Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Really hope to see the Poro author come back in a year or 2. I think his art style cool and cute. Poro may not have been very funny, despite being a comedy, but I still enjoyed what I read from it. Not enough for me to care about it getting axed, but I look forward to seeing the creator improve
I honestly think being is cute what got Poro cancelled (im presuming its cancelled, but come on...). The focus was too much on that, he really needs something else in his stories. It a magazine aimed towards boys, and while there are female readers, the boys wont want to read something cute... Toteku was wacky and good fun if a bit cliche. I hope he can eventually find success, but hell probably need another cancelled series before he gets there.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
what an unexpected pleasant surprise

the manga should be close to ending too so they could adapt the entire thing
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Still no Yuragi's cover :feelsbadman
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
oh the good news just keeps coming
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Brahs need to upload Giga already.
 

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
How was this week BHA rating? It should be 4-4.5%
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It'll be nice to finally see a second Kimetsu cover, I wonder if it'll just be Tanjirou and his sister on it or if he'll include other characters as well.

Also a bit late but personally I hope we don't get another yagi tomohiro series, he's had two chances and both of them were terrible with him learning nothing from the first ones failure.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
Okay regarding Yagi's previous works. What could've been done to improve the story? Pacing was one of the biggest issues I've had with his work. Second issue being characterization which may be related to the first issue.
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
Okay regarding Yagi's previous works. What could've been done to improve the story?
Iron Knight and Red Sprite started off with a lot of exposition from characters who got more screen time than the supposed star. Then they would just get killed off to motivate the hero before he's finally stumbling around in chapter 2.

It's bizarre how many of those pages you can just skip altogether.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Do you think is a myth that Jump only gives you 3 series to prove you can be a good mangaka for them, and if you fail the 3 series, you won't get published there anymore? I think it is, because who would lse a potential talent because of that stupid rule?

And also, which are the future volume releases for May in Jump?
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Do you think is a myth that Jump only gives you 3 series to prove you can be a good mangaka for them, and if you fail the 3 series, you won't get published there anymore? I think it is, because who would lse a potential talent because of that stupid rule?

And also, which are the future volume releases for May in Jump?
I think there is some truth to the myth that being said I think the whole having 3 series fail and not getting published there anymore would depend on how long the series ran for before they got cancelled, if they all got cancelled not to long after the first volume is released then yeah it's likely WSJ won't except future work from them.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Do you think is a myth that Jump only gives you 3 series to prove you can be a good mangaka for them, and if you fail the 3 series, you won't get published there anymore?
Obata
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
Do you think is a myth that Jump only gives you 3 series to prove you can be a good mangaka for them, and if you fail the 3 series, you won't get published there anymore? I think it is, because who would lse a potential talent because of that stupid rule?
It would be a very odd rule. It's not common for an artist to appear three times without some success (a multi-year run). I checked for duplicates in the last 25 years on the wiki and I couldn't spot anyone with three strikes in a row. Plenty of people who've failed twice though.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
One thing that makes me wonder is what their standards are for bringing cancelled creators back, most failed creators seem to have a couple years or so before their next serialisation but Ichigo 100% started less than a year after Lilim Kiss ended.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I'd imagine that artist just go to less competitive magazines, like Jump+, on their own decision after so many Jump failures. I mean, idk how payment in jump works, but I'd think that's they'd like to go somewhere they could have a decent run and have a steady pay.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Brahs need to upload Giga already.
Someone did, Giga is available on every raw site now

Do you think is a myth that Jump only gives you 3 series to prove you can be a good mangaka for them, and if you fail the 3 series, you won't get published there anymore? I think it is, because who would lse a potential talent because of that stupid rule?

And also, which are the future volume releases for May in Jump?
I think it's true

I don't think it's "we won't publish you anymore" situation and more like "we will publish you, just not in the main magazine"

May releases: http://www.shonenjump.com/j/comics/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top