Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Yuuna hasn't fallen off in anyway to me, but it's surprising that some like me have WNL above it. I credit WNL more than putting down Yuuna, the adult elements of the teacher and ronin kinda enhanced the series surprisingly. Wonder how everyone else is feeling on Yuuna, anime is a long ass time from now.
Honestly 2017 has been a weak year for it, and had some of its weakest chapters with the editor switch.
After that boring idol arc (easily the weakest in the series) though, it's been picking up a lot with back to back fun as hell chapters and I can't wait for the next one. Art has surprisingly gotten a bit better too.
 

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1. OP
2. TPN
3. MHA
4. Kimetsu no Yaiba
5. Dr. Stone
6. Boruto
7. Soma
8. Haikyuu
9. Cross Account
10. Shudaan!
11. Golem Hearts

Dropped: BC(after 122 chapters. I'm a very patient person:cheez), FD
On Hold: Saiki, Zumo, Gintama, HxH,
Not Interested: RxL, WNL, Yuragi, SW#1
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
I didn't much care for the pacing that One Pieces arcs had started going at it became less enjoyable for me to read. The reason behind the HxH drop is that I just couldn't really get interested in reading it each week so I eventually stopped I'd say about halfway through YorkNew.
Yooo you really need to pick it back up. I suggest watching the 2011 anime then read the manga at chapter 340 which starts right after the anime. 2nd part of the chimera ant arc is reslly enjoyable. After you would catch up in the manga i would suggest going back and read the manga since they leave some stuff out in the anime but that would totally be up to you.

Really though hxh is great lol
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
no reason to ever catch up to HxH, youll always be waiting months for new content. Since we only get 8 chapters a year. Just tell people to read it when its completed in 2034.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Yuuna hasn't fallen off in anyway to me, but it's surprising that some like me have WNL above it. I credit WNL more than putting down Yuuna, the adult elements of the teacher and ronin kinda enhanced the series surprisingly. Wonder how everyone else is feeling on Yuuna, anime is a long ass time from now.
I've been really pleased with it. The ecchi and SOL moments have still good, and I don't mind that we haven't had another serious arc for awhile. The girls are starting to get a bit more depth to them, which is also nice. I'm glad the series is getting an anime adaptation since hopefully it'll be able to increase the sales volume and help it beat stagnation.

As for WNL, I think that all of the girls are really fantastic. Uruka is my favorite, but I can see the writing on the wall that Fumino is probably destined to win. Rizu has kind of fallen by the wayside in terms of being central to the plot or getting major development, but I'm assuming they're going to shift some of the focus back to her pretty soon. Asumi has been a brilliant addition to the cast. She's serious for her dream and works really hard, with the added bonus of getting a "Nisekoi" fake relationship story with her dad and some lighthearted teasing. Sensei is pretty good, but I'd be floored if she won, so I just enjoy the gags she brings to the table.

Both series are really good, so I agree with your point on WNL's success not being from Yuuna worsening. Of the 3 new series that survived, I'd say WNL's success has been the most surprising due to the author being relatively unknown compared to Dr. Stone's and RxL's. Glad to see that both of them are doing well without cannibalizing each others' popularity.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Sales (12/11-12/17)
110826 *522122 Haikyuu 29
*42130 *182561 Black Clover 14
*32615 *163000 Gintama 71
*24130 2225310 One Piece 87
*21652 *110729 Kimetsu 9
*16336 **78014 Robot x Laserbeam 3
- Below Oricon line

*13339 *289487 Neverland 6
*12807 **61314 Dr. Stone 3
*12663 **71715 We Never Learn 4
*11743 *526003 MHA 16
*10690 *429126 Neverland 1
**9227 *406539 Neverland 2
**8668 *299929 DBS 4
**8365 *331901 Neverland 5
**8160 *376079 Neverland 3
I think Kimetsu's growth is slowly coming to a halt.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
why would you say that? elaborate please
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
1. Hinomaru Zumou (Part 2 has been ace, devastated we can’t release faster so more can read it :/)
2. One Piece
3. MHA
4. Neverland (Upcoming arc looks to be much like the first)
5. Shudan
6. Kimetsu
7. Golem Hearts
8. Dr Stone
9. Robo
10. Yuuna
11. WNL
12. Gintama
13. Haikyuu (Was done with this match 40 chapters ago, raaage).
14. Soma
15. Black Clover

Not ranked: Saiki, Spring Weapon, Lycopene, Boruto, Fodder.
Yuuna and WNL are only really that low because I just cant rank an episodic series above something with a good, compelling story.
Gintama and Haikyuu I cant enjoy in manga-form anymore, and Soma and BC are just outright poor atm.

All the shit-talk about how funny it’d be if BC’s anime did little for the manga’s sales, but I honestly never expected it do as little as it has. I do feel kind of bad for it and hope it does do more once it adapts content where stuff actually happens. Itll be a bit sad otherwise.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's always had decent enough variety, we just actually get to read every series now instead of only the battle shounen making it overseas.

Anyways my ranking would probably be something like

Kimetsu
Zumou
Neverland
Black Clover
Shokugeki
WNL
One Piece
Dr Stone
RxL
MHA
Yuuna
Gintama
Haikyuu

HxH and World Trigger would both probably be mid-high if they were actually consistently in the magazine.
There's also a pretty big gap between the rest of the series and Gintama and Haikyuu, I probably wouldn't bother with Gintama's manga if it wasn't so close to the end (it's the one series I feel works a lot better animated) and I really don't care for Haikyuu's current match but I'm hoping it moves on in not too long.

I expect Saiki would probably be around the middle if I read it but with s2 coming soon I figured I might as well just wait for that since translations are pretty far behind Japan.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
ranking:
Yuuna
Neverland / Kimetsu
Dr. Stone

Dropped like it's hot: Shokugeki
On-hold: OP, WT (hiatus) - OP would be #1 or 2, WT at #3
Anime-only: Saiki, Gintama, Haikyuu!!, MHA (for now), HxH
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Can anyone tell me what this is?
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Can anyone tell me what this is?
Looks like a lineup of character stickers that Jump will release every day in January.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Yuuna hasn't fallen off in anyway to me, but it's surprising that some like me have WNL above it. I credit WNL more than putting down Yuuna, the adult elements of the teacher and ronin kinda enhanced the series surprisingly. Wonder how everyone else is feeling on Yuuna, anime is a long ass time from now.
I dropped Yuuna this year because it was going nowhere. At the start it was good with what the story was trying: finding a way to make Yuuna pass on, protecting her from the other exorcists, protecting her from other supernatural beings like the black dragon god, finding out about her past etc.
But now it's just doing episodic adventures with 1 or 2 other girls without any purpose. They get sucked into a Dragon's Quest like videogame and have to clear it in 1 chapter, they go to a secret onsen an relax for 1 chapter, they have a fitness test and some girls get weird because the school nurse is a succubs for 1 chapter and so on.
The chapters have no correlation anymore and there is no story being told, it feels like a weekly child's cartoon just with 500% more tits and ass.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I dropped Yuuna this year because it was going nowhere. At the start it was good with what the story was trying: finding a way to make Yuuna pass on, protecting her from the other exorcists, protecting her from other supernatural beings like the black dragon god, finding out about her past etc.
But now it's just doing episodic adventures with 1 or 2 other girls without any purpose. They get sucked into a Dragon's Quest like videogame and have to clear it in 1 chapter, they go to a secret onsen an relax for 1 chapter, they have a fitness test and some girls get weird because the school nurse is a succubs for 1 chapter and so on.
The chapters have no correlation anymore and there is no story being told, it feels like a weekly child's cartoon just with 500% more tits and ass.
It's kinda true actually .

Before the dragon god arc there are 10+ episodic chapters (chapter 14)
Before finding out about her past there are 15+ episodic chapters after the dragon god arc (chapter 30)

After that i agree since the next chapter about Yuuna's past is on 54 (+24), you could say chapter 64 has some information and the next one according to the preview will be 92 if they don't bamboozled us (+40).
:blink
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
It's kinda true actually .

Before the dragon god arc there are 10+ episodic chapters (chapter 14)
Before finding out about her past there are 15+ episodic chapters after the dragon god arc (chapter 30)

After that i agree since the next chapter about Yuuna's past is on 54 (+24), you could say chapter 64 has some information and the next one according to the preview will be 92 if they don't bamboozled us (+40).
:blink
I dropped Yuuna this year because it was going nowhere. At the start it was good with what the story was trying: finding a way to make Yuuna pass on, protecting her from the other exorcists, protecting her from other supernatural beings like the black dragon god, finding out about her past etc.
But now it's just doing episodic adventures with 1 or 2 other girls without any purpose. They get sucked into a Dragon's Quest like videogame and have to clear it in 1 chapter, they go to a secret onsen an relax for 1 chapter, they have a fitness test and some girls get weird because the school nurse is a succubs for 1 chapter and so on.
The chapters have no correlation anymore and there is no story being told, it feels like a weekly child's cartoon just with 500% more tits and ass.
You can blame the editor change for this.
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
Someone needs to stop Ikemoto, holy shit.
It's far from being the worst thing he has drawn, but I agree. It's pretty uncomfortable.

The kind of flirty mannerisms he gives Sarada are unfitting and weird.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
You can blame the editor change for this.
I've said this before but the current trend with editors seems to be to prioritize the mangaka's vision first and basically help draw out and structure ideas. Monji specifically said that he basically gives suggestions to Horikoshi about what characters to use and the like. These episodic chapters might have been the editor's suggestion but Miura is the one who went forward with it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top