Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netorare

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2012
Messages
225
Reaction score
260
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
After seeing this Im really glad, viz didn't even pick it up for the Jump start line-up.
this opinion is pretty stupid & selfish if you ask me...
you don't like it and that is absolutely fine (+ you could easily skip the series in viz jump) but maybe someone else would love to read the series
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
After seeing this Im really glad, viz didn't even pick it up for the Jump start line-up.
Because it would impare your ability to read Jump otherwise, right? Would have liked to see it develop for a couple chapters still, see some more western opinions towards the series.

That ad isn't great looking, but neither did the huge majority of series from upstart mangaka in their first couple chapters. What's nauseating is to have to read posts such as yours, without even making an [own] argument for an exclusion of the series based on, again, a single ad.

__
And does the poll has to have Sharkbaits usual flavour? Is it praise, is it hate? What's the point of the capital "L"!?

Clichés aside, I wish the center of their kingdoms wouldn't be both the highest site of their territory. And well... names like Clover and Diamond Kingdom. :/ They better have diamond spell books. /edit: Oh well, they have. :P
 
Last edited:

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because it would impare your ability to read Jump otherwise, right? Would have liked to see it develop for a couple chapters still, see some more western opinions towards the series.

That ad isn't great looking, but neither did the huge majority of series from upstart mangaka in their first couple chapters. What's nauseating is to have to read posts such as yours, without even making an [own] argument for an exclusion of the series based on, again, a single ad.

__
And does the poll has to have Sharkbaits usual flavour? Is it praise, is it hate? What's the point of the capital "L"!?

Clichés aside, I wish the center of their kingdoms wouldn't be both the highest site of their territory. And well... names like Clover and Diamond Kingdom. :/ They better have diamond spell books.
He probably made the poll

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Oh, very impressive! What are the usual standards for sales of shonen battle manga? Is there a greater disparity in sales between Jump and its competitors when it comes to this genre? What about in comparison to the debut of other famous Jump manga, both in and outside of the genre?



Ah, I see! Such high praise. It seems it would be completely remiss of me not to read RK, huh? I'm currently working on getting caught up a bunch of Jump manga, old(Kinnikuman is the oldest I've read, thus far) and new, so I'll be sure to check out Watsuki's work in the immediate future. Thanks for the recommendation.
4th best Jump debut
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I figured as much, just asking why he has to keep blacken the series in such a way. [Yep, that's a pun.]

Kenshin is full of usual shonen jumps too, but it was quiet enjoyable throughout. A WSJ classic.
 
Last edited:

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
this opinion is pretty stupid & selfish if you ask me...
you don't like it and that is absolutely fine (+ you could easily skip the series in viz jump) but maybe someone else would love to read the series
Because it would impare your ability to read Jump otherwise, right? Would have liked to see it develop for a couple chapters still, see some more western opinions towards the series.

That ad isn't great looking, but neither did the huge majority of series from upstart mangaka in their first couple chapters. What's nauseating is to have to read posts such as yours, without even making an [own] argument for an exclusion of the series based on, again, a single ad.

__
And does the poll has to have Sharkbaits usual flavour? Is it praise, is it hate? What's the point of the capital "L"!?

Clichés aside, I wish the center of their kingdoms wouldn't be both the highest site of their territory. And well... names like Clover and Diamond Kingdom. :/ They better have diamond spell books.
It is not a matter of "liking" or disliking". It is a matter of sexism. This series is totally inappropriate for a "western" Shonen mag and goes beyond "ecci" and the usual panty shots.
By the way, I wasn't referring to the colour page but the the first two chapters.
 
Last edited:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
So it further played on her costume problem, with the cover showing that it's what she's missing to keep her from getting embarrassed. While I'm no fan of so much fanservice, it would be hard to get to another conclusion from the chapter.

And please, it's not inapproriate for a western mag, if that's the brunt of it. Nothing is really shown, no boners were poped. No romance or erotism is created, unless humiliation is a fetish of yours. Definitely not with Shokugeki no Soma running in ESJ right now.

So why do so peeve with the manga?
It's simply much easier to hate on it as long as it has nothing on it's own to shine so far. I could think of a good reason though, the mass of clichés combined with how chewed up those are already doesn't help it much. Like, how many more characters do we have to see that are somehow part of the noble-common folk plot line?

Love Hina is a bit older, the younger people may not make that comparison with so many more romcoms having followed it. Let's not forget Tenchi Muyoi! here. Turning it around, Versailles no Bara had the female oriented harem constellation decades prior to either series.

__
Nobody did really answer or explain what BC took from Kenshin this week.
 
Last edited:

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
In Soma both male and female are treated the same when they are having a foodgasm. Those scenes are just "stylistic elements". The whole premises of the plot of Justice girl is a debasement of women. A western magazin for teens should not feature such a title.
If you read news about japan, you would know how sexually deranged and insane the future of the japanese society is becoming.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Those scenes are just "stylistic elements".

The whole premises of the plot of Justice girl is a debasement of women.

If you read news about japan, you would know how sexually deranged and insane the future of the japanese society is becoming.
No, they are fan-service mixed/incorporating with the theme of the prepared food.

Elaborate on this, since it sounds like a massive fabrication of your own mind. The purpose of this female super hero character manga is her debasement? :derp Yeah, no.

I'm well acquainted, but it's still better than it was in the past.
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
The purpose of this female super hero character manga is her debasement? :
I did not say that. That is a fabrication of your mind!


And about SOma, you are missing the whole point: male and femal are treated the same. Sexism isn't just about showing nude women
 

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
437
Reaction score
276
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
A western magazin for teens should not feature such a title.
This isn't a western magazine, this is an eastern magazine. They clearly have different standards on what's acceptable than you.

also, just for the record, this is the magazine that ran stuff like To-LOVE-ru. If you think sexually objectifying a character is a debasement of women, then JUMP has been debasing women for a long long long long time, and I'm not sure why you would continue reading it.

clearly anyone who supports JUMP understands that we can have sexy females in sexy situations without engaging in "debasement of women"
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
This isn't a western magazine, this is an eastern magazine. They clearly have different standards on what's acceptable than you.

also, just for the record, this is the magazine that ran stuff like To-LOVE-ru. If you think sexually objectifying a character is a debasement of women, then JUMP has been debasing women for a long long long long time, and I'm not sure why you would continue reading it.

clearly anyone who supports JUMP understands that we can have sexy females in sexy situations without engaging in "debasement of women"
I was speaking about ESJ and not WSJ. Im just appreaciating ESJ's policy for not including Lady Justice. That is all.
 

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
437
Reaction score
276
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
I was speaking about ESJ and not WSJ. Im just appreaciating ESJ's policy for not including Lady Justice. That is all.
Oh okay, I get what you meant then. Sorry for misinterpreting.
 

bobop

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
196
Reaction score
319
Gender
Male
Country
Reunion
I really enjoyed the first chapter of Devilyman. Really didn't expect that from the way the raw looked.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
What's the point of the capital "L"!?
Boys Love


Nobody did really answer or explain what BC took from Kenshin this week.
Rakk's backstory is the copypasted from Sojiro Seta backstory

the op guy, who was abused & beaten by his family as a kid & he always smiling for no reason
 

Chipp12

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2009
Messages
88
Reaction score
20
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
I swear that this feminism shit will destroy the humanity one day...
Because female lead being uber powerful human being and saving the male lead several times already is tots sexism.
I myself really enjoyed the first chapter (and yeah several moments of her childhood really reminded me of Kusuo Saiki) and male lead here is at least proactive (even if he's weak) and not just wimpy weepy type. Also has anyone caught all the Marvel/DC references? Aside from the obvious Stan Lee cameo I've also seen a reference to Hulk but I'm not sure about the other several (two?) references here.
I haven't read read the Devilyman yet (but it's already looking really ugly) but I know that the Dance Club mangaka is quite popular so I'd be totally OK if it will be the one which is serialized (I've also quite enjoyed the first 2 chapter I've read) but it would be more interesting to see more competition for this serialization.

upd. Yep, just read the first chapter of Devilyman and it wasn't funny/interesting at all (more like dull and predictable). You can describe it (and maybe the whole manga) in one sentence: "the kid is devilish manipulative and the devil is innocent and naive". Hilarity ensues.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Rakk's backstory is the copypasted from Sojiro Seta backstory

the op guy, who was abused & beaten by his family as a kid & he always smiling for no reason
That's the perfect example of a trope, not plagiarism. In cases where "plagiarism" mattered to publishers, panels were literally lifted from other manga and such.
 

Bluenotebook

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2015
Messages
63
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Chapter 1 of Devilyman was not as bad as I thought it would be. I'm still not going to root for it but I definitely didn't hate it.

Just read the 3rd chapter of Straighten Up and it really seems like 1 chapter split into 3 parts. I don't know if this slow progression will hurt it's chances or not but-
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Devilyman, upon reading it, is actually pretty entertaining and gripping. I dont know how it will last as a full series as we dont really know what Aeru (pronunciation?) Arrow? Eye Rue? But we dont know what Aeru is after. He is also seven year old so much to young to be appealing or anything like that, so I do have concerns. The devil is a bland design and it is also a pretty vain manga with little to no good message involved so I also ding it for that. A manga should be teaching a good moral and ethical lesson.

I do like it more than the dancing manga so if the two had to fight it out, I would pick Devilyman.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top