Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I really don't see how Marie is any worse than Dr Stone. Both have been all over the place and done very little for themselves to be honest.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I really don't see how Marie is any worse than Dr Stone. Both have been all over the place and done very little for themselves to be honest.
I hated Dr. Stone at first and still don't really think I like it, but it at least feels like it's starting to find its footing.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Yeah I agree with Rica, have to admit the latest Stone chapter was pretty good. It's amazing what happens when you focus on Senku and introduce actually interesting characters.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I really don't see how Marie is any worse than Dr Stone. Both have been all over the place and done very little for themselves to be honest.
I had a chrono trigger vibe with that
settlement and stuff.
I still don't think it's that a great of a series but AT LEAST is the best new series of the last batch. Hands down. And I really don't care if it's get canceled in the future, but WCS need to go first. Shueisha owns me that.

Edit: Also, Iwamoto is taking his sweet damn time to come back... Wtf is he doing anyway?
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Last few chapters of Dr.Stone are great imo. Hoping Volume 1 is a success
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It is a success already... I never see a new series receive that much color pages.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Not a big fan of Dr.Stone. I'm gonna try out RxL soon.

I don't think Dr.Stone will get that much of a boost. TPN will though but nothing too huge. I wonder if TPN will reach the 350k mark before it's anime.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Robot x Laserbeam this week showed that Fujimaki is getting desperate because he brought the crazy guy who is obsessed by that other guy Robo "defeated". You know what this mean, right? He is trying to appeal to his faithful audience, if you know what I mean.
I thought Robot x Laserbeam would be outright manga for fujoishi and would make success following Kuroko no Basket, but it has been kind of shounen so far and has been plummeting.
Don't get me wrong, I like the manga, but if it continues in this course, it will lose my interest. I want to see true sports rivalry.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
There's a limit to what you can do with golf. Fujimaki should have gone with the arrow dude one shot thang. In fact, why veteran mangaka keep trying to do a damn sports manga? It's consolidated already.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There's a limit to what you can do with golf. Fujimaki should have gone with the arrow dude one shot thang. In fact, why veteran mangaka keep trying to do a damn sports manga? It's consolidated already.
Are you questioning the decisions veterans make with their obvious experience?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Are you questioning the decisions veterans make with their obvious experience?
He is rebelling against his religion. XD

Let's see how things will go on the sales, it kind of doesn't matter right now, but it is interesting anyway.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
It is a success already... I never see a new series receive that much color pages.
And we all know how that turned out with HZ ;P.

In all seriousness though, I havent read the latest Stone ch yet so can't judge it. The 2 chapters focusing on Senkuu's awakening were incredible. Its dropped off again since though. They should have spent A LOT more time developing the characters and world before jumping into a conflict in the 4th ch when no one really gives a shit yet. Somehow I don't think introducing another 40 characters is the right way to go when the mains still need so much work, but we'll see. Everytime the series gives something good, its given 5x that in bad so far, so I'm not optimistic. The series actually has the opposite problem to HM. Stone spends 0 time on development, while HM spends waaay too long and it hasn't actually gotten anywhere yet because of it. Interesting.

RxL is still iffy for me. The golf action we've had has been great, so I'm not worried about it getting boring for being golf. But it's always been over so fast, so I'm really looking forward to the proper match starting (it did this week maybe?). Not a fan of Fujimaki's "combine two old characters to get a new look" thing either. But I can see the series getting quite good once everything's been set up.

WNL is starting to get old already despite having a pretty strong start. I find myself only caring for Takemoto, and even then she's not that great a character. It needs more girls, and good ones at that. A good harem has good enough characters that even if you don't care for them, you can still enjoy their interactions.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Didn't they already say he will publish a oneshot on Grand Jump this fall? or did I imagine that?
It's not a one shot? It will be a series in Grand Jump (?). At least that's what Heiji said
Don't know if already said :
-Jump Giga will have 4 monthly issue.
-Toriko's author new gag serie will lauch this fall in Grand Jump.
Yep.

Probably just another deformed comedy.
Deformed comedy?
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
It's not a one shot? It will be a series in Grand Jump (?). At least that's what Heiji said

Deformed comedy?
The link I posted says oneshot.

Deformed means the main gag will be having an ugly protagonist.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Yuragi's top 3 makes sense in the popularity poll... but big boobed drunk girl is more popular than Oboro? Why do big boobs always win? Japanese fandom needs to appreciate the other qualities of women besides their figure, everyone needs a girl like Oboro. Look how far she would go just to have kids with someone, that takes dedication.
Yeah, wasn't sure either how Nonko was so high up since she only ever got screentime in short amounts, and only recently got another chapter focused on her again.
Overall, with the exception of her, the Top 5 is perfect. Hibari being quite far down despite getting quite a lot of screentime before is quite funny.
 
Last edited:

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Hibari sort of annoys me because of her mannerism of referring to herself in third person. It's pretty dumb since she's supposed to be, what, a high schooler? It's really only excusable if the character is a child.

RxL is still iffy for me. The golf action we've had has been great, so I'm not worried about it getting boring for being golf. But it's always been over so fast, so I'm really looking forward to the proper match starting (it did this week maybe?). Not a fan of Fujimaki's "combine two old characters to get a new look" thing either. But I can see the series getting quite good once everything's been set up.
I'm enjoying it so far as it's definitely met my expectations as a somewhat realistic golf manga, but I can see what you mean. There's also the possible problem that I can't see any way that matches would get more exciting than they are now (which isn't that exciting) without introducing some crazy shit into the mix.
Also, about the characters looking like Kuroko characters, Fujimaki's style has pretty much realistic looking characters, so he has some limitations.
—
On other note, according to MangaStream, Neverland has over 1 million copies sold. That's pretty good.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Haven't you ever read a manga where girls refers to herself in third person? It is very common because it is sounds cute. I particularly doesn't have any problems with this.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Eh, it's just childish. Juvia does it too, and while I'm fine with her character, that third person thing ruins some of the scenes that are supposed to be impactful. The blonde girl from Death Note does it too, but she's an annoying character altogether. Probably doesn't bother you since you have an apparent bias towards cute girls and romcom/harem settings and such, which is where that type of character usually appears.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Are you questioning the decisions veterans make with their obvious experience?
I most certainly am, just because they are veterans it does mean they can't do dumb stuff. Still, I see only veterans succeeding from this last batch. Am I blind?
 
Last edited:

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
You could say you're blind, but most would probably say ignorant.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top