Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
For the most part, the magazine really resonates with my tastes right now, I like how fresh things are. How do you guys feel about the current state of the magazine?
The same way I always feel, where is my weekly shonen jump hardcore mecha battle series, and baseball manga?! :(

Otherwise, bring back WT, keep Shuudan make FullDrive a full series, and keep BLack Clover in the top 5 and it is great, oh and give HQ a 2nd year and JUMP will be in a perfect state.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Who's to say that the effect didn't take until after volume 4 was released?
Personally, I think that three months is quite a long period for a weekly manga with how much new content it generates. I just have a hard time seeing such a delayed result. At best, it would be a very small group, like the most devoted fans of the reviewer, or those in doubt who needed some push to give it another chance.

It's all assumptions either way. Feels like we are going in circles here so maybe it's better to stop.

Assume that the majority of people who read KnY only follow it by volume instead of reading it through Jump (honestly this is what most people do regardless given the amount of people who were shocked that Sanji was going to get married as promotion for the 84th volume even though the chapter was serialized months prior in Jump)
Sorry, do you mean most people read by volumes? I don't really know how true is that and if we even can prove it either way. It probably heavily differs case by case. One Piece is an exception out of exceptions since its printings are higher than the magazines. I would assume it depends on the age of the readers the most: younger ones buy (and vote) the magazine, older ones buy the volumes.

poor performing and ranking Jump series don't last for 4 volumes unless it gets saved by the editors.
On the average, two thirds of all serialized manga in Jump doesn't make it to chapter 50. There is also the eight week delay period to consider. While we were seeing the weak ranking of volume 4 chapters, editorial already had the improved rankings of volume 5 chapters.
 

tk_rout

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2010
Messages
67
Reaction score
112
Gender
Male
Country
India
Any predictions on BC's sales? We should get them at the end of the month. It had around 700k in the half year and I haven't been keeping up with the backlog sales.
My guess around 1.7 million to 1.9 million for the year.
Going by Shoseki ranking, since anime started (Oct 2-29. i.e-4 weeks) backlog ~325K+ Vol.13~180K. ~3 weeks remaining (~200K).
1st half (Dec-May)~800K (Vol. 9,10, 11)+ June-Sept ~320 K (inc. vol. 12)+ Oct-Nov ~705K (inc. vol 13)=1825K
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sarada and mitsuki face seems off, should have used the anime charadesigner
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
this week oneshot Grim Reaper and next week oneshot Goo to Goo are being billed as something like 2 supernovas that will carry the battle genre in the next generation

*Jump VS flashbacks intensifies*
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Boku no Hero Academia Smash ended today on Jump Plus

What's interesting is all 94 chapters have been collected into volume form

except the final chapter, chapter 95 which will never get a volume since there isn't enough chapters to fill a volume + the ending message said nothing about a future volume release

it probably will be included in BnHA volume 17
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,404
Reaction score
817
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Do you know if gintama is ending?
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Do you know if gintama is ending?
They entered what I assume is the fight against the final boss like last chapter. Everything else seems to be wrapped up by now, but who knows how long it could still last for.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Didn't Oda recommend TPN?

When are we going to see the sales boost from that? :P
I remember when the first volume came out there were jokes about the series not having sold as much as expected. After the Oda+Ame Talk stuff, the boost started. I'm not saying that TPN didn't deserve it or that it's wrong to give this whole publicity (selling is the goal, right?), I just don't agree when people say it was like AssClass/BnHA, an unexpected hit. They wanted it to be a hit and they invested in it.
 

Reigen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2017
Messages
186
Reaction score
290
Age
29
Country
Morocco
So Zoro got lost on his way to Wano
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I remember when the first volume came out there were jokes about the series not having sold as much as expected. After the Oda+Ame Talk stuff, the boost started. I'm not saying that TPN didn't deserve it or that it's wrong
I don't remember when TPN was mentioned on that AME talk but it was already selling well and growing before Oda's recommendation, the first two volumes made it to the top 100 selling manga volumes in this year first half, though Osamu Akimoto (KochiKame's authour) recommended it when the second volume released.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
From Grim Reaper oneshot




you're not a real One Piece fan until you write a manga for Jump and fucking Zoro shows up in it, until then you're a poser
Is grim reaper suppose to be action or gag? Lol
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
a million pages in todays viz jump, wow. i love owari no serafu weeks. Kind of wish it and BLue exorcist had been weekly, imagine the possibilities.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Golem Hearts 2 was yawn, also I must have read a different chapter than everyone since Lemmeck doesnt exactly appear dead (no grave, people are surrounding him saying hang on) and could actually recover.

Fulldrive 3 on the other hand was pretty brilliant.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
So now that we're pretty much 99% certain Yuna is getting an anime, what's next?

The likely candidates for anime adaptations right now would be:


I don't think we should count out Hinomaru Zumo yet after what happened to Saiki, right? It could get a semi-long running adaptation from Toei or something, adapting the first part of the manga, maybe that's what they were waiting for before they went in for an anime. Ideally, if Hinomaru ever gets an anime, I'd like it to be from a better studio, but at this point, I just hope some anime comes out, it could really use some promotion. Ideal studio for me would probably be Production I.G.


Kimetsu no Yaiba
Well, this is inevitably going to get an anime, I would say they will announced it sometime next year and it will likely be out in 2019 or if they want to hurry it will be out in late 2018.
Ideal studio for this would be Bones, but who knows how busy they'll be by the time Jump want an anime for this, honestly Bones are kind of the ideal studio for everything when it comes to shounen adaptations. It's kind of hard to think of a studio that will really handle the more unique style the manga has properly. I hope they at least bother to give it to someone that will respect the character designs and won't botch them up. I would be perfectly fine with Production I.G or Wit handling the show, they'd do a good job. I think MAPPA would also handle it decently, I'm watching the new Garo anime this season and it has the heavy demon thematic elements to it, it's brutal, and MAPPA are doing a good job on that, they also did Ushio to Tora, which is pretty similar to Kimetsu, so I think they would be good.
Other studios that worked on WSJ adaptations recently are Lerche, which I don't think would be the best fit, J.C Staff are pretty good, but I also don't think they would be a good fit and Shaft could work out if they get the right people to work on it, if Shaft handled Kimetsu in a similar fashion to 3-gatsu-no-lion, I'd be totally happy with them handling things.

A studio I don't like that has big chances of getting this is Pierrot, hopefully that doesn't happen, there's also Deen that could be a risk. Probably some people would also say Madhouse are good pick, but I disagree, they're nothing but a shell of their former selves.


Yakusoku no Neverland
This one is obviously also getting an anime without a doubt, but it depends what approach they want to take. They could go the BnHA route and adapt the manga super early on, in theory a 1 cour season of the show adapting the 1st arc and the first four volumes could work out nicely. Or they'll wait for more content to be out and give it a 2 cour adaptation. Obviously, they need to give this to a very competent studio and a very competent staff, they can't half ass it, it won't have enough impact if they give it to a crappy studio.
So, we can either get an anime announcement next year or in 2019. If we get an anime announcement in 2018, then it will likely come out in either late 2018 or in 2019.

Ideal studio would be Bones, as I said above, they're the ideal studio for anything shounen related in my eyes, they'd definitely do the stunning artwork justice and I'm sure they'd get the right staff to work on it. Another good choice in my eyes is studio Wit, with a director that handles psychological series well, and I wouldn't mind AOT's director working on it for example, he would be a right fit. Production I.G could probably also work things out.
I honestly wouldn't want any other studio besides these 3 handling the anime, maybe I'd also be OK with Mappa, but only if they get an amazing director.
A lot of people would probably say Madhouse is a good pick, but I disagree like I did above with Kimetsu, Madhouse are nothing like they used to be before and they simply wouldn't do the manga justice.


I guess that's about it for now.


For Yuuna, I'd like to see studio J.C Staff and I wouldn't mind Lerche.
 
Last edited:

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So now that we're pretty much 99% certain Yuna is getting an anime, what's next?

The likely candidates for anime adaptations right now would be:


I don't think we should count out Hinomaru Zumo yet after what happened to Saiki, right? It could get a semi-long running adaptation from Toei or something, adapting the first part of the manga, maybe that's what they were waiting for before they went in for an anime. Ideally, if Hinomaru ever gets an anime, I'd like it to be from a better studio, but at this point, I just hope some anime comes out, it could really use some promotion. Ideal studio for me would probably be Production I.G.


Kimetsu no Yaiba
Well, this is inevitably going to get an anime, I would say they will announced it sometime next year and it will likely be out in 2019 or if they want to hurry it will be out in late 2018.
Ideal studio for this would be Bones, but who knows how busy they'll be by the time Jump want an anime for this, honestly Bones are kind of the ideal studio for everything when it comes to shounen adaptations. It's kind of hard to think of a studio that will really handle the more unique style the manga has properly. I hope they at least bother to give it to someone that will respect the character designs and won't botch them up. I would be perfectly fine with Production I.G or Wit handling the show, they'd do a good job. I think MAPPA would also handle it decently, I'm watching the new Garo anime this season and it has the heavy demon thematic elements to it, it's brutal, and MAPPA are doing a good job on that, they also did Ushio to Tora, which is pretty similar to Kimetsu, so I think they would be good.
Other studios that worked on WSJ adaptations recently are Lerche, which I don't think would be the best fit, J.C Staff are pretty good, but I also don't think they would be a good fit and Shaft could work out if they get the right people to work on it, if Shaft handled Kimetsu in a similar fashion to 3-gatsu-no-lion, I'd be totally happy with them handling things.

A studio I don't like that has big chances of getting this is Pierrot, hopefully that doesn't happen, there's also Deen that could be a risk. Probably some people would also say Madhouse are good pick, but I disagree, they're nothing but a shell of their former selves.


Yakusoku no Neverland
This one is obviously also getting an anime without a doubt, but it depends what approach they want to take. They could go the BnHA route and adapt the manga super early on, in theory a 1 cour season of the show adapting the 1st arc and the first four volumes could work out nicely. Or they'll wait for more content to be out and give it a 2 cour adaptation. Obviously, they need to give this to a very competent studio and a very competent staff, they can't half ass it, it won't have enough impact if they give it to a crappy studio.
So, we can either get an anime announcement next year or in 2019. If we get an anime announcement in 2018, then it will likely come out in either late 2018 or in 2019.

Ideal studio would be Bones, as I said above, they're the ideal studio for anything shounen related in my eyes, they'd definitely do the stunning artwork justice and I'm sure they'd get the right staff to work on it. Another good choice in my eyes is studio Wit, with a director that handles psychological series well, and I wouldn't mind AOT's director working on it for example, he would be a right fit. Production I.G could probably also work things out.
I honestly wouldn't want any other studio besides these 3 handling the anime, maybe I'd also be OK with Mappa, but only if they get an amazing director.
A lot of people would probably say Madhouse is a good pick, but I disagree like I did above with Kimetsu, Madhouse are nothing like they used to be before and they simply wouldn't do the manga justice.


I guess that's about it for now.


For Yuuna, I'd like to see studio J.C Staff and I wouldn't mind Lerche.
I think we will see KNY anime be announced in a few weeks, it has almost the same number of chapters of Yuuna, i think the studio will be Mappa or Wit Studio.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
So, Dragon Ball Super manga is already selling more than Neverland, didn't expect that
1 9784088812250 ONE PIECE 87 Shueisha Eiichiro Oda 2017.11.2
2 9784088812212 My Hero Accademia 16 Shueisha Kohei Horikoshi 2017.11.2
3 9784088812243 Shokugeki no Soma 27 Shueisha Yuko Tsudada 2017.11.2
4 9784088811635 Dragon Ball Ultra 4 Shueisha and Yotarou 2017.11.2
5 9784088812786 Promised Neverland 6 Shueisha Flooded Poppies 2017.11.2
6 9784088812274 BORUTO-NARUTO NEXT G 4 Shueisha Mikio Ikemoto 2017.11.2
7 9784088811505 Seraph of the end 15 Shueisha Yamamoto Yamato 2017.11.2
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
So now that we're pretty much 99% certain Yuna is getting an anime, what's next?

The likely candidates for anime adaptations right now would be:


I don't think we should count out Hinomaru Zumo yet after what happened to Saiki, right? It could get a semi-long running adaptation from Toei or something, adapting the first part of the manga, maybe that's what they were waiting for before they went in for an anime. Ideally, if Hinomaru ever gets an anime, I'd like it to be from a better studio, but at this point, I just hope some anime comes out, it could really use some promotion. Ideal studio for me would probably be Production I.G.


Kimetsu no Yaiba
Well, this is inevitably going to get an anime, I would say they will announced it sometime next year and it will likely be out in 2019 or if they want to hurry it will be out in late 2018.
Ideal studio for this would be Bones, but who knows how busy they'll be by the time Jump want an anime for this, honestly Bones are kind of the ideal studio for everything when it comes to shounen adaptations. It's kind of hard to think of a studio that will really handle the more unique style the manga has properly. I hope they at least bother to give it to someone that will respect the character designs and won't botch them up. I would be perfectly fine with Production I.G or Wit handling the show, they'd do a good job. I think MAPPA would also handle it decently, I'm watching the new Garo anime this season and it has the heavy demon thematic elements to it, it's brutal, and MAPPA are doing a good job on that, they also did Ushio to Tora, which is pretty similar to Kimetsu, so I think they would be good.
Other studios that worked on WSJ adaptations recently are Lerche, which I don't think would be the best fit, J.C Staff are pretty good, but I also don't think they would be a good fit and Shaft could work out if they get the right people to work on it, if Shaft handled Kimetsu in a similar fashion to 3-gatsu-no-lion, I'd be totally happy with them handling things.

A studio I don't like that has big chances of getting this is Pierrot, hopefully that doesn't happen, there's also Deen that could be a risk. Probably some people would also say Madhouse are good pick, but I disagree, they're nothing but a shell of their former selves.


Yakusoku no Neverland
This one is obviously also getting an anime without a doubt, but it depends what approach they want to take. They could go the BnHA route and adapt the manga super early on, in theory a 1 cour season of the show adapting the 1st arc and the first four volumes could work out nicely. Or they'll wait for more content to be out and give it a 2 cour adaptation. Obviously, they need to give this to a very competent studio and a very competent staff, they can't half ass it, it won't have enough impact if they give it to a crappy studio.
So, we can either get an anime announcement next year or in 2019. If we get an anime announcement in 2018, then it will likely come out in either late 2018 or in 2019.

Ideal studio would be Bones, as I said above, they're the ideal studio for anything shounen related in my eyes, they'd definitely do the stunning artwork justice and I'm sure they'd get the right staff to work on it. Another good choice in my eyes is studio Wit, with a director that handles psychological series well, and I wouldn't mind AOT's director working on it for example, he would be a right fit. Production I.G could probably also work things out.
I honestly wouldn't want any other studio besides these 3 handling the anime, maybe I'd also be OK with Mappa, but only if they get an amazing director.
A lot of people would probably say Madhouse is a good pick, but I disagree like I did above with Kimetsu, Madhouse are nothing like they used to be before and they simply wouldn't do the manga justice.


I guess that's about it for now.


For Yuuna, I'd like to see studio J.C Staff and I wouldn't mind Lerche.
I think the next ones might be:
Kimetsu no Yaiba -> Sunrise or MAPPA.
Yakusoku no Neverland -> Madhouse/Wit Studio/MAPPA.
I am in doubt whether Hinomaru Zumou will receive anime.

Bonus:
Spring Weapon No. 1 will be made by Toei.
LOL
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top