Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 139 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakurawari

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
It wasn't that funny, but I quite enjoyed it. It was a very fun read. Poro is a lovable MC so far. Definitely my favourite new series so far.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
It's fun to think that even if every thing in this batch is an immediate flops we'll probably still see two of them get to 30 chapters purely due to how many there are to pad out the bottom.

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm starting to think also that they're all getting canceled. Just a feeling
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I'll be the minority and say that I liked U19 the most, no issues with that :). Just not bothered by the premise though if there was one thing I didn't like it was just how randomly powers were fit in the mix.

We Never Learn just is uninteresting and so are the characters.

Poro just isn't for me, though it's probably objectively the best

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'll wait for the veterans series to comment further... But come on, I told you, right? :p

Last edited:

CuriousReborn

Reaction score
Country
Bahrain
How many veterans had a successful series in Jump in the past decade?

IHateAsta

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
Poro first chapter was fine , he never shuts up xD , still U19 is the one I liked the most so far , cant wait for Hungry Marie.

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
How many veterans had a successful series in Jump in the past decade?
Hmm... Matsui Yuusei, Shimabukuro, Ohba/Obata are the first ones I can remember... If Tamura, Inagaki (I'm excluding Boichi since he never published, wrote or draw anything for JUMP in the past) and Tadatoshi manage to survive, this will go up to 6 in my count.

It's also relevant that all of these mangaka not only managed "success" they attained a HUGE success... Yes, even Toriko.

Very few rookies managed to outsell or "outshine" them.

We also had Ginga Patrol Jako but come on... Toriyama is based for this comparison.

I'm obviously just taking into account the 10 years timespan you mentioned. But if we want to talk about veterans...

We had Togashi, Toriyama, Kurumada, Masanori Morita... All of them are stupidly successfull mangaka.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I was expecting something else from Poro, but I ended up being wholly surprised the whole time. Part of that was due to Yuta as the great male best friend who was attached to Poro so fast. I love it and their little date all around. Fun first chapter. Ranking system is great too. Hope this last.

Comedy was funny, havent laughed this much since REBORN.

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Reception seems good already. I hope it does well, it shows a lot of promise.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
You can't really base the reception on art, Kiruko-san got a ton of early fan-art and it didn't even make it to ch 30. People liking one character's design doesn't equate to them liking the series in general.

Also U19 ch 2 now and it still doesn't have a fight, the first chapter of a supposed battle shounen lacking action is bad enough but going 2 chapters without is far too slow for a magazine as competitive as Jump. I can't picture it surviving which is a shame since I kind of like how silly and over the top the premise is.

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can't really base the reception on art, Kiruko-san got a ton of early fan-art and it didn't even make it to ch 30. People liking one character's design doesn't equate to them liking the series in general.

Also U19 ch 2 now and it still doesn't have a fight, the first chapter of a supposed battle shounen lacking action is bad enough but going 2 chapters without is far too slow for a magazine as competitive as Jump.
Well people seem to like it too. I'm not saying this definitely means it'll be a success. Just that it's a step in the right direction

G_I_A

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

savethecat

Reaction score
Country
United States
^ there was the one with the green haired police woman that was SUPER POPULAR on the internet before the first chapter dropped. Shinmai Fukei Kiruko-san
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...cewoman-kiruko-san-manga-takes-japan-by-storm

That got axed in 3 volumes.
a bit harder to judge, because ppl making the fanart made it before reading the content. Those same people could have hated it once it actually came out.

But like I said. I'm not saying this absolutely means that it'll be a success. I just think ppl making fanart early is a big Postive, and it seems like ppl legitimately enjoyed it. I'd say fan art was probably a positive for that series with the green haired girl as well, even if it didn't take off
Fujo's are freaking their minds over "pota / yuro"

And he failed with Best Blue right after as well.
What's Puta/Yuro?

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
You guys are depressing, instead of focussing all the cancelled manga that got a bit fanart in the first chapter, what about the ones that became successful, i don't know but there should be some.

Status
Not open for further replies.