Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 14 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocoBar9

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Coming from someone who came into Re:Zero on episode 17, I can agree with this. The first episodes were pretty tedious, the first parts of the second arc even felt dragged out, but by the time I got to Rem's episode, I could understand the hype surrounding her but it wasn't enough for me to call it great. It was only when we got into the third arc that I realized it was definitely something different. Episode 15: MIND. BLOWN. Episode 18: Rem is BEST GIRL nuff said. From then onwards, I declared it as anime of the year in my opinion.
Right I mean there's no point in re-visioning history, Re:Zero wasn't well liked in the beginning but reception changed as it went on. The first episode was needed to established the mechanics of the world and establish Subaru's character but it was really tedious as hell and brought more people off it than into it especially in regards to Subaru's character seriously every complaint I saw in regards to the first episode was about him.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Being perfectly honest, between the two I'd actually say World Trigger's anime adaption was much better paced than MHA's for the most part (that first boardroom scene was...a thing). Heck I was actually kind of surprised it wasn't One Piece levels of slow when I first checked it out given there wasn't much manga to run on. The problem was entirely that it looked like dogshit. If not for that it might have been a success.
Really? Toei's adaptation of World Trigger is infamously known for being slow. That's why I laugh at people who call MHA's pacing too slow. The adaptation of WT actually got people off from checking out the manga because Toei made it so boring and ugly which is something you cannot say about BONES adaptation of MHA.

HIGAN0

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Eyrie
How is t? Looks interesting
THe art is great but story is nothing groundbreaking & it's typical and bit cliche...but still enjoyable...

Bigivelfhq

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
There you go again making false claims while never backing them. This is even more pathetic because there's detailed summaries detailing what that episode left out from the first chapter.

Yes that's not but it wasn't a complete adaptation of the first chapter of the manga.

How about the fact that you're putting emphasis on mundane scenes "taking up to much time" that was in the manga rather than the stuff they added which were few and far in between if not any at all

Yep you just keep believing that and it has everything to do with the adaptation because that's how they saw fit the best way to transfer the text information from their respective LNs into animated form hence why we have people making jokes about the "walking in circle" scene and how the entirety of the episode was pure exposition granted the reception would improve as the story actually kicked off but they did a poor job of selling the show to newbies. As for Re:Zero I'm not even sure how someone can say with a straight face that the show was welcomed with opened arms before episode 9 considering Subaru ranked 1st in most annoying character of the spring season before then in Japan, it was definitely a show that rewarded those who stayed but it was a bumpy road to see the least.

There was nothing wrong with those episodes to begin with infact the majority response is that people loved the pay off in episode 2 so the director must have done something right by not trying to squeeze everything into one episode.

That kind of defeats the whole point of your argument since Toei was never being faithful to the manga by adapting it out of order and showing Nami much earlier than intended.

Make the favor and show me that list of Naruto anime and manga differences, please!

The point it was never if the adaptation was faithful or not. The conversation was always about the 1st chapter in 2 episodes adaptation. And the fact that, in this specific case, One Piece 1st chapter that has around the same content as My Hero Academia 1st chapter was adapted in 1 episode.
Really? Toei's adaptation of World Trigger is infamously known for being slow. That's why I laugh at people who call MHA's pacing too slow. The adaptation of WT actually got people off from checking out the manga because Toei made it so boring and ugly which is something you cannot say about BONES adaptation of MHA.

Divinenega

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not a ton of difference between that and how padded out things like Deku v.s. Bakugo and the USJ arc in the MHA anime were for me. Though honestly that wasn't meant to be a debate as to which adaption is better (that would be MHA by a long shot even with it's pacing problems). I'm just saying that between the two, WT was a bit more spaced out (even if it was in part due to throwing in extra material here and there)

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Nope, there was no density to them.
You Have the Deku watching the Newbie Heroes(1), The school(2), The Attack of the Mud Villain(3), Deku Talk with All Might(4), The Second Attack(5), The Resolution(6), The All Might Hero Talk(7).
Just 7 Major Scenes, it was totally doable in 1 episode. And they did just 4 in the 1st episode and 3 in the 2nd episode. 
Everything is doable, what matters is if it has quality or not. All this in one episode would be rushed. Anime is not just put the frames in the manga one after the other.

WesKR

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What do you guys consider good pacing then? Chapters vary in length so it seems like it's better to use the page count instead.
With the average 180 page volume, I feel like 3 episodes per volume is a sweet spot, 4 episodes if the manga in particular is heavy on dialogue.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
What do you guys consider good pacing then? Chapters vary in length so it seems like it's better to use the page count instead.
With the average 180 page volume, I feel like 3 episodes per volume is a sweet spot, 4 episodes if the manga in particular is heavy on dialogue.
There is no fixed measure, it depends on the scene. Action scenes are faster, but even so, the animator has to put a lot of frames to complete the scene, this is obvious. There are also scenes where the people battling stops, staring at each other to make impact and all that... Dialogues also have their own rhythm. Depending all the atmosphere we can have the characters speaking faster or slower. There are pauses, balloons are there is "..." are not for show, there is a pause there. Anyway, there is a lot of elements that add up and in the end consume a considerable part of the episode. The animators have to interpret all the scenes all make the atmosphere right, convey everything that the authors wants to convey in that scene.
That's why I said that there is no problem with My Hero Academia pacing, they did a good job, everything felt natural.

Bigivelfhq

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Everything is doable, what matters is if it has quality or not. All this in one episode would be rushed. Anime is not just put the frames in the manga one after the other.
Doing 7 major scenes, where some don't even take much time? Is totally possible to be done in 1 episode with a good pace.

The excuse that doing it in 1 episode would decrease in a significant amount the quality of the episode, seems just a excuse to evade the problem the 1 chapter in 2 episodes was. Specially when there are a ton of séries like My Hero Academia that adapts long 1st chapters into 1 episode.

Is incredible how before the actual 2 episodes for 1 chapter, everybody thought the 1st chapter would be adapted in 1 episode, there was not even a hint of preoccupation about there existing to many content for 1 episode. But now, now in 1 episode it certainly it would be rushed, and My Hero Academia 1st chapter is a special snowflake.
There is no fixed measure, it depends on the scene. Action scenes are faster, but even so, the animator has to put a lot of frames to complete the scene, this is obvious. There are also scenes where the people battling stops, staring at each other to make impact and all that... Dialogues also have their own rhythm. Depending all the atmosphere we can have the characters speaking faster or slower. There are pauses, balloons are there is "..." are not for show, there is a pause there. Anyway, there is a lot of elements that add up and in the end consume a considerable part of the episode. The animators have to interpret all the scenes all make the atmosphere right, convey everything that the authors wants to convey in that scene.
That's why I said that there is no problem with My Hero Academia pacing, they did a good job, everything felt natural.
What is being discussed here is not if what was done is a good pacing or if they did a good job(in terms of pacing). The discussion here is instead of using 2 episodes, using only 1. And the fact spreading into 2 weeks the content was worth it the "extra quality", that you mention.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
HeroAca's first chapter split was a conscious decison by the director Nagasaki Kenji.

http://www.excite.co.jp/News/reviewmov/20160623/E1466636924330.html?_p=3

In this interview, he says that he purposefully made it into two episodes in order to deliver the full impact of the Izuku running in to save Bakugou. In the manga, everything works because of the medium which is inherently different but for anime, the buildup has to be created. Nagasaki says that stuffing everything into one episode would have cut away from really depicting the situation that Izuku jumped into. The other heroes did not move in because they had to create a situation that no one else would get involved in the fray and they themselves were unsuitable to deal properly with the Sludge villain. All Might also was at his daily limit. All this can be shown pretty easily in a few pages in the manga but it need to have the impact in the anime. Nagasaki says that by splitting it, he feels that this pinch situation was conveyed better. Izuku jumping in and moving All Might to go past his limit and put in one more punch had more feeling and the final scenes also had more emotional impact.

I'm pretty sure that the limit of 13 episodes was also there but the emotional impact took preference over putting everything into one 25 min episode. Its worth noting that in the re-screening events, they always screen both of these episodes as a set. ALso, Nagasaki got the offer to direct one year before airing but at that point, he didn't really know it was Heroaca. He then went on to read all the volumes and then began planning out how to adapt it. This is pretty much standard in the industry.

Also, Shueisha isn't the only one who plans how these things go about. If Soma gets a 3rd season, Shueisha will probably be completely on board as it still sell very well. People have this feeling that 500k+ is the marker of a good selling series. Series that sell around 200-300k are just as good comparing how many titles come out every year. Soma's other merchandise, figures, etc. also did pretty well. Its still is in the top 30 franchises in 2016.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
HeroAca's first chapter split was a conscious decison by the director Nagasaki Kenji.

http://www.excite.co.jp/News/reviewmov/20160623/E1466636924330.html?_p=3

In this interview, he says that he purposefully made it into two episodes in order to deliver the full impact of the Izuku running in to save Bakugou. In the manga, everything works because of the medium which is inherently different but for anime, the buildup has to be created. Nagasaki says that stuffing everything into one episode would have cut away from really depicting the situation that Izuku jumped into. The other heroes did not move in because they had to create a situation that no one else would get involved in the fray and they themselves were unsuitable to deal properly with the Sludge villain. All Might also was at his daily limit. All this can be shown pretty easily in a few pages in the manga but it need to have the impact in the anime. Nagasaki says that by splitting it, he feels that this pinch situation was conveyed better. Izuku jumping in and moving All Might to go past his limit and put in one more punch had more feeling and the final scenes also had more emotional impact.

I'm pretty sure that the limit of 13 episodes was also there but the emotional impact took preference over putting everything into one 25 min episode. Its worth noting that in the re-screening events, they always screen both of these episodes as a set. ALso, Nagasaki got the offer to direct one year before airing but at that point, he didn't really know it was Heroaca. He then went on to read all the volumes and then began planning out how to adapt it. This is pretty much standard in the industry.

Also, Shueisha isn't the only one who plans how these things go about. If Soma gets a 3rd season, Shueisha will probably be completely on board as it still sell very well. People have this feeling that 500k+ is the marker of a good selling series. Series that sell around 200-300k are just as good comparing how many titles come out every year. Soma's other merchandise, figures, etc. also did pretty well. Its still is in the top 30 franchises in 2016.
Someone could please fix those two phrases I highlighted at the top of the thread? Maybe that way people will be convinced that pacing, atmosphere, feelings and all that matters in an anime and is totally different from a manga. Thank you.

Divinenega

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Someone could please fix those two phrases I highlighted at the top of the thread? Maybe that way people will be convinced that pacing, atmosphere, feelings and all that matters in an anime and is totally different from a manga. Thank you.
I don't disagree with the notion in the slightest and while I complained about MHA's pacing, I actually do think splitting up the first chapter into two episodes mostly worked out for a storytelling perspective. It's the way the rest of it's paced that bothered me (particularly the last 3 or 4 episodes)

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Coming from someone who came into Re:Zero on episode 17, I can agree with this. The first episodes were pretty tedious, the first parts of the second arc even felt dragged out, but by the time I got to Rem's episode, I could understand the hype surrounding her but it wasn't enough for me to call it great. It was only when we got into the third arc that I realized it was definitely something different. Episode 15: MIND. BLOWN. Episode 18: Rem is BEST GIRL nuff said. From then onwards, I declared it as anime of the year in my opinion.
Man I've been procrastinating like a bitch with this show... Rem looks hot but I couldn't tell if she was a loli or not. If the beginning drags so much should I watch or skip?

ChocoBar9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Man I've been procrastinating like a bitch with this show... Rem looks hot but I couldn't tell if she was a loli or not. If the beginning drags so much should I watch or skip?
I'd say its worth it just to get to those episodes where it gets really good as long as you're not expecting some masterpiece or subversion of the Isekai genre its solid. Personally I didn't find the MC to be all annoying like everyone else did so the journey was worth it even if it was a bumpy ride.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Watch, definitely. Everything has more impact together, people just don't realize apparently, which is new for me.
Besides, you cannot skip 17 episodes out of 25 just because someone said that they are boring, you cannot be influenced like that, it is not best practice. Watch and create your own opinion about that.

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
When does the TOC come out?

kobester11

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

The World Trigger anime has 48 episodes and the manga is known for being slow in the first place. Besides, toei's doing it on purpose or else they'll overtake the manga. Actually they actually did overtake it hence the filler arc.

While the MHA anime was kinda slow despite being only 13 episodes. It reminded me of the HoTD anime's pacing.

Bigivelfhq

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
The World Trigger anime has 48 episodes and the manga is known for being slow in the first place. Besides, toei's doing it on purpose or else they'll overtake the manga. Actually they actually did overtake it hence the filler arc.

While the MHA anime was kinda slow despite being only 13 episodes. It reminded me of the HoTD anime's pacing.
It has 73 episodes not 48.

Status
Not open for further replies.