kuroko       7.8(―0.0)

9.Gintama     13.0(▼0.9)
10.Reborn!     13.1(△0.4)
11.Beelzebub   13.5(▼1.9)
13.Kochikame   14.6(△0.2)
14.Medaka Box  15.5(▼0.6)

15.Bleach     17.0(▼0.9)
17.Kurogane   18.1(△0.5)
17.Pajama     18.1(▼0.5)

* This is the first time since 2009 Issue #30 that Gintama has recorded a 13.0 or lower eight week average.

New Series - 5 Week Averages
5.PSI Kusuo Saiki    6.8 (△0.3) - (slightly above Haikyuu!!/Harisugawa)
12.Koisome Momiji   14.0(▼1.0) - (same as Anedoki/Lock On)
16.Sensei no Bulge   18.0 (▼1.9) - (same as Sengoku Armors)
 
Last edited:

MangaPage

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2012
Messages
81
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
What are typical shounen series? Yeah, there are none as it was always a mix, rise and fall of some genres. Comedy, action, romance, sport, all still typical shounen. Let's keep it to popular, successful and well-selling Jump series.
I meant mainstream battle manga, things like Naruto, One Piece, etc. Of course Jump has always had a good variety of genres, and it has had many successful non-battle manga series, but most of its main manga have always been classical battle manga, to the point that those are normally considered typical shonen manga. What I consider a typical shonen manga to be is a manga that has a main character with a strong personality and big dreams, with its main themes being friendship, hard work, etc., not even necessarily battle manga but also sports manga, for example. While I agree with you that the genres you listed are/can be shonen, I cannot agree that romance, for instance, is typical shonen. You can’t deny that most of Jump’s components and its most know series (Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach…) have been battle-themed. Until very recently the trend in Jump was battle manga, that’s why they are called typical battle manga. If you call all the other shonen themes/genres typical shonen, then what would a non-typical but still shonen manga be for you? Of course, I agree with you when you say «Let's keep it to popular, successful and well-selling Jump series», I’m just saying there are typical shonen series.

What I was saying in my previous post was that those typical shonen themes were overused and readers got bored of them, so other kind of manga can become popular more easily than before. Before, most mangaka thought that the easier way to become successful in Jump was with battle manga, if you wanted to be more popular with another genre you had to be very talented, so most of the new series were battle manga, but now the reverse is happening: just look at how many rom-coms and other romance series have started recently (Nisekoi, Pajama na Kannojyo, Koisome Momiji, Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa…), and what percentage of the new series is battle manga? I doubt Nisekoi would have been so popular some years ago, while Sensei no Bulge would probably have been more popular.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Until very recently the trend in Jump was battle manga, that’s why they are called typical battle manga.
Shounen and romance go hand in hand, we had this discussion some time ago. It's not really my fault, if you didn't come into contact with shounen romance so much before, but they were always there.

What you are talking about are sectoral trends, not having as many mecha series as in the 70/80s doesn't make them any less normal shounen than before.

As mentioned before, let's keep it to popular, successful and well-selling Jump series, as that's what you are describing in your text anyway.

Hanaukyo Maid
Pastel
Girlsaurus
Girlsaurus DX
Psychic Academy
Maico 2010
Pretty Face
Mx0
To-Love-Ru
Futari Ecchi
Love Hina
Mahou Sensei Negima
Addicted to Curry
School Rumble
Ah! My Goddess
A.I Love You
Ai Yori Aoshi
Air Gear
Akane Chan Overdrive
Ichigo 100%
Sumomo mo momomo
GTO
Open Sesame
Love Lucky
Buso Renkin
Rurouni Kenshin
Chobits
Suzuka
DearS
Death Note
DNA²
Parallel
Elfen Lied
Erementar Gerad
Eyeshield 21
Fate/Stay Night
Flame of Recca
Märchen Awakens Romance
Full Metal Panic
Girls Bravo
Hayate the Combat Butler
He Is My Master
Inu Neko Jump
Inukami!
I"S
Video Girl Ai
Karin
Midori No Hibi
Kashimashi ~Girl Meets Girl~
Love Collage
Lilim Kiss
KoiKoi7
Kenichi the Strongest Disciple
Kekkaishi
Maburaho
Mahoraba
Mahoromatic
Momoiro Sango
Nagasarete Airantou
Welcome to the NHK
Onegai Sensei
Onegai Twins
Ranma 1/2
Rave Master
REC
Rizelmine
Saikano
Samurai Kyo
Scryed
Seto no Hanayome
Show Me the Money
Someday's Dreamers
Today In Class 5-2
Utawarerumono
Shakugan No Shana
Zero No Tsukaima
Watashi no Ookami-san
Angelic Layer
Law of Ueki
Train Men
Shuffle!
The Naked Swim Club
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Jump is one of many shounen magazines, and while the most popular, by no means is Jump typical of shounen as a demographic. There are many other mainstream shounen anthologies, each with their own style. One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach are not typical shounen, nor is battle manga the only popular genre. Jump is the only shounen magazine so focused on action. Weekly Shounen Magazine, Monthly Shounen Magazine, Shounen Sunday, Weekly Shounen Champion, Jump SQ, Shounen Gangan, Shounen Ace, and Dengeki Daioh are all popular, high circulation magazines with unique styles, instantly recognizable, and wholly distinct from Jump. Each have representatives of the action genre, none in high proportion. All have serialized action manga completely distinct from the template established by Jump. To suggest that Jump is in any way the archetypical shounen manga is narrow minded, ill informed, and underestimates the diversity of available within the shounen demographic.

Shounen has a long, proud tradition of romance manga. This is neither a new thing, nor a trend. Romance, and all possible sub-genre, has and always will be, as much a shounen staple as action and sports. That Jump has lacked for romance over the last four years or so is nothing more than a trend. In the first decade of the 21st century Jump featured popular romance manga such as I"S, Ichigo 100%, ToLoveRu, along with lesser lights such as Pretty Face. Jump is merely trending back to more typical content, after being over saturated with battle manga for the last four years. The cancellation rate for action manga since 2005 is astounding, with only a paltry few series serialized long term.

The term "mainstream" should never be thrown about in a Weekly Jump thread. Everything in Jump is mainstream. Within the context of shounen manga, everything in Jump is mainstream. This is what "alternative" (properly called Gekiga) manga looks like:



So please, no more discussion of what is and is not mainstream, when discussing Jump. Oumagadoki Doubutsuen is a very "mainstream" manga. So is Assassination Classroom. Romance is a mainstream genre, as much so in it's own way as action. Even within the context of shounen only, nothing in Jump stands out as particularly iconoclastic. That in no way should imply any judgment about quality. One Piece is one of the greatest manga ever, yet mainstream it is, and mainstream it shall remain.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I think it was a poor choice of words, "mainstream" referring to what has been typical of Jump in recent history. But only counting Jump in the equation for what is mainstream or not is silly, despite how popular it is.

While other magazines have different styles than what is in Jump, they also have some which could easily be in Jump and not feel out of place. Fairy Tail or Soul Eater are examples of that in my opinion. But I suppose the same could be said in the opposite way. I guess my point is that I don't feel that many of the more popular publications have styles SO distinct that they have series which could only be in said publications. Sort of offtopic though so yeah...
 

MangaPage

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2012
Messages
81
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Ok, I admit I had a wrong choice of words. And I explained badly what I wanted to say. Actually, I agree with what you have said. It just started when I answered a post saying that Assassination Classroom was not typical Jump, and I picked up that word spontaneously and then used it wrongly. About using the word shonen, though, I have no excuses. I had to write the post hastily and ended up using the word shonen when I meant to use Jump. I understand that by associating it with the word «typical» my post might suggest that I thought of Jump as the archetypical shonen manga, while that’s not the case at all. I have, of course, read many excellent manga in other magazines than Jump, and I have come into contact with shonen romance before, and, like I said in my previous post, I am perfectly aware that Jump has had many successful non-battle manga, with a big variety of genres. My point was just that the most widely known shonen manga are battle manga, and that Jump had overused battle manga in the last few years, so what I meant to say was that nowadays battle manga are the most typical Jump series (or were until recently). So I apologize for, by not having much time, not having used the right words to get people to understand my point, leading into misunderstandings. It was my fault.

I have, however, been misinterpreted to have said some things which I never did:
I never said that other series in Jump were not mainstream, in fact I agree with you that in the context of shonen any Jump series is mainstream. If you look closely you will see that I only used that word on battle manga, merely to clarify that when I referred to battle manga I wasn’t talking about battle manga that were not mainstream for shonen, things close to seinen . So I did not use that word to say that battle manga were mainstream and other manga weren’t, I used it to distinguish the type of battle manga that I meant from other battle manga.
Also, what I said was in no way related to the quality of the manga, merely its classification, and my post did by no means imply that I considered some types of manga to be superior to others. I also love One Piece, and many other battle manga, and I also love many other non-battle manga, whether shonen or not.

With this, I hope this discussion topic is over and we are reconciled with each other again. Sorry if the discussion was off-topic.
 
Last edited:

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
762 : ◆pshOIaGXj0CA :2012/08/21(火) 12:56:46.49 ID:zKmLXU+l
前
タカマガハラ
こち亀
紅葉
パジャマ
バルジ
後

ちなみに暗殺は前から3番目
Jump Issue #39 Bottom 5
Takamagahara
Kochikame
Koisome Momiji
Pajama na Kanojo
Sensei no Bulge

Assassination Classroom ranked third.
 
Last edited:

ClangClang

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 24, 2012
Messages
24
Reaction score
3
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
Jump Issue #39 Bottom 5
Takamagahara
Kochikame
Koisome Momiji
Pajama na Kanojo
Sensei no Bulge

Assassination Classroom ranked third.
I already expected the bottom five result would include Koisome Momiji, Pajama na Kanojo, and Sensei no Bulge. If this continues, it would ony a matter of time to say bye bye to these series. Too bad since I think these series actually have potentials and could do more than this. I can only keep hoping for their rank to increase again :-_-

Assasination Classroom is interesting from the very beginning, so it's not really surprising if it gets a very high rank :^_^
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Even though it is interesting a third place for first rank is extremely rare.
As for the bottom five, I wouldn't get much hope. Their only chance is that 4 cancellations in a row don't happen much often.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top