Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJBlitzkrieg

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
129
Reaction score
74
Country
Venezuela
Kimetsu stronk. Guess current arc will end on next issue with color page
There are still 5 chapters left to fill a volume, the battle will probably end but we still need to see the aftermath so the arc isn't over yet most likely
 
Last edited:

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
ワンピはいつもどおり休載
Look like no One Piece in #08.
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Tocs guy said Bozebeats 1st chapter was good. It had been a long time since he had thought of that as a new series.
I wish he would post the chapter lol
 

puppeto4

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2007
Messages
82
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
There are still 5 chapters left to fill a volume, the battle will probably end but we still need to see the aftermatch so the arc isn't over yet most likely
It might be 2 more chapter for the arc, 2 chapters for breather and last chapter for opening of new arc
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Kimetsu stronk. Guess current arc will end on next issue with color page
It's been saying that for months now lol.

Really hope this Kimetsu arc ends soon though. Been dragging on for far too long. Same with Yuuna and its teasing of developments.
Also hoping either Bozebeats or Act-Age are good.
 

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
Tocs guy said Bozebeats 1st chapter was good. It had been a long time since he had thought of that as a new series.
So, Bozebeats can be something interesting?
We'll know when the chapter comes out.
I do not have much expectation and I may be surprised.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
#07 (15/01)
Bozebeats (Cover, new serie & color)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
One Piece
Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan (Color)
Black Clover
Dr. Stone
The Promised Neverland
My Hero Academia
We Never Learn
Hinomaru Sumo (Color)
Food Wars
Gintama
Haikyu! - Les As du Volley
Yuragi-so no Yuna-san
Robot x Laserbeam
Cross Account (End)
Spring Weapon No 1
Fulldrive (23 pages)
Golem Hearts
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene
Look who's still trapped under Spring Ax Weapon No. 1 lol. One of both of these must be leaving in the near future. Full Drive looks like it's possibly getting Shudan treatment by getting 23 pages despite flopping in the TOC. Did they ever announce when the first volume of Full Drive is coming out?
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Look who's still trapped under Spring Ax Weapon No. 1 lol. One of both of these must be leaving in the near future. Full Drive looks like it's possibly getting Shudan treatment by getting 23 pages despite flopping in the TOC. Did they ever announce when the first volume of Full Drive is coming out?
Next month on the 2nd.
http://www.shonenjump.com/j/comics/
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Idk if Gotouge threw that shocking event from the recent chapter to make up for this arc dragging on for so long. Like someone said, this could end up being an asspull and I fear it may.

Tanjirou getting up and moving still bothers me and it happens again in this chapter.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when a series just throws a shocking event and it drives itself into a corner where it could only get out via asspull. Only a few series comes to mind that can do this without making it look like some sort of asspull, example would be Toriko.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bozebeats having strong positive sentiment further cements it as a future pillar of jump.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
No female in Bozebeats,please, if it want to be a sucess, its needs more cute shota boys.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't care how good it is. Ever since Golem Hearts bombed, I promised myself I wouldn't read new series until I KNOW their first rankings are good.

I'm just tired of getting attached to series that instantly fail.
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
What do you guys think of Robot Lazerbeam? For me, it's like the most boring series Jump has put out in a long time..
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What do you guys think of Robot Lazerbeam? For me, it's like the most boring series Jump has put out in a long time..
I disagree. It's not my favorite, but I am enjoying it pretty well. Good art, characters, and it somehow manages to make golf interesting for me. But really, that's because it adds pseudo-superpowers into it to make it more interesting. Pretty much every sports series has to do that. Hinomaru Zumou is great, but that's also because the sumo in it is like a thousand times cooler than real life sumo.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Seems Promised Neverland is slipping. The previous plot direction has not been idea. Time to move to the next arc fast.
It's still in the top 5, lol.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
The next Boruto chapter also comes next issue according to its note at the end of its last one, so this marks the first time it hasn't had a color page for a chapter.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Robot x Laserbeam is pretty bad and boring imo. You can't really like any characters in the beginning since that bold move made by Fujimaki. His friend is unlikable.

---
Slightly off topic but you can renew your viz 2018 sub for 15$ (20$ - SJDVDBR16 this code for another 5$ off). Cheers
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
The only thing the new and old generation of Jump's audience agrees on is that they still like the underdog mc, evident from Deku and Asta being received well enough. But it's like we're moving away from the edgy stuff in the totality of it. Korra, Aang, Zuko even were all great cause they all had traumatic instances in their lives that impacted them the rest of the series. It highkey makes you want to see an edgy or chaotic archetype mc succeed in this era. Doubtful cause it wouldn't be fluffy enough.
Underdogs are always loved in modern pop culture, and this will probably stay for quite some time.
I'm neither an expert on WSJ, nor do I have an "aunt" working there, but maybe the heads of WSJ want to distance themselves from the rather dark look, it got many years ago, and more towards family-friendly manga. At least, I recall times when certain anime and manga were in public discussions in Japan, because of rather dark subjects and themes. Also, if you go more family-friendly you're targeting a bigger audience, and no one would say no to more money, right?

Though, to be honest I always welcome change(that's why I've also enjoyed the latest Star Wars movie). The idea that Fist of the North Star and the early JoJo Parts were in the same magazine as cerain other manga nowadays, is quite amusing, I must admit. But change can also bring new things, and also can be quite refreshing. Just by being dark doesnt mean that it's good.

Though, nothing against the mangaka in Jump, but I think that the Avatar-writers put more thought in writing their characters, because they did something, which I've learned is very important for many stories and characters: Their characters past are defined by their decisions. Decisions are very useful and important devices for a writer(like for anything).
Nothing against MHA or BC(maybe a little bit against BC), but Asta and Deku were underdogs bc they were born like this, their circumstances were outside of their control. Which is not bad per se, but just something I've learned could still be better.

It's been confirmed that she's a she for sure. I wish I kept the confirmation source for it.

Edit: I think it was confirmed in a French volume of the manga or in a French manga magazine.
Ohmy, that's always nice to hear that there's a woman working on a shonen manga. Though I've could seen this coming, because her characterizations of certain individuals reminded me of a fantasy book I've read quite some time ago. Though it would be sexist to say, that we women write all our characters the same, I could feel by reading both of those stories, that the writer knew that women are also, well, humans.

I don't care how good it is. Ever since Golem Hearts bombed, I promised myself I wouldn't read new series until I KNOW their first rankings are good.

I'm just tired of getting attached to series that instantly fail.
Ah, how boring.
I mean, yeah, I'm still broken that GH will be cancelled soon enough, but reading something and taking it apart is something I enjoy, though maybe because I am also a writer myself, but still. To analyze new manga is fun.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ah, how boring.
I mean, yeah, I'm still broken that GH will be cancelled soon enough, but reading something and taking it apart is something I enjoy, though maybe because I am also a writer myself, but still. To analyze new manga is fun.
If you approach it completely academically, then sure, you can get away with that.

That's not how I operate, though. I'm trying to... "feel" something. Ever since Toriko and Bleach ended, I've desperately tried to fill in that void they left behind. It's not completely filled yet, but I'm getting there.

Every time a new series I like fails, I get more and more indifferent towards manga in general. There was a point when I very nearly gave up on anime and manga entirely. Luckily, BC and Neverland saved me from that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top