Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Damn, this TOC really riled everyone up.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Damn, this TOC really riled everyone up.
Just the usual suspects looking to shitpost and people waiting 8 weeks just to have their opinions validated by the table of contents. Notice how nobody is actually discussing who placed within the top 5 most likely because they don't even read them.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Yeah, but it usually isn't this active after TOC release. There's usually maybe a couple of pages of new replies by the time I check but this time it was several pages. I was gonna reply to some people but I didn't want to bring up topics from like 3 pages back lol.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
No fair, I read Robot x Lasebeam and One Piece. But yeah, if you put One Piece aside, which would push the average up, the average readership among these series is very low. :derp
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
My Hero Academia get its lowest ranking in its history, probably, and we cannot comment about it?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My Hero Academia get its lowest ranking in its history, probably, and we cannot comment about it?
What's there to comment on unless you just hate the series? People are legitimately surprised that a chapter of BnHA that was 40% shorter than usual was scored so low despite the fact this arc had been placing in the top 5 since it started? No its obviously because this chapter/arc was never good and it took readers too long for them to notice! Yeah that's it!

Next week will be similar and I bet you guys will be screaming about cancellation.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
No fair, I read Robot x Lasebeam and One Piece. But yeah, if you put One Piece aside, which would push the average up, the average readership among these series is very low. :derp
I like Robot but Chapter 16 was a very weak chapter so much like Dr. Stone I'll toss it as being yet another editorial push and honestly everything about Robot has been just editorial meddling given that no sports manga outside say Tsubasa and SLAM DUNK has done this well early on even big hits like Prince of Tennis didn't get 1st place before its anime but at the same time I like it a lot more than Kuroko so far so..meh.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What's there to comment on unless you just hate the series? People are legitimately surprised that a chapter of BnHA that was 40% shorter than usual was scored so low despite the fact this arc had been placing in the top 5 since it started? No its obviously because this chapter/arc was never good and it took readers too long for them to notice! Yeah that's it!

Next week will be similar and I bet you guys will be screaming about cancellation.
I really don't follow which chapter is been ranked, but it was not that chapter that you guys said it was fine to be short? Or it was something else?
You really didn't read my posts, it seems...

Don't mistake me as an amateur. I said that it wouldn't be no surprise if it jumped back to top 5 next week. I will not say it will be canceled because it is obviously not the case. You should talk with people that said that Shokugeki no Soma should end, because these are the ones who have a risk to make dumb comments like that.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I really don't follow which chapter is been ranked, but it was not that chapter that you guys said it was fine to be short? Or it was something else?
I really didn't read my posts, it seems...
It was a twelve page flashback chapter that happened in the middle for the fight, wasn't really bad or anything just awkwardly placed and short due to Hori's health so I can see why it scored lower than most (though that unfinished chapter early in the arc was placed with the top 5)
Don't mistake me as an amateur. I said that it wouldn't be no surprise if it jumped back to top 5 next week. I will not say it will be canceled because it is obviously not the case. You should talk with people that said that Shokugeki no Soma should end, because these are the ones who have a risk to make dumb comments like that.
Oh yeah those people were idiots. Souma was never going to get cancelled especially over something as silly as TOCs versus sales numbers, yeah it doesn't do nearly as well in the rankings like it used to and readers tend to be mixed on shougeki chapters in general but shit its doing better than a lot of what's running in Jump now and they'll be foolish to cancel it now.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Yeah this ToC triggered even more comments than usual although the usual half of them being "VENERATE VETERANS" from GIA. I was behind like 7 pages. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the chapter MHA was ranked (143) this week being that this issue coming up (151) is 8 weeks from the ranking I would say it deserves it, short chapter and the fight wasn't that good. The Red Riot flashback stuff (next two chapters) was great to me, enjoyed it the most in his whole phase but it was kinda randomly placed so if there's a knock I can definitely say that.

MHA shouldn't be above criticism, if this was BC or Food Wars people would giving them a hard time. ChocoBar's point is you have a GOLF manga #1 but nobody seemingly cares about the sport of golf to comment about it lol, instead MHA is the target of controversy. Just a weird ToC to be real, let's hope this never happens again. S/o to WNL too, making something average readable gets respect from me.

Edit: wait it was the first Red Riot flashback chapter ranked? Damn I liked this and the next one. Japs didn't though
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah this ToC triggered even more comments than usual although the usual half of them being "VENERATE VETERANS" from GIA. I was behind like 7 pages. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the chapter MHA was ranked (143) this week being that this issue coming up (151) is 8 weeks from the ranking I would say it deserves it, short chapter and the fight wasn't that good. The Red Riot flashback stuff (next two chapters) was great to me, enjoyed it the most in his whole phase but it was kinda randomly placed so if there's a knock I can definitely say that.
Actually its the beginning of the flashback (144) which I found it was fine but I can see where the complaints about the length and the abruptness of it would have put off readers but honestly its more than likely because it was short.
MHA shouldn't be above criticism, if this was BC or Food Wars people would giving them a hard time. ChocoBar's point is you have a GOLF manga #1 but nobody seemingly cares about the sport of golf to comment about it lol, instead MHA is the target of controversy. Just a weird ToC to be real, let's hope this never happens again. S/o to WNL too, making something average readable gets respect from me.
Hey I like Robot a lot but its obvious not very popular here amongst the new crop compared to Dr. Stone so there's not much to gloat over it being 1#
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Thanks I edited my post. My main criticism of that chapter was it was just random as hell how it was brought up about. I didn't realize it was short till someone pointed it out. I would assume all the VA-related chapters to be top 5, all of them have been great. My biggest takeaway is the ToC a good measuring stick for an ongoing series but after that inside look from WSJ editorial department as well Oda's comment regarding the ranking system in one of his previous volumes I find editorial push as relevant as its subscribers ranking it from favorite to least favorite.
 

XtrnlArdent

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2017
Messages
96
Reaction score
28
Age
28
Country
Spain
That was a strange ToC, but I'm happy for Yuragi and WNL, especially for Yuragi, it had a trend of being low in the polls a few weeks ago, Maybe that thing Oda said about the ranking has something to do with that? For the scandal of the colour page, i don't want to seem biased, it's only an hypothesis (?)
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
TOC system will have to change one way or the other... With the move to digital the letter system won't be relevant anymore. And if they do this digitally, trolls will overspam to make their favorite series survive and the ones they hate to end. It's a dead end.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
How did you guys feel about the Greed Island arc? I ask because I just finished it. I think it was good but the Yorknew City arc was so great I feel passive on it. It was alot of info dumping due to the card system but the training parts and the dodgeball portion were exhilarating. Gon's fight was of the same. Funny thing, when I saw that Biscuit was a loli I rolled my eyes but she ended up turning out to be a pretty good character haha.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
How did you guys feel about the Greed Island arc? I ask because I just finished it. I think it was good but the Yorknew City arc was so great I feel passive on it. It was alot of info dumping due to the card system but the training parts and the dodgeball portion were exhilarating. Gon's fight was of the same. Funny thing, when I saw that Biscuit was a loli I rolled my eyes but she ended up turning out to be a pretty good character haha.
To me is the most amazing arc of all. To create a (balanced) TCG for a single arc is mind blowing.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How did you guys feel about the Greed Island arc? I ask because I just finished it. I think it was good but the Yorknew City arc was so great I feel passive on it. It was alot of info dumping due to the card system but the training parts and the dodgeball portion were exhilarating. Gon's fight was of the same. Funny thing, when I saw that Biscuit was a loli I rolled my eyes but she ended up turning out to be a pretty good character haha.
Its probably the least exciting arc in the series just for the sheer amount of info dumping you get fed throughout (this was a huge problem since both the 99 adaptation and the 2011 adaptation had to condense and omit scenes just to make it work) and how incredibly lame the villain is. It feels like another arc in which Togashi was experimenting with a new mechanic and it overtook the entire story as a result so the part outside the actual card mechanic are the most interesting while the rest are pretty boring.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
How did you guys feel about the Greed Island arc? I ask because I just finished it. I think it was good but the Yorknew City arc was so great I feel passive on it. It was alot of info dumping due to the card system but the training parts and the dodgeball portion were exhilarating. Gon's fight was of the same. Funny thing, when I saw that Biscuit was a loli I rolled my eyes but she ended up turning out to be a pretty good character haha.
Pretty good, I liked the dodgeball game and the fight with Genthru.

Just prepare yourself for the greatness that is the Chimera Ant arc. Best shonen arc I've read/watched....
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MHA shouldn't be above criticism, if this was BC or Food Wars people would giving them a hard time. ChocoBar's point is you have a GOLF manga #1 but nobody seemingly cares about the sport of golf to comment about it lol, instead MHA is the target of controversy. Just a weird ToC to be real, let's hope this never happens again. S/o to WNL too, making something average readable gets respect from me.
I particularly didn't comment about RxL top 1 position because it felt more natural to me than the things going on in the lower part, I like the series and given Kuroko no Basket success and the transfer of public between the two series, it was very natural to me, so I didn't feel the necessity to comment.
Then, let's take a look at the lower half of the TOC: Shokugeki no Soma has its ups and downs, unfortunately, so nothing new here, Haikyuu also has its ups and downs, strangely, so it didn't feel that off place, but My Hero Academia almost bottom 5? It was the first thing I saw!

TOC system will have to change one way or the other... With the move to digital the letter system won't be relevant anymore. And if they do this digitally, trolls will overspam to make their favorite series survive and the ones they hate to end. It's a dead end.
Nah, they have means to control that really well, enabling voting only for those who have subscription and only once per issue or for those who buy issues separately without subscription they can put the poll in the end of the magazine and also only once per person per issue. If all users have to login in to read the magazines, it is easy to control.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,224
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Admin Notice:
Okay guys, I know that there are a bunch of interesting topics you love to discuss. I know you love to discuss Black Clover, so why not do it HERE. I know there are great shounen manga arcs, but that has little to do with the magazine itself. Why not make a thread and discuss it HERE. I'm aware that most of you love this thread and follow it closely, but branching out of your comfort zone is a really good thing sometimes, so please try to not get too offtopic.

There are a bunch of other topics I could mention that definitely should be posted somewhere else and not here, but none of us want you to strictly stay 100% on topic all the time. It's okay to discuss other things that are somehow related to the magazine, but please try to look for better places to discuss certain topics, especially if you notice that there's quite a big interest from other members. Don't bring every single topic here when it barely has anything to do with Weekly Shounen Jump.
Things went way too out of hand, so please calm down and discuss things about the actual magazine.

And most of all, remain friendly and respectful towards each other. Don't post one-liners or one reaction pic, that's not a contributive comment. Thanks for your understanding! : )~ niichan
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Dr. Stone got a cover and next week Robot x Laserbeam will get a cover. We know who comes next, right? Not We Never Learn, I'm sure. :derp
It took 30 chapters for Nisekoi and it was more successful. Sad...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top