Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
From reading a recent BONES interview it seems like they were in it for the longhaul given they were discussing plans for the future with it. Granted BONES isn't known for doing longrunning shows so who knows ho wlong it'll last.
I have a feeling Black Clover will rob MHA when its anime comes out. That manga is the Donald Trump of Jump, it has the devil's luck.
So it'll be like Ao no Exorcist, a series that does incredibly well but gets next to no traction everywhere else. It'll need some serious Trumpness to sway audiences to mask all its imperfections but hey even Reborn managed to stay afloat for 9 years on fujoshis alone so anything is possible.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Shokugeki no Soma will have a new season, the last season ended with this intention at least.
I don't think that would happen with this situation.......decline in the ranking and tabakon and Blu-ray/DVD sells.......maybe the series will get more OVAs....but TV series i don't buy it....
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I dunno, for some reason I have strong feeling that season 2 will be 2 cours(or a split 2-cour season since it's Bones).
I really hope so. but I feel like iif would take another season for The Raid arc

Cour 1 - Intro/USJ
Cour 2 - Sports Festival/Stain
Cour 3 - Final Exam/Field Trip
Cour 4 - Raid/Permit?

I feel like it would need a 4th Cour for the Raid arc, but at the same time it's not enough material to cover an entire Cour, and the following arc feels like a weird arc to end a season. Unless Bones really starts doing 2Cour seasons for it starting with this season
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I really hope so. but I feel like iif would take another season for The Raid arc

Cour 1 - Intro/USJ
Cour 2 - Sports Festival/Stain
Cour 3 - Final Exam/Field Trip
Cour 4 - Raid/Permit?

I feel like it would need a 4th Cour for the Raid arc, but at the same time it's not enough material to cover an entire Cour, and the following arc feels like a weird arc to end a season. Unless Bones really starts doing 2Cour seasons for it starting with this season
I don't want to live in a world where All Might vs. AFO isn't the climax of a season.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't want to live in a world where All Might vs. AFO isn't the climax of a season.
I feel like it could work as a mid season arc, with the permit arc being a sort of "When everything seems to be going down hill, this is just the begging of a brighter future" sort of thing. Although Id prefer it being a climax.

I just feel like squeezing it in a 3 season would be too fast pace
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
It is important to note that while Takeshi was incredibly popular for a while, it actually had begun a decline in rankings before the series was forced to end.
Sure, an anime could have likely boosted the rankings up again, but the series also had already been runnimg for four years and still hadn't got an anime. it was something I noticed while I was doing that Bleach rankings analysys last year.
Yes the lack of anime is bad and missed out on it's true potential. It ran for like 5 years with no anime so that could be the cause of the decline in rankings near the end. I think there was only an OVA.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Has anyone seen the raws of the latest Amalgam chapter? Is there any indication it'll be ending next week?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Old Seikimatsu Leader den Takeshi! Popularity Poll
Gonzou is a cool character but that mascot and Bounchuu(?) are above him? Interesting.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
MHA fans are too positive ........I can say just by looking at latest BD/DVD Sales that series will have the same scenario like soma...
MHA last DVD/BD
1,229 2 Boku no Hero Academia v5 BD
1,670 2 Boku no Hero Academia v5 DVD
soma s1 last DVD/BD
1,289 1,289 1 Shokugeki no Souma v8 DVD
NO data Shokugeki no Souma v8 BD
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't think that would happen with this situation.......decline in the ranking and tabakon and Blu-ray/DVD sells.......maybe the series will get more OVAs....but TV series i don't buy it....
Every series experiences declines in sales of BD/DVD, the question is whether the amount it sold in the last season was acceptable according to the average. You may think it is low, but for the studio it may not be that low for their average. We have to remember that, putting monsters like KnB aside, BD/DVD doesn't sell that much by nature...
Well, let's see... The anime was very good, it would be a shame if it didn't get a continuation.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah shame on us for wishing well for the series to get a boost in popularity
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Call me a blind fanboy, but again, that is totally on the editors' fault. They should've perfectly known in advance that they would only be able to animate the first 3 volumes, which is arguably the weakest parts of the manga given those were merely its baby steps. Instead of waiting for this season, they rushed out its production. While it didn't suffer in quality, it did suffer in sales. Between this and Toriko's hype backlash, I am convinced they can't take care of their own properties well enough to save their own damn lives.

If season 2 doesn't give it the boost we hope for, I swear to god, I am tempted to set up a GoFundMe page so I can fly straight to Shueisha's HQ and give them a good smacking.

Being honest, I'm not even American, but I can tell being American just got loooooot harder than it ever has. Go and ask any tourist if they're American you'll be sure if they're one if they try to avoid the question and hightail it out of there.
They were able to anime more than the first 3 volumes. This myth that My Hero Academia production started really early and so it didn't have content is pure lies and horrible wrong. In fact what My Hero Academia did was closer to what is normally do to a earlier popular franchise. There are many cases where the production even started before, and the series got longer adaptations and run. A Good example being Dragon Ball where the anime production started before the manga even started!

Important, 2nd season don't give manga sales significant boosts! Is so rare that I don't know of any series where that ever happened. Not one!
If it happens to My Hero Academia, it just makes it the huge exception.
 

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Every volume of BHA is in the top 500 in the daily manga sales. Now with the new time slot the manga should sell more than 1mil.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
MHA fans are too positive ........I can say just by looking at latest BD/DVD Sales that series will have the same scenario like soma...
MHA last DVD/BD
1,229 2 Boku no Hero Academia v5 BD
1,670 2 Boku no Hero Academia v5 DVD
soma s1 last DVD/BD
1,289 1,289 1 Shokugeki no Souma v8 DVD
NO data Shokugeki no Souma v8 BD
MHA anime was far more successful than Souma.

Souma season 1 average sales were around 2000 but MHA was average 3500 sales. Souma season 2 sales are abysmal, only selling like 700-800 copies. I highly doubt that MHA will go as low as Souma. I'd be surprised if Souma gets a season 3 or 4.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I was not talking about when the anime started though, at least not this time. I was talking about when the series I was just beginning. As you can see in the graph, the sales skyrocketed from volume 1 to 2 for a new series. That was when comparisons with One Piece, that had more or less the same pattern at the beginning, started. However, volume 3, 4, 5 and 6 suggested a decrease in sales... Volume 7 to 8 was when the anime started, I believe, because of the great boost there... I have to update this graph and see what pattern the sales have now, maybe I can do it later today.
My problem with the way My Hero Academia started was because it started selling too much right at the beginning, I think the hype was too strong. Series that start this way tend to form an arc, they start strong, then stagnate and starts to fall... I believe that Jump editors realized that if they don't make an anime at that time, the sales would decrease or stagnate, so they did it...

I don't agree about My Hero Academia being similar with One Piece, in terms of sales in the beginning. Nor I agree about series that start strong in the begin stagnate fast either.

Assassination Classroom is the one that at the beginning is similar with One Piece. And it started selling to much at the beginning and it didn't stagnate, at least not that early.

Assassination Classroom and One Piece started with a 300k copies 1st print. And in each volume the print grew and the sales per volume as well.
My Hero Academia started with a 120k copies 1st print(I believe). And it got a reprint that added the 1st volume print to 300k. After that all the next volumes got around that print number and the same sales, increasing really slowly.

(Note: You need to start labeling your charts axis, I don't know what is the horizontal one stands for).
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Every series experiences declines in sales of BD/DVD, the question is whether the amount it sold in the last season was acceptable according to the average. You may think it is low, but for the studio it may not be that low for their average. We have to remember that, putting monsters like KnB aside, BD/DVD doesn't sell that much by nature...
Well, let's see... The anime was very good, it would be a shame if it didn't get a continuation.
YEAh i will love to see more of the anime but in reality it's not easy...............producers only care about money if series doesn't make more and more they will throw it...
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't agree about My Hero Academia being similar with One Piece, in terms of sales in the beginning. Nor I agree about series that start strong in the begin stagnate fast either.

Assassination Classroom is the one that at the beginning is similar with One Piece. And it started selling to much at the beginning and it didn't stagnate, at least not that early.

Assassination Classroom and One Piece started with a 300k copies 1st print. And in each volume the print grew and the sales per volume as well.
My Hero Academia started with a 120k copies 1st print(I believe). And it got a reprint that added the 1st volume print to 300k. After that all the next volumes got around that print number and the same sales, increasing really slowly.

(Note: You need to start labeling your charts axis, I don't know what is the horizontal one stands for).
I just stated what people said at that time, you were here, right? Both Shokugeki no Soma and My Hero Academia had similar patterns, starting strong and then stagnating after this. Nisekoi was more like first degree graph where the line just steadily grows... I only kept graphs of those three series, so it is the only examples I can give right now.

The horizontal one are the volumes, it is a graph that represents the sales growth from one volume to another. And I keep those charts to my own reference, I don't share them, so I'm not that careful with them.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
It is important to note that while Takeshi was incredibly popular for a while, it actually had begun a decline in rankings before the series was forced to end.
Sure, an anime could have likely boosted the rankings up again, but the series also had already been runnimg for four years and still hadn't got an anime. it was something I noticed while I was doing that Bleach rankings analysys last year.
For Toriko it almost took it 4 years too(rounded is really 4 years), to get its anime adaptation.

Takeshi got a "Jump Festa"(that it wasn't called that in the past) Special episode, and I believe that every series that get that, soon or later get anime. The big exception, of course, is Takeshi due to the author ...
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Bones other series last year, Bungo Stray Dogs, had a significant increase in Blu Ray sales after cover better material in the 2nd season(however the manga of this series had a very small boost in comparison to MHA). So I suppose that's a slight ray of Hope that MHA season 2 could perform better.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I just stated what people said at that time, you were here, right? Both Shokugeki no Soma and My Hero Academia had similar patterns, starting strong and then stagnating after this. Nisekoi was more like first degree graph where the line just steadily grows... I only kept graphs of those three series, so it is the only examples I can give right now.

The horizontal one are the volumes, it is a graph that represents the sales growth from one volume to another. And I keep those charts to my own reference, I don't share them, so I'm not that careful with them.
Yep, I was here.

People say a lot of things. Like comparing the sales of Neverland and thinking it possible can surpass the sales of My Hero Academia this earlier.

They also love to talk about how much hype and pushed Toriko was, and how it flopped.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top