Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Boku no Hero received the greenlight just after the first volume of the manga released, i imagine that with Neverland its the same thing.

We will probably see an announcement when the manga reach 90-95 chapters.
Was it after the first volume or was it after the first 3 volumes? I remember Hori said that the decision to greenlight the anime came before volume 4 was even released, I can't find the source, it was an interview with him if I remember correctly.

As I said above, they could wait for more material to pile up and do a 2 cour adaptation, but it will take longer for the anime to come out.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
Doing pretty darn well, I have to say. I wonder if they'll go the BNHA route and decide to give it an anime ridiculously early or if they'll wait until there's enough material for a 2 cour adaptation.
I think that Jump should only authorize the anime after chapter 80, because Neverland will surely be in another arc.
If the anime is released long before, surely the anime will get close to the manga.

The first season should be them leaving the orphanage (13 eps) and the second season the current arc.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
After using this cool calculator:

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/timeduration.html

It took BNHA 636 days/1 year, 8 months, 27 days for the anime to come out from when the manga started getting serialized.

And to compare with another recent title, it took Black Clover 960 days/2 years, 7 months, 17 days until the anime came out.

And for Yuuna, depending on when the anime gets released, if it is a TV anime, it will likely only come in Spring 2018 or later. So I calculated the time in between when the manga started and April 1st 2018. 783 days/2 years, 1 month, 24 days, and if it comes in a later season, obviously, the time will grow.


Ok, now let's look at Neverland. At the moment, calculating things to present day(November 22, 2017), Neverland has been coming out for 478 days/1 year, 3 months, 21 days.

Since I've been doing this, I did the exact same thing for Kimetsu, I saw for how long it's been coming out to this day(Nov 22, 2017).
646 days/1 year, 9 months, 7 days

Conclusions? BNHA really did get an anime incredibly quickly. Oh, and this calculator will be very useful from here on out, I could've done something similar with manga start dates and anime announcement dates, but I didn't really feel like doing it.
 
Last edited:

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
No, the first anime should cover until the newest chapter. End the anime on the cliffhanger of Emma waking up in this random place.
I do not think so, the first season should be them leaving the orphanage and next season could even end in this current chapter. Both seasons would make a great cliffhanger for next season.
We'll see what the studio will decide.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ending the first season at leaving the orphangage means most of the anime will be dull talking and constantly repeating the plan for several episodes. Reading neverland is a struggle since they repeat saying what they plan to do so much.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I think that Jump should only authorize the anime after chapter 80, because Neverland will surely be in another arc.
If the anime is released long before, surely the anime will get close to the manga.

The first season should be them leaving the orphanage (13 eps) and the second season the current arc.
Well, lol, my new post from above is somewhat relevant. I do agree that it would be for the best if they waited, but that clearly isn't going to happen with their biggest upcoming series.


No, the first anime should cover until the newest chapter. End the anime on the cliffhanger of Emma waking up in this random place.
Well, they'll either end it where volume 4 finishes and make it 1 cour or they'll figure something out for the second cour, more content will be out by then and it will take way longer for the anime to come out if that's the case.

The thing is, depending how early they decide on the anime, it will overall affect how much content is adapted. For example, the BNHA anime was greenlit so quickly and they started working on it so quickly that they didn't even have those many chapters to work with in the early stages of when the anime was being planned out. Early anime planning is very crucial, even if they have a lot more chapters to work with by the time they start making the anime, they'll have to follow the plan and the storyboards they made.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
Ending the first season at leaving the orphangage means most of the anime will be dull talking and constantly repeating the plan for several episodes. Reading neverland is a struggle since they repeat saying what they plan to do so much.
If the first season ends in this scene:
For me, it will be a good season.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
If the first season ends in this scene:
For me, it will be a good season.
Yeah, that seems like a perfect end point, I said above that it would probably cover the first 4 volumes, but more like it would cover the first 5 volumes, my mistake. You should probably spoiler that.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Seems too soon, they can easily reach that point by 8 episodes.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Seems too soon, they can easily reach that point by 8 episodes.
I don't know, for example if season 1 has 13 episodes and a pace of 3 chapters per ep, then it would fit in perfectly, you also have to consider that there are 2-3 longer chapters as well. (first 5 volumes = 37 chapters)
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Was it after the first volume or was it after the first 3 volumes? I remember Hori said that the decision to greenlight the anime came before volume 4 was even released, I can't find the source, it was an interview with him if I remember correctly.
It was in an interview just before the anime came out.
When and where did you hear about the news of the anime announcement?
I don’t remember it quite clearly now, I think it was when Vol 3 was about to come out. My editor mentioned it when he was talking about some other stuff. (Laughs) Every Friday we have a discussion, and I remember my editor was talking about the rankings when he said “Oh yeah, there’s news about the anime.”
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Given that anime adaptions for popular JUMP stuff generally happens around the 2 year mark, my guess would be a Neverland anime hits in Fall 2018, and given it's not exactly suited to a daytime slot (and by extension wouldn't have to worry quite as much about how it paces itself), I'd be surprised if it took any longer than that. As for how much it should adapt, I'd say the ideal scenario would probably be split cour with the first half covering Grace Field and the second going up to the current manga arc. I wouldn't really advocate for 2 straight cours though given the shift after Grace Field is pretty drastic.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
This is probably an unpopular opinion but I think it would be best for the potential Neverland anime to only cover the first arc. My reasons being that it seemed like a lot of people said it stopped being as entertaining once the mind games of the first arc ended. Granted, the manga sales seem to contradict that claim, but it's still a valid complaint. Also, the page that was posted earlier is a great ending point as an almost cliff hanger that should convince people to buy the manga.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Given that anime adaptions for popular JUMP stuff generally happens around the 2 year mark, my guess would be a Neverland anime hits in Fall 2018, and given it's not exactly suited to a daytime slot (and by extension wouldn't have to worry quite as much about how it paces itself), I'd be surprised if it took any longer than that. As for how much it should adapt, I'd say the ideal scenario would probably be split cour with the first half covering Grace Field and the second going up to the current manga arc. I wouldn't really advocate for 2 straight cours though given the shift after Grace Field is pretty drastic.
That does feel really early, but I won't be surprised if it ends up being the case. I think they'll probably wait for 2019 maybe, I think they would've had a Jump Festa panel or something if they were planning on releasing it next year. I feel like we'll probably get an announcement sometime next year, but it does come down to how they want to approach the adaptation.

It would be quite perfect if they adapted chapters 1-37 just for the first season, it would create the perfect ending point and it would generate extra hype for more potential seasons in the future.

Edit: But it will come down to what studio they want to go with, they'll have to see if they find an opening, since all animation studios are insanely busy nowadays. Hopefully they don't just give it to someone to put the anime out there, but I really doubt that will happen, they must know that this isn't going to work out if it isn't done by the right people.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I think it would be best for the potential Neverland anime to only cover the first arc. My reasons being that it seemed like a lot of people said it stopped being as entertaining once the mind games of the first arc ended. Granted, the manga sales seem to contradict that claim, but it's still a valid complaint. Also, the page that was posted earlier is a great ending point as an almost cliff hanger that should convince people to buy the manga.
I do agree that having that place as an end point for season 1 would be perfect but I disagree on the fact that the manga got less interesting after that point, it's as good as ever for me, I'm still very excited to see how the story progresses. Isn't it also your complaint?, you just say a lot of people said so, but how about yourself, or are you not caught up with the manga, seems silly to say that is a valid complaint if you don't really know much about it yourself.
 
Last edited:

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
If the first season ends in this scene:
For me, it will be a good season.
It would be a good scene to end the season. But, I don't know, I didn't care that much since the author did the stupidity of
killing Ray and reversing his death a chapter later. And since it's pretty obvious Norman didn't die either, the escape doesn't seem as dramatic as it could have been.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
It would be a good scene to end the season. But, I don't know, I didn't care that much since the author did the stupidity of
killing Ray and reversing his death a chapter later. And since it's pretty obvious Norman didn't die either, the escape doesn't seem as dramatic as it could have been.
Hey, I didn't think it was stupid and the manga was as tense and as dramatic as ever.
maybe you're the type of person that's really bothered when a character doesn't die, but I sure ain't, I think what the author did was completely reasonable
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is probably an unpopular opinion but I think it would be best for the potential Neverland anime to only cover the first arc. My reasons being that it seemed like a lot of people said it stopped being as entertaining once the mind games of the first arc ended. Granted, the manga sales seem to contradict that claim, but it's still a valid complaint. Also, the page that was posted earlier is a great ending point as an almost cliff hanger that should convince people to buy the manga.
Youre the first anime fan Ive seen that is satisfied when an anime just does enough to convince people to buy a manga.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Hey, I didn't think it was stupid and the manga was as tense and as dramatic as ever.
maybe you're the type of person that's really bothered when a character doesn't die, but I sure ain't, I think what the author did was completely reasonable
The problem is not the lack of deaths, the problem is the author trying to play the smart guy all the time. He set fire to the character and then immediately invented a flashback to erase the consequences. So, if the author completely saved their butts in a situation that seemed impossible with such a cheap trick, there is no reason to worry about them anymore. No matter what, they'll be fine, they'll have some perfect hidden strategy. And so far it was precisely what happened.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I do agree that having that place as an end point for season 1 would be perfect but I disagree on the fact that the manga got less interesting after that point, it's as good as ever for me, I'm still very excited to see how the story progresses. Isn't it also your complaint?, you just say a lot of people said so, but how about yourself, or are you not caught up with the manga, seems silly to say that is a valid complaint if you don't really know much about it yourself.
Yes, I am caught up with the manga. And yes, I can agree with the complaints, but it's not that much of a problem for me. I do think the first arc is the peak of the story because the back and forth mind games were fun and reminiscent of Death Note, plus Isabella and Krone were great antagonists. The parts after the escape weren't as fun and exciting as the previous chapters since the kids on their own aren't very entertaining. I'd even go as far as to say some of the chapters were boring. Recently though, the story has picked up since the introduction of the nameless adult, but it's still not even close to my enjoyment of the first arc.
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
Quick reminder that Neverland has its own forum section to talk about spoilers specifically.
I do think the first arc is the peak of the story because the back and forth mind games were fun and reminiscent of Death Note
Just want to throw out that I think Death Note comparisons are ridiculous. This has always been a straightforward adventure series.

Mind games are about players one-upping each other with secrets and manipulation: hidden identities, ulterior motives, and other passive aggressive bullshit. The characters here never bother with any of that nonsense. No one is concealing anything in the confrontations with the Mamas and Ray. No one even gets the chance to lie. Everyone puts their cards on the table.

What actually makes Neverland clever is the world building and watching the kids just talk through their discoveries.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top