Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Yaiba will probably air on Tokyo MX between 11:30 and 1 AM on Saturday night. Aside from noitminA and other such blocks that's where pretty much all Aniplex stuff goes. This season is Franxx, Persona 5, GGO in that order.
 

Sheep1

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2018
Messages
81
Reaction score
28
Age
32
Country
United Kingdom
Has there ever been a case where an artist's manga was adapted into an anime but the drawing style for the anime was completely different from the manga's. If there has been a situation similar to that, has there been a time when the artist then changed his drawing style to follow the anime's style?. To my knowledge, I don't think it's happened in any shonen jump manga's but I might be wrong.Has there ever been a case where an artist's manga was adapted into an anime but the drawing style for the anime was completely different from the manga's. If there has been a situation similar to that, has there been a time when the artist then changed his drawing style to follow the anime's style?. To my knowledge, I don't think it's happened in any shonen jump manga's but I might be wrong.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Has there ever been a case where an artist's manga was adapted into an anime but the drawing style for the anime was completely different from the manga's. If there has been a situation similar to that, has there been a time when the artist then changed his drawing style to follow the anime's style?. To my knowledge, I don't think it's happened in any shonen jump manga's but I might be wrong.Has there ever been a case where an artist's manga was adapted into an anime but the drawing style for the anime was completely different from the manga's. If there has been a situation similar to that, has there been a time when the artist then changed his drawing style to follow the anime's style?. To my knowledge, I don't think it's happened in any shonen jump manga's but I might be wrong.
Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter x Hunter (1999), Ninku, and Saint Seiya.
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Has there ever been a case where an artist's manga was adapted into an anime but the drawing style for the anime was completely different from the manga's. If there has been a situation similar to that, has there been a time when the artist then changed his drawing style to follow the anime's style?. To my knowledge, I don't think it's happened in any shonen jump manga's but I might be wrong.Has there ever been a case where an artist's manga was adapted into an anime but the drawing style for the anime was completely different from the manga's. If there has been a situation similar to that, has there been a time when the artist then changed his drawing style to follow the anime's style?. To my knowledge, I don't think it's happened in any shonen jump manga's but I might be wrong.
YuYu Hakusho
Both adaptations of HxH
Saint Seiya
Dragonball (Saiyan arc onward)
Jojo
Rurouni Kenshin (The OVAs)
Haikyuu

Kimetsu will also make the list since the anime, much like YYH and HxH, cleaned up Gotogue's designs.
 
Last edited:

Tarot

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
420
Reaction score
535
Country
Italy
Has there ever been a case where an artist's manga was adapted into an anime but the drawing style for the anime was completely different from the manga's. If there has been a situation similar to that, has there been a time when the artist then changed his drawing style to follow the anime's style?. To my knowledge, I don't think it's happened in any shonen jump manga's but I might be wrong.Has there ever been a case where an artist's manga was adapted into an anime but the drawing style for the anime was completely different from the manga's. If there has been a situation similar to that, has there been a time when the artist then changed his drawing style to follow the anime's style?. To my knowledge, I don't think it's happened in any shonen jump manga's but I might be wrong.
Best example is Bleach and Naruto. Both later tried imitating the character designer of the show.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Best example is Bleach and Naruto. Both later tried imitating the character designer of the show.
Furudate also gave up her own style to attempt mimicking the anime.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
YuYu Hakusho
Both adaptations of HxH
Saint Seiya
Dragonball (Saiyan arc onward)
Jojo
Rurouni Kenshin (The OVAs)

Kimetsu will also make the list since the anime, much like YYH and HxH, cleaned up Gotogue's designs.
What's interesting about HxH 2011 is that the anime does follow the manga's art style, but with how it currently looked in the Chairman Election arc that was running when the anime began.

Honestly, early HxH was pretty ugly, especially with the character designs so it's obvious why both adaptations changed it up.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Best example is Bleach and Naruto. Both later tried imitating the character designer of the show.
There wasn't that much difference between the manga designs and the anime designs when they both started. Kishimoto I know started following Nishio's designs at the mid point of Part 2.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Has there ever been a case where an artist's manga was adapted into an anime but the drawing style for the anime was completely different from the manga's. If there has been a situation similar to that, has there been a time when the artist then changed his drawing style to follow the anime's style?. To my knowledge, I don't think it's happened in any shonen jump manga's but I might be wrong.
This happens all the time, its not just limited to Jump. Generally most series with rough styles like Kimetsu get done completely differently in anime form. Mob Psycho is probably one of the more recent examples where the anime tried to remain faithful to the manga’s rough art, though you could argue they also changed it drastically at the same time. In cases where it’s changed, I don’t really think the artist is capable of matching the anime’s style, hence why their own is rough in the first place. But I have read in interviews on quite a few occasions where mangaka have stated they liked how the anime handled certain things, and altered their drawing style to more match that. They generally weren’t authors with rough styles to begin with though.

Just taking a quick look through some of the stuff Im currently reading for a few examples, both Haikyuu and Attack of Titan have rather drastic changes in art style between manga and anime.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What's interesting about HxH 2011 is that the anime does follow the manga's art style, but with how it currently looked in the Chairman Election arc that was running when the anime began.
Togashi's artsyle fluctuates heavily and the 2011 series found a pretty perfect balance all things considered. The 1999 designs are completely different and don't share the sane cartoony aesthetic but I do look the grounded feel of it. It mught have rubbed off on him though given the current arc has much cleaner character designs than his previous arcs and Chrollo looks completely different from the last time we saw him.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
This happens all the time, its not just limited to Jump. Generally most series with rough styles like Kimetsu get done completely differently in anime form. Mob Psycho is probably one of the more recent examples where the anime tried to remain faithful to the manga’s rough art, though you could argue they also changed it drastically at the same time. In cases where it’s changed, I don’t really think the artist is capable of matching the anime’s style, hence why their own is rough in the first place. But I have read in interviews on quite a few occasions where mangaka have stated they liked how the anime handled certain things, and altered their drawing style to more match that. They generally weren’t authors with rough styles to begin with though.
Mob definitely feels they were trying to remain as faithful as possible because they could have easily cleaned up the designs to make them more presentable but they stuck with the style and it gave the anime a unique look
Just taking a quick look through some of the stuff Im currently reading for a few examples, both Haikyuu and Attack of Titan have rather drastic changes in art style between manga and anime.
Those two have the biggest changes from manga to anime but in a good way unlike Jitsu wa Watashi wa which got it so wrong it killed the manga.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's worth mentioning the first key visual isn't necessarily the artstyle we'll get, My Monster Secret's anime had a very generic looking artstyle for it's first visual but they changed it later to look more like the manga.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Yeah, the actual designs might look different than the key visual.
It looks good, but I hope Tanjiro's head is more oval shaped. Right now it is too round.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Yaiba will probably air on Tokyo MX between 11:30 and 1 AM on Saturday night. Aside from noitminA and other such blocks that's where pretty much all Aniplex stuff goes. This season is Franxx, Persona 5, GGO in that order.
Is there a date
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Reborn get stage play.
Tsuna Sawada : Ryôhei Takenaka
Reborn : Niko
Cute Tsuna.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Is there a date
I do believe it is much too soon for there to be a date. The season its airing hasnt been posted at all, so there cant possible be an air date.

Fall shows and even many summer shows have yet to have their air dates revealed even.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Yuragi-sô no Yûna-san anime :
Koyuzu : Anzu Haruno
Oboro : Mikako Komatsu
Woohoo the dragon god arc will be animated \o/
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Woohoo the dragon god arc will be animated \o/
Bleh, with the quality of the animation we've seen so far I was hoping that would wait till a season 2... They'll ruin any action focused arcs.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Furudate is a woman? Oh-ow, forget it, let's not get into that again. XD

Anyway, I remember when I was a child and I saw Inu Yasha's anime, I found it strange because Ranma followed a different design. But the most drastic change I've seen so far was with Aku no Hana (for obvious reasons).
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,721
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I've heard Kimetsu author is also a woman
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top