Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
I'll say that the long hiatus doesn't really do the pacing of the story any favors. This isn't really helped by the incredibly wordy narrative of Kurapika's arc which pretty much pile drives the pacing to a screeching halt. Seriously I think at times it feels like he just dumped a encyclopedia article on the page which completely breaks the flow of the story.

Not to mention the apparent lack of focus the arc and the lack of characterization for anybody besides Kurapika makes it difficult to care what happens to anybody even if they are getting killed off chapter by chapter.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I don't see a problem with him having freedom regarding to his manga and doing whatever he pleases, it's been a good idea so far, hasn't it resulted in one of the greatest battle shounen series out there? "Needs a less cowardly editor", literally what, lmao. I don't really have any problems with the flow or whatever, I also personally don't find anything boring about current HxH, just let Togashi be Togashi and do his thing.
I love HxH and I love Togashi. But I'm not the type of fan who thinks he's perfect, sorry. Freedom is great, but sometimes even a genius needs a little guidance. The overexplanation of the current arc (distributed to a large cast of new characters), for example, prevents me from getting emotionally invested. And knowing the author, I know he's not doing it because he needs it, but simply because he wants to.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I never said he's perfect, he certainly isn't. Let's be honest here, Togashi is the definition of doing whatever you want to xD.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I'm hoping 2018 is a good year. Hopefully we can get at least 2 new series that are good that can stick around for a while.

Yuuna, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Neverland, Dr. Stone and Robot x Laserbeam will all probably continue to grow.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Anyone else gonna pick up the Kimetsu English volumes next year? I'm thinking about doing it, it'll be a great way to refresh my memory of the story.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'll say that the long hiatus doesn't really do the pacing of the story any favors. This isn't really helped by the incredibly wordy narrative of Kurapika's arc which pretty much pile drives the pacing to a screeching halt. Seriously I think at times it feels like he just dumped a encyclopedia article on the page which completely breaks the flow of the story.
This I think. If the chapters were coming out regularly than I wouldnt mind the wordy nature or slow/lengthy time on the boat, but when we get six chapters a year in the same location then it doesnt seem good.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I'm hoping 2018 is a good year. Hopefully we can get at least 2 new series that are good that can stick around for a while.

Yuuna, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Neverland, Dr. Stone and Robot x Laserbeam will all probably continue to grow.
I'd say We Never Learn is also probably going to grow next year, but otherwise, that list seems pretty accurate.
 

Reigen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2017
Messages
186
Reaction score
290
Age
29
Country
Morocco
Not to mention the apparent lack of focus the arc and the lack of characterization for anybody besides Kurapika makes it difficult to care what happens to anybody even if they are getting killed off chapter by chapter.
Having many subplots is one of the things that make this arc amazing imo, and for the few chapters we had there's been enough characterization besides for Kurapika, characters like Oito, Tserriednich, Benjamin, Zhang lei, Camilla, Babimyna, Bill, Theta...had their screen time and characterizations, and we had some glimpses about the king, most of the princes, some bodyguards and soldiers, and its been only 12 chapters since the voyage begun.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I'd say We Never Learn is also probably going to grow next year, but otherwise, that list seems pretty accurate.
Yeah, you're right I forgot about it since I don't read it. For now it's at around the 50-55k mark for volume sales I think, let's see how far it can go.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Golem Hearts 3 was not that good, Im surprised people honestly thought Lemmech would die back from the chp 1 "tease" (and it goes back to my old prediction back then for it). I dont think it will survive the plot is way too predictable and we dont even know what the big picture is. Who cares if the military is stopped...Red Sprite already did it much better.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Anyone else gonna pick up the Kimetsu English volumes next year? I'm thinking about doing it, it'll be a great way to refresh my memory of the story.
I don't know, I've mostly shifted away from buying English releases and I just straight up import things from Japan because I feel it helps the author more. I also personally don't care that much for reading manga in physical form, sure it's nice, but I mostly read in digital format. I'm glad it is getting published at least, it deserves this much from Viz.
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Anyone else gonna pick up the Kimetsu English volumes next year? I'm thinking about doing it, it'll be a great way to refresh my memory of the story.
Totally. Picking up TPN next month as well
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Anyone else gonna pick up the Kimetsu English volumes next year? I'm thinking about doing it, it'll be a great way to refresh my memory of the story.
Does it have a date yet
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
I don't know, I've mostly shifted away from buying English releases and I just straight up import things from Japan because I feel it helps the author more. I also personally don't care that much for reading manga in physical form, sure it's nice, but I mostly read in digital format. I'm glad it is getting published at least, it deserves this much from Viz.
It helps the author the same whether you import or buy here since it's $4 to buy in Japan for a regular Jump volume. Here it's $10 because obviously Viz needs to get their money and the rest goes to Japan. Importing only goes to Japan but you have to pay for shipping which goes to Japan not the author I would say. All this is probably obvious though.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Does it have a date yet
July 2018 i believe
 

costicla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
690
Reaction score
603
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Golem Hearts 3 was not that good, Im surprised people honestly thought Lemmech would die back from the chp 1 "tease" (and it goes back to my old prediction back then for it). I dont think it will survive the plot is way too predictable and we dont even know what the big picture is. Who cares if the military is stopped...Red Sprite already did it much better.
Well, they can`t all be the thrill ride, full of unexpected twists and turns that Black Clover is, can they?
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Yeah, you're right I forgot about it since I don't read it. For now it's at around the 50-55k mark for volume sales I think, let's see how far it can go.
I'm going to say it will probably have a similar trajectory as Nisekoi. I checked last night, and all 3 volumes were still in the top 500 sales, albeit on the mid-to-lower end of that spectrum.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Geez. Wish it wasn't so far away
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top