Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
If saiyuki was simply released in the 2000's/ early 2010. It would easily survived as one of the greatest modern jump series. It shows how much the audience in jump has changed rather than manga itself, idk what's on the minds of Japanese people now but they should really put a bit more effort in Reading.

let's see how the next Shooters manga will break out in jump, I hope both of them survive. It's just cool having 2 gun mc's published on the same time, they really can make great collabs
You don't know if Saiyuki would survive in the past. Maybe it would be the same flop it is now.


I really dislike this line: "they should really put a bit more effort in Reading. ".

No, they shouldn't. Japanese people read what they want and put the effort they want (after all, they buy it). If the manga is not enjoyable for them, it is "fault" of the manga (not the readers).
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Let's leave saiyuki aside, the manga has already been canceled.

Let's talk about the new manga of jump. What do you think about them having the same theme apparently. Sort of trying to follow the success of spy x Family or even going the way of spotless love or Code: breaker ?
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I’d love a School Rumble type of romcom in WSJ. A huge cast filled with lovable characters and they equally share focus.
School Rumble was some real fun shit, man. I laughed so much at that I had tummyache. Harmia with his overreactions and his whole "I AM A MAN OF MANS!" behavior was one of the best things I've ever read. That and how "Alive" their class&school felt because you had so many distinctive characters in there who some had really engaging chapters about themselves. <3
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Let's leave saiyuki aside, the manga has already been canceled.

Let's talk about the new manga of jump. What do you think about them having the same theme apparently. Sort of trying to follow the success of spy x Family or even going the way of spotless love or Code: breaker ?
It will probably never happen, but I want an actual Slice of Life/Romance that isn't a comedy (something like Koe no Katachi or Blue Flag).
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
It will probably never happen, but I want an actual Slice of Life/Romance that isn't a comedy (something like Koe no Katachi or Blue Flag).
The closest thing we have to jumping is act-age.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Double taisei looked as though it would go a more dramatic path but eventually introduced powers, and set it aside.
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'd love a horror/supernatural manga in Jump like Shiki or even Kiben Gakuha (Furuadate's previous work) or Gakkou no Kaidan. I know this style fits better and can be more developed in Seinen magazines, but something with horror in a school scenario would be amazing for me. Even some battle action with "halloween" theme like Soul Eater.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Gunjou no Batolo was a fun read
I was joking about it being similar to Vinland Saga, surprised it's actually about vikings, however this is very shonenish

the art and the writing atmosphere is similar to Kimetsu no Yaiba, I'm willing to bet the author is one of crocodile-sensei assistants
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
I'd love a horror/supernatural manga in Jump like Shiki or even Kiben Gakuha (Furuadate's previous work) or Gakkou no Kaidan. I know this style fits better and can be more developed in Seinen magazines, but something with horror in a school scenario would be amazing for me. Even some battle action with "halloween" theme like Soul Eater.
Furudate doing a nekketsu like Soul Eater would be fun.
But it would depend how much left have Haikyuu.
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
- More series where the setting is either a place outside of Japan, or based on a none-Japanese culture. It’s a Japanese magazine, so obviously I expect most of the series to be in Japan. But I like when we’d get JoJo stories set America, and places you don’t usually see manga set in like Italy. Or Fullmetal Alchemist where it’s clearly a fictional version of Europe.
But most of the foreign places/culture we get from anime/manga series are from America/Europe and/or have a huge inspiration from that...Literally majority of JJBA is placed in a western setting. I know Europe is huge but I would rather much get a series placed in Korea or some other non-western country than some European country at this point.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
But most of the foreign places/culture we get from anime/manga series are from America/Europe and/or have a huge inspiration from that...Literally majority of JJBA is placed in a western setting. I know Europe is huge but I would rather much get a series placed in Korea or some other non-western country than some European country at this point.
I was just giving America and Europe as examples, since, like you said, most manga that take place outside of Japan are based in America or Europe. I’m just saying I’d like to see stories set in more countries in general
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
School Rumble was some real fun shit, man. I laughed so much at that I had tummyache. Harmia with his overreactions and his whole "I AM A MAN OF MANS!" behavior was one of the best things I've ever read. That and how "Alive" their class&school felt because you had so many distinctive characters in there who some had really engaging chapters about themselves. <3
I think it’s the only romcom I’ve read where the entire classroom of the protagonist is relevant to a degree. Everyone had their own troubles / friend circles / love interests just like how a normal school setting should be. And it was hilarious to boot. Bring back the delinquent main characters Nak!
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Remember the movie Real Steel?

That. I want that as a Jump manga.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I was just giving America and Europe as examples, since, like you said, most manga that take place outside of Japan are based in America or Europe. I’m just saying I’d like to see stories set in more countries in general
Funny thing, I just got off watching the Yu-Gi-Oh: Dark side of Dimensions movie, and with this discussion, made me realize that series is the only shonen series' that's dabbled in Egyptian mythology. If a newbie comes around, I'm hoping they try this again, but more faithful to the original mythology.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
It was focused on infodumping using characters from Saiyuuki. The demon fighting bit was minor.

Also we need a good journey manga, the other battle shounen running right now besides OP are all mission based rather than having a long term journey, it'd actually stand out a good deal more if something went on a proper adventure for a change. I feel like it's been a while since we even got a flop adventure series.
Drstone is more of a journey, so that's that
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

It will probably never happen, but I want an actual Slice of Life/Romance that isn't a comedy (something like Koe no Katachi or Blue Flag).
The new romance action manga in the coming issue may be ur interest, it looks edgy so ~
--- Double Post Merged, ---

After all these realistic sport manga. We have no other option but to have another superpower sport manga.
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Do we have an image preview of the new series? If anyone posted it here sorry I didn't see it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top