Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I personally don't really care for it myself either. Any particular reason you dislike the series?
It is just bad, it is not appealing, the characters are not likeable, I don't have any reason to root for them, etc. Not to mention the flaws displayed in the first and second chapter. The scientific part was wordy and uninteresting. Science is nice, but you have to be careful to not make it a textbook, make it so that you don't have to explain everything in text, there is the drawing that can be used as well. Even with all this explanation, questions still arise: the animals turned into stone had the entire body turned in stone or they were just covered in stone? If it is the former, a solution composed by alcohol and acid is enough? If it is the latter, why they just didn't try to break the cover? I think that for a scientific manga, it is forcing us to believe in things without the right explanation; I say the right explanation because they are explaining way too much, but not with the right words. All this was to revive the girl in the third chapter, it is too soon and makes it lose all the impact.
I already saw better mangas being cancelled very quickly, it is not well structured. Hungry Marie has the same problem by the way, it seems like Shueisha wanted to have veterans and published these things in a rush without planing well.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It is just bad, it is not appealing, the characters are not likeable, I don't have any reason to root for them, etc. Not to mention the flaws displayed in the first and second chapter. The scientific part was wordy and uninteresting. Science is nice, but you have to be careful to not make it a textbook, make it so that you don't have to explain everything in text, there is the drawing that can be used as well. Even with all this explanation, questions still arise: the animals turned into stone had the entire body turned in stone or they were just covered in stone? If it is the former, a solution composed by alcohol and acid is enough? If it is the latter, why they just didn't try to break the cover? I think that for a scientific manga, it is forcing us to believe in things without the right explanation; I say the right explanation because they are explaining way too much, but not with the right words. All this was to revive the girl in the third chapter, it is too soon and makes it lose all the impact.
I already saw better mangas being cancelled very quickly, it is not well structured. Hungry Marie has the same problem by the way, it seems like Shueisha wanted to have veterans and published these things in a rush without planing well.
It seems we are of a similar mind set then, also I completely over looked that animals themselves where showed to be petrified thanks for pointing that out, did it strike you as odd that Senkuu is portrayed as having been awake a while so he should be well versed in the animals roaming around don't you think that he'd have encountered any number of dangerous animals yet in the latest chapter he's surprised in said chapter to see dangerous animals. Had the writer made the whole solution that was introduced in the second chapter spread out over a few chapter do you think it would've made any difference?
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
That was a really good first chapter for RxL. I wasn't expecting much because it's golf but I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. Makes me wish it wasn't the last one being released so that we could have more chapters lol
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It seems we are of a similar mind set then, also I completely over looked that animals themselves where showed to be petrified thanks for pointing that out, did it strike you as odd that Senkuu is portrayed as having been awake a while so he should be well versed in the animals roaming around don't you think that he'd have encountered any number of dangerous animals yet in the latest chapter he's surprised in said chapter to see dangerous animals. Had the writer made the whole solution that was introduced in the second chapter spread out over a few chapter do you think it would've made any difference?
It had animals in the story? I overlook that part, but it arises another question: where the hell these animals came from if all of them were petrified? It would make the explanation better to digest through many chapters, but I think it would make everything more boring, there isn't much to do when you are the only humans alive in a forest, so it would indeed be boring... The authors didn't have much choice, the series started in the wrong way.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Wow...I actually really liked RxL and I was initially brought off towards it given the mangaka behind it but it had me sold from the very first chapter. And I'm not even saying this in comparison to the others just that it was pretty solid as a whole.
Fujimaki's strongest point is his character interactions and humour. So it's no wonder RxL had a solid start. It was easily the most interesting series so far, even if the premise is ridiculous. But hey, it took like what, 8 years for a real-life Midorima to "bloom" in the NBA. So we can't count out on a future Robo smashing Tiger's records like it's a walk across the golf course.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
Holyshit, RxL chapter was amazing, it is just the first chapter and the characters are already so likeable, especially his friend he made me lol a few times. And about the plot, tbh the main character seems a bit too OP from the get go, if this is going to run a long time like Kuroko No Basket, then it's going to be a bit painful unless the author nerfs the mc, because at this point mc is just too perfect and his trainings in the future will probably not last long considering his incredible talent.

But the positive side is, usually sports manga, the Mc is the one that's the underdog and works hard while his rivals are mostly the geniuses one that get things with silver spoon, but here it seems like it's the other way around, the rivals are the underdogs and the main character is the genius one, which means the side characters will shine a lot, already rooting for that Aomine looking guy, cause he seems very likeable character and hardworker. Looking forward to the next chapter.
 
Last edited:

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
RxL was an interesting first chapter but I will wait until there are at least 8 chapters to make a judgement on the series. I'm doing the same with Stone but the actual developments so far are making it hard to stay interested. The actual pull is in the setting and potential for coming events. Nothing interesting has happened so far but lots of incredible things can happen in the future. That's the entire charm of the series at this stage and I want to give it the time to get to these more exciting events but the characters are pretty much one dimensional. Taijuu has nothing going besides his hot-bloodedness, Senkuu has even less characterization and this new guy seems to be a typical "cool bro" like character. There's a lot of things that need to be explained and I'm just hoping that it is by chapter 8.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I hardly disagree... Why the most sold manga of all time need any more publicity? One Piece does not need it...

One Piece should not even be ranked on toc...

For the 20th year it should have its own magazine :V

One Piece does not need JUMP. JUMP needs One Piece.


OMG I so much called it... Nailed ;)
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil

For those who still doubt that Kimetsu's author is a woman.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Didn't expected to like the first chapter about a Robo-like MC playing golf the most outta the 6 new series. But it was really good and not just because it was the last of the bunch to show up but because compared to the other new series it showed a good first chapter, full-introduction of MC why he is like that, how others treat him, his best friend and their relationship, why golf is so popular right now, that he actually feels normal like others just doesn't show it and has a different set of values than most people like not getting hot-blooded about sport. Or the dark-skinned Pro guy who clearly is a hard-worker yet not so prideful and arrogant to think he is the best but immediately accepts that below him was a player above his league and he wanted to meet him not to challenge him but just to watch him play, that's very humble and pretty cool. I also liked how Robo stood up for his friend, he didn't got all "you diss mah friend you diss me, homie", but just argued logically agreeing partly with their argument that his best friend truly sucks at golf but on what basis can they say he won't get better (which I hope we get to see during the course of this manga, not only Robo playing this sport but his friend continuing to train and get slowly better as well) in the future. Him then hitting the ball ten times and 8 of those hitting the goal circle and the last one even going into the hole in one hit was not boring to watch, it was cool. I can imagine that the future tournaments gonna a lot of fun watching people drop their jaws at his perfect "Laser-beam" strikes but that it will still be a challenge for him to actually win as he has to fully master this sport as he is still a beginner, just one who is really talented at it due his Robo-like-brain.
I hope RxL will be one of those who survive from this batch.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa


OMG I so much called it... Nailed ;)
I was hoping for an art-book that is at least Jojoveller's in term of content. If this doesn't have lots of moon-runes then I would consider buying it.

Speaking of art-book, I think Shuiesha should invest in one of these one in a while.Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the only on-going series in WSJ that currently has on-going artbook series is One Piece, with Color Walk vol 7 published last year.

I know they have the Jump Ryu thing last year, but too much moonrunes for plebs like me to comprehend xD.

I always think buying an art-book is another way to support the creator without much Japanese knowledge. Art-books are usually 99% art with some has interviews and other cool stuffs.
 
Last edited:

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I want a Horikoshi art book so bad. I love his art style to death. Although I doubt I'll get one for years, if at all.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I want a Horikoshi art book so bad. I love his art style to death. Although I doubt I'll get one for years, if at all.
Would like to include stuff from his earlier works. Oomagadoki should've been the future of Jump.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I was hoping for an art-book that is at least Jojoveller's in term of content. If this doesn't have lots of moon-runes then I would consider buying it.

Speaking of art-book, I think Shuiesha should invest in one of these one in a while.Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure the only on-going series in WSJ that currently has on-going artbook series is One Piece, with Color Walk vol 7 published last year.

I know they have the Jump Ryu thing last year, but too much moonrunes for plebs like me to comprehend xD.

I always think buying an art-book is another way to support the creator without much Japanese knowledge. Art-books are usually 99% art with some has interviews and other cool stuffs.
One Piece is the only series that actually gets enough color pages to fill an artbook. AssClass got one at the end of its run and Posuka published one that's unrelated to Neverland if those count.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Stop missing the point guys... Give me your rankings ;/
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Stop missing the point guys... Give me your rankings ;/
Ours are the same, except i Have U19 ahead of We Can't Study because of Kimura's art, even though it's the series I'm most disappointed in.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
One Piece is the only series that actually gets enough color pages to fill an artbook. AssClass got one at the end of its run and Posuka published one that's unrelated to Neverland if those count.
They can be cheap like One Piece Color Walk. Usually, normal WSJ artbook has 100~110 pages. Jojo 6251 has 98 pages, AssClass has 128 pages, the last Naruto art-book has 104 pages.

It contains (from what I see on youtube): 60% color pages, 10% original artwork, 15% manga panels (so cheap Dx) and 15% concept arts.

If they really want to be cheap, they could include the cover pages inside the art-book too.

From these conditions, I would think Haikyuu , Gintama, Shokugeki and soon to be MHA would have enough to fill a 100 pages art-book.

Posuka's art-book contains 192 pages of original artworks, which I don't think these mangaka will have time to do. Heck, if a mangaka draw and color 1 original artwork per week, then he/she could get an artbook out every 2 years.
 
Last edited:

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
One Piece colors are very important. Not only because the color walks but because they are always used during the anime openings. All of them.

G-I-V-E M-E Y-O-U-R R-A-N-K-I-N-G-S
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
G-I-V-E M-E Y-O-U-R R-A-N-K-I-N-G-S
RxL
Poro
We can't study
U19 (It's only here because I haven't been reading it)
Dr. Stone
Hungry Marie
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Dr. Stone
RXL
Poro
Hungry Marie
We Never Learn
U19
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top