Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Yeah I live in the west, thats pretty much what I meant lol.
OK, but what was being talked is the magazine. The magazine is exclusive Japanese, so you have to specify. The conversation started about Cyborg Roggy being a substitute for Gintama in the magazine and the magazine even postponing its beginning for Gintama ending.
coud the serialization of Cyborg Roggy have also been postponed up til now due to Gintama ending and it being quite fit as a replacement?
 
Last edited:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
First,
Dragon Ball ended in May of 1995, issue 25!
One Piece started in July of 1997, issue 34!
This is 2 years of difference!
During that time the magazine had Rurouni Kenshin as pillar if we're only talking of battle manga, and Slam Dunk if we're talking of any series.
One Piece in no way substituted Dragon Ball in the magazine.
Some things take more time than others. You won't see me mentioning a specific time frame in the earlier posts. :P
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I'm sorry if someone discus or mention this before, but do you guys kinda think Hero Academia might be the next Hitman Reborn? I know for a fact it's not replacing Naruto nor One Piece, but from the ranking and famdom the series have gotten over in the past months, this series might be the next Hitman Reborn.
In other words, very popular but not popular enough to become, "The Big 3".
The series in the past months has ranked in the Top 3 and even had 3 consecutive 1st places. So what are you basing yourself by saying "very popular but not popular enough ...".
What is your FACT that isn't replacing Naruto? And that isn't replacing One Piece? And what with the word "replacing"? Replacing in what? Be more explicit, please!
If you're talking of the Big 3, specify what you want to say by that as well. Are you just saying Top 3 in popularity? Sales?(and of the Magazine's titles or of all titles. Where?) or are you talking of the name given in the West. For the name given in the West, that is fixed for One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. Because other way nobody agrees in what is what.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,234
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Saying a series replaces/substitutes another requires you to assume that the same people will consume the new series...which you can't do

I think most people mean that it will fill some sort of nebulous "popularity void" or something.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Some things take more time than others. You won't see me mentioning a specific time frame in the earlier posts. :P
Doesn't matter if you mention a specific time frame or not. One Piece didn't substituted Dragon Ball specially because it came 2 years later. So, unless you're talking of some specific kind of substitution, then explain it! Don't just talk of a complicated and not direct type of substitution while not explaining of what you're really talking about.
 

NiNoZaPo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
6
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Boku no Hero Academia had One Piece performance in its first volumes and very good rankings. I don't know what you meant. lol
It has everything TO BE the next great success in Jump. There is no evidence that it is popularity will decrease anytime soon. lol

Really, explain yourself better...
No need to be rude.
All I'm saying what comes up, must come down.
I feel like Hero Academia is becoming too popular too-too fast. That sounds like a good thing, huge fandom and tons of fan art, but my question is how long you think the mangaka can keep this up? I feel like very soon the mangaka would run out of ideas and just focus on big fights and the frog girl. Kinda like Hitman Reborn, big fights and fashion ideas for cosplayers.
I don't think Hero Academia will be ax anytime soon, but it's nothing new for WSJ.

Well the "Big 3" will always be Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach, so I dont understand what you mean. If your saying that the series will never be as popular as those 3 but as popular as Reborn, im sure Boku no Hero has better debuts then Naruto, Bleach and Reborn. I dont think it will ever reach One Piece popularity, I think Naruto popularity in the country of Japan isn't that much of a reach
There will be always be a new "The Big 3" for WSJ.
What I meant by Baku No Hero being the next Hitman reborn: It's big, it's popular but it'll won't hit the top of the charts in the long run.
Not trying to come off as being a punk, but Baku No Hero feels like another typical battle series, but with american superpowers.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,234
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Saying something is going to lose popularity is as feeble as saying something is going to get more popular. There needs to be evidence to suggest it. BnH is clearly on an upward trend.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Because gut feeling is more reliable than actual data, y'know.

For what it was, Hitman Reborn was a success in my book. It spanned over 400+ chapters, which is pretty much an eternity in manga years. I was also being doubtful about Assasination Classroom or Shokugeki's popularity, but hey, it turns out they are doing great so far.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
No need to be rude.
All I'm saying what comes up, must come down.
I feel like Hero Academia is becoming too popular too-too fast. That sounds like a good thing, huge fandom and tons of fan art, but my question is how long you think the mangaka can keep this up? I feel like very soon the mangaka would run out of ideas and just focus on big fights and the frog girl. Kinda like Hitman Reborn, big fights and fashion ideas for cosplayers.
I don't think Hero Academia will be ax anytime soon, but it's nothing new for WSJ.
I was only astonished.
One Piece had the same kind of excredibily fast popularity and we all know where it is now. What becomes popular fast doesn't necessarily has to become unpopular fast. As for how the author will handle the series, we will have to see, nobody here can predict what will happen tomorrow, even more years ahead. What we can say so far is that Boku no Hero Academia started incredibly well and has a potential that we hasn't see for years now.
I'm almost sure that Reborn didn't start as a success since it started as a comedy manga and quickly became a battle shonen, probably to save the series.
 

NiNoZaPo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
6
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
*sigh* Fine, sorry for having an opinion. :(
All I'm saying Baku No Hero isn't really new nor fresh for WSJ. The series is following all WSJ footnotes perfectly: Friendship, Cool fights, nice character designs, but the plot feels too weak.
I don't mind a simple story but if the story just giving me nothing but flashy action and cool character design, eventually I might became bored of the series.
Yes, I'm looking at this from my perspective compared to everyone else, but that's me.
Again, sorry, I won't ever talk about Baku No Hero ever again.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
For what it was, Hitman Reborn was a success in my book. It spanned over 400+ chapters, which is pretty much an eternity in manga years. I was also being doubtful about Assasination Classroom or Shokugeki's popularity, but hey, it turns out they are doing great so far.
The success of Reborn is put in doubt for many reasons... It stayed in the mangazine for 8 years, but half of this was in the bottom (appoximately, I don't know the actual number and it is probably a bit less, before someone ask) and many people defend that it was cancelled. I don't believe that it was cancelled, but that there were reasons, there were.

Assassination Classroom didn't have a great increase in popularity since the anime started by what I saw... Before the anime I said that it wouldn't increase that much because it was nearly it is limit and it ended up happening so far. Let's see the next volume sales to say for sure. Shokugeki no Soma has more potential to benefit of an anime, I'm exciting to see the effect it will have. In my crazy dreams, I see Shokugeki selling like Haikyuu or even better. :zomg
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No need to be rude.
All I'm saying what comes up, must come down.
I feel like Hero Academia is becoming too popular too-too fast. That sounds like a good thing, huge fandom and tons of fan art, but my question is how long you think the mangaka can keep this up? I feel like very soon the mangaka would run out of ideas and just focus on big fights and the frog girl. Kinda like Hitman Reborn, big fights and fashion ideas for cosplayers.
I don't think Hero Academia will be ax anytime soon, but it's nothing new for WSJ.



There will be always be a new "The Big 3" for WSJ.
What I meant by Baku No Hero being the next Hitman reborn: It's big, it's popular but it'll won't hit the top of the charts in the long run.
Not trying to come off as being a punk, but Baku No Hero feels like another typical battle series, but with american superpowers.
Not sure what your talking about. Your not the mangaka dude, you have no idea what he has in store for the readers of Boku no Hero lol. Yeah you think it'll run out of ideas because your not the creator of the series. How do you even become popular too fast?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The hero world is vast and all, the comic market in the USA pratically lives from this. Also, Boku no Hero Academia seems like that it is only starting.
Apparently, nobody understood what he meant...
 

NiNoZaPo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
6
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Not sure what your talking about. Your not the mangaka dude, you have no idea what he has in store for the readers of Boku no Hero lol. Yeah you think it'll run out of ideas because your not the creator of the series. How do you even become popular too fast?
Yes, I'm not a mangaka. I never said I was a mangaka, but I know a lot about basic story telling and I do read stories/interviews about real mangakas. And one thing I learn about grabbing readers attention, at least in today's shonen, be very flashy. That isn't a bad thing, I get it, but how long do you think he can keep that flash lit? So far he's doing a good job but he have to got back and work on that story. Sadly, he told the whole story in 3 chapters.
Main character living in a super power world with no powers, a nobody, but wants to prove he's can be a hero...Cool. That's sounds like a fun story, maybe he got some other talents, maybe he got a different type of power, maybe he got to think outside the box to beat the bad guys--No wait, he got his powers...Cool...Now what? Now he's a hero and...Yeah. Cool. He's a hero. Now he can fight and do hero things...The End.
Even though the whole point of the series was about him not having any powers, but who cares.

Baku No Hero had a good idea but kill it, for me at least, by giving main character his powers from the very start.
Yes, the series is very popular, that's a fact, but you can't tell me Baku No Hero is a great story.
I love Dragon Ball, I love Baki, but those are not great stories. FUN, but not great.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,234
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yes, I'm not a mangaka. I never said I was a mangaka, but I know a lot about basic story telling and I do read stories/interviews about real mangakas. And one thing I learn about grabbing readers attention, at least in today's shonen, be very flashy. That isn't a bad thing, I get it, but how long do you think he can keep that flash lit? So far he's doing a good job but he have to got back and work on that story. Sadly, he told the whole story in 3 chapters.
Main character living in a super power world with no powers, a nobody, but wants to prove he's can be a hero...Cool. That's sounds like a fun story, maybe he got some other talents, maybe he got a different type of power, maybe he got to think outside the box to beat the bad guys--No wait, he got his powers...Cool...Now what? Now he's a hero and...Yeah. Cool. He's a hero. Now he can fight and do hero things...The End.
Even though the whole point of the series was about him not having any powers, but who cares.

Baku No Hero had a good idea but kill it, for me at least, by giving main character his powers from the very start.
I don't think this is a matter of the actual story material. Usually series are on an upward trend until they get an anime, and that usually effects popularity in some way. It's huge for some, minimal for others, it depends on a variety of factors. People discover series at different times as well, so popularity can snowball. Now, you might end up being completely right about the story, who knows? But that doesn't mean it'll get less popular any time soon.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
*sigh* Fine, sorry for having an opinion. :(
All I'm saying Baku No Hero isn't really new nor fresh for WSJ. The series is following all WSJ footnotes perfectly: Friendship, Cool fights, nice character designs, but the plot feels too weak.
I don't mind a simple story but if the story just giving me nothing but flashy action and cool character design, eventually I might became bored of the series.
Yes, I'm looking at this from my perspective compared to everyone else, but that's me.
Again, sorry, I won't ever talk about Baku No Hero ever again.
It's not about you having an opinion that BnH wouldn't be successful, it's more like we are skeptical that things would turn out as you predicted because you're basing your argument on personal taste rather than hard data. There have been countless times in WSJ thread when someone calls a series is doomed to fail/would become the next big 3 only to be proven otherwise later on.

No need to apologize, because you didn't make any offensive remarks to begin with. Feel free to discuss BnH whenever you want to.

The success of Reborn is put in doubt for many reasons... It stayed in the mangazine for 8 years, but half of this was in the bottom (appoximately, I don't know the actual number and it is probably a bit less, before someone ask) and many people defend that it was cancelled. I don't believe that it was cancelled, but that there were reasons, there were.

Assassination Classroom didn't have a great increase in popularity since the anime started by what I saw... Before the anime I said that it wouldn't increase that much because it was nearly it is limit and it ended up happening so far. Let's see the next volume sales to say for sure. Shokugeki no Soma has more potential to benefit of an anime, I'm exciting to see the effect it will have. In my crazy dreams, I see Shokugeki selling like Haikyuu or even better. :zomg
Ah yes, but it completely depends on how one defines "success" of certain series. Is it their longevity? Is it about narrative experience? Is it about sales figures? Perhaps one day someone would say that Bleach isn't a successful series simply because the story does not roll in the direction they want it to be, while sales figures might provide evidence for contradicting arguments. I'd say Hitman Reborn is more or less one of the series which success is undermined by the fact that the plotline did not please many people.

I am surprised that Haikyuu sells better than Souma. As far as I know, there are not many people (esp. Japanese) have jones for sport series, even if they do, they tend to be very selective about it.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Does anybody knows if Haikyuu!! is in need of a full series reprint or if it reached it limit in buyers? Majority of the volumes are out of the daily Top 500 and the old ones that are still there(volume 11, 12, 13) are below position 350. The most recently is also not that good in position 188.

What was the last number of copies in print? 12 Millions copies with 14 volumes out, right? If that is the case, and I hope it is, there is an average of 857k copies per volume! But volume 14 already sold 810k and during the volume Oricon ranking this year, the new volumes sold around 700k(the 5 released that year) and the old volumes around 500k.
I hope that there is still more demand and a reprint is now overdue. I hope at least a 200k increase in every volume, making 1 Million copies per volume!

Looking at the top 50 best selling manga, 12 of them are Sport manga. 24% of the top 50!
 
Last edited:

NiNoZaPo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
6
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I don't think this is a matter of the actual story material. Usually series are on an upward trend until they get an anime, and that usually effects popularity in some way. It's huge for some, minimal for others, it depends on a variety of factors. People discover series at different times as well, so popularity can snowball. Now, you might end up being completely right about the story, who knows? But that doesn't mean it'll get less popular any time soon.
And yes, I agree. It's a popular series, THAT'S A FACT! STRAIGHT UP FACT! And I'm not saying the series will fall apart any time soon. Nope. Matter of a fact, I think the series will become more popular once the anime comes out. Big time. But once that anime series is over, Baku No Hero will be just another fun WSJ series. I'm NOT SAYING IT WILL BE AX, nope-nope, but nobody going to try and copy No Hero.
 
Last edited:

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I am surprised that Haikyuu sells better than Souma. As far as I know, there are not many people (esp. Japanese) have jones for sport series, even if they do, they tend to be very selective about it.
Touch was selling around 1 Million per volume. Slam Dunk volumes sold better than Dragon Ball! Kuroko no Basket was also a huge hit! Right now a lot of sport series are selling really well.
Given that Haikyuu!! is an amazing sport series and it has anime, and a successful at that, while Soma still doesn't have any anime. Is not hard to see why Haikyuu!! is selling more.
Also note how Haikyuu!! before having an anime already was selling more than Shokugeki no Soma.

I hope that the anime of Shokugeki no Soma has an explosive positive impact in sales for the series. It totally deserves!
In reality I'm hoping the 4 new Shueisha's anime series(Shokugeki no Soma, Owari no Seraph, Kekkai Sensen and Ore no Monogatari) in the Spring Season get a explosive boost.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ah yes, but it completely depends on how one defines "success" of certain series. Is it their longevity? Is it about narrative experience? Is it about sales figures? Perhaps one day someone would say that Bleach isn't a successful series simply because the story does not roll in the direction they want it to be, while sales figures might provide evidence for contradicting arguments. I'd say Hitman Reborn is more or less one of the series which success is undermined by the fact that the plotline did not please many people.

I am surprised that Haikyuu sells better than Souma. As far as I know, there are not many people (esp. Japanese) have jones for sport series, even if they do, they tend to be very selective about it.
Here is normally talked about commercial success. I think that what makes a successful series is its stability, manage to end while still popular. Taking extremely example first, Dragon Ball and Slam Dunk ended when they are in its peak. Naruto had a decrease in the last years, but it also ended with a incredible popularity. I could say this about Death Note and Bakuman as well... Those are the examples I can remember. Reborn was long, but it didn't end well in the charts, it was not a triumphal ending. Bleach is going to the same path, it was once every popular, but now it is in process of declining. They are not complete success because they didn't manage to maintain its popularity.

How many year you don't come in this thread? Haikyuu sells more than Shokugeki for a couple of months (more than a year I think). :lmao

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

Does anybody knows if Haikyuu!! is in need of a full series reprint or if it reached it limit in buyers? Majority of the volumes are out of the daily Top 500 and the old ones that are still there(volume 11, 12, 13) are below position 350. The most recently is also not that good in position 188.
No reprint scheduled. The anime ended, it is expected.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top