Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankichi Togawa

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Country
Spain
Source: Bleach fan Twitter pressuming of Bleach being more alive than Naruto:

Top 20 des meilleures ventes de mangas numériques sur Apple Books Japan en 2018:
01. Kingdom
02. Attack on Titan
03. My Hero Academia
04. One Piece
05. Hunter x Hunter

06. Moi, quand je me réincarne en Slime
07. Seven Deadly Sins
08. Tokyo Ghoul:re
09. Golden Kamuy
10. Bleach
11. The Fable
12. The Promised Neverland
13. Days
14. Space Brothers
15. Haikyû!!
16. One Punch-Man
17. Yowamushi Pedal
18. Black Clover
19. Food Wars

20. Giant Killing

Mankichi Togawa

Country
Spain
Dunno if this could give any hint about Jump Force, but ey. Had to put it in spoilers because all the thread is shown in the post.

Also:

Asta looks like a gnome lol

Jovan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Country
Serbia
Not suprising since his manga ended almost 4 months ago. And again, how did Kimi wo Shinryakuseyo! land at Shonen Jump?
I stand by it: Kimi Wo, Alice to Taiyou, Tanaka Seiji (I liked it but it was an obvious DOA manga), and Momiji no Kisetsu batch was probably one of the worst WSJ had ever in my opinion. They wanted different things, sure. But the fact they willingly accepted ALL these and thought they would work at all is beyond me.

tirakai

Country
United Kingdom
They were two different batches, Invade You/Momiji were one batch then we got then a few weeks gap before Tanaka Seiji/Alice & Taiyou (a smaller gap than usual but still a gap).

That makes me wonder what the longest chain of total flops in a row would actually be, the gap between Jujutsu and I guess I'm From Japan is certainly a good bit of time with nothing but I remember after MHA there's was no even slightly-successful series (as in surviving at least up to ch 40 or so) for a good 9 months or something.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I think Medaka Box to Nisekoi is the biggest gap between proper hits (in modern times at least) but there were some semi-successes in-between that just didn't match to keep the popularity going (Hokenshitsu no Shinigami, Enigma, Magico, and maybe Harisugawa which I think might've ended early on its own terms?) so it wasn't all instant flops.

I suppose those years had a particularly strong lineup of new stuff just starting in 2008-09 though, so the large number of recent successes probably wasn't great for the new stuff. I wonder if any would've did better if 08-09 wasn't as prolific.

Jovan

Country
Serbia
Thanks for the explanation here. 2018 batch as overall is really a ''missed potential'' year for them. I always felt ZIGA, Noah's Notes and Bozebeats could have worked well enough if just a little bit better (Noah), or given more time (ZIGA and Bozebeats). They died...for nothing really.

Despite the obvious flaws ZIGA had (for one, being a generic kaiju manga), I remember it had a really effective Chapter 1 and I liked some twists it went in untranslated chapters later. Loved Noah's too at the beginning but it became butchered quickly (not to mention another useless female MC in a male led WSJ series).

Jovan

Country
Serbia
Oh, just saw Ryuhei Tamura is back with a one-shot. Curious if Rappa Rendan will catch on and be serialized or just follow the steps of Tiger-ani to Dragon and never return.
Rappa Rendan is a pianist musical manga, not sure if it would do well on WSJ if fully serialized.

Savi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Country
Israel
Noticed Amazon uploaded new NA covers, might have missed if someone posted after my last post about it November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)