Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
certain things in life
1-death
2-the sun will rise tomorrow
3-shonen harem manga won't have progression until the last arc

it's unavoidable, give up your smile and your hope

relevant

 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
We've had, what, one romance series in WSJ that didn't wait until the last 10 chapters to make any meaningful relationship progress (Ichigo 100%)?
 

RubyR91

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2015
Messages
126
Reaction score
25
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
We've had, what, one romance series in WSJ that didn't wait until the last 10 chapters to make any meaningful relationship progress (Ichigo 100%)?
I''s as well, I think.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
I have a question for this thread, but first I need to quote Brandon Sanderson, an us-american fantasy writer: "Not the powers of characters make them interesting; Their weaknesses & limits make the characters interesting"-
And now the actual question: Are there any characters(either protagonists, villains or sidecharacters) you don't like/enjoy, because they are too powerful?
My example for this would be Todoroki from My Hero Academia. I actually like his backstory, but not only do I think he is too powerful, I also think his powers arent that exciting to watch at. Most times just using fire & ice in not interesting ways.
Similiar case with Trafalgar Law from One Piece. His devil fruit power is just too OP(pun intended).
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Sasuke. I'm he does have a good backstory, but it feels like we're expected to like Sasuke simply because "he's cool". If he didn't have a cool character design, and didn't have cool powers like fire and lightning I don't think he'd be as beloved. He just feels bland as character besides how OP and "cool" he is.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I think Haikyuu executes its rival characters very well.

In the beginning Kageyama feels like he'll be Hinata's OP rival that he has to overcome. But as he gets more screen time he feels pretty down to earth, and despite being vastly superior to most his age he still has a long way to go.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Madara, yeah his character got trashed by a finger, yeah some of the modeling to his motives was recycled but I look at the main picture: his backstory when I first read it in the manga really strucke a cord to me, seeing how he was friends and rivals with Hashirama was nosteglic... it made me immediately like him as a villain. But the power scaling got way too wonky, with the final nail being the Ten Tails nonsense that should of been Obito's trump card. Kaguya murking him the way she did almost destroyed everything that built him up to be great, if not broke it all down

Obito or Itachi would of been great as the final villain(s)
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Grand Jump? Seinen? Not bad. I wonder how his humor will be received with an older audience. I don't know how RING (sports/comedy) did as a seinen manga (if it was a flop or not).

What did you guys think of the one shot (Chingiri)?
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
New Grand Jump? Seinen? Not bad. I wonder how his humor will be received with an older audience. I don't know how RING (sports/comedy) did as a seinen manga (if it was a flop or not).
Will be sequel of recent oneshot (but don't know if will be from Saikyo Jump oneshot or Shonen Jump oneshot)
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have a question for this thread, but first I need to quote Brandon Sanderson, an us-american fantasy writer: "Not the powers of characters make them interesting; Their weaknesses & limits make the characters interesting"-
And now the actual question: Are there any characters(either protagonists, villains or sidecharacters) you don't like/enjoy, because they are too powerful?
I dislike: both Naruto, Sasuke, and Madara (I personally hated Naruto as a series from the get go, but at least before the time skip everyone was basically on equal footing power wise post time skip well the idea that fighting/is the progenitor of all ninja was needlessly over the top), Deku and by extention All might not really a fan of characters that has the potential to one shot every antagonist with just the twitch of a finger. I have a few others but these five are the ones I have problem the most with.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have a question for this thread, but first I need to quote Brandon Sanderson, an us-american fantasy writer: "Not the powers of characters make them interesting; Their weaknesses & limits make the characters interesting"-
And now the actual question: Are there any characters(either protagonists, villains or sidecharacters) you don't like/enjoy, because they are too powerful?
My example for this would be Todoroki from My Hero Academia. I actually like his backstory, but not only do I think he is too powerful, I also think his powers arent that exciting to watch at. Most times just using fire & ice in not interesting ways.
Similiar case with Trafalgar Law from One Piece. His devil fruit power is just too OP(pun intended).
Aizen and Sasuke are the worst offenders since it feels like their respective creators made them too powerful in order to be an obstacle for the protagonist than to let it make sense, Sasuke is especially annoying since he's given these abilities through his brother Itachi and not because he earned it while Kubo just wrote himself in a corner with Aizen.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Speaking of MHA it's a good question and critique I've seen that's been brought up regarding the newest chapter:

if the anti-quirks guns aren't permanent would that make regular police guns more lethal? Obviously depending on the situation of where you are at when you get hit by them, is it really that scary to lose your quirk for a couple of hours? It's fair to wonder if Hori will implement "forever-quirk-erasing" bullets but if he doesn't will it still give the same impact if it's temporary?

Overall chapter was cool for an info dump but it something that makes you take it in perspective
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Speaking of MHA it's a good question and critique I've seen that's been brought up regarding the newest chapter:

if the anti-quirks guns aren't permanent would that make regular police guns more lethal? Obviously depending on the situation of where you are at when you get hit by them, is it really that scary to lose your quirk for a couple of hours? It's fair to wonder if Hori will implement "forever-quirk-erasing" bullets but if he doesn't will it still give the same impact if it's temporary?

Overall chapter was cool for an info dump but it something that makes you take it in perspective
The chapter stated that the current bullets were a prototype not the completed version and that Overhaul was looking into more funding to create a bullet with permanent effects since it directly damages the Plus Alpha quirk manifestation.

Not really a huge big deal since its just foreshadowing for things to come and I would like a more important character to lose their quirk just for how much impact it would have on the story.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Speaking of MHA it's a good question and critique I've seen that's been brought up regarding the newest chapter:

if the anti-quirks guns aren't permanent would that make regular police guns more lethal? Obviously depending on the situation of where you are at when you get hit by them, is it really that scary to lose your quirk for a couple of hours? It's fair to wonder if Hori will implement "forever-quirk-erasing" bullets but if he doesn't will it still give the same impact if it's temporary?

Overall chapter was cool for an info dump but it something that makes you take it in perspective
Even if only temporary it's a huge danger. A hero loosing their quirk for even a few hours is a extremely big disadvantage to them. I feel like these drugs are going to have a huge role in the series from now on though
 

raikou

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I have a question for this thread, but first I need to quote Brandon Sanderson, an us-american fantasy writer: "Not the powers of characters make them interesting; Their weaknesses & limits make the characters interesting"-
And now the actual question: Are there any characters(either protagonists, villains or sidecharacters) you don't like/enjoy, because they are too powerful?
My example for this would be Todoroki from My Hero Academia. I actually like his backstory, but not only do I think he is too powerful, I also think his powers arent that exciting to watch at. Most times just using fire & ice in not interesting ways.
Similiar case with Trafalgar Law from One Piece. His devil fruit power is just too OP(pun intended).
Yeah, that's why Horikoshi made Bakugou and Todoroki to take a seat for this arc. Law also didn't help Luffy for this arc for the same reason.
When you make a character too strong, you need to formulate a plan so the story would not be boring for having OP characters.

I prefer Bakugou than Todoroki though, Todoroki's kind of unstable, looks tame but kind of problematic, as seen from Stain arc and License arc.

Haikyuu was doing better with Kageyama, as his skill alone cannot make Karasuno win, but the whole team make Karasuno able to go to the Nationals. Skill wise, Oikawa and Shiratorizawa were much much better than him.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
RxL was superb once again. Robo is a very likeable character... I already said that he reminds me Saitama? XD
This week we had chapter 4 and I don't remember people saying that VIZ picked it up... I remember Dr. Stone and We Can't Learn, but not RxL... I was surprised... :P
 
Last edited by a moderator:

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
It was briefly mentioned here, someone said that Fujimaki's name was in the list of authors or something like that. I don't think it was officially mentioned as far as I can tell, so that's probably why you missed it. But yeah, RoboLaser has been a pleasant surprise for me, and Fujimaki is handling the "teaching golf terminology and rules" thing quite well with his little author comments and not having sidelined characters do all the explanations (cough cough KuroBas). Makes me wonder how it will be dealt with in the possible anime. Can't wait to see how it ranks, hope it does well.

Also, I don't think you yourself was getting bashed for liking romance manga, people were bashing the romance manga genre in general. Quite often in shounen romantic comedies, the romance aspect is barely developed at all until the final chapters. It's exactly like the image Mammo posted. Situation with comedic and romantic potential arises, something occurs that causes some romantic development between two characters, some other event occurs that removes all semblance of the romantic development, and then finally a return to the status quo. This often cycles many times over, becoming increasingly repetetive. Nisekoi was the biggest offender of this cycle, yet it was still so successful because everyone loves their trash tsundere waifus. It's probably your apparent love for Nisekoi that makes people bash your tastes.
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
English Shonen Jump Version of the cover
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
Making op characters can work just so as long as you can escalate the threat without breaking the setting. Bleach and arguably Naruto and Dragonball are examples where the unrestrained power escalation kinda screwed the story and supporting characters.

Deku and the rest of the class are pretty much rookies. Street Level heroes at best. High destructive Powers like Bakugou's and Todoroki's need careful handling without killing off narrative tension. Characters like superman either need to deal with world ending problems or be threatened in a way outside of direct conflict.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The thing is people here mention Nisekoi more than I do! Let it rest in peace! I think I overcame the end of the series better than you guys! hahahaha
I know that you guys miss the time when you were otters. XP
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
There are times I'm talking about a completely different matter and people talk about Nisekoi to bash me. I would suggest that people try to argument before giving up and starting personal attacks. XD
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top