Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 347 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I guess the Viz version with just half of the characters is the only way to see some outfits in a decent way, because this is one mess of a cover.

MangAniMY

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Maybe, just maybe some of the mangaka might share a better view of their work on twitter, I'll even take an uncoloured version

Tarot

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Luffy cosplaying as Deku legit looks like someone copy pasted his head on Deku's shoulder lol.

Polisi25

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
With all the characters flooding the cover Tanjirou (posing as Yuuna) is easily the most striking for me even if he's not in the front seat of the covers.

By the way, for Shonen Jump, what is the one specific year where an estimate of about 90% of the seralized manga in this magazine are commercially successful (I asked this question for WSM since the more knowledgable fans say that 2018 has the strongest lineup for that magazine in terms of commercially successfully work)?

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I guess the Viz version with just half of the characters is the only way to see some outfits in a decent way, because this is one mess of a cover.
I guess Viz is either going to have to rep series they don't have in their magazine or cut Deku, Robo and Emma since Haikyuu, Lycopene and Kimetsu aren't in their magazine.

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
That Osamu as Gon. Nice.
Yeah I'm happy to see Ashihara return even if it's just for the cover.

Also, that Luffy as BozeBeats™ mc is really cool. Really cements it as the next Naruto.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
With all the characters flooding the cover Tanjirou (posing as Yuuna) is easily the most striking for me even if he's not in the front seat of the covers.

By the way, for Shonen Jump, what is the one specific year where an estimate of about 90% of the seralized manga in this magazine are commercially successful (I asked this question for WSM since the more knowledgable fans say that 2018 has the strongest lineup for that magazine in terms of commercially successfully work)?
There's been quite a few times I guess. Quick look back shows 2008 and 2011 were pretty solid, with not many series that didn't become big. Same could be said with early 2016. This ToC I found from 2002 is crazy solid though, with only three slots for unsuccessful series (the other two hadn't ranked yet, and one of them - Pretty Face - still managed to last a year and even get licensed in English). Practically everything in the lineup made the 20 volume mark. Mr Fullswing, Rookies & Takeshi are the only others that didn't get an anime, but they were big successes in their own right. HxH was also running fairly consistently at the time. Obviously there's the Golden Era too.

Volume 30 (8-7-2002)
1. Yu-Gi-Oh!
2. Prince of Tennis
3. Hikaru no Go
4. Kochikame
5. One Piece
6. Mr. Fullswing
7. Ichigo 100%
8. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
9. Whistle!
10. Seikimatsu Leader den Takeshi!
11. Shaman King
12. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
13. Bleach
14. Shonen Espa Nejime
Rookies (Absent in ranked issue)
15. Black Cat

Cover & Lead Colour Page: Naruto
Absent: HunterxHunter and Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar

Last edited:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
It'll be interesting to see if Jujutsu will fall like Act-Age has. I didn't think it was that strong, but it looks like it's not in the insta-axe zone just yet.

I really want to see those special chapters. Interesting that Act-Age is also getting a special chapter, so I'm hoping that means there's still a bit of life left in the series. Maybe it could stick around for a little while like Samon or Spring Weapon if its first volume sales are decent.

Mawara

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The Idea about a manga which is about the MCs of all the failed mangas battling for the Number 1 MC spot does sound fun. Especially if like each MC tries it their own way, one via sport, the other via comedy, the other via battle shounen, the other with romance and so on. And then ofc the many heroines who battle for the Number 1 Heroine spot as well using all their assets and skills to be the one and only heroine at the best MC's side. Could end up with a MC of one failed manga with the heroine of another failed manga who normally would never have crossed paths if not for this manga about failed mangas. Ofc the story could end with some MCs accepting that they will never be MCs and that it is okay to be "normal", a "side-character", "support character" or even just a "background character" as long as they have their friends, girlfriend and ofc the thing they love to do be it soccer, cooking, table tennis, etc and etc. While some MCs and Heroines might become Villains because they notice they have no chance to become Nr 1 MC so they try to become Nr 1 Villain just to have to battle all the other villains from the other failed mangas.

Would such an idea be allowed? For a mangaka to reuse the characters of other mangaka's mangas?
The Re:Creator-Approach:
Just create new "main characters" who are more or less inspired by popular genres/manga and let them compete who is the most shonen-protagonist, meaning that a smart guy may lose bc it may look too un-shonen to have an actual smart guy as your hero.
Or in the competition of who is the Nr.1 heroine the strongest, most badass lady(like Zero in your avatar) actually loses, bc female main characters are mostly seeing being saved, less being ass kicking ladies. Just to make fun of well-known clichès and tropes of shonen manga.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Re:Creator-Approach:
This would be amazing, still my favorite LN series and wish that same would happen in a manga. Like each individual part was as great as the sum of the parts.

Bakuman was the closest thing ever.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
This would be amazing, still my favorite LN series and wish that same would happen in a manga. Like each individual part was as great as the sum of the parts.

Bakuman was the closest thing ever.
You know that wasn't a LN right?

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You know that wasn't a LN right?
Yes, i liked the in universe LN vogelchevalier and aso the action manga Underground dark night, wish they were real :( :( :(

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
That doesn't even make sense. Thats like saying Reversi or Otter 11 is your favorite manga.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I feel like Viz probably should include Haikyuu on the covers at this point, sure it's not in the main magazine but they have multiple chapters a week on their free site. They do have the series even if it's not up to date (they'll catch up eventually though and perhaps we'll see it join the main lineup then).

Polisi25

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
There's been quite a few times I guess. Quick look back shows 2008 and 2011 were pretty solid, with not many series that didn't become big. Same could be said with early 2016. This ToC I found from 2002 is crazy solid though, with only three slots for unsuccessful series (the other two hadn't ranked yet, and one of them - Pretty Face - still managed to last a year and even get licensed in English). Practically everything in the lineup made the 20 volume mark. Mr Fullswing, Rookies & Takeshi are the only others that didn't get an anime, but they were big successes in their own right. HxH was also running fairly consistently at the time. Obviously there's the Golden Era too.

Volume 30 (8-7-2002)
1. Yu-Gi-Oh!
2. Prince of Tennis
3. Hikaru no Go
4. Kochikame
5. One Piece
6. Mr. Fullswing
7. Ichigo 100%
8. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
9. Whistle!
10. Seikimatsu Leader den Takeshi!
11. Shaman King
12. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
13. Bleach
14. Shonen Espa Nejime
Rookies (Absent in ranked issue)
15. Black Cat

Cover & Lead Colour Page: Naruto
Absent: HunterxHunter and Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar
Great answer, the only mangas that I have no clue about in the lineup is the Espa and the Pyu.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Nejime was a quick flop but Jaguar was a very successful gag series that was around for I think a full decade.

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Fuck Reversi CPC became monthly because of that edgy garbage.
Perfect Crime Party, PCP
I know that once it goes monthly people stop Editing it, but at least it is still ongoing unlike reversi, Last I check they are almost at the end of their middle school saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.