Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I'm still waiting for Toriyama new weekly/montly series (even though I know that it's not gonna happen). :sad
Toriyama is starting a manga with the mangaka of Zetman in Weekly Young Jump. So is possible that the series will be weekly!
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Toriyama is starting a manga with the mangaka of Zetman in Weekly Young Jump. So is possible that the series will be weekly!
Wait, what?
 

piau9000

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
80
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Toriyama is starting a manga with the mangaka of Zetman in Weekly Young Jump. So is possible that the series will be weekly!
That sounds really promising!
According to some sites Toriyama will do the story and Katsura (Zetman, I''s) will do the art.
Katsura art is one of the most cool arts that I've seen.

They worked together before. They produced two short stories. "Sachie-chan Good!" and "Jiya".
Let's hope that this one will last a little longer... XD
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Gintama - The mangaka said that it is entering the final stretch and that he's doing the preparations to the end.
Where and when exactly did Sorachi say this?

It seriously shouldn't matter which name you want to use. Nobody's an elitist because they use the different 2-3 word name. Especially if it's the actual title of the series that the author gave it. You're elitist if you talk down to people for not doing something and dismiss people as "not real fans" for not doing this or that.
Agreeing so much. I remember a certain member saying that people should not call Assassination Classroom "AssClass" because it's not fitting for the series or something... but what does it matter, really. Some might use it just for shortening the name, others get a giggle out of it, etc etc. Complaining how people call a certain series simply is acting like an elitist who thinks he/she has gathered so much Otaku knowledge that they can decide what's the right way to call this manga or anime. It's just a name, no reason to analyze it to death and dictate others the proper way to call it. It feels like a weird way to try to stick out of the masses, because hey you're not like the brainless majority, you actually thought about it and came up with the perfect name!

Not that I dislike analyzing the name, as some might have more meaning than you first realize (I'm looking at Gintama for example :3c). Informing others is fine and nice, but there's never one perfect way on what to call a certain manga, so don't try to ridicule or lecture others about their "naming sense".
 

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
6,522
Reaction score
61,205
Gender
Female
Country
The Wall
Where and when exactly did Sorachi say this?
I've read something about this here :
Luno said:
Sorachi sensei from volume 57

"Thanks for buying Gintama volume 57. With this volume the Shogun assasination arc is still going, I don’t know why but when entering in his story some readers started to say “is Gintama ending?” or “ I’ll support you, so please keep going” . I don’t get where this readers get this opinion and keep telling “I’m worried that he is ending that on his own accord”. I have to deal with all this and I would say, please keep to have faith in Sorachi sensei. People thinks that this serializzation is an halfassed one, but even I can make some underplots, As 10 years have floated I’ve scattered around some big and little shit, and I’m not leaving them out. Readers would expect me to just throw some shit as normal gorilla will do, but maybe I’m being too cool, I always take a shit in the toilet, and if some remain stuck, I clean it all, maybe because I’m a nevrotic gorilla. I wanted to say that. In some extent this is a story about delicacy, so just wait assholes. In the current situation, maybe you expect me to just scattered some shit aroun, but if you’ll notice my dick hanging out from my pants it’s jut because I was watching some porn on the internet, that’s why. Where’s the delicacy in this story.

——

And with that volume 57 “shit cleaning is ending,or started"special comes to an end. In a word Gintama is not ending. But the setting for his final is started. But seen how covered in shit it his is hard to understand how. So guys don’t worry about the end and just keep to enjoy my work. I still want it to going on, so please support me until the last of it".
Vol 57 was released on Jan 2015.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nii

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Where and when exactly did Sorachi say this?
He announced that in the latest volume

Agreeing so much. I remember a certain member saying that people should not call Assassination Classroom "AssClass" because it's not fitting for the series or something... but what does it matter, really. Some might use it just for shortening the name, others get a giggle out of it, etc etc. Complaining how people call a certain series simply is acting like an elitist who thinks he/she has gathered so much Otaku knowledge that they can decide what's the right way to call this manga or anime. It's just a name, no reason to analyze it to death and dictate others the proper way to call it. It feels like a weird way to try to stick out of the masses, because hey you're not like the brainless majority, you actually thought about it and came up with the perfect name!

Not that I dislike analyzing the name, as some might have more meaning than you first realize (I'm looking at Gintama for example :3c). Informing others is fine and nice, but there's never one perfect way on what to call a certain manga, so don't try to ridicule or lecture others about their "naming sense".
Thanks for mixing up the intention. And for the record nobody was complaining about anything. I just mentioned that on the colour pages the author himself is wiritng "My Hero Acadamia"
There a some people who are posting in a forced way e.g. Ansatsu Kyōshitsu instead of AssClass or Assassination Classroom. Look at the official homepage of Shonen Jump: http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/index.html where you can find the international titles of all running WSJ series. MH is an international board, isn't it? Or do you see people writing One Piece as Wan pisu? I guess it is an Otaku thing and similiar to the "shinigami syndrom" aka "KageBunshinNoJutsu-snydrom". Probably it is more fancy to use the "supposed" original name just like a lot of "otakus" used "Toukyou Kushu" for Tokyo Ghoul (seriously "Toukyou"?).
 
Last edited:

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I've read something about this here :

Vol 57 was released on Jan 2015.
What a very Sorachi-like response, I love it :XD

Thanks for mixing up the intention. And for the record nobody was complaining about anything. I just mentioned that on the colour pages the author himself is wiritng "My Hero Acadamia"
There a some people who are posting in a forced way e.g. Ansatsu Kyōshitsu instead of AssClass or Assassination Classroom. Look at the official homepage of Shonen Jump: http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/index.html where you can find the international titles of all running WSJ series. MH is an international board, isn't it? Or do you see people writing One Piece as Wan pisu? I guess it is an Otaku thing and similiar to the "shinigami syndrom" aka "KageBunshinNoJutsu-snydrom". Probably it is more fancy to use the "supposed" original name just like a lot of "otakus" used "Toukyou Kushu" for Tokyo Ghoul (seriously "Toukyou"?).
I wasn't attacking you, just speaking in general here.
As for names, yes I've actually seen people write Wan pisu XD Like I said, people have different reasons for how to call a specific manga, and that's just fine. Don't really care too much about it (though it can be funny at times). Personally I would rather discuss the content of the actual manga and not what's the proper way to call the series, that's what I meant.
 

kobester11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 8, 2013
Messages
148
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
I guess Lady Justice is becoming more interesting imo. It's becoming spiderman-ish story wise. And you can see the american comic influence all over it.
 

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
He announced that in the latest volume


Thanks for mixing up the intention. And for the record nobody was complaining about anything. I just mentioned that on the colour pages the author himself is wiritng "My Hero Acadamia"
There a some people who are posting in a forced way e.g. Ansatsu Kyōshitsu instead of AssClass or Assassination Classroom. Look at the official homepage of Shonen Jump: http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/index.html where you can find the international titles of all running WSJ series. MH is an international board, isn't it? Or do you see people writing One Piece as Wan pisu? I guess it is an Otaku thing and similiar to the "shinigami syndrom" aka "KageBunshinNoJutsu-snydrom". Probably it is more fancy to use the "supposed" original name just like a lot of "otakus" used "Toukyou Kushu" for Tokyo Ghoul (seriously "Toukyou"?).
Ok, I think you have a few misconceptions here, here are some of my thoughts:

Like you said, you can go to the official English Shonen Jump site and get the "official" English name, but you know, that's not necessarily the actual official English name all the time...Some series like Takujou no Ageha or Kuroko no Basket had an English subtitle on the Japanese prints, in these cases they were "Butterfly on Table" and "The Basketball which Kuroko Plays", I think they changed the way they called Ageha for the Jump start chapters but isn't that kinda going against the author's freedom to call his series however the hell he wants? (even if they sound really weird like Kuroko's or are plain bad translations like Ageha or Kyojin for another example)

Also, not calling Tokyo Ghoul "Tokyo Kushu" or Prison School "Kangoku Gakuen" doesn't actually go against this because in those cases even if the kanji are read the second way normally, the furigana especifically says you should read "Kushu" as "Ghoul" (Guuru) and so on, that happens a lot with many LN series too, like say Machine Doll wa Kizu Tsukanai or Seiken Tsukai no World Break, because well, the "shinigami syndrome" you mention also happens in the opposite way in Japanese people

And I don't even know why you call using these Japanese names something forced or despise their use so much, yeah sure this is an international board, but I don't see any problem on calling any particular series on whichever of its official names or an abreviation of them, I mean, I personally hate some of the official English names like say "Food Wars" (because Shokugeki is untranslatable, and I think untranslatable words are best left like that because, well, that's how foreign words get added to languages in the first place, but that's a topic for another time) but you don't see me bashing anyone who uses it, right?

Anyway, that's pretty much all I have left to say about what's been mentioned regarding this topic, and we probably should leave it alone because discussing this is as useless as discussing whether subs or dubs are better, some people like their entertainment to adapt to them and some people like to adapt to their entertainment, and I don't really think any of them is particularly better
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Ok, I think you have a few misconceptions here, here are some of my thoughts:

Like you said, you can go to the official English Shonen Jump site and get the "official" English name, but you know, that's not necessarily the actual official English name all the time...Some series like Takujou no Ageha or Kuroko no Basket had an English subtitle on the Japanese prints, in these cases they were "Butterfly on Table" and "The Basketball which Kuroko Plays", I think they changed the way they called Ageha for the Jump start chapters but isn't that kinda going against the author's freedom to call his series however the hell he wants? (even if they sound really weird like Kuroko's or are plain bad translations like Ageha or Kyojin for another example)

Also, not calling Tokyo Ghoul "Tokyo Kushu" or Prison School "Kangoku Gakuen" doesn't actually go against this because in those cases even if the kanji are read the second way normally, the furigana especifically says you should read "Kushu" as "Ghoul" (Guuru) and so on, that happens a lot with many LN series too, like say Machine Doll wa Kizu Tsukanai or Seiken Tsukai no World Break, because well, the "shinigami syndrome" you mention also happens in the opposite way in Japanese people

And I don't even know why you call using these Japanese names something forced or despise their use so much, yeah sure this is an international board, but I don't see any problem on calling any particular series on whichever of its official names or an abreviation of them, I mean, I personally hate some of the official English names like say "Food Wars" (because Shokugeki is untranslatable, and I think untranslatable words are best left like that because, well, that's how foreign words get added to languages in the first place, but that's a topic for another time) but you don't see me bashing anyone who uses it, right?

Anyway, that's pretty much all I have left to say about what's been mentioned regarding this topic, and we probably should leave it alone because discussing this is as useless as discussing whether subs or dubs are better, some people like their entertainment to adapt to them and some people like to adapt to their entertainment, and I don't really think any of them is particularly better
For the record, I did not want to discuss anything I just pointed out a fact. Actually I do not care about the spelling. However, most of the responses ever since then regarding that matter were in a way offensive as they are mocking and suggesting an attitude I haven't even shown or tried to convey. The same goes for you rpost. I don't despise the use of japanese names - that is your interpreation only - I just tried to make a valid point with the link to jump's website since you are making such a big deal out of it. Regarding Tokyo Ghoul, the author uses the english tilte on the volumes and I made just fun of the people who are using "Toukyou Kushu" not due to the fact that there is a working english title given by the author but due to the akward spelling of "Toukyou" (Tokyo)

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

According to the survey the upcoming issue of ESJ won't contain the last chapter of Gakkyu Hotei
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think perhaps in the week after? unless theyd hold it hostage until the digital volume release.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Certainly some manga have an English title written on them, and even in rare cases some that are grammatically correct and don't sound like shit, but still not everybody goes by that name. As long as you're not doing it to spite people for not knowing something or another then it's fine.

There definitely exists elitism in anime/manga fandoms. Sometimes it's if you've read the manga or VN or novels that the anime was adopted from then you're a "real fan" and not a "person jumping on the bandwagon" or if you've only watched/read the official translation rather than the fan translation which leaves certain terms untranslated or whatever. As a person who regularly watches/reads things entirely in Japanese and have very few people I know who can do the same thing, it's not worth it to talk down to people for not "getting it on as many levels as you do". It just makes people who really have very similar interests hate each other. That's just what they enjoy or what they've gotten up to so far or how they were introduced to it. Unless a person's actively attacking you for saying you prefer the original or some different version, then you shouldn't be angry about it because there's nothing wrong with just liking a piece of entertainment or being a casual audience to that entertainment.

Course, some dubs are really bad, some translations are really bad (especially in the world of fan translations, some are just objectively inaccurate.) so it's fine to say you think someone would get a way better experience out of some different version, or that you have a preference and explain why, but don't attack people about it.

P.S. I still can't fathom what went through the licensing company's minds when they decided to go with the grammatically incorrect "Attack on Titan". Unless there's some plot twist coming up where we find out they're all fighting on Saturn's moon. Honestly I think "The Basketball Which Kuroko Plays" is a better title than "Attack on Titan".
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
P.S. I still can't fathom what went through the licensing company's minds when they decided to go with the grammatically incorrect "Attack on Titan". Unless there's some plot twist coming up where we find out they're all fighting on Saturn's moon. Honestly I think "The Basketball Which Kuroko Plays" is a better title than "Attack on Titan".
Regarding Titans, on the Lost in Translation panel from SDCC in 2014 ED Chavez, Stephen Paul etc. mentioned that issue and explained it: http://www.thecomicbooks.com/Audio/2014-07-25-SanDiego-MangaLostInTranslation.mp3
In the end, the japanese publisher is responsible for the mistranslation
 
Last edited:

piau9000

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
80
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Regarding Titans, on the Lost in Translation panel from SDCC in 2014 ED Chavez, Stephen Paul etc. mentioned that issue and explained it: http://www.thecomicbooks.com/Audio/2014-07-25-SanDiego-MangaLostInTranslation.mp3
In the end, the japanese publisher is responsible for the mistranslation
I'm not buying this excuse.
In Brazil they do the same thing in blaming Japan for their bad decisions.

The problem is that in Japan they barely have time to manage their manga in their own language, let alone in all other languages.
It's just a poor excuse that become a thing recently.
Back in the 90's they used to assume their mistakes like real pros.
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm not buying this excuse.
In Brazil they do the same thing in blaming Japan for their bad decisions.

The problem is that in Japan they barely have time to manage their manga in their own language, let alone in all other languages.
It's just a poor excuse that become a thing recently.
Back in the 90's they used to assume their mistakes like real pros.
Sure thing, the english publishers are all bad.
Thanks Leoat12 for the insight

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

I just checked the Titan volumes again and like it was stated at the panel the japanese volumes have an english subtitle: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...olume_1.png/revision/latest?cb=20130725232055
 
Last edited:

Lehran

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
362
Reaction score
493
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This is the preview picture for Shimabukuro's Warai no Kamigami oneshot:



...I don't know what to think about this...
 

Unok

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
703
Reaction score
2,915
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
It was said that it will be a gag oneshot. And Shimabukuro is not new to weird gag stories, so the image is not surprising (at least for me).
 

piau9000

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
80
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Sure thing, the english publishers are all bad.
Thanks Leoat12 for the insight

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

I just checked the Titan volumes again and like it was stated at the panel the japanese volumes have an english subtitle: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...olume_1.png/revision/latest?cb=20130725232055
Interesting.
So in this case the problem is indeed with the japanese edition.
Anyway I still think that "The March of the Titans" is a cooler name.:p



PS: I'm not leoat12. :^_^
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
What the hell is "that" thing of the Toriko OS XD??

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top