Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1. My Hero Academia: Yeah don't have a problem with this arc like some people do essentially since its doing what people complained about in the previous arcs with its focus on world building and developing the extended cast. It'll probably one of those arcs that's better in one go or better animated since it feels like the editor told Hori to extend this a bit because there wasn't enough material to work with.
2. One Piece: Really loved WCI as a whole :cheez and these winding down chapters have been really exciting, definitely one of the better arcs of post timeskip.
3. Kimetsu No Yaiba: Character poll when? That aside its amazing how much this series has grown on me since I picked it up, there's something endlessly charming about its simplicity from its art to its characters
4. Hinomaru Zumou: Definitely the best sports manga running in Jump now and without a doubt the most underrated. In a few chapters it will beat World Trigger in chapter count which is a testament of its standing ground.
5. The Promised Neverland: This is a setup arc so its lacking on the twists and turns of the first one so the focus its largely on worldbuilding this time around. The characters remain sort of "eh" not really noteworthy (and I miss the dynamic between Ray, Norman and Emma) but thankfully they don't fall into the annoying kid stereotype with everyone assuming their role and doing the best they can so maybe down the road they'll become memorable.
6. Haikyuu: This is another arc where I don't understand where the negativity comes from or maybe people taking the TOC too seriously granted I feel that the anime makes these matches go by much faster than the manga does or maybe people aren't too fond of Inarizaki like I am?
7. Robot x Laserbeam: I still very much enjoy RxL the most out of the new manga lot despite many people already dropping it. It seems like the mangaka is letting the Kuroko fangirls get to him since there's a lot more "manservice" these chapters than they were in the beginning despite that the games themselves remain engaging and the bullshit that plague Kuroko hasn't effected this manga...yet.
8. Shokugeki no Soma: Souma at this point is kinda just there, I no longer feel excitement when the next chapter is out nor feel all that engaged reading it like I used to. I used to think that the manga had enough life in it to follow Souma's complete school term at the academy but now not so much
9. Dr. Stone: At this point I'm pretty sure people are really forcing themselves to like this because they really like the artist and not much else. I get a lot of claims that the manga has improved since the other MC and his girlfriend left and it mainly focused on Senkuu BUT to a slew of forty odd some character who are just as one-dimensional and interesting as those two but the biggest kicker is that the manga still feels like its running on autopilot with no time to breathe or to care about what's happening since shit just happens and we're expected to enjoy it regardless. If Jump is hoping for this to be another pillar its going to suffer from the same pitfalls as Naruto and Bleach though at least with those two they at least showed some potential in their early stages but Dr. Stone really does feel like the artist and writer didn't have any sort of plan or don't see eye to eye in regards to where they want to series to go hence why they had to essentially "reboot it" less than 20 chapters in.
10. Black Clover: Its a tournament arc yet I couldn't feel less excited about it. Every time I feel this manga couldn't let me down anymore Tabata exceeds expectations but at least we get to see girls fight I guess right? That's a very important aspect of a BOYS COMIC that we get to see girls fight even though its not very engaging.
For Gintama I've always been an anime-only for it because it just flows so much better and the current arc of the manga has been stagnating a lot for no particular reason. Translations are way behind with Saiki but I feel a might be an anime-only with that as well since it'll be a nice replacement when Gintama ends.
Bokuben is just not my thing as other have stated its consistent with how generic it is which is good for other but not so much for me and the current chapters are already giving me Nisekoi vibes where they stretch out an incredibly simple premise to its limits but at least its not as bad as Cross Account. Hungry Marie I just feel bad for honestly since Tamura really didn't plan this premise out at all and while that was the entire basis of the humor in Beelzebub where the events that unfold may no sense whatsoever he seem to have went overboard with Marie where the very fabric of the manga is breaking by how sheer nonsensical the premise is of course this wouldn't be as bad if the characters could carry it.
 
Last edited:

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I think the detail is mostly the best thing regarding Dr. Stone's art. For example Senku's face here is drawn amazingly:


But it still has it's problems, it doesn't excuse the girls are drawn terrible except one. Also I dislike how the hands and feet are block-y, sometimes they look like pork sausages with squares placed on them.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My rankings of enjoyment are kind of weird considering I don't read that much from jump so top part 6 are the ones I still read the bottom 7 are ones I read then dropped
  1. Black Clover- Pretty Fun series to read week to week
  2. We Can't Study- Cute series. My first RomCom I didn't drop after 5 chapter
  3. Robot X Laserbeam- I rather enjoy Robo since he's pretty much how most reacted to a golf manga
  4. Shokugeki no Soma- A series I like to binge read from time to time I don't much care for the ecchi in the series but I do enjoy the character interactions in the series.
  5. MHA- Not the biggest fan of the series even when it started thought it was an okay series, though the current arc I've hated with a passion.-
  6. Dr.Stone- Thought it was going to be enjoyable before I read it first "arc", if you can call it that, was terrible boring and came across as to soon for the series. The current "arc" still not all that interested in mainly because there is no real struggle for the characters to over come.
Huge gap in interest
7.Hunter X Hunter- I couldn't get into the series
8. Hinomaru Zumo- this one and HxH are inter changeable nothing really wrong with the series just couldn't get into the series.
9. One Piece- didn't care for a lot of the arcs especially considering they all follow the same formula ( Goes to island-> Make friend-> Friend is either
captured/gets hurt/ bad guy threatens island safety-> crew and any other allies they made fight the villain(s) of the island-> Villain is defeated/
sometimes Marines show up for whatever reason-> crew leaves island-> repeat)
10. Yakusoku no Neverland- I didn't really like the plot of the series and figured that after they left the farm the series wouldn't really know what to do after
that.
11. Kimetsu no Yaiba - Didn't like the plot and the art wasn't that appealing to me
12. Yuragi-sou no Yunna-san- I don't like ecchi for the sake of being ecchi and not much else in terms of story (I dropped the series really early on in its run)
13. Harapeko no Marie- I despise this series no real plot, tries and fails in comedy, and the characters are insufferable.

An interview with Yuuki Tabata was posted today. In it, he says he's excited for Licht VS Yami fight. Well, with that I think we can asure that the anime will have at least 25 episodes.

Link to interview: http://www.comicsync.com/normal/2017/09/16/ID2619/
If the anime does end at the water temple arc its a good way to set up a season 2 if its going to be a seasonal series. Also its nice to see that Tabata is enjoying making Black Clover and doesn't seem to put off by people complaining about it.
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think the detail is mostly the best thing regarding Dr. Stone's art. For example Senku's face here is drawn amazingly:


But it still has it's problems, it doesn't excuse the girls are drawn terrible except one. Also I dislike how the hands and feet are block-y, sometimes they look like pork sausages with squares placed on them.
Yep. Bouich's art is technically sound and probably the most impressive art to ever be published in WSJ in that regard second only to Obata but his character designs are terrible and this has always been the case with him. I guess that's one of the reasons up until now his work never had a mass market appeal its like the opposite of Shimabukuro who's ugly designs have this whimsical quality to it that makes them stand out since they're not atypical bishounen designs but Bouichi clearly seems to blur the line between cartoony and realistic which just looks really off ptutting especially with his females.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
1. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san (is awesome for me).
2. Dr. Stone
3. Boku no Hero Academia
4. Black Clover
5. Robot x Laserbeam (probably becomes one of the pillars of the magazine).
6. The Promised Neverland
7. We Never Learn (Nisekoi feelings).
8. Shokugeki no Souma
9. Haikyuu!
10. Kimetsu no Yaiba
11. Hinomaru Zumou

I don't read:
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Gintama
Shuudan!
One Piece (because I'd rather see anime)

I don't like:
Hungry Marie (too much hype for nothing).
Cross Account
Spring Weapon No.01

I would put World Trigger in the top 5 if I was not on hiatus.
 
Last edited:

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Jump is now out in Japan.
#43 Preview:

Chinyuki Author's New Jump+ Series

Kochikame CP
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
So we're doing full lists.
  1. Black Clover - Battlers are supposed to fun.
  2. The Promised Neverland - This could go off the rails but I'm loving it.
  3. Kimetsu no Yaiba - The boys need actual wins.
  4. Hinomaru Zumo - Might just be the binge read hype.
  5. Yuragi-sou no Yuna-san - I like that even the extra girls get more focus than the MC.
  6. Haikyuu! - This tournament is way too long. Four more rounds.
  7. Shudan!
  8. My Hero Academia - Stay in school kids.
  9. Robot x Laserbeam
  10. Dr. Stone
  11. We Never Learn
  12. Shokugeki no Soma - If Soma jobs, I'll bump this up a lot.
Excluded for various reasons:
  1. World Trigger
  2. One Piece
  3. Hunter X Hunter
  4. Saiki
  5. Gintama
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Old naked ladies. Yep its a Gatarou manga alright. :mono
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's not like the romance elements aren't clear though. The author usually gives us a clear depiction of when someone is attracted to someone, which leads to having circumstances to cause either one or both to let the other realize their feelings for them. Even in its setting and genre I wouldn't called it more meaningful than say All Might barely being able to tell Deku all the truth of his incoming death, instead stopping himself short of finishing his sentence. The episodes connect, Ogata and Nari kissed awkwardly and now they have awkward moments in the episodes going forward. Nari helping the teacher clean her room has now led to him going over there anytime she needs him to clean something and in turn she'll help him study. But I can't see how making an episodic arc is harder than making a long winding arc. It's why we see some long running arcs (4th ninja war, Thousand Year Blood war, Dressrosa to some) drop in quality once it hits the middle towards the ending cause most new arcs start off great, but it's difficult to continue that greatness over 100 plus chapters. Bottom line, if I could participate in making the storyboard for the Simpsons (episodic) or make the storyboard for Justice League (long arching) I would take Simpsons any day of the week.
1) Dressrosa didn't drop in quality at all.
2) 4th Ninja War was only the result of badly handled series since the start of Shippunden.
3) It is just a matter of planning the arc, it is easier for an entire arc when you have (or should have) a clear understanding of what you are going to do throughout the entire arc than in a so called episodic series when it is spread out through the entire series. Episodic series are just a really big arc (meaning the entire series) where you have to connect the dots in scattered chapters and pieces of information. Now this looks easier. ~sarcasm~
In my times of fanfic writer (I was 15 years old, bear with me) I wrote long stories and arcs and it really felt like the story came to life itself after the initial push, you start to have ideas and things start to move automatically, if you are a good writer, it is not really that hard. Things like Sket Dance... Man, I respect Shinohara Kenta with all my spirit, because he was capable make me laugh week in week out with completely different chapters, he had to put his soul every week and had to make something interesting in 20 pages.
The Simpsons is just random stuff, bad example.

We get it, you love your romcoms and cute girls. No need to get so defensive over something that wasn't even an insult. I only said that romcoms are mostly episodic in nature. I made no comment on the quality of WNL (which I've said before that I enjoy) or the romcom genre.
You make it seem like romcom manga are "deep" and subtle when, especially for shounen romcom, it couldn't be more straightforward. A cute girl blushing when the mc touches her or looks in her direction isn't subtle at all.
I answered based on history. People here seem to venerate any action/adventure manga, even the trash ones, and absolutely trash any romance mangas that doesn't have boobs flying in every page.

It can be subtler than that. People criticizing Chitoge because of her behavior is the proof that people don't go deep enough. I could write 10 pages about Chitoge feelings alone.

Jump is now out in Japan.
#43 Preview:
This flowchart was interesting. XD
Shokugeki no Soma is only for people who likes fish!
If you like meat more, than you go the second question: "I like new things!", if yes, you go the GFC oneshot.
If no, then they ask if you like fruit, if yes, read "We Never Learn" (I can see what they mean, sweet, cute fruits on the preview. XD)
If no, then it asks if you want to taste high class ingredients, if yes you read Saiki (WTF) if no, you go the last question.
If you want to go all out, then go with One Piece, if not, Dr. Stone. The end.

"We Never Learn" is not considered new anymore, it is already a veteran. Venerate veterans! :derp
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Yep. Bouichi's art is technically sound and probably the most impressive art to ever be published in WSJ in that regard second only to Obata.
debatable <_>
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Funimation is providing a simuldub for Black Clover.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Kimetsu panels at Shueisha building for their Autumn Festival
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
@Leoat12 well we can chalk it up as our difference of opinions. Just wanna make sure you know that nobody is shitting on the genre of romance while praising garbage adventure genre, WNL > Dr. Stone is the freshest example of me preferring a romance over an adventure. More importantly this "venerate veterans" thing needs to die out, I'll overdose the next time I see these two words together.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
@Leoat12 well we can chalk it up as our difference of opinions. Just wanna make sure you know that nobody is shitting on the genre of romance while praising garbage adventure genre, WNL > Dr. Stone is the freshest example of me preferring a romance over an adventure. More importantly this "venerate veterans" thing needs to die out, I'll overdose the next time I see these two words together.
Maybe you are unconsciously putting action/adventure over romance, but you are. I often read her that romcom doesn't change in anything, doesn't develop in anything, is boring, full of fillers and such, I'm just seeing you corroborating with this opinion.
"Venerate veterans" was a joke.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
WNL will be fine bro, just needs more teacher chapters. Neither one of us has labeled all romances boring, can't throw all of us in the same box. Not everyone is a hater. Nisekoi became a clusterfuck at the end for various reasons but it's probably the best harem I've ever read for what it's worth.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Let me break it down for you.
I make a comment saying that Dr. Stone (a sci-fi adventure manga) has an overarching story in comparison to the more episodic story that We Never Learn (a romcom manga) has.
You get defensive (thinking that I was bashing WNL and romcoms when I've said multiple times that I like the manga) and start talking about how romance manga are deep and subtle, unlike action/adventure manga which apparently are only just a bunch of cool pictures.
Doughboy and I try to explain that I wasn't even bashing romcom manga, just commenting on how the plot format is different from action/adventure manga.
Now you're trying to tell Doughboy that he actually is "subconsciously" bashing romcom manga even though he said he wasn't because everyone else apparently hates romcom manga.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top