Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 26 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mawara

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Whats good about Zabuza arc? Naruto took off with the Sasuke Retrieval arc imo.
I know you're baiting, because there is no way you wouldnt enjoy this arc, because the rivalry between Naruto and Sasuke was quite emphasized in this arc, followed by the fact that we've actually got 2 real LGBT characters, who werent played as a joke.

But I don't mind this baiting, because I have an actual list ready for this:

-World building: We learn a lot about the ninja system(ranks, missions), and the world(the other countries, politics, history) and details of other ninjas villages, like the special Anbus from the mist village, who dispose the corpses of their fallen comrades.
-The training of chakra control: Training scenes are very useful, and used wisely, quite effective. We learn more about chakra, witness the improvement of Naruto & Sasuk(who were quite lost at the fight against Zabuza), while we also learn more about their characters and how their rivalry influences each other
-The villain: Zabuza, and Haku, are rooted in the history and background of their worlds, with shades of grey. Besides this, they were also not only iconic but were big threats for Team 7. And because of the revanche Zabuza got, gave him the chance to fight him Kakashi again, this time with the knowledge about the Sharingan and therefore, raise the tension, bc Kakashi secret trump card was no surprise for his enemy anymore.
-The villain (II): How the characterizations of Zabuza and Haku eventually ended, by showing how Naruto influenced them by talking and their ideals, proving him right, which helped him to grow further on.
-Moral Grey Area: Though already mentioned in the first villain segment, the fact that Zabuza wasnt a mustachio-villain but more somebody who tried to start a coup d'etat and needed the money, made him human, and therefore made the whole conflict in the arc more interesting, bc you actually understood, that both sides had dreams and goals
-Countdown(?): Though I am not sure about this anymore, I think there was a certain date, when the bridge had to be built, so there was always tension, because the decisive battle was not a question of "if" anymore, but one of "when".[If you look up, many great manga arcs, have actually something like a countdown or a certain date, when things have to happen. These things are always great to integrate in your arc]
-Impression on the world: The Naruto-bridge. Not only a nice reward for Naruto's effort, but also a good start how Naruto was able to change the people around him, and furthermore, the world.
[-little bonus segment: Having 2 real LGBT-characters, not presenting as a joke, but more like humans, with tragedies and dreams]

Overall a great arc, which was also as one of the first arcs of Naruto, therefore a fine way to make it so popular as it eventually became.

101nemesis

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
India
I still say that the Soul Society Arc is Bleach's best arc. Analyzed it a few months ago and I was surprised how well-crafted it actually was.
I would even dare say that the SS Arc, together with the Zabuza Arc from Naruto, belong to the few modern arcs in manga, which every mangaka must before they start a new shounen manga.
It is Bleach's best arc. The suspense and reveal of Aizen being the true villain was monumental. That and the hype behind Ichigo's bankai against a noble enemy whose moral choice was neither wrong (because he kept to the law of SS and did everything he could to not break it) nor right (killing his own sister even if its for the sake of law and order), Kuchiki Byakuya. I mean it's clear how big that arc was given how Ichigo's bankai reveal even got a full color chapter back then.

I still believe Kubo is very poetic and can really write amazing stuff. Buuut yeah, the last arc seemed like he lost interest halfway. The first 30-50 chapters of the arc felt amazing and it was like Kubo got his mojo back and that he thoroughly enjoyed doing it. The ranks for Bleach even went back up during that time because many did thoroughly enjoy the start of the arc. He created the right tension for the quincies and the first invasion as a whole. But man, he definitely lost interest after that or it felt like he just wanted to do everything he promised he'd reveal (in the interviews) and get it over with.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bozebeats ch1 was okay. Decent enough premise, kind of felt a bit too fast paced but I haven't read anything weekly in a while so maybe that's just me.
Also the main character spends literally almost the entire chapter without a shirt on so uh this thread should get interesting soon.

shoyoboyo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope someone picks it up. I don't want to have to wait for the Viz release.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Boozebeats looks pretty cool. Hot boi stripped wasn't that good though.
Author didn't draw his nipples so I would just wait for the volume release ~tehe.

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any links?

xAsum0x

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks really good, art from this and one shot is like night and day

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I smell potential. Waiting for the translations. I was worried the cool outfit elements from the original Oneshot were thrown away, but it looks like more experienced members have them, maybe you can only wear certain attire once you make your way up in the rankings as an exorcist/priest or whatever.

edit: art seems to be pretty good for now, it has some nice bad-ass moments to it, which is promising

Avok

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Bozebeats:

So the MC is not the same dude from the oneshot, in fact, the latter is seems to be the mentor of the main character. That's actually quite cool.

And the art is amazing.

Reigen

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
So is he the same main character from the one shot and the author just changed his design or he's a completly different person now? i just saw some few pages but that man with scars reminded me of one shot's mc.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Man, did the popular opinion on Bozebeats' survival change quickly or what lol.
It went like this.

1. Preview shot of the manga looked pretty atrocious in black and white. (which also made me assume the worst which I tend to do, but luckily things seem to be going OK so far)
2. Newer Preview shot of the manga used the same picture but in color, still looked terrible.
3. You automatically assume failure in WSJ because it's a harsh life in there, they'll eat you up alive.
4. Word spreads around from leaks after the chapter comes out, that hey, "it's pretty good".
5. This manga has a great opportunity to survive with all the unstable spots in the magazine, it will either capitalize on it or die like Full Drive and Golem Hearts.
6. After looking at the first chapter, the art looks good, my worries about the art taking a turn for the worse look stupid now and now I'm keeping an eye on the story and the pacing.
7. Our opinions don't matter in the large picture, since the Japanese will decide if it lives or not.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Bozebeats:

So the MC is not the same dude from the oneshot, in fact, the latter is seems to be the mentor of the main character. That's actually quite cool.

And the art is amazing.
I'd be fine with that. Pretty cool actually.

So is he the same main character from the one shot and the author just changed his design or he's a completly different person now? i just saw some few pages but that man with scars reminded me of one shot's mc.
I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Christ, that was fast paced. Good on them for scrapping everything from the oneshot.
Everything? Not really.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol it's cause of that preview image
It went like this.

1. Preview shot of the manga looked pretty atrocious in black and white. (which also made me assume the worst which I tend to do, but luckily things seem to be going OK so far)
2. Newer Preview shot of the manga used the same picture but in color, still looked terrible.
3. You automatically assume failure in WSJ because it's a harsh life in there, they'll eat you up alive.
4. Word spreads around from leaks after the chapter comes out, that hey, "it's pretty good".
5. This manga has a great opportunity to survive with all the unstable spots in the magazine, it will either capitalize on it or die like Full Drive and Golem Hearts.
6. After looking at the first chapter, the art looks good, my worries about the art taking a turn for the worse look stupid now and now I'm keeping an eye on the story and the pacing.
7. Our opinions don't matter in the large picture, since the Japanese will decide if it lives or not.
I get that, but as someone who's mainly been sitting on the sidelines, it's quite the spectacle :XD. We've went from Bozebeats dead-on-arrival, to the relative success of BNHA versus TPN, and now Bozebeats is amazing in almost no time flat lol. I'm not saying there's anything bad about this, especially since the series isn't my cup of tea, but I'm hoping Act-Age can get this much of a positive response next week since I'm pretty curious about it

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I get that, but as someone who's mainly been sitting on the sidelines, it's quite the spectacle :XD. We've went from Bozebeats dead-on-arrival, to the relative success of BNHA versus TPN, and now Bozebeats is amazing in almost no time flat lol. I'm not saying there's anything bad about this, especially since the series isn't my cup of tea, but I'm hoping Act-Age can get this much of a positive response next week since I'm pretty curious about it
Hold it right there, B̶N̶H̶A̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶T̶P̶N̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶ i̶s̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶b̶l̶o̶w̶n̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶,̶ ̶l̶o̶l̶.̶ ̶Also people have been saying it's good, not amazing from what I can see and people are excited about the art and that's mostly all the can work off of for now. Plus only the raws are out, the real discussion will start up when the translation comes out.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Never mind, I misunderstood. Scrap the TPN and Bnha part, let's forget about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.