Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Eh, I entirely disagree. Countless generic manga start up and get cancelled every year in Japan, especially in Jump.
Yes, nothing nowadays is going to be absolutely original because chances are it has been done before, but a lot of the more popular series nowadays have unique aspects to them that put them apart from the onslaught of other generic crap they compete against. I I think it's weird for series like Nisekoi that do absolutely nothing new or original whatsoever to succeed nowadays.
Could just be the art. I will say, I don't really care much for Nisekoi, but I do like Komi's art.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I honestly don't know why. It's really generic and repetitive. It's not "bad" per-se, but it'd be a stretch to call it a good rom-com in my opinion.
I know it's popular, and won't be cancelled. I just don't see the huge appeal.
That's a matter of perspective. You find it generic in repetitive. I find Nisekoi endearing, exceptionally likable, funny, and sweet, with a cast of interesting, well written, likable characters. You may be looking for the wrong things out of a love comedy. The genre should be character driven, with the emphasis placed on the interaction between characters. The type of overarching framing stories that work well for manga like One Piece usually just interfere when superimposed over comedy, romance, or drama. It takes the focus away from the characters, their relationships, and interaction. Most of the time it just ends up as a bad gimmick. Komi Naoshi is very good at writing characters, convincingly depicting character interaction, and building relationships. And that might be why it is popular. That is what appeals to me, anyway. You might not see the appeal because you are looking in the wrong place. You can not be faulted for that. It is your free time, and you should not have to defend what entertains you. But you might be unfair calling Nisekoi generic and repetitive. That is more a matter of holding the series to the wrong standards, and judging by the wrong set of values.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Eh, I entirely disagree. Countless generic manga start up and get cancelled every year in Japan, especially in Jump.
It isn't really good idea to compare the series which got cancelled and the series which actually got popular. Yes, many series in Jump got cancelled BECAUSE it had poor ranking. For Nisekoi, it had good ranking, so it lead to become successful.

Okay, I'll try to spoon feed you. What I meant is that the series which got good reception in Jump will get popular really fast and that's why Nisekoi got popular.

Yes, nothing nowadays is going to be absolutely original because chances are it has been done before, but a lot of the more popular series nowadays have unique aspects to them that put them apart from the onslaught of other generic crap they compete against. I I think it's weird for series like Nisekoi that do absolutely nothing new or original whatsoever to succeed nowadays.
I'm not sure; I, personally, think lots of popular series are pretty generic. Plus, the rom-com really can't do lots of original stuffs like fantasy series; so, people like generic stuff in rom-com series.

Furthermore, I think you should better ask that kind of question to the people who actually like Nisekoi, like Leoat12. I'm just a person who make assumption based on people's reaction here (I'm not sure you actually read what I wrote).
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
[Cross];3741014 said:
Could just be the art. I will say, I don't really care much for Nisekoi, but I do like Komi's art.
That's probable. Komi's art is really nice, same with Haikyuu (another unbelievably generic series that does absolutely nothing original yet has some really neat art). Despite manga being a visual medium, I really wish that people wouldn't vote for a series just because of their art... I mean art is important and all, but for me personally, story and characters are most important.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's a matter of perspective. You find it generic in repetitive. I find Nisekoi endearing, exceptionally likable, funny, and sweet, with a cast of interesting, well written, likable characters. You may be looking for the wrong things out of a love comedy. The genre should be character driven, with the emphasis placed on the interaction between characters. The type of overarching framing stories that work well for manga like One Piece usually just interfere when superimposed over comedy, romance, or drama. It takes the focus away from the characters, their relationships, and interaction. Most of the time it just ends up as a bad gimmick. Komi Naoshi is very good at writing characters, convincingly depicting character interaction, and building relationships. And that might be why it is popular. That is what appeals to me, anyway. You might not see the appeal because you are looking in the wrong place. You can not be faulted for that. It is your free time, and you should not have to defend what entertains you. But you might be unfair calling Nisekoi generic and repetitive. That is more a matter of holding the series to the wrong standards, and judging by the wrong set of values.
Hm, well I wouldn't say it's the wrong set of values, it might just be /different/ values.
After all, there's more than one way to cook an egg.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Despite manga being a visual medium, I really wish that people wouldn't vote for a series just because of their art... I mean art is important and all, but for me personally, story and characters are most important.
Wait, you actually think the popular series get lot of vote because of artwork?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Okay, I'll try to spoon feed you. What I meant is that the series which got good reception in Jump will get popular really fast and that's why Nisekoi got popular.
Do you seriously think I don't already know this...? I'm not sure you actually read what I wrote.

That's a matter of perspective. You find it generic in repetitive. I find Nisekoi endearing, exceptionally likable, funny, and sweet, with a cast of interesting, well written, likable characters. You may be looking for the wrong things out of a love comedy. The genre should be character driven, with the emphasis placed on the interaction between characters. The type of overarching framing stories that work well for manga like One Piece usually just interfere when superimposed over comedy, romance, or drama. It takes the focus away from the characters, their relationships, and interaction. Most of the time it just ends up as a bad gimmick. Komi Naoshi is very good at writing characters, convincingly depicting character interaction, and building relationships. And that might be why it is popular. That is what appeals to me, anyway. You might not see the appeal because you are looking in the wrong place. You can not be faulted for that. It is your free time, and you should not have to defend what entertains you. But you might be unfair calling Nisekoi generic and repetitive. That is more a matter of holding the series to the wrong standards, and judging by the wrong set of values.
Eh, this is a thought out answer so I'll thank you for taking the time to type it out. However I just don't see any of the characters or interactions as especially well written. They aren't bad by any means, but I've just seen it all before and done better.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's probable. Komi's art is really nice, same with Haikyuu (another unbelievably generic series that does absolutely nothing original yet has some really neat art). Despite manga being a visual medium, I really wish that people wouldn't vote for a series just because of their art... I mean art is important and all, but for me personally, story and characters are most important.
People have different values after all, but I don't see there being any harm in having style over substance, some times style can be substance.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Wait, you actually think the popular series get lot of vote because of artwork?
Well with Nisekoi and Haikyuu I can't think of any other explanation. Especially with Haikyuu which is just an incredibly by the numbers sports series that has unique art and fujoshi appeal.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Do you seriously think I don't already know this...? I'm not sure you actually read what I wrote.
Then, why did you compare it with the series that got cancelled because of poor ranking to the series which actually got good reception? If you actually know that, then you shouldn't ask me about this.

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Well with Nisekoi and Haikyuu I can't think of any other explanation. Especially with Haikyuu which is just an incredibly by the numbers sports series that has unique art and fujoshi appeal.
It sounds like you don't really know much about past axed series with high quality artworks in Jump.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Then, why did you compare it with the series that got cancelled because of poor ranking to the series which actually got good reception? If you actually know that, then you shouldn't ask me about this.
...Dude... I'm saying that countless of generic series that cancelled every year so it's foolish for you to say that generic series are more likely to get popular because that's what people are familiar with.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
...Dude... I'm saying that countless of generic series that cancelled every year so it's foolish for you to say that generic series are more likely to get popular because that's what people are familiar with.
Okay, maybe I have to be more specific for you. I was talking about the manga series in general, not just about Jump series.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
That's a matter of perspective. You find it generic in repetitive. I find Nisekoi endearing, exceptionally likable, funny, and sweet, with a cast of interesting, well written, likable characters. You may be looking for the wrong things out of a love comedy. The genre should be character driven, with the emphasis placed on the interaction between characters. The type of overarching framing stories that work well for manga like One Piece usually just interfere when superimposed over comedy, romance, or drama. It takes the focus away from the characters, their relationships, and interaction. Most of the time it just ends up as a bad gimmick. Komi Naoshi is very good at writing characters, convincingly depicting character interaction, and building relationships. And that might be why it is popular. That is what appeals to me, anyway. You might not see the appeal because you are looking in the wrong place. You can not be faulted for that. It is your free time, and you should not have to defend what entertains you. But you might be unfair calling Nisekoi generic and repetitive. That is more a matter of holding the series to the wrong standards, and judging by the wrong set of values.
Do you read the manga or do you only watch the anime?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I loved the part of Nisekoi that the anime will cover. After about halfway through though, it felt like to me the quality of the chapters began to drop with Komi putting the characters in outrageous situations for the sake of being outrageous (the bane of romcoms in my opinion). Though I'm still totally on the Haikyu!! train. Sure, it hasn't redefined the shonen sports manga but it does it well which is more than I can say about a lot of manga :p
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
That's a matter of perspective. You find it generic in repetitive. I find Nisekoi endearing, exceptionally likable, funny, and sweet, with a cast of interesting, well written, likable characters. You may be looking for the wrong things out of a love comedy.

Komi Naoshi is very good at writing characters, convincingly depicting character interaction, and building relationships. And that might be why it is popular. That is what appeals to me, anyway. You might not see the appeal because you are looking in the wrong place. You can not be faulted for that. It is your free time, and you should not have to defend what entertains you. But you might be unfair calling Nisekoi generic and repetitive. That is more a matter of holding the series to the wrong standards, and judging by the wrong set of values.
How many love manga did you actually read to say the bolded part? To be honest, since you only watch the anime you don't even qualify to make a good judgement call about Nisekoi as a series. The first volumes are great[the art was instantly endearing], but it get's worse with time, which is the entire point people are trying to make. Adding another and another and another love interest for the sake of elongating a series is typical for many romcoms and also often the reason why they detoriate.

Interactions and bulding releationships can be just that, genereic and repetitive. As Rica_Patin already wrote, it's been done before and better at that. There is only so much that you can do in romance and when you've read 5+ series, you begin to see patterns, especially when they start to get longer and longer. I would chose Yoko Kamio over Naoshi Komi any day for example.
Cat Street or HYD are better series than Nisekoi could ever be. :3c

It sounds like you don't really know much about past axed series with high quality artworks in Jump.
The argument was that the main focus should be on the characters/plot, not that series with good art stay in Jump. How often do people need to remind you that you are missing the point? :derp
 
Last edited:

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Comparing shoujo with shonen isn't really a good comparison...
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
If you look for originality in everything you read, you will stop in the first pages of a manga, book or anything you're reading. Nowadays, nothing is completely original and I bet that the majority of series you read are kind of "generic and repetitive", so I don't understand why people are complaining about Nisekoi when they also read generic and repetitive stuff. I don't like Nisekoi because it is incredibly original, I like because it is fun and entertains me, what's the main goal to read a manga.

About the story of Nisekoi, I can say that your opinions don't reflect the majority of the readers since the sales and popularity just increase. I agree with Kaiten in his previous post, you are seeing the series under a wrong vision.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
The argument was that the main focus should be on the characters/plot, not that series with good art stay in Jump. How often do people need to remind you that you are missing the point? :derp
I'm just disagreeing that Nisekoi and Haikyuu didn't got the vote because of the artwork. I think you are the one who missed what I'm actually talking about. :p
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
About the story of Nisekoi, I can say that your opinions don't reflect the majority of the readers since the sales and popularity just increase. I agree with Kaiten in his previous post, you are seeing the series under a wrong vision.
Hm, I don't know if I agree with the idea that if we don't connect with a story and/or characters that we're doing it wrong. Also, the fact that someone is in the minority doesn't make their opinion any less valid. There is no right or wrong, just different, and that's what's great about consuming/critiquing art. Nisekoi doesn't really connect with me, I don't really like it. Sure it doesn't change the fact that a lot of other people do, but it doesn't really mean I'm wrong, or right for that matter.
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I would like to hear a few opinions as to why Assassination Classroom is good.
Would like to know what people like about that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top