Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 502 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM2

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
For a show like One Piece, action is integral to its storytelling. Having a One Piece live-action show just seems like a waste of resources since its going to be incredibly costly to recreate the setting and powers without coming off as unintentionally silly.

Out of all the manga currently running in Jump I think MHA would translate best to live action format. If the massive success of superhero movies and tv shows is anything to go by.

It should be noted though that any attempt at a live action show will need to dramatically reduce the scale of the source material due a possible lack of resources and not enough time to focus on anything besides a handful of characters. Pretty much anything granted by long-form storytelling such as large casts and worldbuilding will need to be reduced for the sake of expediency.

Kamen Rider Dragon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really don't understand this mentality to turn every popular manga into a live-action thing despite the source material. One Piece works as a manga/animated property because how cartoonish it is. It's like doing a live-action Looney Tunes show with real people in costumes of the characters, it doesn't work. Then again, this may not even happen. Just ask the Naruto, Battle Angel Alita movies. Not to mention the Monster live-action show that never took off.

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
For a show like One Piece, action is integral to its storytelling. Having a One Piece live-action show just seems like a waste of resources since its going to be incredibly costly to recreate the setting and powers without coming off as unintentionally silly.

Out of all the manga currently running in Jump I think MHA would translate best to live action format
. If the massive success of superhero movies and tv shows is anything to go by.

It should be noted though that any attempt at a live action show will need to dramatically reduce the scale of the source material due a possible lack of resources and not enough time to focus on anything besides a handful of characters. Pretty much anything granted by long-form storytelling such as large casts and worldbuilding will need to be reduced for the sake of expediency.
Bolded: Definitely. Hollywood's pretty much got a working template for Superhero movies, so adapting MHA wouldn't be much of a problem. I remember MHA's editor talking about this, and I think it's actually more feasible than people might think.

What I'd wonder about would be the casting choice.

If Vin Diesel had more hair, he could be a perfect fit for All Might, especially his more dramatic moments.
If Jay Baruchel was several years younger, he would most definitely look the part of Izuku.
I could see Jackman as Aizawa too. He's got the rough but softie personality down.
I think Tsuyu should be Japanese or of Japanese descent, if only to make her stand out more and out of respect for the source material.

iceemperor

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Bolded: Definitely. Hollywood's pretty much got a working template for Superhero movies, so adapting MHA wouldn't be much of a problem. I remember MHA's editor talking about this, and I think it's actually more feasible than people might think.

What I'd wonder about would be the casting choice.

If Vin Diesel had more hair, he could be a perfect fit for All Might, especially his more dramatic moments.
If Jay Baruchel was several years younger, he would most definitely look the part of Izuku.
I could see Jackman as Aizawa too. He's got the rough but softie personality down.
I think Tsuyu should be Japanese or of Japanese descent, if only to make her stand out more and out of respect for the source material.
Sure Hollywood has the special effects that allow for good depiction of the Heroaca world, but the script will be the key factor in deciding how good the story actually is. I'm not on board for a live-action of MHA because even though hollywood can get the required CG, they haven't shown that they can properly adapt a manga without some kind of outside agenda thrown in. This is one of my principal worries for One Piece. Will the producers be able to properly capture the magic of One Piece without inserting some extraneous details?

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Sure Hollywood has the special effects that allow for good depiction of the Heroaca world, but the script will be the key factor in deciding how good the story actually is. I'm not on board for a live-action of MHA because even though hollywood can get the required CG, they haven't shown that they can properly adapt a manga without some kind of outside agenda thrown in. This is one of my principal worries for One Piece. Will the producers be able to properly capture the magic of One Piece without inserting some extraneous details?
Two things are certain: Sanji will be eating lollipops instead of smoking cigarettes and rice balls will be cookies. :derp

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Live Action MHA would be even worse than LA One Piece. They'd need 20 child/teen actors for Class A, another 20 for Class B, another 20 for Class C and so on. Child/teen actors are usually the worst part of movies/television series. With luck there are 1 or 2 good actors for a movie/television series, but not 40 to 60. Or they'll do it the american style a la Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift where a 30 years old dude plays a high schooler. I'm not hyped for 14 year old Deku with beard stubbles.
The constant CGI for half of the class wouldn't help it either. In One Piece they could show the crew without CGI until Chopper joins because Luffy, Nami, Zorro, Usopp and Sanji look relatively normal outside of fights, but in MHA they'd need CGI for Jirou, Mineta, Shouji, Kouda etc. from the beginning.
Every fight would at best look like a Marvel Cinematic Universe fight where there are 40 camera cuts in 10 seconds and you never see the faces of the characters until the fight is over, because their stunt doubles are doing most of these fights for them.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The hell are you talking about? They're obviously donuts, where'd you get cookies from?
Does it make any difference to my point? XD

Kamen Rider Dragon

Reaction score
Country
United States
The thing is that My Hero still has to be Japanese imo. While it takes some inspiration in American superheroes, it's still very much in a Japanese setting.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, if Sky High's any indication, I think they could come up with a decent script. Even that movie sets the bar pretty low. I agree that they haven't shown anything that proves they could adapt a manga onto LA, but for MHA, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. They just need the right guy with the right passion, Sky High's team is one example to look at.

Live Action MHA would be even worse than LA One Piece. They'd need 20 child/teen actors for Class A, another 20 for Class B, another 20 for Class C and so on. Child/teen actors are usually the worst part of movies/television series. With luck there are 1 or 2 good actors for a movie/television series, but not 40 to 60. Or they'll do it the american style a la Fast & Furious Tokyo Drift where a 30 years old dude plays a high schooler. I'm not hyped for 14 year old Deku with beard stubbles.
The constant CGI for half of the class wouldn't help it either. In One Piece they could show the crew without CGI until Chopper joins because Luffy, Nami, Zorro, Usopp and Sanji look relatively normal outside of fights, but in MHA they'd need CGI for Jirou, Mineta, Shouji, Kouda etc. from the beginning.
Every fight would at best look like a Marvel Cinematic Universe fight where there are 40 camera cuts in 10 seconds and you never see the faces of the characters until the fight is over, because their stunt doubles are doing most of these fights for them.
How many people are in Sky High's cast anyways? I'm pretty sure it's around that number for the classes. Even then, there's about 5-7 kids who aren't that relevant to the plot anyways. It shouldn't be a problem on which characters they should focus on. Class B only has about 3-4 kids that are relevant.

The thing is that My Hero still has to be Japanese imo. While it takes some inspiration in American superheroes, it's still very much in a Japanese setting.
Why should it? Horikoshi created the series with the western aesthetic in mind, while keeping that Japanese touch. If anything, I feel Horikoshi wouldn't mind one bit if the setting was placed in the US so long as the characters are intact.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Well, if Sky High's any indication, I think they could come up with a decent script. Even that movie sets the bar pretty low. I agree that they haven't shown anything that proves they could adapt a manga onto LA, but for MHA, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. They just need the right guy with the right passion, Sky High's team is one example to look at.

How many people are in Sky High's cast anyways? I'm pretty sure it's around that number for the classes. Even then, there's about 5-7 kids who aren't that relevant to the plot anyways. It shouldn't be a problem on which characters they should focus on. Class B only has about 3-4 kids that are relevant.

Why should it? Horikoshi created the series with the western aesthetic in mind, while keeping that Japanese touch. If anything, I feel Horikoshi wouldn't mind one bit if the setting was placed in the US so long as the characters are intact.
Sky High was released 12 years ago back when the film industry was different from now. Also, if they couldn't find anyone but some guy who needed some quick money to do Dragon ball Evolution's script, I have even less confidence that they will put passion into Heroaca, a franchise which is in comparison a fledgling.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
That's good, I was not willing to read in Japanese, but now I will give it a try.

Nakurawari

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
That's good, I was not willing to read in Japanese, but now I will give it a try.

In the free chapters section no less. Very good!

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sky High was a great movie. I'm with Newerzky that MHA could seemingly ease in a live-action much more fluidly than OP but ShenGao and iceemperor's points are valid as well. The thought of an all-children cast scares me.

TM2

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
As I stated before. Any attempt to adapt something from Jump, which is practically synonymous with long term storytelling, will need to drastically scale back the perks long term storytelling affords them. That means that whoever is producing these things cannot afford to focus on a large cast.

Kave

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Spring weapon estimated sales

Volume 1 - 8,269 (17 days)
Volume 2 - 6,599 (13 days)
Volume 3 - 7,257 (13 days)

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Sky High was released 12 years ago back when the film industry was different from now. Also, if they couldn't find anyone but some guy who needed some quick money to do Dragon ball Evolution's script, I have even less confidence that they will put passion into Heroaca, a franchise which is in comparison a fledgling.
And look where we are now! Superhero movies are all the rage at this moment. I think that Sky High provided much of the template of what Superhero movies are now, and MHA which is basically Sky High in manga form, would translate almost seamlessly into LA form. Of course, I do get where you're going about the script though.....unless Horikoshi comes on board to provide much of the input on the script, which may or may not help.

Sky High was a great movie. I'm with Newerzky that MHA could seemingly ease in a live-action much more fluidly than OP but ShenGao and iceemperor's points are valid as well. The thought of an all-children cast scares me.
I don't think it would be that bad...? I mean, getting teens casted shouldn't be that hard so long as the production are patient in polishing the actors.

As I stated before. Any attempt to adapt something from Jump, which is practically synonymous with long term storytelling, will need to drastically scale back the perks long term storytelling affords them. That means that whoever is producing these things cannot afford to focus on a large cast.
MHA is interesting in that it has a large cast, but it never feels like the cast is that much larger than what it actually is. Just the core group of seven alone should be easily focused on, with another 5 more as supporting characters and the rest being extras.

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
And look where we are now! Superhero movies are all the rage at this moment. I think that Sky High provided much of the template of what Superhero movies are now, and MHA which is basically Sky High in manga form, would translate almost seamlessly into LA form. Of course, I do get where you're going about the script though.....unless Horikoshi comes on board to provide much of the input on the script, which may or may not help.
I don't think it would be that bad...? I mean, getting teens casted shouldn't be that hard so long as the production are patient in polishing the actors.

MHA is interesting in that it has a large cast, but it never feels like the cast is that much larger than what it actually is. Just the core group of seven alone should be easily focused on, with another 5 more as supporting characters and the rest being extras.
Don't want to dab into this too much or jagman will give me a hammer :pwned.

Answer some of this question for me

1. What makes you think MHA will get high budget then the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

2. Teen Cast = Less Production Budget = Less Freedom Creativity .

3. Sky High made a fraction of what these superheroes make nowadays so no it isn't a good indicator of success superheroes movies. So stop using Sky High as an example.

4. Take a look at all those recent superheroes and see what do they have in common. That's right, THEY FOCUS ON ONE CHARACTER ONLY, with the exception of Avenger,Civil War. Some characters made appearances here and there but ultimately, it focus on ONE PERSON.

Remember, Hollywood Live Adaption does not care about the fans, they are doing it to cater the casual western fan (See dragonball, netflix deathnote). So here's why MHA will look like if you follow the current superheroes's template. Note i'm talking about a movie here and not a tv show

- Japanese High School replaces with Modern US High School
- No Such thing as Class 1 B, movies won't have time to introduce them
- Class 1-A reduce to maybe 5~10 people
- Teachers will be reduce to maybe 4~5
- The villain for this movie will be Stain, movies won't have time to introduce All For One
- Literally the first hour will be the beginning of All Might and Deku, giving the rest of the time to introduce Stain.

The closest thing to this template is the Spiderman Homecoming movie. All Might = Tony Stark, Deku = Spiderman. Lastly, don't mention sequel when you quote me.

Status
Not open for further replies.