Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,719
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Otoko Ippiki, Ring ni Kakero, Harenchi Gakuen, Mazinger, Kochikame, Kinnikuman (though doesnt really count). I find I’ve heard of most of the bigger series until the 80s, but pre that is largely unknown. Unless you go out of your way to research them.
Yes, it's a pity Shueisha usually starts counting for merchandising in Kochikame, then Kinnikuman (sometimes Cobra), and then we go to Captain Tsubasa, Hokuto, etc. I think is one of biggest reasons 60s and 70s titles are unknown (despite this, Play Ball for example still gets love by japanese fans)
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In terms of writing, I like the concept more than the development. In terms of art, I like the compositions and details, but Kurumada is very limited when it comes to body expression. The characters look like marble statues all the time. And the fights don't have choreographies, they are made using only one pose: fighter A punching, fighter B falling in the background. So, if I have to choose, I choose the anime.
Arent they supposed to lool like marble statues? Their reflections of greek antiquity, the portmanteau of humanity and beauty.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Arent they supposed to lool like marble statues? Their reflections of greek antiquity, the portmanteau of humanity and beauty.
The characters of Fuma no Kojiro, B't X and Ring ni Kakero are also reflections of greek antiquity?
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
The character design can take some getting used to for some but calling Kuramada a bad artist is as insane as calling Oda or Togashi bad artists.
But they are. HxH still is great so you get used to it.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,551
Reaction score
15,719
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
For me, my Kurumada favorite character is Kenzaki Jun (Ring ni Kakero). For me he has more personality than all Saint Seiya cast, and I like Saint Seiya a lot.

PD: Reminder the most OP national team in Ring no Kakero was Greece team.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But they are. HxH still is great so you get used to it.
Togashi isnt really a good artist. His stuff (finalized art) sometimes looks like chicken scratch and his designs often look amateur at best. Like no one ever shows what they believe is a greatly drawn page spread of togashi and worst even his normal everyday panels never genetate buzz on the artfront.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
That scene of Shiryu punching and breaking his own shield unintentionally is one of the stupidest of all time. That scene in which Shaka uses the Arayashiki is one of the most beautiful (and probably inspired the classic "The Heart").
 

Belkac3m

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
185
Age
32
Country
Joker
Hi newcomer!

Might I suggest you read BLack Clover and Bozebeats, theyre great...

Also, since I must know, what are youre top 3 jump manga since 2008.

Thanks for posting, I look forward to your timely response. ^_^.
Thank you for the recommendations :) , I didn't like the first chapters of BC, so I do not think I will continue to read it. For Bozebeats I liked the first chapters, we'll see what jump will decide about it.

My 3 top jump manga since 2008 must be Bakuman, Haikyuu and maybe TPN
 

Belkac3m

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
185
Age
32
Country
Joker
My problem with Monri is he always draws battle oneshots with beautiful action scenes but there's little to no story in it (style over substance aka Takamasa Moue 2.0)

he tried to develop some of his characters in his Giga mini series which made it his best work so far, but even then the story was fine at best

this time he's trying to do a gag manga for the first time, an RPG parody that relies on reaction faces to get the laughs

I know there are people that love this type of stuff so it's a personal preference thing, but I think he choose the laziest premise and teamed it up with the laziest type of comedy

in short, I didn't like it and he still haven't sold me on his capabilities as a mangaka
I want to see him with another scenarist, it would be a mess to lose his talent, especially with moe artists these days.

I mean every time he thinks of a story, he thinks of battle scenes, then the story that could lead him to this scene, but with experience he can learn to write a real story.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Arent they supposed to lool like marble statues? Their reflections of greek antiquity, the portmanteau of humanity and beauty.
How is it even possible to casually use the word portmanteau in the same sentence as getting their/they're mixed up?
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Not than any of these guys are bad artists to begin with. But “good artist” doesnt just mean “clean art”. Panelling and composition are incredibly important as well, and even if you deny Oda and Togashi of having “clean art” persay (which you’d be crazy to think anyway), you’d be insane to say they aren’t up there with the best in the other aspects.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Do you really think this looks better than other artists?

To me this looks average at best.
Nobody is really saying he is better or others are better. Just clarifying that Togashi is definitely NOT a bad artist in any aspect at all. If you give him the time, he'd create the most visually pleasing character possible. But he focuses a lot more on paneling, composition and layout than the detail of his art.
It's like saying Kubo is a bad artist because he doesn't draw backgrounds.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Agree bigly with Togashi's paneling. I'm not an art major, connoisseur of manga art, deviantart enthusiast or any of that stuff. I go off the eye test and just don't see it. I went like this: 2011 anime > manga > reread specific parts to see any differences between anime/manga. Ant arc had his best work from what I've seen, everything else ranges from cool to mediocre. It's easy to pick and choose panels, I just bought vol34 and didn't realize this the first time:

 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oda needs better character design skills. His character designs seem to keep being recycled, all the female characters are one of three shapes, just with different outfits pasted on top of them. Also, why do their torsos sometimes look like Popsicle sticks or pencils. Nami and others of her type can often look pretty weird.

Also Oda isnt a good artist, his panels are usually too full of stuff that it is distracting. I feel sorry for his assistants having to handle all of that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top