Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
who to say that ~le dessert ~ will definitely be included in the final volume.

It is not impossible since they can just make it a thick final volume, or if the GIGA chapters are short. (or normal)


just a few things we already know.

vol. 35 is up to ch.308, the final chapter was ch. 315.

add a few bonuses and that could be a Volume by itself,

yes, they say vol.36 will be the final Shokugeki no Souma volume, but a le dessert can just be a Volume by itself.

I'm leaning on it being a thick final volume 36 though.
i feel if the chapters were going to be THAT much longer than they wouldnt have ended it it official with this chapter or in jump like this
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What do you guys think of Arata Primal? It looks like it's one of the most popular series on mangaplus but it doesn't seem to get a lot of attention (then again, I only really look for manga discussion here and reddit, so maybe that's on me). I recently caught up with it, and it's pretty great so far. I'm a huge fan of survival series and this one is a great new one to follow.
I still need to read it. It's on my favorite lists on mangaplus.

The show is still in the top 30 on Crunchyroll despite nothing new airing in over a year. I'll try and find it later but someone translated an interview with Kadokawa that Shield Hero was basically greenlit by Crunchyroll so I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened here.
It wasn't Crunchyroll that greenlit it. Kadokawa is the company with more funding on the anime, with Crunchyroll coming later on. This was more of a case of their partnership where Crunchyroll could chose some series from Kadokawa and their producer chose Shield Hero.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
It wasn't Crunchyroll that greenlit it. Kadokawa is the company with more funding on the anime, with Crunchyroll coming later on. This was more of a case of their partnership where Crunchyroll could chose some series from Kadokawa and their producer chose Shield Hero.
ah ok thanks for the correction
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Next week's issue preview says a new Haikyu!! Anime Visual will be released
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
SPY X FAMILY is the best new Jump series since The Promised Neverland and it isn’t even in the main magazine
And only 7 chapters too, easily the best 2019 manga for me
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
With the first volume of Samurai 8 done.
It’s not as bad as people who dislike the series claim.
But not as good as it’s praisers claim.

I think it simultaneously gets shitted on, and gets overrated because of it being from Kishimoto.

It has a pretty uneventful start, but hopefully it gets much much better as it moves forward.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And only 7 chapters too, easily the best 2019 manga for me
It’s my best new manga from 2017-2019.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
SPY X FAMILY is the best new Jump series since The Promised Neverland and it isn’t even in the main magazine
well the paper magazine only has so much space and it started outside of a serialization period, so i dont know what point you're trying to make.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
With the first volume of Samurai 8 done.
It’s not as bad as people who dislike the series claim.
But not as good as it’s praisers claim.

I think it simultaneously gets shitted on, and gets overrated because of it being from Kishimoto.

It has a pretty uneventful start, but hopefully it gets much much better as it moves forward.
It's because of Kishimoto that people are so critical/defensive of it. They put a ton of hype behind the series, and for that reason we have ardent and vocal defenders who treat it as amazing purely because they think it's supposed to be amazing, and people who criticize the series because it failed their expectations. The majority are completely uncaring...which is kind of indicative of manners on its own.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
well the paper magazine only has so much space and it started outside of a serialization period, so i dont know what point you're trying to make.
I think their point is the main magazine has mostly been publishing mediocre series that get axed within 3 volumes while the digital "magazine" gets one of the best series in years. Spy x Family probably wouldn't work in WSJ anyway. Its biweekly and 22-28ish pages per chapter so it doesn't seem likely the author could do 18 weekly.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
It's because of Kishimoto that people are so critical/defensive of it. They put a ton of hype behind the series, and for that reason we have ardent and vocal defenders who treat it as amazing purely because they think it's supposed to be amazing, and people who criticize the series because it failed their expectations. The majority are completely uncaring...which is kind of indicative of manners on its own.
I think having high expectations is understandable. Naruto played an important role in my teenage years, so I was amped to see what Kishimoto does next.

It’s didnt meet my expectations, but it’s really rare for someone to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

I think the manga will almost definitely live long enough to receive an anime. But if it does happen to meet the axe, I really hope people don’t start laughing at Kishimoto for having a failure following up from Naruto. Some of the world’s most respected creators have multiple flops under their belts.

Also hope people who have strong negative feelings towards the series don’t start pointing fngers and laughing at people who wanted to succeed.

I think it’s a solid enough manga. But at the same time would be completely forgettable without Kishimoto being attached. Everything surrounding the reactions to the series feels completely weird though tbh
 

Tarot

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
420
Reaction score
535
Country
Italy
Not saying that it's bad but Spy x Family would be much better if it didn't take itself seriously during certain moments. In fact, I'd prefer if they reduced the amount of focus on the overarching plot.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I think having high expectations is understandable. Naruto played an important role in my teenage years, so I was amped to see what Kishimoto does next.

It’s didnt meet my expectations, but it’s really rare for someone to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

I think the manga will almost definitely live long enough to receive an anime. But if it does happen to meet the axe, I really hope people don’t start laughing at Kishimoto for having a failure following up from Naruto. Some of the world’s most respected creators have multiple flops under their belts.

Also hope people who have strong negative feelings towards the series don’t start pointing fngers and laughing at people who wanted to succeed.

I think it’s a solid enough manga. But at the same time would be completely forgettable without Kishimoto being attached. Everything surrounding the reactions to the series feels completely weird though tbh
Well...yeah. Perhaps the most damning thing about Samurai 8 is that, if Kishi's name weren't attached, it's unlikely anyone would care about it.

Not saying that it's bad but Spy x Family would be much better if it didn't take itself seriously during certain moments. In fact, I'd prefer if they reduced the amount of focus on the overarching plot.
Hard disagree. The overarching plot is what incentives continued reading.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Not saying that it's bad but Spy x Family would be much better if it didn't take itself seriously during certain moments. In fact, I'd prefer if they reduced the amount of focus on the overarching plot.
I’m curious as to whether this current plot is just the plot to an arc that’ll last a few volumes, or if it’ll be the plot for the entire series.

I feel like the whole ordeal with the school is just going to be the first arc, then after they beat the villains related to this arc, something will happen where Twilight’s organization will say “the fake family worked so well we want you to remain with them for another mission”.
And then it’ll keep moving forward with that
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I will definitely say that I believe the criticism towards Samurai 8’a art is way too harsh.

I think it mainly falls apart when the artist tries to make large shots with a lot of scenery, because of his lack of screen tones and shading. I think his clarity in action scenes could use improvement, but it’s not the worst.

But he’s definitely a good artist. Today’s chapter had pretty consistent art and it looked pretty good overall.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Meh. Jigokuraku & Blue flag are better series than SPY x Family.
I think it’s all just preference. For me I prefer something that’s cute, but also incorporates action.

I haven’t read Blue Flag, but I would say Jigokuraku is also significantly better than most of Jump’s recent new series in the main magazine
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top