Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
If you read his post-YYH interviews it's understandable to see why he doesn't work with assistants so much.

OK, scratch what I said.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Hoping Dr.Stone can be a gritty series to fill the void of HxH while it's on hiatus
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I think We Can't Study is a pretty relaxing series to read. Just not sure if it'll survive. It's nothing amazing. Just relaxing
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
My only doubt is what will die first. This or U19... I hope Poro survive though.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I think We Can't Study is a pretty relaxing series to read. Just not sure if it'll survive. It's nothing amazing. Just relaxing
Im really liking the series considering I went into it expecting nothing. I can see how it could survive, whether it will or not is another story... It's totally appealing to Nisekoi fans though, they might be enough to keep it afloat.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I find We Can't Study to be the most unsavory serial since Sporting Salt. Save us Yusaku Shibata.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The fact he refuses any help/assistant even when he keep complaining about health issue makes me really hard to root for him.
What? He absolutely has assistants. There was a Japanese show that filmed his studio and showed off his assistants. He even commented on one of them being with him since the very beginning of HxH's serialization.
 

lolman

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2014
Messages
74
Reaction score
97
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
What? He absolutely has assistants. There was a Japanese show that filmed his studio and showed off his assistants. He even commented on one of them being with him since the very beginning of HxH's serialization.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
We Can't study chapter 3 is out : https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/3/page/1
Still not sure about my feeling toward the series...
I like it. But I'm probably biased as I can fully understand the girls with their troubles to study something they don't fully (or at all) understand yet need for their dream to happen. And I'm totally biased because Ogata likes board and card games and I KNOW how goddamn hard it is to get people to play those games with you. Ask any student to go to a party with you to shot themselves down with booze and they're in, ask for a gaming evening like with Kingsburg, Caverna, Stone Age, Rage, Shushi Go! or Munchkin and you are the one getting shot down... it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!
Also the two girls are cute and the MC's twins are superadorable, that helps too to like the series.
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
In a early volume of YuYu Hakusho, he stated that he had to lay down on the floor to draw for several weeks because of his back pain. Back problems don't usually get better with time and that was at least 24 years ago.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Even the recent breaks he was talking about his health frequently in the comments. What are you on about? I don't get why people are so skeptical about this as if he's lying to everyone and being "lazy". (which is stupid to call any mangaka that)

I'm not saying to blindly support him but he had a strong history of these health issues. It's better to assume that he's taking these hiatuses for the most part due to health reasons than to blindly accuse him of being lazy.
The problem is that isn't "even the recent breaks", but "just in recent breaks". That is the problem. You're taking his recent health problems to explain all the past 2 decades before that. And you argue like I think his recent health problems are fake. No, I never second guessed that he is right now with health problems(note that this break was also not given a reason. It was the one before this one that was because back pain and where he got a surgery to take care of it), what I'm against is not what is officially said to the public, but what you the public are stupidly assuming from this information that was given.

And to me is really impressive how can exist people that think that one person, for 2 entire decades got back pain in such a level that made him skip more than 2/3 of his job career(In fact this is actually insulting for people with serious back pain issues and have to sacrifice everyday and go to work or can't even work at all).
If that person had money problems and/or didn't had a support group(family, friends, co-workers, ...) to help him during the process, but no, here we are talking about a Millionaire, with a Wife and kids. Is wife is also a Millionaire, and her family are also Millionaires. From his friends, many are also Millionaires. About his work? He is literally a star, and has privileges that anybody would basically kill for it.

But no, he obviously was sick for 2 decades and had no way to resolve that problem. He is totally a special snowflake that during 4 years of work in such a harsh environment destroyed is entire health and now can't work consistently, like everybody does.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
If you read his post-YYH interviews it's understandable to see why he doesn't work with assistants so much.


No is not! He basically say he has a big ego and only cares about himself. And to top it off, he says that when doing a selfish thing like wanting to do everything by himself, he not only was affecting his health but also doing a worse job. So no is in no way understandable.

If a guy in my work didn't brought a Laptop, and instead a notebook, because of his ego. It wouldn't be understandable! What would be understandable would be the reason why he is fired!
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm not sure if anyone here cares but SAO 3 is green lite. Of all the disappointing anime out there, why is SAO the one that won't just go away? It's loathed by most in the community so why does it keep coming back.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
It still has its fanbase. Also with the popularity of badly written "isekai" stories it shows that there is a market for blatant wish fulfillment. Still couple years ago I wouldn't have thought that stories like SAO could exist outside of fanfiction or at least gain mainstream popularity the way it did.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
While we're on the subject of anime, can we talk about Twin Star Excorcist? It was animated by Pierrot and had a multi-cour run but just what exactly did it do for the sales? I don't recall ever seeing it top a sales chart. Actually for that matter is there a shonen jump series that received multi-cours but the effect it had on manga sales was lackluster?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
While we're on the subject of anime, can we talk about Twin Star Excorcist? It was animated by Pierrot and had a multi-cour run but just what exactly did it do for the sales? I don't recall ever seeing it top a sales chart. Actually for that matter is there a shonen jump series that received multi-cours but the effect it had on manga sales was lackluster?
Twin Star Exorcist didn't get a big boost in sales

Saiki's anime didn't help it much

Eldlive anime did nothing for it
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Twin Star Exorcist didn't get a big boost in sales

Saiki's anime didn't help it much

Eldlive anime did nothing for it
Because they all suck... The manga and their respective animation... I still can't understand what da hell Saiki is doing on JUMP... There's no way that this comedy is better than Babu, or at the level of Gintama (like some people here in my country like to say).

And that reminds me (again) that next week we'll have TAMURA back... #hype
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
Because they all suck... The manga and their respective animation... I still can't understand what da hell Saiki is doing on JUMP... There's no way that this comedy is better than Babu, or at the level of Gintama (like some people here in my country like to say).

And that reminds me (again) that next week we'll have TAMURA back... #hype
Are you seriously implying that Gintama is funnier than based Saiki? Gintama is overrated as fuck and Saiki's anime funny.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
While we're on the subject of anime, can we talk about Twin Star Excorcist? It was animated by Pierrot and had a multi-cour run but just what exactly did it do for the sales? I don't recall ever seeing it top a sales chart. Actually for that matter is there a shonen jump series that received multi-cours but the effect it had on manga sales was lackluster?
I know it may not be this the thread to speak about this series, but I´ve been telling people that its non-canon additions aren´t as bad as they think, and I read up to chapter 38 of manga, and watched some of the latest anime chapters. But they are still talking to me like I don´t understand the problem, when I have a more open mind to adaptations and I know that the most faithful ones aren´t always the best anime series. In these quotes I wrote the good things and bad things about all, if you care. And also, excuse me for the large texts. And advise me if you're going to send this to another thread, and which are you going to send it.

Ok I watched from ep. 22 to 37, and I understood what´s the problem with Pierrot´s fillers. I´m not against unfaithful adaptations of source materials, as long as they´re good. I still don´t understand why it´s SO IMPORTANT for people that any anime has to be faithful to its source material, you might as well not read the source and only watch the anime(everyone does the same with any JoJo series), but at the same time I can unsertand why people hate fillers.

That the manga is better is no discussion. But even then the manga subverts less the common shonen tropes and relies a lot on them(remember, the MCs recieve a lot of asspulls for all of their battles, oh, and Benio is supposed to be strong but constantly she is defeated, and now is useless at all). As its own product. this anime is not Tokyo Ghoul, it´s just mediocre(not bad,not great). You still can watch the good stuff in the fillers that I point out here, but then again Pierrot has done better filler episodes than this, they need a quality control in the writing front.

The case with Pierrot is that they don´t know how to write good material. Of course, sometimes they do(The Power arc of Naruto anyone?), but for the mayor part, they mess up with the canon material they´re given, when filler episodes shouldn´t in the first place. A good test for them would be making an original series, but even them you´re not sure if it´s going to be good.

Back onto this series, the first filler episodes were definetely the worst. Selling more a rom-com with ocasional action sequences rather than the mash of genres that the manga is(A mash of romance, comedy, tragedy and action of course). These ones we got right know are better, but not by much. I´m gonna sum it up like this:

The Good: -At least there´s character development, even if it´s not much.

-The rest of the Heavnly Guardians were introduced. Zeze and Sakura got the most development, but for me the highlight was Tenma. He is OP as heck even in manga form.

-chapter 38 didn´t forget the romance side of the story.

-Even as not great of a role, Sae tied in with the part that our protagonists had to learn how to breed a child

-These arcs still stick with the core mythology of the franchise

-Some manga parts are reworked for these arcs, and they fit. Yes you read that right, they fit in the franchise

The Bad:

-Pierrot doesn´t use the material for what should be epic moments. Instead you´re left with a sense of average action

-The core plot is obviously poorly planned. By now it feels like a Power Rangers overarching plot.

-The villains in the manga that are not Kegare, apart from Yuto, are one dimensional. Hijirimaru and the other guy have little to no development, and the Basaras´ plan by now is the typical "destroying the world" plot, by absorbing exorcist powers. But they were more menacing and terrifying than the original villains right now. Probably because the writers stuck with the one dimensional villain shtick, but they´re so typical.

-The emotional moments are overwritten. There´s little to no build up and the payoff is... souless to say the least.

Again, not that bad, but not great either. But is not like the source manga it´s a masterpiece either
And also, up to episode 44:

Also, last week(episode 43) they revealed the origins of the Abe no Seimei and Guardians, and when I compared it with the one mentioned in the manga, I saw they were the same, and makes sense(except for Rokuro being Cataclysm King, although that could be a possibility, but still), and I think the introduction of the Guardians was better here than in the manga, where you don´t get an idea of their characters, only their powers(except for Tenma, but that intro was also good), so that´s why I say manga fans are more of a scum crybabies when it comes to adaptations, they don´t understand what an adaptation should be(it shouldn´t always be faithful to the source material). Yeah, the anime is mediocre, but at least it has some redeemable qualities, and if you read it as a complement to the manga, it´s fine too. It´s not the trash of Tokyo Ghoul, which was bad in source to begin with. It may not all be similar to its manga counterpart, I understand it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top