Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hiruma is one of my favorite shonen characters dudes legit. Also incredibly underrated.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
ShikaTema is the only couple I care about in Naruto , others sucks and I never cared about them ... Urahara x yoruichi for bleach :3.
Shikamaru is a lucky bastard, he got the most attractive girl in Naruto just being lazy. I was very terrified when I heard people say that they wanted to be slapped by Temari's fan. xD
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
One Piece certainly has its flaws, but it's far more consistent than any other manga to have run so long without feeling dragged out.
Surely, the huge flaw called Thriller Bark was the biggest so far. :derp
Yeah, it has its flaws, but it is not as big as some mangas out there, Oda knows what he is doing.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Shikamaru is a lucky bastard, he got the most attractive girl in Naruto just being lazy. I was very terrified when I heard people say that they wanted to be slapped by Temari's fan. xD
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Surely, the huge flaw called Thriller Bark was the biggest so far. :derp
Yeah, it has its flaws, but it is not as big as some mangas out there, Oda knows what he is doing.
I like Thriller Bark a lot actually. Much better than horribly paced borderline filler like Skypeia lol (although I love Jaya).
But yeah, one thing that I love about one piece is not every arc is for everyone's tastes.
It's pretty versatile despite having a clear structure for arcs.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I like Thriller Bark a lot actually. Much better than horribly paced borderline filler like Skypeia lol (although I love Jaya).
But yeah, one thing that I love about one piece is not every arc is for everyone's tastes.
It's pretty versatile despite having a clear structure for arcs.
Yea, Skypeia and Thriller Bark are my least favorites.
One thing I liked in Thriller Bark was Usopp and Perona fight, that was the greatest moment of the arc. I wish Perona appears more often...
Well, One Piece has a huge fanbase, you cannot please everybody and Oda is not trying to do this, which is great and somewhat is lacking in many authors.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Krillin is the luckiest bastard in WSJ history. Period.
 
Last edited:

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Impel Down was probably my favourite arc.. but I eventually had to decide to drop One Piece. I just wasn't enjoying most of it. I understand it's appeal, it's just not for me.
 

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
Shikamaru is a lucky bastard, he got the most attractive girl in Naruto just being lazy. I was very terrified when I heard people say that they wanted to be slapped by Temari's fan. xD
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Surely, the huge flaw called Thriller Bark was the biggest so far. :derp
Yeah, it has its flaws, but it is not as big as some mangas out there, Oda knows what he is doing.
Wow , and I thought I'm the only Temari fanboy xD , I literally entered Anime-Manga world because I was obsessed with her xD
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I like One Piece as well, but it doesn't stop me from criticizing it when needed. You cannot close your eyes because you like something, even less when it just sells well.
I remember we had a convo on this and I still agree and I'm the same way with all my favs (DB, Naruto, FT) but it's still fine to be a fanboy of something if you truly love it. I mean hey who is anyone to tell you what to like or not to like? Should you be a follower and dislike something because majority dislike it?

Also Yahiko x Konan and Shikamaru x Temari were the best lowkey ships. Naruto and Hinata obv was the best one

Krillin is the luckiest bastard in WSJ. Period.
!!!!!!!!!! People stay forgetting 18 was the best girl in all of anime for awhile...
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Impel Down was probably my favourite arc.. but I eventually had to decide to drop One Piece. I just wasn't enjoying most of it. I understand it's appeal, it's just not for me.
What weren't you enjoying about the series?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Poro would be great as the next "send in your fan-art to be included in the manga!" series if it survives.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Skypiea, Impel Down, Alabasta were OP's best arcs. People didn't like Enel? He was my favorite villain since Arlong and Smoker :D design was dope too.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Skypiea, Impel Down, Alabasta were OP's best arcs. People didn't like Enel? He was my favorite villain since Arlong and Smoker :D design was dope too.
You're right on Impel Down and Alabasta at least!
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
What weren't you enjoying about the series?
I always liked the start of most arcs, where the strawhats explored the new area, but I always got bored as soon as it devolved into action. Most arcs this happened with, and there were a few that I just couldn't stand. Those being Skypia, and the final nail in the coffin Dressrossa. I didn't even like Marineford all that much.

I have nothing against One Piece, but the percentage of the series that I enjoyed was outweighed by that which I didn't.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I always liked the start of most arcs, where the strawhats explored the new area, but I always got bored as soon as it devolved into action. Most arcs this happened with, and there were a few that I just couldn't stand. Those being Skypia, and the final nail in the coffin Dressrossa. I didn't even like Marineford all that much.

I have nothing against One Piece, but the percentage of the series that I enjoyed was outweighed by that which I didn't.
The adventure or character parts are always far more entertaining than the action parts for me.
Oda's very full arguably cluttered panels can interfere with making out what's going on in fights sometimes.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I always liked the start of most arcs, where the strawhats explored the new area, but I always got bored as soon as it devolved into action. Most arcs this happened with, and there were a few that I just couldn't stand. Those being Skypia, and the final nail in the coffin Dressrossa. I didn't even like Marineford all that much.

I have nothing against One Piece, but the percentage of the series that I enjoyed was outweighed by that which I didn't.
Dressrossa was the reason I had to stop reading, the story after the timeskip started going at such a pace that it started to get boring. Nothing against Oda's story telling but there comes a point where a long arc that spans more then a volume or two starts to hurt the enjoyment a little at least that what I think.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
What are some of OP's main criticisms? Honestly, cause if there's one series or franchise that comes off the top of my head that's the least criticized among anime/manga fans are OP and FMA. I stopped reading OP too cause of what Nakurawari said but I still lurk at the spoilers and thread sometimes and I currently like what's going on with Sanji and stuff. I used to think Naruto was greatest show in the world (that's Dragon Ball for me) but I never knew how many people really disliked it... especially Part 2.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What are some of OP's main criticisms? Honestly, cause if there's one series or franchise that comes off the top of my head that's the least criticized among anime/manga fans are OP and FMA. I stopped reading OP too cause of what Nakurawari said but I still lurk at the spoilers and thread sometimes and I currently like what's going on with Sanji and stuff. I used to think Naruto was greatest show in the world (that's Dragon Ball for me) but I never knew how many people really disliked it... especially Part 2.
I'm pretty sure the biggest grip with Naruto part 2 was the war arc and the end (NOT including the Naruto extra chapters about the kids that Kishi wrote)
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Among fans, the biggest criticisms I see of One Piece are certain arcs going on for much longer than they needed to, characters spending half of each arc running around not doing much, and people not liking some strawhats (Sanji, Nami, Chopper, and Usopp probably get the most hate but everyone gets it a little).

Among non-fans, the criticisms I most often see are the art style, the sense of humour, and the fights not being very good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top