- Joined
- Oct 20, 2012
- Messages
- 2,404
- Reaction score
- 817
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Yes,but the love for the soccer should be a motivation to read soccer manga and have better possibility to have succes than other sports
Read a series and like it are different things. They can read without vote for it.Yes,but the love for the soccer should be a motivation to read soccer manga and have better possibility to have succes than other sports
Sure. But if the manga is bad, don't matter if you like or no soccer, baseball, basketball. Japanese don't have many tradition in this sport. IMO, it can be a difficult when you make a manga or something like this. It's like USA when make a soccer movie. In 90% cases they are terrible. (Obviously we have exceptions like Giant Killing, that is fantastic.)Yes, but the love for the soccer should be a motivation to read soccer manga and have better possibility to have succes than other sports
Just because a person loves soccer, it doesn't necessary that s/he has to read manga. Some people like to watch the real-life soccer game then the made-ups.Yes,but the love for the soccer should be a motivation to read soccer manga and have better possibility to have succes than other sports
That's of course not the case. I'm a great soccer fan, and I'm not fond of sports series.Yes,but the love for the soccer should be a motivation to read soccer manga and have better possibility to have succes than other sports
I thought Eyeshield 21 was popular.I don't understand why japaneses don't like football,is the most popular sport of the world,more than basket and volley.Maybe this new series will go well against our prerogatives.
Whistle could not have been that popular in Japan. It is currently out of print in book form. Only digital copies are available. Jump is famous for failed soccer manga. One of the anime blog's I visit even posted an article about Jump's lack of success with soccer. Area no Kishi is not exactly a big hit. Middling sales, a failed anime, little merchandise, and no promotion. Giant Killing at least sells well. It definitely is not as famous as Kuroko. I'm not sure if the average, casual, Japanese manga fan has heard of it. The most popular sports manga of all time is about basketball, of course. Historically it seems like the majority of the most famous sports manga are baseball and boxing.There's Whistle!, Area no Kishi, Giant Killing, etc as well.
Different kind of football.I thought Eyeshield 21 was popular.
He means futbol, not American Football.I thought Eyeshield 21 was popular.
Eyeshield 21 is popular, but the american football, itself, isn't really that big in Japan.I thought Eyeshield 21 was popular.
I'm kind of the same way. I like to put away my prejudices if the series is well-regarded, but it's hard. I'm just not a big fan of the genre in manga form. That's why I think it's a testament to how great ES21 was.Read a series and like it are different things. They can read without vote for it.
In my case, the more I like a sport, more I will be critic with a series about this sport.
I don't know if it is like that for everybody, but it is kind of logical. If you like a sport, you want to see this portrayed as well as possible.

Well sure, but that's not really a testament to Soccer's popularity in Japan, neither is it proof of the Japanese disliking it. That's clearly not the case. That was my point, honestly.Whistle could not have been that popular in Japan. It is currently out of print in book form. Only digital copies are available. Jump is famous for failed soccer manga. One of the anime blog's I visit even posted an article about Jump's lack of success with soccer. Area no Kishi is not exactly a big hit. Middling sales, a failed anime, little merchandise, and no promotion. Giant Killing at least sells well. It definitely is not as famous as Kuroko. I'm not sure if the average, casual, Japanese manga fan has heard of it. The most popular sports manga of all time is about basketball, of course. Historically it seems like the majority of the most famous sports manga are baseball and boxing..
I'm not a great fan of the genre, either. Right now I only have Haikyuu!! on my reading list. I like something more real, thats why I liked Slam Dunk (who didn't? XD) and now Haikyuu!!.I'm kind of the same way. I like to put away my prejudices if the series is well-regarded, but it's hard. I'm just not a big fan of the genre in manga form. That's why I think it's a testament to how great ES21 was.![]()
Slam Dunk is kind of boring compared to other sports series, at least in terms of Basketball it certainly is less enjoyable than Kurobas. Significant writing issues, pacing, and just an ending that felt too early held it back. But Im with you on Haikyuu!!!...my favorite sports series in JUMP since Meister.I'm not a great fan of the genre, either. Right now I only have Haikyuu!! on my reading list. I like something more real, thats why I liked Slam Dunk (who didn't? XD) and now Haikyuu!!.
Really? Slam Dunk is considered a masterpiece and I sign below this. The ending was explained by Inoue, he said that he didn't know how to continue the story after that. It indeed left a desire of more, but it was a good ending.Slam Dunk is kind of boring compared to other sports series, at least in terms of Basketball it certainly is less enjoyable than Kurobas. Significant writing issues, pacing, and just an ending that felt too early held it back. But Im with you on Haikyuu!!!...my favorite sports series in JUMP since Meister.
W-what?Slam Dunk is kind of boring compared to other sports series, at least in terms of Basketball it certainly is less enjoyable than Kurobas. Significant writing issues, pacing, and just an ending that felt too early held it back. But Im with you on Haikyuu!!!...my favorite sports series in JUMP since Meister.
Well this is pivotal time for JUMP to try to reach the soccer fans. I always thought it was lacking when I checked out Area no Kishi anime and was wondering why shueisha weeklies had no representation for soccer then Though I question its success if the characters arent in high school in Tokyo Wonder Boys?

Do you have the source of this information? I'm really curious to read what Inoue had to say about the ending.The ending was explained by Inoue, he said that he didn't know how to continue the story after that. It indeed left a desire of more, but it was a good ending.
No, I don't. I'm sure that I read it in this thread. Probably someone knows the source.Do you have the source of this information? I'm really curious to read what Inoue had to say about the ending.
To be more precise, Inoue already decided to end Slam Dunk with the end of Sannou since he started Inter High arc. He said that he can't write the story which is more exciting than Sannou arc.The ending was explained by Inoue, he said that he didn't know how to continue the story after that. It indeed left a desire of more, but it was a good ending.
He mentioned about the Slam Dunk's ending on the Japanese talk show, called Top Runner, on 2000.Do you have the source of this information? I'm really curious to read what Inoue had to say about the ending.
Sorry, but I'm also with others on that one. You can't really compare Slam Dunk with Kuroko; Slam Dunk is one of masterpiece in Japan's manga history. Hack, Slam Dunk is the one who made the basketball genre to be popular in manga industry.Slam Dunk is kind of boring compared to other sports series, at least in terms of Basketball it certainly is less enjoyable than Kurobas. Significant writing issues, pacing, and just an ending that felt too early held it back.
Kurobas characters are handled much better than those in Slam Dunk. Consider the fact that at the end of the day no one barely even knew anything about the other players on the team beyond just the same five. In Kurobas, we not only spend extensive amounts of time with the GoM, but also with the associated partners and then on the teams themselves many of the other characters. This makes each game much more enriched and enjoyable. Slam Dunk never gave this impression at all. Slam Dunk may have the edge in being a bit more realistic basketball, but as an overall product that can easily be sacrificed if well done characters, excellent paced games, and enjoyable off court action is done in a well, believable, and intense manner. Slam Dunk may have been last generations highlight but for basketball series in this modern and contemporary age, Kurobas is easily the new gold standard that all future basketball series will be gauged against.Less enjoyable than Kuroko? Slam Dunk is boring compared to other sports????? really? one of the most popular, acclaimed and important sport mangas of Japan is boring and less enjoyable than Kuroko no Basket and other series?![]()