Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
On the subject of Viz and MHA I think it's important to recall that they did run Hokoroshi's previous series only for it to be cancelled pretty quickly. Given that, it's pretty understandable that they didn't go after MHA immediately and I don't think they were all that "slow" in getting it. While MHA did start polling well almst immediately, I think most of us here know by this point that polling well early on isn't exactly a guarantee of safety and stuff can end up imploding just a few weeks later. There wouldn't have been any real certainty until the sale figures for volume 1 were out, and given that Viz added it to their magazinea few weeks after that, I'd say the turnaround was pretty reasonable.

Kimetsu no Yaiba's current situation is a bit murkier (since it's not in ESJ I'm not reading it so I don't have any real comments on the quality one way or the other) but while it's polling well now, the sale figures for it had been stagnating around 30K until recently, and it's still not exactly a breakout success just yet. If the volume sales for it keep going up, they'll most certainly pick it up again at some point (they brought back the elDlive manga to their free digital lineup, even if it's probably just because the anime's airing right now) though whether it's just as a general manga license or an addition to the magazine is a bit more of a tossup. Either way, while their hesitance on it is more than a little irritating (I'd certainly like to read it) I can certainly understand it, and I've been pretty happy with my subscription for the last couple of years.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I mean, there are plenty of things other than popularity that can go into whether they pick something up or not. Maybe it just wasn't a good time for them, maybe it'd cost them more money for whatever reason. Not saying I'm a fan of how they've been doing stuff (didn't bother renewing my subscription this year, although that's more because of World Trigger going on hiatus) but if you're going to just assume you know everything based on one or two variables then you may as well be a Youtuber at that point.
Yeah, people here tend to forget the commercial and business aspect of all this. They should not use the word "incompetence" if they are not inside the company and therefore cannot know all the reasons for their decision.

On the subject of Viz and MHA I think it's important to recall that they did run Hokoroshi's previous series only for it to be cancelled pretty quickly. Given that, it's pretty understandable that they didn't go after MHA immediately and I don't think they were all that "slow" in getting it. While MHA did start polling well almst immediately, I think most of us here know by this point that polling well early on isn't exactly a guarantee of safety and stuff can end up imploding just a few weeks later. There wouldn't have been any real certainty until the sale figures for volume 1 were out, and given that Viz added it to their magazinea few weeks after that, I'd say the turnaround was pretty reasonable.

Kimetsu no Yaiba's current situation is a bit murkier (since it's not in ESJ I'm not reading it so I don't have any real comments on the quality one way or the other) but while it's polling well now, the sale figures for it had been stagnating around 30K until recently, and it's still not exactly a breakout success just yet. If the volume sales for it keep going up, they'll most certainly pick it up again at some point (they brought back the elDlive manga to their free digital lineup, even if it's probably just because the anime's airing right now) though whether it's just as a general manga license or an addition to the magazine is a bit more of a tossup. Either way, while their hesitance on it is more than a little irritating (I'd certainly like to read it) I can certainly understand it, and I've been pretty happy with my subscription for the last couple of years.
You got the Wisdom Award in this conversation. Good post.
It reminded me that I was also very cautions about starting reading My Hero Academia because Sensei no Bulge disaster was pretty alive in my mind. I think it was around chapter 10 or more when I decided to give it a chance, after many weeks of people saying that it was good. I can understand pretty well VIZ in this regard. The only resource I was worried about at that time was time, but VIZ has to worry about hundreds of thousand of dollars.
It was not only Sensei no Bulge, many series after that also was picked up immediately and had the same destiny, so what they did with My Hero Academia was very smart and they should do it with every single series.

Also agree with Kimetsu no Yaiba situation, nothing to add.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
On the subject of Viz and MHA I think it's important to recall that they did run Hokoroshi's previous series only for it to be cancelled pretty quickly. Given that, it's pretty understandable that they didn't go after MHA immediately and I don't think they were all that "slow" in getting it. While MHA did start polling well almst immediately, I think most of us here know by this point that polling well early on isn't exactly a guarantee of safety and stuff can end up imploding just a few weeks later. There wouldn't have been any real certainty until the sale figures for volume 1 were out, and given that Viz added it to their magazinea few weeks after that, I'd say the turnaround was pretty reasonable.

Kimetsu no Yaiba's current situation is a bit murkier (since it's not in ESJ I'm not reading it so I don't have any real comments on the quality one way or the other) but while it's polling well now, the sale figures for it had been stagnating around 30K until recently, and it's still not exactly a breakout success just yet. If the volume sales for it keep going up, they'll most certainly pick it up again at some point (they brought back the elDlive manga to their free digital lineup, even if it's probably just because the anime's airing right now) though whether it's just as a general manga license or an addition to the magazine is a bit more of a tossup. Either way, while their hesitance on it is more than a little irritating (I'd certainly like to read it) I can certainly understand it, and I've been pretty happy with my subscription for the last couple of years.
Granted on the Bulge point.
However they waited till after the third volume was released, not the first.
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I wish they'd just pick it up at the current chapter and catch up readers via the free section. They're going to release volumes for any series they pick up anyways so they could easily do 2 chapters a week in the free section starting at 1 and the gap will be filled in after about six months.

I honestly don't even care if they bother to catch people up with series they pick up, new people subscribe all the time and are not given that privilege. Viz is well aware that people use alternative methods to catch up.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm seeing people talking about why Zumou is not at the ESJ lineup (or any other long running not ESJ serialized series)... If the Manga Editors are not bothering catching the most recent japanese chapter, why should viz? This is exacly why Manga Editors are so important.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I wish they'd just pick it up at the current chapter and catch up readers via the free section. They're going to release volumes for any series they pick up anyways so they could easily do 2 chapters a week in the free section starting at 1 and the gap will be filled in after about six months.

I honestly don't even care if they bother to catch people up with series they pick up, new people subscribe all the time and are not given that privilege. Viz is well aware that people use alternative methods to catch up.
They are aware, but they cannot encourage people to do so for obvious reasons. :derp
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I'm seeing people talking about why Zumou is not at the ESJ lineup (or any other long running not ESJ serialized series)... If the Manga Editors are not bothering catching the most recent japanese chapter, why should viz? This is exacly why Manga Editors are so important.
You misunderstood, we are talking about Kimetsu no Yaiba here. Everybody knows why Hinomaru Zumou would never be published in ESJ.
Sumo and poor sales.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Because LaCrosse is totally popular and not obscure either right?
I don't think Viz would have ever added Sumo, but we can't use the sport obscurity given they ran Cross Manage to completion.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Because LaCrosse is totally popular and not obscure either right?
I don't think Viz would have ever added Sumo, but we can't use the sport obscurity given they ran Cross Manage to completion.
Lacrosse is not as obscure as you think it is.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's certainly less well known than sumo.
That's debatable but I believe the reason they chose Cross Manage is because it's a very action oriented game outside (american)football and soccer, also how many people do you know would read a manga that's based around heavy set men in basically loincloths, no disrespect in those words by the way just trying to put it in a way a new reader would see it as, whose main objective is to either push their opponent out of the circle or make them fall on the ground.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
My first contact with sumo was with Honda in Street Fighter and I think many people had the same first contact. :derp
Despite knowing the sport, it doesn't mean that I have interest for it. Lacrosse or Sumo, which one of them is most practiced in the US? I bet it is Lacrosse, a quick look at Wikipedia and we see that it even has college lacrosse and all.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
That's debatable but I believe the reason they chose Cross Manage is because it's a very action oriented game outside (american), football, and soccer
If we're going to needlessly speculate than Sumo is far more action oriented and as hot blooded as early Ippo.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
That's debatable but I believe the reason they chose Cross Manage is because it's a very action oriented game outside (american), football, and soccer
And sumo isn't very action orientated? Its about fighting... Not saying it shouldve been added as it certainly shouldnt, but Sumo is known worldwide regardless of if people actually know The details of it. As a 5 year lld kid you go to fun fairs or parties and stuff and get dressed up in the padded suites and "play fight" sumo style. Many people havent even heard of Lacross. Only reason i have is because I had a friend that did it, otherwise I wouldnt even know.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Sport manga DO NOT sell well in the states. This is a fact by one of the Kodansha rep. Look how long it take them to license Yowamushi Pedal, Diamond no Ace, Haikyuu, KnB,...

ALL OF THEM have an anime.

Why did Viz add Cross Manage is another story. I wish I know the answer.

Regarding the sport itself, Lacrosse is a popular spring high school sport beside baseball.

I am not a fan of importing manga and reading online scan (with a few exception of I know that series will not see the light outside of Japan), so it sucks a little bit if the publishers do not license series I enjoy reading.
 
Last edited:

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
To me you guys are just trying to make an excuse to explain why your "favorite manga" is not being serialized.

The answer is simple: Because viz does not think it will sell. We can debate if they are morons or don't know their stuff (they repeated made this clear)... But what's the point?

Also... What makes Kimetsu no Yaiba different than HZ again?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Also... What makes Kimetsu no Yaiba different than HZ again?
not a sport manga :derp.

Joking aside, sport manga do not sell well in the state is not an excuse, it's a fact.

But we should move on. Quick, somebody changes the topic :ck
 
Last edited:

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Topic change, how about most you've ever been disappointed in a returning mangaka or anticipated debut?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
We've got six new series, pretty much just pick one.
Also Red Sprite because I actually liked Iron Knight.
Iron Knight was very flawed but I thought the mangaka had potential.
I was really shocked that Red Sprite was far far worse than his first attempt in Jump.

Then again, following a bad series with an appalling one seemed to work for Tabata.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm never disappointed because I never expect anything from Jump series. It is the most trial and error magazine anyway. Just move on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top