There's nothing strange about the creator of a long runner switching to a lighter schedule for their next thing, it's well known how horrendous a weekly artist's schedule is.
Also the guy got started with a silly gag manga for kids, is it really that much of a shock that he's doing another one? This is a guy with two decently successful long running series in the most competitive manga magazine out there, if he wanted to do another serious battle shounen in Jump SQ or with another publisher I seriously doubt he'd have trouble getting accepted.
Besides, we all know Jump+ is where the rejected creators go.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170125-00000576-san-ent
Digital sales are actually higher than you would think. Its rapidly growing, taking up more than 10% of the publications in the industry, not just manga but other genres as well as of 2016. The total Digital magazine (manga included) was 190.9 Billion yen last year. Its up 27.1% compared to 2015. While its true that lots of people go to bookstores, niche mangaka are making livings off of digital sales, where they have much more say in the publishing.
I don't know, I'm fairly excited about it. Gag manga is my favourite genre; I don't really care what magazine Shima decides to write for. Good luck to him.
Speaking of digital sales for MHA, kindle version of volume 12 is currently number 1 on Amazon which is cool.
For me, I loved how Shimabu handled Toriko, and seeing him return to a gag series after one of the better series I've read in a while is definitely disappointing. I know his previous series was a successful gag manga, but even so, I wanted to see more of his world building, characters, and art. I think I just miss Toriko too much lol. Also, his series being serialized in Saikyou Jump is like a punch in the gut.
He did not go to JUMP+ (It would be ok if he went) he went to saikyou. And yes it seems to be the lighest of all magazines (hence the most irrelevant of all) since it's bimonthly. I'm not sure if the release schedule changed, but it used to be bimonthly.
The problem is not the genre, it's the magazine... He would do just fine in SQ even with a gag manga.
Also why the hurry to be serialized again? Kubo is taking his sweet time (if he will return at all).
I'm sorry but I can't see how an amazing mangaka as Shima could choose himself to go to Saikyou.
And to you? Did he told you that he was in such a rush that he had to get into the first magazine that accepted him? :O
Is not like the guy is Millionaire. :O
Nor like his biggest fanbase were always kids. :O
About Toei Curse, let's see what they did from Jump after One Piece.
1- Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
2- Ring ni Kakero(Do we count this one?)
3- Beet The Vandel Buster(Do we count this one?)
- Toriko(The subject of the "curse carries on")
4- World Trigger
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo was so popular in the magazine that even got a 2nd part! No, horrible death, not hiatus.
Beet The Vandel Buster and World Trigger indeed got hiatus due to health.
So we have only 4 series, where 1 of them doesn't belong in your classification, and just 2(if we count Beet The Vandel Buster from Monthly Shonen Jump) account for your point.
Saikyou Jump is bi-monthly, there's a couple other less regular stuff (Jump SQ Crown where Beet and D-gray.man are supposed to run is quarterly, plus there's yearly specials) but it's a very light schedule. It'd be a pretty nice way to relax after an intense 8 years of weekly battle shounen while still having something to draw regularly.
I'm assuming that depends of the mangaka, the series that he/she wants to do, how their previous works went, who the mangaka is/was.
Again I don't care who put him there or if he chose this himself. It's dumb.
And yeah, I don't know if he's a millionaire but since Toriko is one of the best selling manga of all time, I don't think that he is in need of money right now. But yeah, kwowing Shima he could have spend it all with underaged girls.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170125-00000576-san-ent
Digital sales are actually higher than you would think. Its rapidly growing, taking up more than 10% of the publications in the industry, not just manga but other genres as well as of 2016. The total Digital magazine (manga included) was 190.9 Billion yen last year. Its up 27.1% compared to 2015. While its true that lots of people go to bookstores, niche mangaka are making livings off of digital sales, where they have much more say in the publishing.
Yep, but growing doesn't mean big yet. Like you said "Niche" mangaka are making living off digital sales. My Hero Academia and One Piece aren't niche manga, so the comparison between the store sales and the online sales are certainly still huge.
Kubo just got married a little while back, and he admitted that he was ill for most of the final arc. I imagine he's going to rest for some time before even thinking about returning.
There's been an update to our forum rules to broaden crediting/sourcing to all series news/announcement, etc. Please read HERE
To manage thread loading speeds and general user experience, we'd apppreciate if volume covers could be wrapped in spoiler threads, going forward. If you have any questions, reach out to a staff member. Thanks for your cooperation.
We use cookies
Essential cookies keep the site working. Analytics cookies help us improve.