Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Is is just me or is Shimabukuro change the Komatsu's design?
I don't even read the series and I noticed straight away as well. Character evolution, perhaps?

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

By the way, did anyone notice the typo with the author of iShojo? Her real name is actually Toshinori Takayama, and if you're a Reborn! fan, you'll recognize her as the author of the Saikyo Jump spinoff Vongola GP Kuru! (also why I assume it's a woman).

Also, how come I don't see Kento Shimoyama's name on the preview page?
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I don't even read the series and I noticed straight away as well. Character evolution, perhaps?

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

By the way, did anyone notice the typo with the author of iShojo? Her real name is actually Toshinori Takayama, and if you're a Reborn! fan, you'll recognize her as the author of the Saikyo Jump spinoff Vongola GP Kuru! (also why I assume it's a woman).
Huh, didn't even notice. Vongola GP wasn't up to much, but it'll be interesting to see what she comes out with with this original work.

Also, huh, all the Toriko characters look like they've been refined a bunch. Timeskip, perhaps?
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
About Stealth Symphony, if Soma's any indication, I think this might serve to be a great comeback for Amano. For however unsuccessful it was, Akaboshi already seems to have developed a following. I presume it's partly because it was based on a Chinese novel. The collaboration with the author of Durarara should probably only make things better from there.

Nura was even more renowned, so although it kinda feels a bit soon for Shiibashi to return, I think Illegal Rare can still achieve some success, especially since it seems to be venturing into a more darker storyline. It's risky, but it's also something none of the other series in the manga seem to want to touch.

Seeing a new soccer manga like Tokyo Wonder Boys could definitely appeal to fans of the sport, but it can still face some heavy competition from Haikyu and Kuroko. Also, I wonder how fans will perceive a new soccer manga after WSJ decided to flood the magazine with soccer manga back in the turn of the decade? Though if Kento Shimoyama's involvement means upscaling the art to anime-quality, it might still achieve some sort of following.

Finally, if Nisekoi can fend itself off from Koisome and Pajama at the same time, I don't think it'll have too much of a problem sucking the competition away from iShojo, especially with the ongoing debut of its anime.

So in decreasing order of success, I'm predicting it'll turn out like this:
1. Stealth Symphony
2. Illegal Rare
3. Tokyo Wonder Boys
4. iShojo
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So in order of decreasing order of success, I'm predicting it'll turn out like this:
1. Stealth Symphony
2. Illegal Rare
3. Tokyo Wonder Boys
4. iShojo
Odd order. I think Illegal Rare will battle it out with iShojo for worst of the mix. Targetting the dark audience is a bad move as nothing is successful in this current and contemporary times for WSJ so it will not be accepted. Just look to the cases of Hachi and Iron Knight, and then if it features traditional sword arts or anything like martial arts skills then it could even be likened to that of Mutou Black and other forgotten ones like Takamagahara. Nura fell off so I dont think pedigree and background will really do the author any favors here.

I think there is opportunity for a third sports series in the magazine and Soccer, something traditional and if focused ought to do well (since Smokey BB was just unfocused from the start and had a plot that didnt really seem like it could last long, and well Cross Manage had too much romance which people really dont want in a sport, and the art was also fairly unappealing for the leads, I mean consider how popular the side character Wakamoto got compared to everyone else in the series...).

iShojo probably depends on the strength of the other girls and if its sticks to the traditional norms and tropes and has a clearly definied plot or is more slice of lifey.

Id go
1. Stealth Symphony & Tokyo Wonder Boys
2. iShojo
3. Illegal Rare.
 

IronAngel

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
46
Reaction score
90
Gender
Male
Country
Chile
It surprises me to see that not even Soma reached at least 1000 votes in the popularity poll. I expected to see the characters with many more votes than they actually recieved. Considering how many people voted during the Nisekoi popularity poll, I assumed Soma's poll would have more people voting since it sells more than Nisekoi.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I think:
Illegal rare
Tokyo wonder boys
Stealth simphony
Ai shoujo
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't know why people are supposing that Illegal Rare is dark. I think it makes part of Hiroshi Shiibashi style, the use of black in Nurarihyon no Mago was also high.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
The character design for Tokyo Wonder Boys ir really weak.

Worse than even Kuroko no Basket.

Ages behind High Kyuu!!
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
The character design for Tokyo Wonder Boys ir really weak.

Worse than even Kuroko no Basket.

Ages behind High Kyuu!!
Females will love it. That's for sure.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dont really see whats is wrong with the Tokyo Wonder Boys design. I mean when I first saw the image it was really exciting and on par with being a good design certainly enough so to make it feel in line with recent popular hits. Actually it kind of even evokes feelings of Free, the one on the left, maybe Haruka even.
 

michalek10866

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 22, 2012
Messages
34
Reaction score
26
Age
59
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Where is world trigger color page ?
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It says that Illegal Rare is a "Fantasy crime action" story on that page revolving around "illegal rare species". Steel Symphony is just called a "new sensation fantasy".
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Based on the preview page, I was right about Tokyo Wonder Boys is serialized because of the upcoming Brazil World Cup.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It says that Illegal Rare is a "Fantasy crime action" story on that page revolving around "illegal rare species". Steel Symphony is just called a "new sensation fantasy".
Interesting, it can be various things. Hunt of rare species, fictional ones, use of forbidden creatures to make something like battles or get power. I don't know, but sounds interesting.
Stealth Symphony description was too generic to say something.
 
Last edited:

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Illegal Rare is starting to sound like the X-Files now..
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
World Trigger 47 Color Page :



I must say it's been a while since I've seen color pages that good on World Trigger
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I kind of wish he didnt reuse the same art from one of the chapters for the background there :/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top