Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
If it's in March, then maybe All You Need Is Kill is ending around that time.
The announcement will be on March, but it doesn't mean that Obata going to start serializing on that time (if it is sequel or something).
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dont understand why it would be a serializing manga, just seems unlikely, why would they start four manga this month into next month and then yet another new one next month? Unless it wouldnt run in WSJ.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I dont understand why it would be a serializing manga, just seems unlikely, why would they start four manga this month into next month and then yet another new one next month? Unless it wouldnt run in WSJ.
Well, the only thing which Death Note can do is sequel (or other form of serialization) since it had done every media attention it can get (anime, musical, live-adaptation movie). Plus, we're not sure if it'll serialize in Shounen Jump, itself; Jump usually don't serialize the sequel in their magazine, so it can be serialize in other magazine.

Plus, we're just getting announcement on next month, not the actual serialization (if the announcement is that).
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
A continuation wouldn't go against the author's beliefs? I think it is clear that Ohba and Obata don't like to stretch their series and Death Note ended quite well. A continuation is unlikely IMO. If it happen, what will be the series? Repeat the same thing that they already did?
 
Last edited:

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
A Death Note sequel is definitely not an option, however, a spin-off in some weird way could work.

But the universe and set of rules they set in the actual series is pretty limited, so repetition will most likely happen.
Or they'd have to draw a manga-version of the Los Angeles BB Murder Cases novel.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
probably a one shot or the manga version of the novel as a short series in a different magazine.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I'm gonna assume its another novel.
Ohba/Obata ended the manga in a pretty decent way. Taking it up again is a risk and if it isn't done right, it might just ruin the manga's reputation.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
i wouldn't be *shocked* if it was some sort of short-term comic sequel, if only to give an excuse to have enough comic material to collect that one one-shot they did after the series ended. Really though whatever they do I'm gonna be ambivalent, Death Note's many spin-offs and adaptations kinda left me cold on the title as a whole after the first million or so
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Guys, didn't they ALREADY do that a while back? Like they did a one-shot of Near being a little older and he beats this new Kira that some other Shinigami had given a Death Note to? I think they're pretty done with the series. Like, a lot of people even complained about the original series going on for too long and becoming convoluted.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Guys, didn't they ALREADY do that a while back? Like they did a one-shot of Near being a little older and he beats this new Kira that some other Shinigami had given a Death Note to? I think they're pretty done with the series. Like, a lot of people even complained about the original series going on for too long and becoming convoluted.
It still wouldn't surprise me if they did a one shot, side story, or something as a money grab to go with whatever else they are planning. I can't imagine they'd do a sequel, spin off, or any sort of full serialization.
 
Last edited:

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Maybe we'll just get an artbook or drama cd or something.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Maybe a special tv anime or some episodes on elle,or some one shots
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
[Cross];3700809 said:
Maybe we'll just get an artbook or drama cd or something.
I'm not sure about drama CD since it already released way better one, called animation DVD/Blue-ray.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Aww man, I missed the Illegal Rare discussion. :(

The artwork is gorgeous. If anything, going through the raws gave me huge CLAMP nostalgia. I can't seem to get along with CLAMP's work, but there is something about the mangaka's artistic style that seems to be inspired by it. I like Fukumen's character design the best--he seems the most striking since we can't see his facial expressions, only his mask.

In terms of plot...it didn't really bring anything new, it was just a simple "rescue the damsel in distress" story. The idea of there being rare items and rare people that go through this black market is interesting though. I'm not sure how strong the author's world building is, but if done right it could be really engaging.

The one thing that's underwhelming about the storyline (and I know, its the first chapter) is that the female characters don't really have any agency, which is a shame. Mermaids are quite vicious sailor-drowning creatures, so its disappointing Mirror was just a D.I.D. Maybe more female characters will be introduced later (or maybe Mirror will be fleshed out) but at the moment that's a major thing holding me back from enjoying it. It actually makes the manga seem dated, like it came out years ago instead of 2014.

iShojo is next to start, right? I wonder how the story will have changed from the one shot.

I'm not really surprised at Death Note having another project--there seems to be one every couple of years or so. *shrugs*
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm not sure about drama CD since it already released way better one, called animation DVD/Blue-ray.
Death Note has never been released on blu-ray. The DVD currently is not widely available (Amazon Japan only has one copy left in stock).
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Aww man, I missed the Illegal Rare discussion. :(

The artwork is gorgeous. If anything, going through the raws gave me huge CLAMP nostalgia. I can't seem to get along with CLAMP's work, but there is something about the mangaka's artistic style that seems to be inspired by it. I like Fukumen's character design the best--he seems the most striking since we can't see his facial expressions, only his mask.

In terms of plot...it didn't really bring anything new, it was just a simple "rescue the damsel in distress" story. The idea of there being rare items and rare people that go through this black market is interesting though. I'm not sure how strong the author's world building is, but if done right it could be really engaging.

The one thing that's underwhelming about the storyline (and I know, its the first chapter) is that the female characters don't really have any agency, which is a shame. Mermaids are quite vicious sailor-drowning creatures, so its disappointing Mirror was just a D.I.D. Maybe more female characters will be introduced later (or maybe Mirror will be fleshed out) but at the moment that's a major thing holding me back from enjoying it. It actually makes the manga seem dated, like it came out years ago instead of 2014.

iShojo is next to start, right? I wonder how the story will have changed from the one shot.

I'm not really surprised at Death Note having another project--there seems to be one every couple of years or so. *shrugs*
Comparing it to Clamp :( I thought this felt lifeless in the art department, something just not memorable or anything even now four days after it was added. CLAMP is way more gorgeous in art styles and paneling and detailed environment, action, and astonishing character design (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles).

I think its a huge step down from Nura in terms of art.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
CLAMP is way more gorgeous in art styles and paneling and detailed environment, action, and astonishing character design (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles).
What about the artwork for xxxHolic?
 

DestyNova4th

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
207
Reaction score
94
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I would like the 10th Aniversary of Death Note was celebrated with illustration by other authors, as usual.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Comparing it to Clamp :( I thought this felt lifeless in the art department, something just not memorable or anything even now four days after it was added. CLAMP is way more gorgeous in art styles and paneling and detailed environment, action, and astonishing character design (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles).

I think its a huge step down from Nura in terms of art.
Ah, I'm not saying its at CLAMP's level. CLAMP is like, a class of their own. But still, there was just something about it that reminded me of them. I haven't read Mago, though I read the first chapter and wasn't impressed with its artwork then. I guess its difficult to pin down considering I'm judging one chapter next to dozens of serialized work.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
This year is even 10TH anniversary for Reborn!.Do they do something for it like DN?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top