I clearly remembered there being CGI in Kakegurui and a few reused animation. It wasn't anything impressive though is what I truly meant.
I don't even want split cour. I need 2 cour for S1. Yeah MAPPA is better than Toei/Pierrot for sure but KnY can be better in another studio hands IMO.
Madhouse didnt have a lot to do with OPM. I don't think Bones will start off with a 2 cour. Their formula is usually 1 cour then potentially give it a 2 cour. I cant really remember a lot of titles from Bones that started with 2 cour in recent years. Maybe you're right about MHA not getting 2 cour at the start since I remember reading an article that they did start production early.
Yeah, I never implied that Kakegurui's animation was impressive or anything, but Mappa can do some amazing stuff, but lately they've been so busy all of their productions have been suffering, unfortunately.
I'm not even saying Mappa are one of the favorite picks for me, as I said above, if Shaft did it in 3-gatsu-no-lion's style, I'd be super excited about that. I'll just take anyone that has something going on over Toei/Pierrot, those 2 studios are guaranteed to make garbage and ruin everything.
Yeah, this is why I pointed out OPM was basically a miracle animation production, it really is amazing that it happened, it just happened to be under Madhouse's studio that the director gathered all the talent. Madhouse don't seem to be interested in battle shounens or WSJ properties, the last thing they did was Neuro from Jump?
The thing about Bones is, they're recently on an uprise again. They started struggling in 2012, after they did too much stuff that did not so well in 2011 and 2010 and earlier, then they slowed down their output in 2012 and they were clearly struggling. They only put out a movie in 2013, which just shows how affected they were. Then they recovered in 2014 and put out an insane amount of stuff.
Noragami was actually the first time they got an adaptation for a bigger shounen manga from Kodansha.
FMA, Soul Eater and Zetsuen no Tempest were all from Square Enix. The square Enix magazine kind of died out after Zetsuen and failed to really get any other big shounen titles, so Bones couldn't really maintain the good relationship they had with them, it shows how much the magazine is struggling if the best they could give Bones was Soul Eater not, which was a complete failure as an anime and as a manga.
Noragami was the first time they got the chance to do a battle shounen adaptation from one of the big 3 publishers, oddly enough. (Big 3 would be Shueisha, Kodansha and Shogakukan.
Noragami was pretty succesful, it boosted the manga sales more than the publisher expected and the anime did decently on home video, there were probably good merch sales as well.
I read in an interview somewhere, I think it was with Bones's CEO, he said that these big publishers ask for them to do sequels for stuff if it did well enough and possibly better than expected, but it's always hard for them to find the right opening in their schedule because they're always so busy. Noragami S1 had an original ending, clearly, they weren't planning on doing a season 2 and neither was the publishing company (Kodansha).
I think it migh've been this interview, I'm not in the mood to read through it right now.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/fe...tudio-bones-president-masahiko-minami/.104467
Then they did Kekkai Sensen, this changed everything imo. This one is in a similar scenario to Noragami, except the anime blew up, became one of the biggest hits of 2015 and it boosted the manga and it became a million seller series that year. It was the same thing that happened to Noragami, but on a much larger scale. This also had an original ending, showing that they also probably weren't planning another season, but then the production committee decided they wanted more and the sequel is only coming out now because they only had time to do it now.
Kekkai Sensen was the first battle shounen adaptation Bones got for a Shueisha manga, which also seems weird, but it's true. Kekkai Sensen changed everything, it made them the go to studio for high quality adaptations of battle shounen stuff.
They squeezed in another season of Noragami when they could. And then they got their biggest opportunity, to adapt the biggest upcoming WSJ manga from Shueisha, that's an amazing accomplishment, it sounds weird to think of it this way, but Bones were mostly underdogs and built their way up by doing original shows and adapting battle shounen manga from a smaller publisher very well.
It's funny how long it took them to get here, but things have opened up for them. Now they're going to continue doing Bnha as long as more gets funded. They also got Mob Psycho from Shogakukan, which is the third big publisher of manga in Japan. The opportunities didn't stop there. Kadokawa also wanted them to give Bungo Stray Dogs the battle shounen treatment, even if it's a seinen. Bungo Stray Dogs was successful and boosted the manga sales so it became a million seller that year and the anime did well on home video.
I feel like now the gates have opened up for them, if Shueisha give them the opportunity to adapt an upcoming manga from WSJ again, I'm sure they'll accept. Whether or not the production companies want it to be 2 cours or not really isn't in their hands. Hori said that the Bnha anime was solicited when the manga didn't even have it's fourth volume released, that's insane, of course all they could do is a 1 cour first season.
I'm personally hoping they keep on getting great battle shounen's from big publishers from here on out. Everything only started to take off in 2014.
Even if they do Kimetsu in a split season/cour format, I won't complain in the slightest, it's a small tradeoff for having the best studio out there adapting the manga.