Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
@Wolf King

I'm gonna have some pitchforks raised at me for this, but this is coming from the same writer who decided to put in a tentacle foodgasm in the first chapter for shock value just so he can stand out. And people think he's a good writer? I never saw anything special about his writing, there's nothing about it that makes him particularly talented. .
I got hook with this bizarre concept, and the art since the beginning :p. Before I knew this is a Jump manga.

My entire problem with SnS right now is the author tries to force down ship to readers throat. Azami's plotline is to further enhance the relationship between Souma and Erina. Then the shipper brings out chapter 1 about finding someone to cook for blablabla and rejoice.

I agree the plot isn't strong, but the character interaction for the first 130 chapters are really well done. But now the author only focus on the main cast with purpose to pair them off, which take away the character interaction for the past 130 chapters pissed me off.

I have hope that SnS will bounce back in 2017, starting with the current flashback arc
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I feel like rankings before chapter 8 probably have some thought and meaning behind them, but we just don't know what
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I got hook with this bizarre concept, and the art since the beginning :p. Before I knew this is a Jump manga.

My entire problem with SnS right now is the author tries to force down ship to readers throat. Azami's plotline is to further enhance the relationship between Souma and Erina. Then the shipper brings out chapter 1 about finding someone to cook for blablabla and rejoice.

I agree the plot isn't strong, but the character interaction for the first 130 chapters are really well done. But now the author only focus on the main cast with purpose to pair them off, which take away the character interaction for the past 130 chapters pissed me off.

I have hope that SnS will bounce back in 2017, starting with the current flashback arc
That's the main problem with the SouEri ship to be honest. The fact that both patriarchs are pretty much convoluting to get them together. It just feels...artificial. I see nothing about it that makes me want to ship it. If I wanted to ship a couple, it'd have to be a natural progress on both sides. Quite honestly, both Jou and Sen aren't much better than Azami in this regard. They're basically trying to manipulate their offsprings' feelings.

If I had to pick a couple to ship in it, it'd be a toss-up between SouMegu and SouHisa. The latter of which I'm really getting into. Sadly, it's looking like the IshiHime version of SnS. As far as a majority of the fandom perceives it to be, anyways. Hisako is really, really underrated.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Addicted to Curry would like to have a word with you. Also, a major distinction between this and SnS, is the former focuses on one kind of dish, but with many kinds of variations on it, on top of being comfort food. SnS displays various dishes, ranging from haute cuisine and comfort food. And even then, the dishes Soma makes all border on haute cuisine despite most of them being comfort food-based.

So, to argue SnS's recipes being replicable is inaccurate. You'd need a lot of resources and money to make most of the dishes.

From what I've heard, Morisaki Yuki is a "cosplay chef" so she's not an exact definition of a "professional chef" so much as she is more like one of those mass-produced idols/cosplay models.

As for his writing, did you seriously not read about Azami's ambitions??? Shutting down an entire economy of diners just because they don't know haute cuisine, not to mention marginalizing those who couldn't possibly afford to eat at those kinds of restaurants!?!? That is seriously the most nonsensical "diabolical plan" I've ever seen a writer come up with for a villain. Granted, there is a suspension of disbelief required when reading/watching any sort of entertainment medium but even this stretches too far.
Money and resources aside, it is replicable, right? Have you tried repliacate something from Toriko? That's what I'm saying. XD
And the volumes of the manga have recipes of simplified versions of the dishes they show in the series. For Japanese people is certainly easily replicable as they have most of the ingredients on hand since most of the dishes are Japanese cuisine anyway, with the exception of some.

By what I can see, she takes seriously what she does, various books about food researching, she doesn't start with Shokugeki no Soma. I don't think that it is valid to underestimate her job just because she is beautiful and ends up to be a TV star.

We don't know yet why Azami thinks this way, we are on it in the current arc. If it sounds reasonable to me after the flashback, I will accept without any problems. Villains are meant to be crazy, if it were meant to agree with their reasoning, they wouldn't be villains, they have a twisted mind, they don' think right. For example, My Hero Academia villains doesn't make sense for me, but I don't complain that much although it annoys me sometimes.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I got hook with this bizarre concept, and the art since the beginning :p. Before I knew this is a Jump manga.

My entire problem with SnS right now is the author tries to force down ship to readers throat. Azami's plotline is to further enhance the relationship between Souma and Erina. Then the shipper brings out chapter 1 about finding someone to cook for blablabla and rejoice.

I agree the plot isn't strong, but the character interaction for the first 130 chapters are really well done. But now the author only focus on the main cast with purpose to pair them off, which take away the character interaction for the past 130 chapters pissed me off.

I have hope that SnS will bounce back in 2017, starting with the current flashback arc
If it is the objective of the authors, they have to try harder because I don't see the purpose of the arc being this one at all. I'm not feeling forced to ship Erina x Souma right now, I didn't feel forced in the past as well. For me, romance in Shokugeki no Soma is almost nonexistent. Erina was brought to Souma and the others side within this arc because they built a trust relationship. Erina didn't acknowledge Souma and after so many events, she acknowledged. It was expected since the beginning of the series, Erina had to accept him eventually.

Erina is helping them now because she feels that it is the right thing to do, she never actually agreed to what her father was doing. I think they will come back to be rivals after all this ends... But another kind of rivalry, Erina will not despise him anymore. I see the future of the series this way...There will be romance in the future? Maybe, but it will not be today.

For some reason the posts didn't merge. I'm innocent. :gwah
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Except that SnS is more closely grounded in the real world and real-time with the only divergence being a some super elite cooking school in Japan. In MHA, it's a more radical divergence from our universe, or maybe even takes place a good 50 years in the future. So it has more of a leeway to set its own rules and the people who live in it.

And if you really want to compare villains.... Well, on one hand you have a raving psychopatic maniac who was clearly brainwashed while on the other hand, you have a sociopathic villain, but clearly shows a good semblance of rational thinking... Only to reveal to have some of the most nonsensical diabolical plans I've ever seen. Honestly, Azami looks straight out of a badly-written Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain. He's almost as bad as BC's villains from what I've seen from the examples shown here.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
sudden realization

next week on viz, no One piece, no Boruto and no monthlies

so only 4 manga

and since Kimetsu is on the cover they will have to make up their own cover
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Even VIZ doesn't know what to publish with all this crappy series the magazine has right now... XD
It is time to overlook the "too hot for ESJ" excuse and pick Yuragi like they did with Shokugeki. :derp
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Even VIZ doesn't know what to publish with all this crappy series the magazine has right now... XD
It is time to overlook the "too hot for ESJ" excuse and pick Yuragi like they did with Shokugeki. :derp
Yuragi is sorta middle of the pack too smh. But it's only starting out still
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yuragi is sorta middle of the pack too smh. But it's only starting out still
I didn't understand what you meant that much, but I was talking more about durability. It is clear that VIZ doesn't see a future for the series currently in the magazine, besides The Promised Neverland. I don't see future for them either, Yuragi is the only one right now that has established in the magazine somehow.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Oh I read your comment as in Sns' and Yuragi's ranking and placement lol that's my bad. I agree with the other stuff
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Even VIZ doesn't know what to publish with all this crappy series the magazine has right now... XD
It is time to overlook the "too hot for ESJ" excuse and pick Yuragi like they did with Shokugeki. :derp
boruto proves they have no problem publishing trash
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
boruto proves they have no problem publishing trash
Trash backed by a legendary series is different. :derp
Well, Boruto started really bad with all that "father vs. son" crap, currently it is better than before, but still below average.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I think Boruto had a rocky start but will be a decent series once it gets to new material
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
In ESJ's podcast, they did say that they are going to add new series into the lineup. It's clear that they can't continue like this. Whether its new WSJ series, or something outside that remains to be seen. My bet is Haikyu, and Kimetsu no Yaiba.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
@Wolf King

I'm gonna have some pitchforks raised at me for this, but this is coming from the same writer who decided to put in a tentacle foodgasm in the first chapter for shock value just so he can stand out. And people think he's a good writer? I never saw anything special about his writing, there's nothing about it that makes him particularly talented. In fact, I don't even think he understands the "idea" of cooking and its philosophies. I've seen much better food/cooking docs that are way better than what he's writing. There's also several other cooking mangas that are actually better by a mile.

If he wanted to do a cooking manga, he could've gone either of two ways: do a manga version of cutthroat kitchen (which would've been amusing as all hell to see), or actually watch more food/chef docs for his research. The latter would've improved his writing greatly.
Yeah I agree now that I reflect back on the earlier chapters maybe the god tier art was just distracting me from some of the flaws back then. He has someone to do his research and consults with other chefs. The food explanations are great (even if it's mainly help from other chefs) but my issue is how poorly executed the shokugeki's are. They become so stale after awhile. Looking back most of them are meh and not really memorable (at least in a positive light).

I feel like reading Yakitate!! Japan, I heard the mangaka was inspired from that series. Have you read or watched it? I want to know how good it is.
Yes, it has Morisaki Yuki as advisor. She is food researcher and TV star, according to MAL. I don't know what people consider a good or a bad cooking manga, but my opinion about Shokugeki no Soma is that it is a very good idea to make a cooking manga where everything the characters make are replicable int he real world. I think Morisaki Yuki does a good job advising the author, otherwise it wouldn't be possible.
I don't have any comments about Tsukuda Yuto abilities as a writer, I don't see anything really bad about his writing and if possible I would like clarification about this part.
You know it's an all time low for the series when even the shokugeki's themselves aren't interesting anymore. They just got bland especially after Soma's battle with Eizan.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
At this point I don't want Viz to license Yuragi since I imported 4 Japanese Volumes already xD, plus the english version won't have the glorious cover inside the dust jacket cover :cheez.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
At this point I don't want Viz to license Yuragi since I imported 4 Japanese Volumes already xD, plus the english version won't have the glorious cover inside the dust jacket cover :cheez.
Plus the 2 color pages that come with each physical volume (in the covers) :)

Wish there were more extras in vol 4 than a freaking Koisome Momiji ad though.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Yeah I agree now that I reflect back on the earlier chapters maybe the god tier art was just distracting me from some of the flaws back then. He has someone to do his research and consults with other chefs. The food explanations are great (even if it's mainly help from other chefs) but my issue is how poorly executed the shokugeki's are. They become so stale after awhile. Looking back most of them are meh and not really memorable (at least in a positive light).

I feel like reading Yakitate!! Japan, I heard the mangaka was inspired from that series. Have you read or watched it? I want to know how good it is.
Are you kidding?? It's practically DBZ-legendary as far as cooking mangas go. Go and read it NOW. You won't regret it. Another recommendation I'd make if you want a much more realistic view on cooking would be Bambino! Heck, the sequel's all wrapped up in my country to boot. I bought the volumes as soon as they took over the scans.

Another really good one is Nobunaga no Chef. Which, as you can guess is about Nobunaga's chef. The twist is said chef is a time-displaced modern day chef. The historical backdrop actually ties in seamlessly. To put in another way, it's the culinary counterpart to the manga Jin (the one about the doctor).
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Like Leo says, they do have her as a consultant. BTW, you're a fan of Toriko right? While I'm not exactly a fan, I can definitely say Toriko is actually a better cooking manga. It's concept of high-fantasy cooking is most definitely something unique and in that regard, gives it more character as a cooking manga.



Addicted to Curry would like to have a word with you. Also, a major distinction between this and SnS, is the former focuses on one kind of dish, but with many kinds of variations on it, on top of being comfort food. SnS displays various dishes, ranging from haute cuisine and comfort food. And even then, the dishes Soma makes all border on haute cuisine despite most of them being comfort food-based.

So, to argue SnS's recipes being replicable is inaccurate. You'd need a lot of resources and money to make most of the dishes.

From what I've heard, Morisaki Yuki is a "cosplay chef" so she's not an exact definition of a "professional chef" so much as she is more like one of those mass-produced idols/cosplay models.

As for his writing, did you seriously not read about Azami's ambitions??? Shutting down an entire economy of diners just because they don't know haute cuisine, not to mention marginalizing those who couldn't possibly afford to eat at those kinds of restaurants!?!? That is seriously the most nonsensical "diabolical plan" I've ever seen a writer come up with for a villain. Granted, there is a suspension of disbelief required when reading/watching any sort of entertainment medium but even this stretches too far.
Only a few ingredients in the manga are really expensive and that's A5 beef, goose fish liver, and the chicken from the Eizan battle.

Out of all the dishes shown, only a few are Haute Cuisne.

As for Yuki, she's more akin to Rachel Ray than say Gordon Ramsey or Wolfgang. But some of alumni from Tootsuki are Rachel Ray-esque chefs (Celebrity Chefs).

Want Azami wants to do is Monoplize the Japanese Restaurant industry. That's not really insane in concept, but would be really difficult to pull off in modern times.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top