Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I was certain it would be TPN, but now I think We Never Learn is a close call. Will go with WNL for that one.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Everyone, this poll will be a bit different than previous polls. The volunteer suggested that I allow everyone three votes instead of it being a single vote. Just vote in the order you think they will end in, first vote being the quickest to end, the subsequent votes being the next likely.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
The first ones, obviously, but the rest of the ones above it? Nada.
Covers and LCP have only been associated quite recently in Jump history. It wasn't uncommon in the early 2000s and prior for one series to get the Cover and another the LCP, hence why something on the cover can be so low in the TOC. We almost never see that nowadays apart from holiday covers though.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Re: New Poll

From what I've been hearing, it'll be a close call between Neverland and We Never Learn, but I think We Never Learn may end first. It seems as if we already have a rough idea of exactly when it'll end, based on the recent volume covers. Though I don't think neither will make it past the first half of 2020, or event he first quarter.

I feel like Kimetsu may go on a bit longer due to its newfound success, and as for Yuuna? That manga can honestly extend itself for as long as it wants to with filler ecchi chapters. I don't think Yuuna's over until it actually ends, harem, single girl, or none at all.

Still, it is surprising that 4 of the more recent series are already nearing their end. MHA and Black Clover will both predate and otulive them.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Heh, thought it was just one in the poll and voted for The Promised Neverland. My second choice would be "We Never Learn". I don't read the other two.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I'd probably say Neverland, the WNL, then Kimetsu. Yuuna is a total wildcard though. There've been at least 3 times over the last year where what was happening in the arcs felt like definitive conclusive developments, but Yuuna luckily survived to tell another ecchi tale each week lol
 

TJQ15

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
190
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
United States
when did db rerelease in FC come? Cause shueisha themselves put out a 240 mil number for db in 2014
They released the Z part between 2013-2014ish
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
That doesn't add up? Unless I'm doing something wrong.

One piece 454,000,000/93 = 4,838,706

DB 250,000,000/42 = 5,952,380

SD 170,000,000/31 = 5,483,870
Because those are print numbers, not how many copies are sold

Highest First Print for the 3

One Piece (Vol 67) - 4.05m copies
Slam Dunk (Vol 21-23) 2.5m copies
Dragon Ball (Vol 35) - 2.2m copies
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Neverland -> WNL -> Kimetsu. Yuuna is kinda impossible to ascertain at this point, it could end at literally any time since the set-up is all there for a finale arc, but the question is when we'll actually get to it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Covers and LCP have only been associated quite recently in Jump history. It wasn't uncommon in the early 2000s and prior for one series to get the Cover and another the LCP, hence why something on the cover can be so low in the TOC. We almost never see that nowadays apart from holiday covers though.
I wonder if that's because the culture and myths surrounding the TOC and covers became so omnipresent that it influenced later EIC's in how they operated. To paraphrase Nisio Isin, the lie tried so hard that it became a greater truth than the truth itself.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah, to me it's WNL as well ending first. I find it very difficult to it not ending in the first half of next year.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
If the assumption regarding the Volume covers for WNL prove true (which it very likely is), then we can pinpoint the exact day the series ends. January 7 2020.

The question is if TPN ends before it or no.
 

RingoRoadOnceMore

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 20, 2019
Messages
33
Reaction score
105
Age
32
Country
United States
I don't read WNL or Yuuna, but I'm expecting TPN to end before Kimetsu. Although the latter has like maybe 4 fights left (as far as I know) in this "final arc," each fight has been taking quite a while to finish. TPN, on the other hand, feels it's rushing towards the finish line at breakneck speed to me.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Observation I just had, modern Jump villains seems largely to be either "Forces of Pure Chaos" (Shigaraki, Muzan) or "My Justice RIght Way" (Patri, Getou) in terms of character build. Classical evil overlord types seem to have largely faded from the perspective.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,600
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Chapter 4 of Yozakura-san was pretty good, i liked Taiyo already showing the results of training instead of wasting chapters showing it detailed. At this point i think is safe to say if the manga doesnt get a good reception from the start the problem are the readers, the manga is really good.

And Mitama had the best chapter so far, it was quite funny specially when he started to cook the light spirit ball and made fried rice from it kkkkk and the spirit talking in french after he eat. I can see kids and teenagers loving chapters like this.
 
Last edited:

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
One Piece had a nice chapter this week marking the end of act 2 for the Wano Country Arc. I'm guessing act 3 will be the final arc with the major battle and all. Looking at past arc Oda will go two routes with this:
- The Dressrosa route, making the rest of the arc last around 50 chapters, honestly I don't really see that happening
- Do like the previous arc with Big Mom and end the arc in around 25-30 chapters.

Samurai 8 was interesting too, I love the jokes with Hachimaru spending all the money they have on golden fabric.

If I had to give a top 3 for me this week it'd be:
1 - Chainsawman
2 - Haikyuu (even though the chapter was really infuriating)
3 -Dr Stone

With Yozakura closely following at 4th

MHA, Jujutsu, KNY, WNL, Yuuna are series I read in volumes only so not including those.
 

TJQ15

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
190
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
United States
One Piece had a nice chapter this week marking the end of act 2 for the Wano Country Arc. I'm guessing act 3 will be the final arc with the major battle and all. Looking at past arc Oda will go two routes with this:
- The Dressrosa route, making the rest of the arc last around 50 chapters, honestly I don't really see that happening
- Do like the previous arc with Big Mom and end the arc in around 25-30 chapters.

Samurai 8 was interesting too, I love the jokes with Hachimaru spending all the money they have on golden fabric.

If I had to give a top 3 for me this week it'd be:
1 - Chainsawman
2 - Haikyuu (even though the chapter was really infuriating)
3 -Dr Stone

With Yozakura closely following at 4th

MHA, Jujutsu, KNY, WNL, Yuuna are series I read in volumes only so not including those.
The way Tekking101 talks about it, the Wano Arc as a whole is supposed to mirror a Kabuki play which has 5 acts. But the last 2 acts are supposed to be relatively quicker than the first 3, but I’m not well versed in the subject so I could be messing up something here or there.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It seems like what I have been saying for years is happening with Yuragi, something that people here defended against so wholeheartedly: it is ecchi for the ecchi without much coherent story since nobody has no clue when it is going to end, like almost every ecchi manga I've read in my entire life.
I hope Miura Tadahiro finishes it already and start something better, his art deserves it.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
The way Tekking101 talks about it, the Wano Arc as a whole is supposed to mirror a Kabuki play which has 5 acts. But the last 2 acts are supposed to be relatively quicker than the first 3, but I’m not well versed in the subject so I could be messing up something here or there.
Yeah that seems to fit with the description but it also means that if true then the third and fourth act will most like have the same number of chapters and the first two followed by a short 5 act, the arc could then stretch to be as long as the Dressrosa arc.
I’ve really been enjoying the Wano Arc so I probably won’t really mind if the arc ends up going that long and doesn’t feel like it drags on like Dressrosa did

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top