Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wait what? World Trigger the next FMA?

Right...
No, I didnt say that. I was just saying viz would pick up things from nonWSJ manga that could be the next FMA and not a farming slice of life, I wasnt comparing WT to FMA. Wasnt the person starting this discussion hours ago suggesting that viz needed to give attention to Shonen Sunday instead of just WSJ?
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
No, I didnt say that. I was just saying viz would pick up things from nonWSJ manga that could be the next FMA and not a farming slice of life, I wasnt comparing WT to FMA. Wasnt the person starting this discussion hours ago suggesting that viz needed to give attention to Shonen Sunday instead of just WSJ?
Oh. Sorry. The way you said it kinda seemed like you implied that. My bad. :)
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
I don't think he meant that's bad to support author, it's just bad to support Viz because they're half-assed. Viz is in manga industry something like EA in game industry. They don't really bother with customers opinion that much unless it's not from Jump so SJ have it pretty good but they're so many other Shuiesha/Shogakukan mangas that are left and the bad thing is that there is a big bunch of mangas that would be pretty popular but they don't care about it. I shouldn't be the one who is bothered by it (cause I'm from other country) but they should publish more mangas not only from Jump.
This is why you can't win fans over. You have any idea how much crap they get for NOT PUBLISHING ENOUGH JUMP MANGA these days?
Like, "Why didn't you license Medaka? Why didn't you license Hungry Joker? Why didn't you license Iron Knight? Why didn't you license Soul Catcher(S)? Why don't you license Kuroko no Basket? Why didn't you license Haikyuu? Why didn't you license Hachi?" The list goes on.

They don't have enough resources (as in money) to put out every single manga that you think would be popular with people.

Besides, look at how well Magi sells in US comic shops. You have any idea how much this was requested by people?
Fans were asking for it, but they probably started bugging Viz more after Viz UK licensed it.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/26669.html
#106 MAGI GN VOL 01 923

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/27181.html
#205 MAGI GN VOL 02 681

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/27626.html
#174 MAGI GN VOL 03 734

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/27836.html
#168 MAGI GN VOL 04 636 (Idk how this is in the January chart when it was released in February)
Also for something that was heavily requested, Nisekoi
#154 NISEKOI FALSE LOVE GN VOL 01 697

*Note that print is how Viz makes most of their money, and at brick and mortar stores.

It's selling better than a few others but it's by no means a smash hit in the US. Like the editors have said in a previous podcast, at the end of the day, how many of these fans will actually put their money where their mouth is?
 
Last edited:

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I always figured they stuck to their guns with Jump stuff because of the branding.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
This.
Plus, Zolo.
I'm not ever going to get over that.
Then I fear for your sanity because it doesn't even slightly matter.

Ill fully forgive them for not making DRUMP! into a full services if that becomes a full fledged series in WSJ later in 2014 or even 2015. It oozes the potential of being one of the best manga in the magazine in years.
I usually criticise your hyperbole and pre-release praise, but man I really like this author and it looks pretty, so sure, I'm with you on this. I want it to be a succes and get serialised just to see more of it.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This is why you can't win fans over. You have any idea how much crap they get for NOT PUBLISHING ENOUGH JUMP MANGA these days?
Like, "Why didn't you license Medaka? Why didn't you license Hungry Joker? Why didn't you license Iron Knight? Why didn't you license Soul Catcher(S)? Why don't you license Kuroko no Basket? Why didn't you license Haikyuu? Why didn't you license Hachi?" The list goes on.

They don't have enough resources (as in money) to put out every single manga that you think would be popular with people.

Besides, look at how well Magi sells in US comic shops. You have any idea how much this was requested by people?
Fans were asking for it, but they probably started bugging Viz more after Viz UK licensed it.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/26669.html
#106 MAGI GN VOL 01 923

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/27181.html
#205 MAGI GN VOL 02 681

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/27626.html
#174 MAGI GN VOL 03 734

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/27836.html
#168 MAGI GN VOL 04 636 (Idk how this is in the January chart when it was released in February)
Also for something that was heavily requested, Nisekoi
#154 NISEKOI FALSE LOVE GN VOL 01 697

*Note that print is how Viz makes most of their money, and at brick and mortar stores.

It's selling better than a few others but it's by no means a smash hit in the US. Like the editors have said in a previous podcast, at the end of the day, how many of these fans will actually put their money where their mouth is?
It's really this. Some fans really think that publishers have to publish something they like immediately after they ask. There are other, worse than the first ones, who ask and when it is published, don't buy it. After see that statistics (I didn't know the site, thanks), I realize that here in Brazil the publishers really do a heroic work, because manga sells less than this here.
It is not complaning nor not buying titles of Jump because they don't release Sunday titles that the industry will get better.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
just to understand. nisekoi sold 697 copies in 1 month in the whole us? can't believe that....
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
just to understand. nisekoi sold 697 copies in 1 month in the whole us? can't believe that....
Did you expect more or less?
By what I understood, they don't cover all stores, so it can be more.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
just to understand. nisekoi sold 697 copies in 1 month in the whole us? can't believe that....
Thats just a list of the number of copies one of their distributors (Diamond) sold to comic bookstores. Diamond doesnt manage viz's sells on amzn and etc.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
oh, alright. thought the number seemed rather small. if you make 1$ profit for each one you wouldn't even get 1.000$ which could never be enough to pay for everything they need. is Diamond big in Us? Never heard about them. Wallmart doesn't sell manga? which store are even alive currently? the big book chains closed a lot in the last years.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
iShojo got an official Twitter account.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ill fully forgive them for not making DRUMP! into a full services if that becomes a full fledged series in WSJ later in 2014 or even 2015. It oozes the potential of being one of the best manga in the magazine in years.
What is the title of the swimming manga? It looks pretty schway. The Jump Next preview a couple months ago really interested me.



I just wish Viz expanded their line a smidge more. OPM and World Trigger should get physical releases. They earned some respect with me for licensing Assasination Classroom, Soma and Master Keaton. I just really believe though that Silver Spoon can sell decently here.
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Regarding the sales numbers, as stated, it accounts for many brick and mortar comic shops. It doesn't account for like, Walmart, or online retailers like Rightstuf and Amazon. Though to my understanding, sales from online retailers make up less than what brick and mortar sells. It also doesn't include Barnes & Noble.

No one could probably accurately predict what the total print sales are. If I were to guess, maybe you can multiply the number 3 or 4? But that's a generous estimate.

Point still being that Viz is working with a fanbase substantially smaller than Japan (obviously). I'd say it's a safe bet to say that they are printing less than 5000-7500 units each for titles that aren't One Piece, Bleach, and Naruto, (leaving out their non-Jump stuff) so they have to make wise investments.

iShojo got an official Twitter account.
Really?? Lol wow.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What??Ishoujo an official account and still nothing for Illegal rare,Tokyo wonder boys,stealth symphony that are many better than it???

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Still nothing color pages...
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
What??Ishoujo an official account and still nothing for Illegal rare,Tokyo wonder boys,stealth symphony that are many better than it???

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Still nothing color pages...
From my own opinion and from what I've seen from others, iShoujo is easily the highest regarded among the four new series.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
From my own opinion and from what I've seen from others, iShoujo is easily the highest regarded among the four new series.
I'm curious. Can you tell me what you mean by that?
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What????Instead I've found it the worst among all four sereis...
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm curious. Can you tell me what you mean by that?
What what I've seen of the opinions of other people.

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

What????Instead I've found it the worst among all four sereis...
Have you even read it?
Judging by your previous posts it seems you just don't like the genre so are automatically assuming it's not going to be good.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
What????Instead I've found it the worst among all four sereis...
Lol, to me it's one of the best among the new series, interesting theme, a bit fast paced but you can see with c03 that ecchi will not be its main selling point and the series will most likely work well depending on how the author portrays the relationship between characters and how interesting it is. Illegal Rare is boring (dropped), Stealth Symphony is nice but I'm waiting for c03 to make myself a final opinion. Tokyo Wonder Boys I don't know since I don't plan on reading it.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top