Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Dont series already receive notification of ending before the first volume sometimes even released? Seems a bit too late to wait until then.

In any case, I think I find myself in the group that although is in the age group would prefer series that arent dark and mature in this magazine and such. Based on the recent series that could be grouped as dark, I dont think those that even read this magazine actually would want to read those series in this, at least when looking through recent history. Often as past has shown one can adequately determine the fate of series in just their first chapter.



I think it would be interesting to see if those readers in that age group truly do want dark disturbing mature series in this magazine. I just think they easily have other magazines out there to cater to their needs.
It's happened rarely that before the first volume is out that a series is cancelled. I mean if we're to assume that the rank doesn't occur until after eight weeks, and a tankobon has 8-9 chapters in it then it's hard (not impossible I guess) for a series to be cancelled barely one week after being ranked unless it's just doing that badly.

And what other magazines cater to a specific 'darkness'? I always thought that every mag has different series of different genres, but generally do not group them together by one 'theme'. I might be wrong since I'm no expert on Japanese magazines, but from what I see there are 'dark' series in every mag along with series that are 'not dark'. (See how vague that is?) If you mean 'seinen' mags, those are unabashedly not for teens, so I doubt they could simply chuck WSJ and read one of those if they want to see edgy and dark stuff.

Also determining series fates based on first chapters is the same as using tea leaves or tarot cards to determine how to tackle big life decisions. These examples might be old but if you recall, Yu Yu Hakusho's first chapter and it's final arc were really quite different from each other, as is Bleach and several other Shounen. While for the most part a series's first chapter is indicative of what to expect from it, such prediction is not a hard and fast science. So let's just call it what it is. 'Highly amusing guessing.'
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Dont series already receive notification of ending before the first volume sometimes even released? Seems a bit too late to wait until then.
The editors usually announce four or five chapters before it ends, so the editors not going to give notice before the first volume is released, unless the reception is really, really, really bad.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

generally do not group them together by one 'theme'.
There is actually one magazine, called Monthly Heroes, which has one theme, "superhero." But, yeah, generally the magazine has variety of genres.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think it would be interesting to see if those readers in that age group truly do want dark disturbing mature series in this magazine. I just think they easily have other magazines out there to cater to their needs.
Nothing about Illegal Rare really strikes me as dark or disturbing. Looks like they are aiming for gritty supernatural detective story. Visually it looks like just another Jump fantasy comic. If a good "dark" manga with quality writing were ever serialized, I'm sure it would do very well. If it's "dark", gimmicky, generic shounen it probably will get canceled. I don't think it will be a matter of want, but of the specific titles appeal.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
its the first time i see this thread so fired up on raws with everyone giving comments. kinda like it, let it feel so much more euphoric and passionate about the upcoming round.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
From what I could tell (almost) everyone was looking forward to this new round of manga. The ones I care the most are the last to start tho!

RomCom is my favorite genre, but having supernatural powers and stuff really kills it for me.
 

-Khriz-

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
868
Reaction score
76
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I would love to see a translation in English of Illegal Rare. The first chapter seems really cool.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
its the first time i see this thread so fired up on raws with everyone giving comments. kinda like it, let it feel so much more euphoric and passionate about the upcoming round.

I think its because the Nura writer had a lot of fans potentially. Oddly first area Ive seen around that had fans of that series as most seemed to abandon it early on or just never finish it?

Though maybe just general curiosity considering recent discussion of series content genre and feeling. I wonder if Tokyo Wonder Boys and Stealth Symphony will have the same levels of curiosity.
 

Korean Kuroko

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
210
Reaction score
38
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
Okay read the Illegal Rare chapter Raw.I liked it quite alot.From what I could tell the main character is
A vampire called Axl? That is....surprisingly appealing.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
What is left to be done with DN? (serious question)
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Only thing which I can think of is the SEQUEL.
I would dig, they would have to bring a whole new cast to it tho. The only old character would be Ryuk. :P
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I would dig, they would have to bring a whole new cast to it tho. The only old character would be Ryuk. :P
That means a reboot?
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
That means a reboot?
It would happen after what happened in DN1. (some years after)

I don't find the survived cast interesting enough to be reused.

So yeah, you can say that.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think another novel.
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
If it's in March, then maybe All You Need Is Kill is ending around that time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top