Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It was a special double episode that was nothing but 43 minutes of buildup to a new transformation for Goku which showcased the best animation the series has had since this season.....for 30 seconds. In short atypical Toei hype bullshit but hey at least it was better than the One Piece one last week which was an episode filled with nothing but flashbacks and the actual fight only taking up half of the second episode filled with more flashbacks.
I wonder what the hype around that episode was about. I wouldnt even call Luffy and Sanjis dispute a fight. It was emotional for sure but man it didn't live up. Plus I heard the ratings were way down for that episode.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
Anyone who saw this week's Dragon Ball Super? they say that it's a weirdly good episode. What about you?
I watched, it was one of the best episodes of Dragon Ball Super.
After the arc Universe 6, Dragon Ball Super only improved.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
speaking of DBS, next month both DBS & Boruto volumes #4 will release in the same day

Dragon Ball Super #1 (29,995 / 30,361)
Dragon Ball Super #2 (16,687 / 151,433)
Dragon Ball Super #3 (17,280 / 236,720)


Boruto -Naruto Next Generations- #1 (19,705 / 372,314)
Boruto -Naruto Next Generations- #2 (23,069 / 290,008)
Boruto -Naruto Next Generations- #3 (16,004 / 280,159)


one started big and falling the other started small and getting big
I think DBS will overtake Boruto
Dragon Ball as a whole has been completely revitalized especially now with its new Dragon Ball department, not that it ever fell off the map to begin with. From what I see, DBS's manga style is very close to the original Dragon Ball and Toriyama is also doing the story so you can basically experience the original Dragon Ball from 30 years ago to an extent. I think it can go up as high as 400k in sales looking at the current trend. Boruto though is an understandable drop as it only begins a new story at the end of Volume 3, specifically the final chapter. Otherwise its been a straight adaptation of the movie. At least DBS strays away from the anime's plot.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dragon Ball Super is more of the same or it actually has something different? Meaning, there are fillers and the fillers are good? :derp
More of the same. Its pretty much casting on nostalgia at this point hence why they brought back Freiza and created new forms. The only reason people started caring again is because it had a really bad start so any sort of new content would have been acceptable.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I wonder what the hype around that episode was about. I wouldnt even call Luffy and Sanjis dispute a fight. It was emotional for sure but man it didn't live up. Plus I heard the ratings were way down for that episode.
Yeah it didn't do well at all which was a surprise. The DBS special should do well though since as tedious as it was it, especially with that god awful Brianne fight, it was pretty good as a spectacle.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Dragon Ball as a whole has been completely revitalized especially now with its new Dragon Ball department, not that it ever fell off the map to begin with. From what I see, DBS's manga style is very close to the original Dragon Ball and Toriyama is also doing the story so you can basically experience the original Dragon Ball from 30 years ago to an extent. I think it can go up as high as 400k in sales looking at the current trend. Boruto though is an understandable drop as it only begins a new story at the end of Volume 3, specifically the final chapter. Otherwise its been a straight adaptation of the movie. At least DBS strays away from the anime's plot.
Yeah I'm surprise how DBS exploded after the Goku Black arc and essentially brought DB to the limelight after Toei spent five years dicking around before Battle of Gods. I always thought that Boruto did well because it was the final canon story in the series and not because people were really interested in seeing the "next generation" so I'm not surprised that its performing the way it is now.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I never understood why people love Dragon Ball Super so much...nostalgia/branding aside.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I always figured it was really just nostalgia. I saw a twitter video of the fight between Goku and Jiren that I think was supposed to be "well-animated", but it was really just standard animation that should be expected from a company as big as Toei and an IP as big as Dragon Ball. Also, DBS happens to appeal to the mainstream crowd, a crowd that doesn't really care much about good animation, and pretty much just watch because it's Dragon Ball.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I always figured it was really just nostalgia. I saw a twitter video of the fight between Goku and Jiren that I think was supposed to be "well-animated", but it was really just standard animation that should be expected from a company as big as Toei and an IP as big as Dragon Ball. Also, DBS happens to appeal to the mainstream crowd, a crowd that doesn't really care much about good animation, and pretty much just watch because it's Dragon Ball.
To be fair the last few minutes of the fight was actually well animated, including the first bit fight with Brianne at the beginning of the special, because Yuya Takahashi was at helm if it looks decisively average its only because its wedged between some uninspired choreography (including reusing animation from the opening sequence). So yeah it looking average by any standard but DBS standards.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Sheesh, that was a very lowkey shitstorm that just happened. Thought Leoat was going to go GIA on us for a second lol. But yeah, pretty much with the majority. World's End is your escape for no nonsense shenanigans, only for you to see the attempts of your spineless mc get nailed by some busty chick. Yuragi is just an enjoyable series regardless of it, the tits and ass stand out the most but I would dig it for the story and character designs alone. I hope we get battles again.

I watch the dub for DBS but I've heard the hype of the episode, watched it and it was pretty good but short as hell. DBS is no question using nostalgia to hook the older fans but have been enjoying some of the Gods. The movie arc almost killed me, they stretched it out to like 12 episodes. The pacing was way out of whack.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Dragon Ball as a whole has been completely revitalized especially now with its new Dragon Ball department, not that it ever fell off the map to begin with. From what I see, DBS's manga style is very close to the original Dragon Ball and Toriyama is also doing the story so you can basically experience the original Dragon Ball from 30 years ago to an extent. I think it can go up as high as 400k in sales looking at the current trend. Boruto though is an understandable drop as it only begins a new story at the end of Volume 3, specifically the final chapter. Otherwise its been a straight adaptation of the movie. At least DBS strays away from the anime's plot.
Not really. The manga and the anime are created with Toriyama outline and character designs and because of it, both the anime and manga shares the same plot, characters and designs but how they reach to each point is slightly different. Toyotaro makes the story in the manga with Toriyama as a supervisor (since he's a mangaka and not part of anime industry) and Toei makes the anime utilizing Toriyama outlines too.
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I never understood why people love Dragon Ball Super so much...nostalgia/branding aside.
For me it's just a fun follow up to DBZ. It's not perfect, but i enjoy seeing the characters in new situations.
I wouldn't say it's just nostalgia because I think it could have been terrible and I wouldn't have enjoyed it. Like GT
But even though it's a little inconsistent it still seems to capture the spirit of how watching DB felt when I was just getting into it.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Crunchyroll giving Black Clover a 3.1 after its debut episode. Next lowest among popular shows was Boruto at 3.8. In a way it's surprising cause this genre attracts the most viewers but it seems it'll take time before the west fanbase catches on to the series.



Main complaints have been dead on to what the main complaints have been on this thread and around: Asta's voice, voice acting, and/or voice actor is dragging down the anime for people. Ancient Magus' Bride, its biggest competition, debut episode has been nothing but praise from what I've seen. Deff an interesting anime season to follow.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Not really. The manga and the anime are created with Toriyama outline and character designs and because of it, both the anime and manga shares the same plot, characters and designs but how they reach to each point is slightly different. Toyotaro makes the story in the manga with Toriyama as a supervisor (since he's a mangaka and not part of anime industry) and Toei makes the anime utilizing Toriyama outlines too.
At least that difference in execution of the plot points serves as an incentive to buy the volumes. While DBS's manga has also been almost an adaption of the anime, the art is also more bearable in the beginning compared to the huge difference seen in Boruto from Naruto Gaiden. That takes a while to get fully used to. We'll have to see if Boruto is able to increase in sales now that the volumes finally begin a completely new, original story.
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States

English cover of the new issue of Jump
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States

English cover of the new issue of Jump
Just my personal opinion on this, but I think they should've eased people into this series before they gave it the cover. Like having the MC (It's suppose to be the dog right?) by having it appear as a background character on other covers first then once people get used to seeing it then give it its own cover page just so Jump doesn't have to always have the yes this is jump plastered on the cover page.
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States

Author Comments
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Having the disclaimer on the cover is part of the joke.

Anyway after reading the chapter I can already tell English readers are going to hate it. I follow Japanese news and got most of the references and there is a couple good gags in there but honestly I just thought it was an awful chapter in general. Pretty solidly in the bottom 5 of the jump gag series first chapters I've read.

Don't know how the Japanese audience will take to it, it really depends on how much they like the art more than anything else (since I can't imagine the kids reading the magazine will care about the political jokes much).
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States

Which ones are y'all looking forward to the most? Personally I'm hoping for Golem Hearts.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Having the disclaimer on the cover is part of the joke.

Anyway after reading the chapter I can already tell English readers are going to hate it. I follow Japanese news and got most of the references and there is a couple good gags in there but honestly I just thought it was an awful chapter in general. Pretty solidly in the bottom 5 of the jump gag series first chapters I've read.

Don't know how the Japanese audience will take to it, it really depends on how much they like the art more than anything else (since I can't imagine the kids reading the magazine will care about the political jokes much).
Honestly i didn't hate it. It wasn't funny to me but it wasn't boring either. I didn't get the Japanese references but that didn't bother me at all and Viz put who they were on there so that helped out haha.

As a one time thing it's not bad but i might read a couple of more chapters after that and if nothing changes well... bye Lycopene lol.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I think Tamatoy had a certain charm to it; I enjoyed it for what it was. However, it wasn't that funny. Not because of the jokes relating to Japanese pop-culture, but because many of the gags were just playing off of how surreal it was, which isn't really my thing usually.

I did laugh quite a bit at this page admittedly though:
I also like the design of the MC.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,937
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I hope that doesnt mean Katou will be taking another month off from BLue Exorcist again. I wish it had been weekly.

--

Tomatoy poodle is just not for me and I doubt it would ever sell big anywhere, clear pass over here. Must not have been much competition when the editors were selecting the next works if something like this passed over others.

Heres hoping to FullDrive being the next Haikyuu!!
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Not hyped for a single one of these.
Poodle won't get scanlated and doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy in the first place.
Can't believe Hinata with red hair actually got a serialization. Real artistic bankruptcy right here.
Golem Hearts could be okay but the MC design just looks like Meliodas with a paint brush.

Honestly kind of doubt any of these will survive. Which is fine by me, for cushions for Shuudan.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top