Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
The Poro cover looks really good in my opinion. Don't get what's wrong with it
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
The Poro cover looks really good in my opinion. Don't get what's wrong with it
Me neither, I love the art style.

And yes! Tamura next week! My most anticipated of the bunch!
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've been reading through Black Clover recently, I know this manga isn't the most liked here, but want to know everyone's take on this. Would Black Clover have been better as a monthly release similar to Blue Exorcist. I personally think it could've been written better as a monthly release since the actual story as stated by Tabata himself that he flies by the seat of his pants when writing the story, and this could've caused him to use less cliches then he is currently using or at least do them better in a more original way.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I love the Poro cover and character design, it's really cute. Looking forward to the chapter this week.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jump SQ is not in need of help from another monthly series and I think BLack Clover has no problems that would have deemed it necessary to put in a monthly magazine. It is perfect as a weekly series especially with all the cliffhangers and epic moments that we dont have to wait 4 or 5 weeks for.

I wish Owari no Serafu was weekly. Its so good.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I still think Tabata would write on the fly if Black Clover was monthly honestly.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've been reading through Black Clover recently, I know this manga isn't the most liked here, but want to know everyone's take on this. Would Black Clover have been better as a monthly release similar to Blue Exorcist. I personally think it could've been written better as a monthly release since the actual story as stated by Tabata himself that he flies by the seat of his pants when writing the story, and this could've caused him to use less cliches then he is currently using or at least do them better in a more original way.
The story is fine. The reason why the series is bad is because of Asta. I don't think it being monthly would change having one of the worst mcs in shonen
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jump SQ is not in need of help from another monthly series and I think BLack Clover has no problems that would have deemed it necessary to put in a monthly magazine. It is perfect as a weekly series especially with all the cliffhangers and epic moments that we dont have to wait 4 or 5 weeks for.

I wish Owari no Serafu was weekly. Its so good.
I know and I've recently started liking it especially the latest chapters(BC), but I was curious if others would find it's story better if the author took longer to think out the chapters. Do you think slowing down his pacing be better for him in the long run like he wants?
 

justanotherone

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2014
Messages
315
Reaction score
101
Gender
Female
Country
Italy
The story is fine. The reason why the series is bad is because of Asta. I don't think it being monthly would change having one of the worst mcs in shonen
Asta is supposed to be the underdog but... he really isn't. That's what bothers me, otherwise I like his personality. Now he's like Erza in Fairy Tail.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Asta is supposed to be the underdog but... he really isn't. That's what bothers me, otherwise I like his personality. Now he's like Erza in Fairy Tail.
Lets be honest Erza is in a league of her own when it comes to Plot Armor in Fairy Tail, at least when Aster gets injured it actually causes him to have drawbacks until he's healed. Unlike Erza who is thoroughly destroyed, quite often mind you, and never shows injury or any type of set back.
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Injured broken arms Dorksta could have lasted a bit longer.

Otherwise he is still an underdog. He cnt really do nothing on his own in terms of mid and long range, and I bet he wont be able to freely use his new ability post arc.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I think Shonen Magazine is a good example of why not to trust or be so hyped for veterans coming back to their first Magazine. Sure, Hiro Mashima has Fairy Tail seling a lot, and in a case of "Black Magic", Seo Kouji has its 3 longest series having an anime adaptation. But their qualities in writing are so bad that even their fans wish them bad luck. So veterans in Shonen Jump can go to sh** until they actually write worth reading material, IMO. And also, it's the same sh** always that there's a novice manga. You see it as cancelled before even being released, only for some series to prove you wrong. Seriously, Otakus can be a pain in the ass for things like this.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I know and I've recently started liking it especially the latest chapters(BC), but I was curious if others would find it's story better if the author took longer to think out the chapters. Do you think slowing down his pacing be better for him in the long run like he wants?
I think it's been established that Tabata can't write for jack. His interview from Jump Festa even showed that he makes it up on the fly, and his editor didn't even know about a big character reveal he wanted to just pop up out of nowhere. Giving him more time wouldn't change the fact he doesn't think about the story...

Honestly, BC at this point is just a series with cool magic and a kid screaming about his friends. There is no story, no nothing. I'm as guilty as anyone for reading it, and I'm not saying it shouldn't be in the magazine, it's just not a series that was made with the intention of being story driven. It's a series written solely on the Jump motto, and that's it.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I would have enjoyed BC if they sewed Asta's mouth shut and doesn't bring up a friendship speech in every little scene.

 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've been reading through Black Clover recently, I know this manga isn't the most liked here, but want to know everyone's take on this. Would Black Clover have been better as a monthly release similar to Blue Exorcist. I personally think it could've been written better as a monthly release since the actual story as stated by Tabata himself that he flies by the seat of his pants when writing the story, and this could've caused him to use less cliches then he is currently using or at least do them better in a more original way.
Blue Exorcist isn't good either. Black Clover is a "okay" manga for beginners but anyone who's read a fair share of shounen manga will have their eyes rolling to the back of their heads with how shameless with it is taking every possible cliche and making it worse. A series taking ques from the past isn't bad in fact that's what every successful Jump mangaka has done but BC seems to have no identity of its own which stems from Tabata having no faith in his own writing.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Someone explain to me why Yuragi so low... if this was 8 weeks previously that would mean this would be around the trip to the beach and the ghost love story? That part had Oboro and Yuuna greatness so Japanese readers seem to dislike the best girls. Well Sagiri wasn't really featured so I digress
Chapter ranked is 44, the
end of the school play/Yuuna admitting she might like Kogarashi
chapter.
My guess is that it was people not liking the development or that this week's chapter made the EoC put it down low. (He's done this for some serious chapters before if I remember correctly)
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I would have enjoyed BC if they sewed Asta's mouth shut and doesn't bring up a friendship speech in every little scene.

Do you hate friends or have no friends? Why do people hate friend stuff?
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I know and I've recently started liking it especially the latest chapters(BC), but I was curious if others would find it's story better if the author took longer to think out the chapters. Do you think slowing down his pacing be better for him in the long run like he wants?
WELL, THE MONTHLY PACING IT'S NOT HELPING PLATINUM END TO GET BETTER. WHY IS IT? AH, YEAH. BECAUSE FOR SOME SH** REASON TSUGUMI OHBA IS WRITING SOMETHING CLICHE, BORING AND FAR AWAY FROM WHAT HE WAS BETTER AT. SO NO, BLACK CLOVER WOULD NEVER BE BETTER MONTHLY BECAUSE TABATA DOESN'T WANT TO WRITE WELL, HE WATNTS TO SELL
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Do you hate friends or have no friends? Why do people hate friend stuff?
Because friend stuff=throw away reason. Also it just shows the author isn't trying. There are a thousand other more satisfying ways to resolve a fight without using friend screaming. I actually like it once in a while, but that's all BC is...

Not to mention there's been so little character development, it's hard to imagine Asta having such strong feelings towards his 'friends'. At least in something like Fairy Tail there's been enough character development to actually believe the characters would go so far for each other.
 
Last edited:

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
Do you hate friends or have no friends? Why do people hate friend stuff?
Hmm..Why would you say that? if i say i need more blood in a manga, does that mean i have a mental illness? I like friendship and stuff when it delivers well, Luffy is one of my favorite main characters, but it's about how Asta delivers it, it is so cringe-worthy reminds me of Fairy Tail, but then that's a subjective i guess.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top