Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Nothing is more cringe than Forneverworld's video about series getting cancelled...he thinks OP wasn't popular since the start.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Nothing is more cringe than Forneverworld's video about series getting cancelled...he thinks OP wasn't popular since the start.
he says OP wouldn't survive in Jump because of the harsh readers survies system, one problem with his argument: IT FUCKING DID

he ended that video with a tribute to "awesome manga that was axed"

powerpoint show: Hungry Joker + Iron Knight + Barrage + Takamagahara

:wall
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
about Golem Hearts, keep your exceptions low people, this is Jump
1-the oneshot might be cool but the series could be shit, we had tons of examples on this, Goblin Knight being the most famous example
2-even if it is good it could be axed in 12 weeks, someone just posted an article about Jump being extra harsh to rookies on purpose the other day
I know, but it's the only one shot I'm looking forward to in this new batch. I've never been one for gag manga, and the other one is a ping pong manga.
I think everyone is a good writer it just come down to taste. hell all of you are good writers as well. manga authors are human just like us they dreamt of becoming mangaka they accomplished what we couldn't. I don't criticize because I have accomplish nothing so why would they listen to me think about that. the world lost its humanity too much IQ too Little Emotion. I actually sympathize with author, all they want is to bring smiles. When I read a manga I like Do I care about writing HELL NO I use my imagination not stupid logic Mammo and others know Which authors I like. I love their manga because I love artsyle and want to support them. If I wanted good writing I would use my imagination tell the story the way I want it. Bottom No one in this world is a bad writer, People just don't like some ways they tell the story. Lets be grateful we live in a world where manga and anime existed. Don't take life seriously enjoy it to the fullest.
I don't even know how to respond to this.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Nothing is more cringe than Forneverworld's video about series getting cancelled...he thinks OP wasn't popular since the start.
Wasn't going to bring his video up here since some users wanted us to stay away from discussing anime youtubers a while back.

But yeah that was even worse.
He kept bringing up "series getting cancelled after 3 ranks" as if that's the norm.
And kept saying "One Piece could have gotten axed after 3 ranks", like One Piece wasn't an immediate hit.
Also cringed a little when he said Barrage was better than MHA
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
People need to stop with the comparisons all together. The same happens with BC.
People will make comparisons to anything my problem is that it gets really repetitive when EVERYTHING IS COMPARED TO NARUTO when that manga itself was among the many influenced by Dragonball. I mean...don't tell me the extent of shounen knowledge begins and ends with Naruto and now everything that comes after it is just trying to copy it. That would be sad. I'm just waiting for the inevitable Death Note comparisons when Neverland gets animated

Todoroki is a poor man's Zuko though
Eh...at least he's a poorman's version of a good character. :3c
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
People will make comparisons to anything my problem is that it gets really repetitive when EVERYTHING IS COMPARED TO NARUTO when that manga itself was among the many influenced by Dragonball. I mean...don't tell me the extent of shounen knowledge begins and ends with Naruto and now everything that comes after it is just trying to copy it. That would be sad. I'm just waiting for the inevitable Death Note comparisons when Neverland gets animated
Oh yeah, I can totally see the Death Note comparisons. Discussions are going to be fun.

Eh...at least he's a poorman's version of a good character. :3c
I can agree with you on that.:pogchamp
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
People talking about Inumarudashi as if it was a really big success, but it was not, it was always in the lower part and I actually never understood what it was doing in the magazine.
It was pretty popular for a gag manga. Maybe you don't remember, but it sold as well even as Jaguar which was a very popular gag manga. Gag manga just don't sell anywhere near as well as other manga in Jump. I mean, look at PSI Kusuo Saiki; it has an anime and still doesn't even come close to some other manga. Why? The genre. This is relatively established knowledge. Gag manga are popular in the sense that people enjoy reading them in the magazine week per week, but they rarely sell really well in volume form.

Hell, even Saint Young Men, the border-line pentacle of gag manga, doesn't sell anywhere near as well volume-wise as a sub-par action series.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
It was pretty popular for a gag manga. Maybe you don't remember, but it sold as well even as Jaguar which was a very popular gag manga. Gag manga just don't sell anywhere near as well as other manga in Jump. I mean, look at PSI Kusuo Saiki; it has an anime and still doesn't even come close to some other manga. Why? The genre. This is relatively established knowledge. Gag manga are popular in the sense that people enjoy reading them in the magazine week per week, but they rarely sell really well in volume form.

Hell, even Saint Young Men, the border-line pentacle of gag manga, doesn't sell anywhere near as well volume-wise as a sub-par action series.
There is a considerable gap between Inumarudashi and Jaguar

Jaguar

│ 初動. (日)│ 2週計| 3週計| 4週計| 5週計┃  累計 (日数)┃ 発売日.│タイトル
│*55918 (3)│114159│134060│146600│------┃*,146,600 (*24)┃2008/07|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 15
│*88069 (5)│124404│139174│------│------┃*,139,174 (*19)┃2009/02|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 16
│*57169 (3)│102832│118619│128303│------┃*,128,303 (*24)┃2009/07|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 17
│*89581 (7)│109840│120026│125624│------┃*,125,624 (*28)┃2010/01|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 18
│*43164 (3)│*86096│------│------│------┃*,*86,096 (*10)┃2010/07|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 19
│*37630 (3)│*72417│------│------│------┃*,*72,417 (*10)┃2010/12|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 20

Inumarudashi

│ 初動. (日)│ 2週計| 3週計| 4週計| 5週計┃  累計 (日数)┃ 発売日.│タイトル
│*12287 (5)│------│------│------│------┃*,*12,287 (**5)┃2009/02|いぬまるだしっ 1
│*16684 (4)│*23542│------│------│------┃*,*23,542 (*11)┃2009/06|いぬまるだしっ 2
│*14879 (3)│*29792│------│------│------┃*,*29,792 (*10)┃2009/10|いぬまるだしっ 3
│*21441 (4)│*32717│------│------│------┃*,*32,717 (*11)┃2010/02|いぬまるだしっ 4
│*17497 (3)│*30091│------│------│------┃*,*30,091 (*10)┃2010/06|いぬまるだしっ 5
│*27683 (7)│------│------│------│------┃*,*27,683 (**7)┃2010/10|いぬまるだしっ 6
│**圏外 (4)│------│------│------│------┃*,**,圏外 (**4)┃2011/04|いぬまるだしっ 7 ※初動24,116以下
│**圏外 (3)│------│------│------│------┃*,**,圏外 (**3)┃2011/09|いぬまるだしっ 8 ※初動17,838以下
│*16779 (3)│------│------│------│------┃*,*16,779 (**3)┃2012/02|いぬまるだしっ 9
│*21209 (5)│------│------│------│------┃*,*21,209 (**5)┃2012/07|いぬまるだしっ 10
│**圏外 (3)│------│------│------│------┃*,**,圏外 (**3)┃2012/08|いぬまるだしっ 11 ※初動16,514以下

Saint Oniisan is/was one of Kodansha's biggest series. Back for the period of 2014-2015, it had a first printing of 750k.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...kodansha-shogakukan-shueisha-2014-2015/.88955
That's a massive Haikyuu level and actually a drop from the previous year where it was at 965k first printing.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...t-printings-from-kodansha-shogakukan-shueisha
This is a series that puts 1-2 volumes a year as well. Its only recently where it dropped and even then it almost does 400k just in physical copies. Its not a small series.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I predicted 7 out of 8 manga that will survive the axe and some were/are on the way for the 1st anni. Can i start making youtube videos now? Should i send in application for Shuiesha?

RIP Love Rush, you tainted my record :hi:pwned.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I was clearly wrong about the Jaguar-Inumaru Dashi comparison lol but the major point still stands: gag manga just don't sell like other genres. And maybe they aren't meant to. They aren't the same type of story.

And yeah, Saint Young Men sells, but if it's one of Kodansha's biggest series as the data seems to indicate, it still doesn't sell anywhere near like it would if it was a different genre. Most gag manga, even when they do well like Saint Young Men and Jaguar, don't get considered for anime.

Oh well, I'm not trying to make a major point here, but every time a new gag manga starts, people in this thread flip the fuck out and I just don't understand it lol Manga magazines like having a few gag manga around, why that's a crime I'll never understand.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I predicted 7 out of 8 manga that will survive the axe and some were/are on the way for the 1st anni. Can i start making youtube videos now? Should i send in application for Shuiesha?

RIP Love Rush, you tainted my record :hi:pwned.
I thought your uncle works at Shueisha.

Can you hook me up with an internship? Pls b0ss.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
All I'm gonna say on this gag manga topic is that Samon should have never died. It sold more than SW1 and the Gintama director said he was interested in it.
Also, Edited Mangas never.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I was clearly wrong about the Jaguar-Inumaru Dashi comparison lol but the major point still stands: gag manga just don't sell like other genres. And maybe they aren't meant to. They aren't the same type of story.

And yeah, Saint Young Men sells, but if it's one of Kodansha's biggest series as the data seems to indicate, it still doesn't sell anywhere near like it would if it was a different genre. Most gag manga, even when they do well like Saint Young Men and Jaguar, don't get considered for anime.

Oh well, I'm not trying to make a major point here, but every time a new gag manga starts, people in this thread flip the fuck out and I just don't understand it lol Manga magazines like having a few gag manga around, why that's a crime I'll never understand.
Saint Oniisan and Jaguar are definitely exceptions to the rule for gag manga but Saiki is in a similar vein, namely being gag manga, to jaguar and does similar numbers to Jaguar as well. Its entirely possible that the mangaka felt Jaguar wouldn't translate well to a TV anime though it did get both an OVA and a live action film, strangely similar to Saint Oniisan which also got an animated movie and has an upcoming live action.

However, it should be noted that there's really no basis to think Saint Oniisan would sell even better considering it was effectively a million seller without an anime.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
There is a considerable gap between Inumarudashi and Jaguar

Jaguar

│ 初動. (日)│ 2週計| 3週計| 4週計| 5週計┃  累計 (日数)┃ 発売日.│タイトル
│*55918 (3)│114159│134060│146600│------┃*,146,600 (*24)┃2008/07|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 15
│*88069 (5)│124404│139174│------│------┃*,139,174 (*19)┃2009/02|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 16
│*57169 (3)│102832│118619│128303│------┃*,128,303 (*24)┃2009/07|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 17
│*89581 (7)│109840│120026│125624│------┃*,125,624 (*28)┃2010/01|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 18
│*43164 (3)│*86096│------│------│------┃*,*86,096 (*10)┃2010/07|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 19
│*37630 (3)│*72417│------│------│------┃*,*72,417 (*10)┃2010/12|ピューと吹く!ジャガー 20

Inumarudashi

│ 初動. (日)│ 2週計| 3週計| 4週計| 5週計┃  累計 (日数)┃ 発売日.│タイトル
│*12287 (5)│------│------│------│------┃*,*12,287 (**5)┃2009/02|いぬまるだしっ 1
│*16684 (4)│*23542│------│------│------┃*,*23,542 (*11)┃2009/06|いぬまるだしっ 2
│*14879 (3)│*29792│------│------│------┃*,*29,792 (*10)┃2009/10|いぬまるだしっ 3
│*21441 (4)│*32717│------│------│------┃*,*32,717 (*11)┃2010/02|いぬまるだしっ 4
│*17497 (3)│*30091│------│------│------┃*,*30,091 (*10)┃2010/06|いぬまるだしっ 5
│*27683 (7)│------│------│------│------┃*,*27,683 (**7)┃2010/10|いぬまるだしっ 6
│**圏外 (4)│------│------│------│------┃*,**,圏外 (**4)┃2011/04|いぬまるだしっ 7 ※初動24,116以下
│**圏外 (3)│------│------│------│------┃*,**,圏外 (**3)┃2011/09|いぬまるだしっ 8 ※初動17,838以下
│*16779 (3)│------│------│------│------┃*,*16,779 (**3)┃2012/02|いぬまるだしっ 9
│*21209 (5)│------│------│------│------┃*,*21,209 (**5)┃2012/07|いぬまるだしっ 10
│**圏外 (3)│------│------│------│------┃*,**,圏外 (**3)┃2012/08|いぬまるだしっ 11 ※初動16,514以下

Saint Oniisan is/was one of Kodansha's biggest series. Back for the period of 2014-2015, it had a first printing of 750k.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...kodansha-shogakukan-shueisha-2014-2015/.88955
That's a massive Haikyuu level and actually a drop from the previous year where it was at 965k first printing.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...t-printings-from-kodansha-shogakukan-shueisha
This is a series that puts 1-2 volumes a year as well. Its only recently where it dropped and even then it almost does 400k just in physical copies. Its not a small series.
Thank you for bringing this up. I know what I'm saying, but I don't have the patience to go as deep as that and bring data to prove what I'm saying. It should be obvious though, gag manga lasts forever if it makes the minimum of success, if Inumarudashi was canceled...
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
This came from the latest ToCs. The fans are being kind of harsh with Horikoshi :p

I know this is dumb but I've never known what TOC stands for
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Quote me on this. Lycopene will be a success :3c.

In all seriousness though, why do people seem so against funky stuff? It's a good strategy, you see this on the cover and wonder what the hell its about. It draws in readers. I'm personally way more excited to read this than the other two series which will probably just be generic like everything else because I know it'll be different, and different is interesting.

The very fact the art has stirred up such a big discussion here is already a good sign for it. It's already in better position for its debut than. The other two.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
shoseki updated
things I noticed

both Cross Account and Hungry Marie are outselling Spring Weapon lol
BC vol.1 is barley in the top 50 placing at 49
RxL passed Saiki but not KnY
Made in Abyss is having a pretty late anime boost
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top