Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Weird how it says 216 pages in that screenshot while it says 215 now.

Well, it's not really all that weird. It just means that they still do last minute changes.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wonder what Togashi thinks of we can't study?
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I wonder what Togashi thinks of we can't study?
Probably nothing since there's nothing in his mind besides dragon quest.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Now I know why I hate Midoriya and Bakugou seiyuus so much... They are the same from Rin from Blue Exorcist...

Midoriya seiyuu did the okumura brothers as kids and Bakugou's seiyuu is the same as the grown up Rin...

Stupidly annoying.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dont see how people are under the impression that a Dr. Stone addition implies a pass over We Never Learn.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I dont see how people are under the impression that a Dr. Stone addition implies a pass over We Never Learn.
It's not that. They are just sad because their new "love" was not serialized "first".

That's why I keep saying people overhype stuff and cries after the series performs how they should based on how good/relevant they are. But they refuse to listen haha.

People tend to confuse their own personal preferences with what is good for the majority of japanese readers
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
No one was overhyping We Never Learn. In fact, it doesn't even get much hype beyond "I like this series, the girls are cute". If anything, Dr. Stone is the overhyped series from the beginning and even now (although the hype is dying down now that its not as good as people expected/hoped)
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
My post is based on logic, if you don't understand logic, I cannot help any further.
But don't worry, as I said, VIZ doesn't make any sense at all, so all the series still have a chance.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
No one was overhyping We Never Learn. In fact, it doesn't even get much hype beyond "I like this series, the girls are cute". If anything, Dr. Stone is the overhyped series from the beginning and even now (although the hype is dying down now that its not as good as people expected/hoped)
Even I, who is known to be a romance fanatic who reads everything blindly, said that I didn't like the 2 first chapters that much, but liked the third, but that was all, no attachment so far. But it is so much hate that someone has to defend the poor thing. XD
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's not overhyping? I'm seeing people clearly upset saying specifically that We Can't Study should be serialized before Dr. Stone (or pretty much any other series).

And they are based purely, solely and only on their personal choices... =)

Also it's funny... If you guys keep talking about "the viz curse'. Why you want We Can't Study to be serialized again? Isn't just going to make it flop even faster?
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
BNHA consumed you, man.

I just don't like them dude haha. It doesn't matter if it's on MHA or Blue Exorcist.

For an instance, I Like Light's / Tsukishima's (from tokyo ghoul) seiyuu. He is the best.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Illegals got better? The first chapter was really myopic, for me.

And Viz realized, and took down that Sr. Stone page.
I don't know if it got better

it's the same, an episodic monster of the week type of thing while the big bad lurks in the shadows

the trio interactions carries the show

I'd say for a spinoff series it's pretty fun

I wonder what Togashi thinks of we can't study?
is this the manga equivalent of "what would Jesus do?" :smile-big

I dont see how people are under the impression that a Dr. Stone addition implies a pass over We Never Learn.
this

even if they add Stone, ESJ is still pretty empty after all the manga that ended, they need more than just 1 title
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I think Viz added Dr Stone just because its the most mainstream of the 6, and it likely wouldve gained a ton of votes for the first 3 chapters. Dr Stone isnt all it was made out to be, but does anyone actually think it will be cancelled early on? I think its still the safest they could have gone with (considering RxL is a sports series and all). It is weird they dont just add them in order of when they started (still pretty sure theyll add WNL) but this is Viz, they have no logic.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
It's not overhyping? I'm seeing people clearly upset saying specifically that We Can't Study should be serialized before Dr. Stone (or pretty much any other series).

And they are based purely, solely and only on their personal choices... =)

Also it's funny... If you guys keep talking about "the viz curse'. Why you want We Can't Study to be serialized again? Isn't just going to make it flop even faster?
No one is upset
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think Viz added Dr Stone just because its the most mainstream of the 6, and it likely wouldve gained a ton of votes for the first 3 chapters. Dr Stone isnt all it was made out to be, but does anyone actually think it will be cancelled early on? I think its still the safest they could have gone with (considering RxL is a sports series and all). It is weird they dont just add them in order of when they started (still pretty sure theyll add WNL) but this is Viz, they have no logic.
RxL is the safest one in terms of survival by far, it comes from an author with a very recent success and a huge success at that. People is really vocal to bring Kuroko no Basket and Haikyuu to America and I don't think they are selling badly. It is much more risky to bring those two series, it involves much more money with physical releases and all, RxL would be easy for them after this.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
RxL is the safest one in terms of survival by far, it comes from an author with a very recent success and a huge success at that. People is really vocal to bring Kuroko no Basket and Haikyuu to America and I don't think they are selling badly. It is much more risky to bring those two series, it involves much more money with physical releases and all, RxL would be easy for them after this.
I still think the whole "sports manga dont sell in the west" thing would have had an impact on their decision despite Kuroko and HQs recent success. Plus its golf which makes it even harder. There were quite a few people in here even who were almost writing the series off before it started based on that fact alone.

I still think Stone is the safest. At this stage i think its pretty safe to say it wont get cancelled for a while, even without rankings. Plus if you look at discussion forums and the like for all these new series, Stone and WNL get way more attention than any of the others. So theyre definitely more popular than RxL here in the west. RxL is the safest from Japans perspective, but I dont think that necessarily applies here.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I still think the whole "sports manga dont sell in the west" thing would have had an impact on their decision despite Kuroko and HQs recent success. Plus its golf which makes it even harder. There were quite a few people in here even who were almost writing the series off before it started based on that fact alone.

I still think Stone is the safest. At this stage i think its pretty safe to say it wont get cancelled for a while, even without rankings. Plus if you look at discussion forums and the like for all these new series, Stone and WNL get way more attention than any of the others. So theyre definitely more popular than RxL here in the west. RxL is the safest from Japans perspective, but I dont think that necessarily applies here.
I'm talking about Japan here, there is no manga in ESJ without its counterpart in Japan. Dr. Stone can be the most popular ever in the US, but if Japan doesn't like it, it will be cut off.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Excuse me, can you tell me the code to put spoilers here? I can´t find the button or code to do so.
I´ll post this as non-spoiler meanwhile. But it´s about U19. I read chapter 8. The master plan of the main villain, Shiki Yamato, is to procreate A-grade children by Marrying A-grade and above students, with others A-grade and above students. This is why they took Akari, Eiji´s girlfriend, who has the SS grade. But Shiki wants these teens, and their children to(and I´m not making this up) create smart people that can avenge the country by fighting against USA in a 3rd World War, as a revenge for what happened to Japan in World War 2.
PROOF:
http://mangafox.me/manga/u19/c008/4.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/u19/c008/14.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/u19/c008/15.html

What do you think about this... ah, umh, "plot twist"?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Excuse me, can you tell me the code to put spoilers here? I can´t find the button or code to do so.

I´ll post this as non-spoiler meanwhile. But it´s about U19. I read chapter 8. The master plan of the main villain, Shiki Yamato, is to procreate A-grade children by Marrying A-grade and above students, with others A-grade and above students. This is why they took Akari, Eiji´s girlfriend, who has the SS grade. But Shiki wants these teens, and their children to(and I´m not making this up) create smart people that can avenge the country by fighting against USA in a 3rd World War, as a revenge for what happened to Japan in World War 2.

PROOF:
http://mangafox.me/manga/u19/c008/4.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/u19/c008/14.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/u19/c008/15.html

What do you think about this... ah, umh, "plot twist"?
Yikes
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Sounds like it's trying to go for a similar kind of shock value as the other recent instantly cancelled battle shounen just with a political twist.

I want a happy fun battle shounen for a change, maybe it would actually have a chance of surviving.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top