Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I believe he admitted that he was bummed about Zoo and Barrage, but mostly Zoo. I assume Barrage was more of an editors series. He said that MHA was more of a series that he would enjoy instead of worrying about what the readers would enjoy, and now that it's successful he's taking characters from zoo and putting them in the series
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hungry Joker was very hyped after the GFC. Sensei no Bulge was very hyped as well (If I'm not mistaken, it was the very first "new" series that viz picked for it's shonen jump version). They flopped hard because they were very very bad, not because they did not have fandom (they do even today).

I for instance still think that Hungry Joker is better than Black Clover. Sensei no Bulge was indeed crappy.

And again, I agree, a series will succeed if it's good, independent of whoever is it's mangaka. What I said is... It's EASIER when you already have a fandom, when you already have experience, when you already know how the "system" works. But pay no mind to my opinion.

Just wait for the 3 new rookies relevance against the 3 veteran.

You can quote this message after that =)
Hungry Joker was hyped because the oneshot was good, but as you may know, the series was not as good as expected and everybody lost interest quickly, therefore no fandom. Sensei no Bulge was hyped here because of VIZ, I don't think Japanese readers gave a shit to the series before it serialized and we know that they didn't when it was released. Therefore, they didn't have fandom.

One Piece was and continues to be Oda first series. Just saying. XD
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
The 3 rookies and 3 veterans are on equal footing as far as who is more likely to survive.

I'm sure most of us are only more excited for the veterans because have some idea for what to expect because we read their past series. But that doesn't mean the rookies aren't likely to have better and more successful series
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
They flopped hard because they were very very bad, not because they did not have fandom (they do even today).
I wouldn't say that's bullshit, but I'll say you gave us alternative facts
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Kisenosato has been officially granted the rank of 72nd yokozuna, the first Japanese yokozuna in 19 years.

Kawada has attained nirvana from happiness after hearing the news.

It has been an honor to read you, Hinomaruzumo.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
b-b-but Hinomaru was suppose to be the chosen one

The 3 rookies and 3 veterans are on equal footing as far as who is more likely to survive.

I'm sure most of us are only more excited for the veterans because have some idea for what to expect because we read their past series. But that doesn't mean the rookies aren't likely to have better and more successful series
I love my rookies as much as the next guy, but It was getting tiring, jump kept putting these unrefined works one after the other
having some veterans returns is refreshing
I hope they continue to be diverse in future serialization round, a rookie here and a veteran there, keep it balanced
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'm guessing we'll get the promo images for the new things tomorrow? I'm looking forward to seeing all the MCs on (presumably) a 2 page spread.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
b-b-but Hinomaru was suppose to be the chosen one



I love my rookies as much as the next guy, but It was getting tiring, jump kept putting these unrefined works one after the other
having some veterans returns is refreshing
I hope they continue to be diverse in future serialization round, a rookie here and a veteran there, keep it balanced
Yeah, last year was pretty bad, but there are a few rookies from 2015/2016 I want to come back to some success eventually though
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
If you guys what you said is true and Beelzebub author's new work is a rom-com, i don't know how i feel about this, Beelzebub romance was pretty bad, the set up was good but the execution was bad.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Komi Naoshi has to come back and put some quality in this magazine.
I'm being serious and joking at the same time, I want him to come back with a romance comedy to blow you guys minds. :derp
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
If you guys what you said is true and Beelzebub author's new work is a rom-com, i don't know how i feel about this, Beelzebub romance was pretty bad, the set up was good but the execution was bad.
Supposedly it's an action romcom
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Beelzebub romance was the worst I've seen in my life, so I'm worried. Not that Tamura really catches my attention that much as I just really liked the tissue arc and the rest was average to awful, when romance was in play.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Sensei no Bulge was indeed pretty crappy. What's the general thoughts on Oumagadoki Zoo? I actually really liked it. I still think My Hero Academia is his best work though. He even once described the original 'My Hero' one shot as his peak(although he said that before MHA).
Well, I've always long speculated that Oumazoo is where Jump let Horikoshi do his thing just to see the kind of potential he has, while Bulge was something they had him do to get him used to more conventional shonen tropes to understand Jump's essence. With MHA, Horikoshi and his editors took the good parts from both series to create what MHA is today.

I believe he admitted that he was bummed about Zoo and Barrage, but mostly Zoo. I assume Barrage was more of an editors series. He said that MHA was more of a series that he would enjoy instead of worrying about what the readers would enjoy, and now that it's successful he's taking characters from zoo and putting them in the series
Funny thing about the zoo people in MHA, Horikoshi outright admits that Animal/Beast-types of the Mutant class is the strongest type of Quirk users right next to Elemental-types. You really get the feel of how vindictive he is over Oumazoo.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Beelzebub romance was the worst I've seen in my life, so I'm worried. Not that Tamura really catches my attention that much as I just really liked the tissue arc and the rest was average to awful, when romance was in play.
Was there really a romance in Beelzebub?
Kunieda wanting Oga's attention and Furichi being a lolicon for Lumia are just running gags and jokes set up
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
What's Beelzebub about? I see it so much on here
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's a half battle shounen/half gag series about a delinquent who suddenly has to carry the demon king's newly born baby around with him everywhere.

How much you enjoy it heavily depends on how much you like its sense of humour, it's not like OPM where you can treat it as a normal serious battle shounen ignoring the gag aspect and still love it.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, I'll try it later tonight
 

Azure Warrior

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
367
Reaction score
315
Age
32
Country
United States
And don't forget Beelzebub has plenty of Beel's dong for humor.

It's like that baby doesn't know what a diaper is. XD
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top