Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
Double Arts was canceled, period. "March Comes in Like a Lion" hardly means anything to the average Jump reader, considering that it is coming from a total newbie, the readers will just ignore and will not look for it. Since the oneshots also go to the poll, he missed a chance to present something meaningful to the readers. One Piece, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan and Robot x Laserbeam are infinitely more meaningful than Double Arts and "March Comes in Like a Lion" with all due respect.
March Comes in like a Lion is actually a million seller. I also disagree on the meaningfulness of their answers. The choices say that he likes stuff that's 'cute but mostly sad' and the second guy basically say 'I read manga.' Not that I care or anything.
Where can I read the rest of this?
http://www.anime-now.com/entry/2017/09/12/230058
It's actually really mundane.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Not a lot was surprising but I enjoyed reading it. Thanks.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Well if it was they would have ended it at act 1. It was literally the perfect place to end the series and no one would have complained if it had. Yet it still didn't, which is reason to suspect Jump have plans for it.
I saw the color page it looks good.

I gotta get caught up havent read in a while
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
look at all these new scars

how does Ushio train for matches? sleeps in a trash bag with a bunch of cats?

look at the scars under his right eyes, that's literally the marks of a feline claw
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
March Comes in like a Lion is actually a million seller. I also disagree on the meaningfulness of their answers. The choices say that he likes stuff that's 'cute but mostly sad' and the second guy basically say 'I read manga.' Not that I care or anything.
You are wrong by around 400k: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-09/japanese-comic-ranking-october-31-november-6/.108651
It sells well, but it doesn't seem it can reach 1 million that easily, so...
Kimi ni Todoke is a true million seller and it doesn't mean that Jump readers any interest towards it. By what I know of "March Comes in Like a Lion", it doesn't seem the kind of thing that would make success in Jump, am I right? Therefore, the majority of the readers doesn't think it is meaningful.
You don't seem to understand how huge Japanese market is, I talked with Japanese people about manga and you start by saying "~fairly famous manga~ is such and such" and they say "What this manga is about?". There are too much options, Jump readers probably stick with what interest them the most: Jump, Sunday, Magazine, other shounen series from other magazines that very popular like Attack on Titan. They don't really know everything and if it far from their genre of interest, they will probably not know what talking about. So, yeah, I can say with some confidence that "March Comes in Like a Lion" is not that of a big deal for the average Jump reader.
Therefore, the people that will understand that he likes "cute but mostly sad" thing will be a small percentage from Jump readers. It is easier for the readers to assess what the author is about when they know their favorite mangas, we can say by their favorites that he likes typical shounen like One Piece and My Hero Academia, but also kinda gruesome ones like Attack on Titan and he also has a thing from sports mangas. This is a fairly good assessment in a magazine like Jump. You have to have something that the reader can identify with, for example, if any of the authors say their favorite manga is Nisekoi, this is immediately catch my attention, that's normal. I think he was smart, he probably reads other things, but he chose those because they are from Jump and/or popular, he will catch the attention of the more people than the other author, for sure.
Not that I care or anything. :3c
 

raikou

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
You are judging him just because he likes popular things from Jump, for me it is the pot calling the kettle black since we are all here discussing Jump mangas and I think we discuss because we like them. His taste is not bad at all, One Piece is good, My Hero Academia is also good, Attack on Titan is successful although I don't agree about its quality. The only thing that may be out of place is Robot x Laserbeam because it would be too early to put it as favorite, but maybe he is a great fan of golf, we don't know, but RxL is also good (IMO) and is successful. If these series inspire him, he is going to good path, he can be very successful if he can follow the same path as these authors although it is easier said than done.
There is nothing wrong with his answer, his answer is more correct than the one you are praising, if you take in consideration where they are competing.
Double Arts was canceled, period. "March Comes in Like a Lion" hardly means anything to the average Jump reader, considering that it is coming from a total newbie, the readers will just ignore and will not look for it. Since the oneshots also go to the poll, he missed a chance to present something meaningful to the readers. One Piece, My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan and Robot x Laserbeam are infinitely more meaningful than Double Arts and "March Comes in Like a Lion" with all due respect.
I'm sorry, but Umino Chika is not a total newbie. She has a famous work called Honey and Clover. And you never know if average Jump reader didn't know her, since I found her work to be quite mainstream in Japan, if it wasn't it wouldn't reach that much of a sales.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm sorry, but Umino Chika is not a total newbie. She has a famous work called Honey and Clover. And you never know if average Jump reader didn't know her, since I found her work to be quite mainstream in Japan, if it wasn't it wouldn't reach that much of a sales.
What the hell she is doing in GFC then?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
What the hell she is doing in GFC then?
you called her Umino Chika (March comes in like a lion mangaka) a newbie and he corrected you

she isn't a GFC competitor

also razerxs is right, he's talking about first part of the year sales

1,090,487 March comes in like a lion

you were underestimating her and her series' popularity but you don't know her or her series?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
you called her Umino Chika (March comes in like a lion mangaka) a newbie and he corrected you

she isn't a GFC competitor

also razerxs is right, he's talking about first part of the year sales

1,090,487 March comes in like a lion

you were underestimating her and her series' popularity but you don't know her or her series?
It was obvious that I was talking about the GFC competitor that said that the series was one of his favorites. How can someone can understand otherwise when I passed the entire post talking about the favorites series of the competitors? lol The favorite series list is coming from a complete newbie. Better?

How many times it did that? Once? My point still stands though.

I heard about the series, very sporadically, but yeah.

Anyway, his misinterpretation is solved.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Anyway, enough of this topic, let's see who goes better in the competition. The "sad but cute" girl or the "pure shounen lover" guy. XD
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I think both will lose, the last GFC oneshot (Magical shonen X iirc) look the most polished out of all, my money is on that
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The scans came first than the TOC, that's new.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
One Piece Lead CP


My Hero Academia CP


Food Wars! S3 Key Visual
 

Radagast92

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2013
Messages
117
Reaction score
269
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
#42:
One Piece (Cover & Lead Color Page)

Yakusoku no Neverland
Dr. Stone
Robot X Laserbeam
Black Clover
Kochikame (Color Page, Special Chapter)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
Raven Burai (Color Page, Oneshot, GFC #3)
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Boku no Hero Academia (Color Page)
Hinomaru Zumou
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Shokugeki no Souma
Spring Weapon No.1
Haikyuu!!
Gintama
Shoodan!
Harapeko no Marie
Cross Account
Isobe Isobee Monogatari
Hunter x Hunter (Hiatus)

#43:
Shokugeki no Souma (Cover & Lead Color Page)
Chou Kasoku Ningen Leo (Color Page, Oneshot, GFC #4)
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
43号予告
巻頭カラー ソーマ
センターカラー ぼく勉・斉木・金未来杯「超加速人間レオ」
Issue 43:
Cover, Lead CP: Shokugeki no Souma

CP: Saiki Kusuo no Sainan, Boku-tachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai, Golden Future Cup Entry #4: Chou Kasoku Ningen Leo (by Matsubara Masaru)
 

XtrnlArdent

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2017
Messages
96
Reaction score
28
Age
28
Country
Spain
So if Souma gets the next cover I think that Gintama will be in the #43 one. Maybe BnHA gets another soon for the second season finale. Talking about BnHA, it's in the middle of the ToC again :/
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Talking about BnHA, it's in the middle of the ToC again :/
Well it has a colour page after all. What I'm looking at is the fact that Haikyu is in the bottom 5.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Shouldn't Black Clover get a cover soon. You know, for it's anime in 3 weeks.
 

XtrnlArdent

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2017
Messages
96
Reaction score
28
Age
28
Country
Spain
Well it has a colour page after all. What I'm looking at is the fact that Haikyu is in the bottom 5.
That's true. Haikyuu is in the nationals right now I think, maybe the readers don't like the way the things are done or the current match.

I forgot about Black Clover, it has a high chance of getting the #43 cover too.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,937
Gender
Male
Country
United States
BLack clover back in its rightful place.

Nekoma should lift hq rank.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top