Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
World Trigger isn't his only series.
He also published Kashikoi Ken Rilienthal that were canceled with 30 or something chapters. It indeed ran for a year, between 2009 and 2010.
 

cue1996

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2014
Messages
68
Reaction score
99
Gender
Male
Country
United States
World Trigger isn't his only series.
yeah but Super Dog Rilienthal was back in 2010 and the only other thing he before World Trigger was the one-shot Elite Jin. Besides i think Ashihara's condition happened during the serialization of World Trigger seeing as the condition is age related though can be caused by other factors.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
yeah but Super Dog Rilienthal was back in 2010 and the only other thing he before World Trigger was the one-shot Elite Jin. Besides i think Ashihara's condition happened during the serialization of World Trigger seeing as the condition is age related though can be caused by other factors.
This Elite Jin isn't the one shot of WT?
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I find this really fascinating. The bookstore is also pushing TPN in their own way
a store in Shibuya.

After watching 2 episodes of Juhan Shuttai yesterday, I know how much this mean to the authors. They also include Posuka's artbook :super.
Hope it also wins that award they nominated it.
 

kobester11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 8, 2013
Messages
148
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
M̶o̶b̶ ̶P̶s̶y̶c̶h̶o̶ I mean Poro was nice. If it plays its cards right it might survive.
Quite worried since there's a lot of gag-ish series in jump now.

If anyone's interested to read it http://marumaru.in/b/origin/191638
sorry if someone already linked it.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Can we call Poro a gag series? Based on scans it looks more like a comedy/action than gag like Saiki and Spring Weapon
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
for a gag series Poro failed to make me laugh. Probably because I understand about 10% of it. Will wait for translation before I say anything else :)
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
About the people defending Togashi breaks with health issues. There was even said in majority of his breaks that he was sick at all? Or are you using the second to latest break, where it was explicitly told that he had a surgery and back problems?

I hope people aren't assuming and are happy with the justification that a Millionaire worked only the equivalent of 5 to 7 years during 19 years, because of back pain.
And I hope people don't make the mistake of projecting one break justification for all the numerous others previous to that one.
Even the recent breaks he was talking about his health frequently in the comments. What are you on about? I don't get why people are so skeptical about this as if he's lying to everyone and being "lazy". (which is stupid to call any mangaka that)

I'm not saying to blindly support him but he had a strong history of these health issues. It's better to assume that he's taking these hiatuses for the most part due to health reasons than to blindly accuse him of being lazy.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm sort of on both sides. I don't want to say Togashi doesn't have health issues. If he says his back hurts and he's in too much pain to work, I think we should just take his word for it. Whether he's lying or not, we don't know so we can't judge him for it.


But at the some time I think there should be some kind of compromise, so that dedicated fans don't have to wonder whether we'll ever reach a conclusion before Togashi gets too old to even be able to work on it anymore.
Maybe get another artist to work on it. Maybe go on a monthly or bi-month schedule. Hell even if he goes bimonthly, but only gives us a standard sized 15-18 page Jump chapter, that's still better than 0 pages a year.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I'm sort of on both sides. I don't want to say Togashi doesn't have health issues. If he says his back hurts and he's in too much pain to work, I think we should just take his word for it. Whether he's lying or not, we don't know so we can't judge him for it.


But at the some time I think there should be some kind of compromise, so that dedicated fans don't have to wonder whether we'll ever reach a conclusion before Togashi gets too old to even be able to work on it anymore.
Maybe get another artist to work on it. Maybe go on a monthly or bi-month schedule. Hell even if he goes bimonthly, but only gives us a standard sized 15-18 page Jump chapter, that's still better than 0 pages a year.
Monthly will be awesome and I was thinking about it. I think Togashi may just aim for a volume/year rate..or every other year.

BTW, can someone confirm if this interview is legit or not? It was with Togashi and Oda apparenty years ago...Togashi did say the series is almost near completing after the election arc and with the way how Kurapika/Leorio are close to completing their goal I could see it happening. Anyways please confirm...got a feeling it's going to be no but worth asking lol.
Hey guys, so this is an old interview of Yoshihiro Togashi and Eiichiro Oda from October 2011 that I found on a french forum

Of course T stands for Togashi and O for Oda

T: Yes, as a writer for the jump, sometimes I feel not to be much compared to you (I guess it refers to the fact that One Piece is one of the flagship series of Shonen Jump)

O: Mr. T is too humble. When I was attending, I had always loved your work for their originality.

T: I do not like stories that follow a predefined scheme. I always try to make things more interesting, more unexpected. I pay much attention to your work too. Your story is very emotional. (? I have my doubts about the last sentence so I translated literally)

O: Haha, usually I create the character first, and then I invent a story in keeping with this character. Mr.T and you?

T: Sometimes I'm out of ideas and it tires me. I generally watch western movies, martial arts series, short series of legends and history for ideas.

O: I see. It's a good idea. Your characters are great. The drawing must ask you a lot of effort, right?

T: Just a habit to take. Maybe I'm more influenced by the old school.

O: The arc of ants is almost finished? I think the second half of the arc ant is very special, and it inspired me a lot.

T: Thank you. I just drew it that way as if, as there were lots of breaks in between. there have been some changes in my style for the ant arc. I am impressed that OP always retains the same style.

O: There are times when I would like change my style, but it's risky. I'm sure Mr. T understand.

T: Yes, the editors were concerned with the style of HxH and they were worried that readers would not appreciate, but I still continued. I want to show clearly what I have in mind.

O: So where is HxH? halfway through?

T: Hard to say. I still have five or six stories in mind. If all goes as planned, there should be at least 3 or 4 stories after the ant arc. Course of time, unexpected events occur and fuck up your plans. therefore, OP is more than half?

O: Yes, I think I'm going a little fast. When a story is half over, I'm already thinking about the following story to my readers, so the story a bit rushed.

T: That means you do not miss imagination, which is a good thing.

O: The editing is very helpful. In general, I give them the story in outline, and they are the ones that help me work out the details.

T: Shonen Jump Magazine has a lot of good manga with wide range of topics. Everything seems that they can continue much longer. The new ones look promising.

O: One Piece once worked in collaboration with Toriko. I think the manga (Toriko) closely resembles the beginning of HxH. He must have been influenced by Mr. T.

T: I think the same thing, but my world is bigger than his. It's more like OP(One Piece). Haha.

O: I see Mr. T still has a sense of humor.

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:MrGenial11/Yoshihiro_Togashi_/_Eiichiro_Oda_interview
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
for a gag series Poro failed to make me laugh. Probably because I understand about 10% of it. Will wait for translation before I say anything else :)
I find it funny... And yes, it's a mix of spring weapon and mob psycho.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
The fact he refuses any help/assistant even when he keep complaining about health issue makes me really hard to root for him.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Monthly will be awesome and I was thinking about it. I think Togashi may just aim for a volume/year rate..or every other year.

BTW, can someone confirm if this interview is legit or not? It was with Togashi and Oda apparenty years ago...Togashi did say the series is almost near completing after the election arc and with the way how Kurapika/Leorio are close to completing their goal I could see it happening. Anyways please confirm...got a feeling it's going to be no but worth asking lol.
Hey guys, so this is an old interview of Yoshihiro Togashi and Eiichiro Oda from October 2011 that I found on a french forum

Of course T stands for Togashi and O for Oda

T: Yes, as a writer for the jump, sometimes I feel not to be much compared to you (I guess it refers to the fact that One Piece is one of the flagship series of Shonen Jump)

O: Mr. T is too humble. When I was attending, I had always loved your work for their originality.

T: I do not like stories that follow a predefined scheme. I always try to make things more interesting, more unexpected. I pay much attention to your work too. Your story is very emotional. (? I have my doubts about the last sentence so I translated literally)

O: Haha, usually I create the character first, and then I invent a story in keeping with this character. Mr.T and you?

T: Sometimes I'm out of ideas and it tires me. I generally watch western movies, martial arts series, short series of legends and history for ideas.

O: I see. It's a good idea. Your characters are great. The drawing must ask you a lot of effort, right?

T: Just a habit to take. Maybe I'm more influenced by the old school.

O: The arc of ants is almost finished? I think the second half of the arc ant is very special, and it inspired me a lot.

T: Thank you. I just drew it that way as if, as there were lots of breaks in between. there have been some changes in my style for the ant arc. I am impressed that OP always retains the same style.

O: There are times when I would like change my style, but it's risky. I'm sure Mr. T understand.

T: Yes, the editors were concerned with the style of HxH and they were worried that readers would not appreciate, but I still continued. I want to show clearly what I have in mind.

O: So where is HxH? halfway through?

T: Hard to say. I still have five or six stories in mind. If all goes as planned, there should be at least 3 or 4 stories after the ant arc. Course of time, unexpected events occur and fuck up your plans. therefore, OP is more than half?

O: Yes, I think I'm going a little fast. When a story is half over, I'm already thinking about the following story to my readers, so the story a bit rushed.

T: That means you do not miss imagination, which is a good thing.

O: The editing is very helpful. In general, I give them the story in outline, and they are the ones that help me work out the details.

T: Shonen Jump Magazine has a lot of good manga with wide range of topics. Everything seems that they can continue much longer. The new ones look promising.

O: One Piece once worked in collaboration with Toriko. I think the manga (Toriko) closely resembles the beginning of HxH. He must have been influenced by Mr. T.

T: I think the same thing, but my world is bigger than his. It's more like OP(One Piece). Haha.

O: I see Mr. T still has a sense of humor.

http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:MrGenial11/Yoshihiro_Togashi_/_Eiichiro_Oda_interview
This is probably fake and the funny part is that it originate here, in MH.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I could have sworn read an interview from him where he mentions assitants
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
About Togashi's health (his comments from last year)

and for his art i believe he's a good artist
www.imgur.com/gallery/LJEwl
Plus YYH had great artwork from what I remembered at times. Level E looked good too. He is a great artist. I actually like his art more than any series in WSJ atm.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top