Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1240 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. Chainsaw Man
2. Act-age
3. Dr. Stone

Honestly, everything after that fluctuates to much for me to say, but that is my solid top 3 that I can't see changing until one of them ends.

mangaman93

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
MHA and WNL are the ones which i have not read. I watched the anime and I hope to catchup one day. So, I will rank the rest.

Top Tier:
JJK ~ As a HxH fan. This is something which makes the hiatus bearable. Imo, one of the best in the magazine without being too whacky like CSM. It has matured really well over its course.
Act Age ~ I feel in love with the series after the galaxy railroad arc and it has been consistent ever since. It is really well written with amazing portrayal of character dynamics.
CSM ~ This would have been an absolute GOAT if it was slightly less whacky. But who knows, maybe that wont make chainsawman what it is today. Absolutely great character driven plot. My only qualm is I lose track of what is happening really often, and the villans are boring.
Dr Stone ~ To me this is the opposite of CSM. Very little experimentation imo, but extremely consistent for quite sometime now.

Mid Tier:
One Piece ~ I am really sad that onepiece became midtier to me. I was a massive fan. But, sadly i really feel it is falling short gradually after timeskip. Drawing is too cluttered, frames rarely innovate, and there is always too many characters at once that I dont care for anyone.
UxU ~ I really hope this becomes big. My fav among the newbies. I was really skeptical at first, but stellar world building and magic system and good action sequences made it my fav. With good antagonists it is going to top tier soon.
Magu-Chan ~ Wholesome and Funny!
Yokuzura ~ Apart from a few good moments, it has been decently funny. But, I do hope it gets some long good arcs and fills the shoes of gintama into a story which can switch from action to comedy in a moment’s notice.
Black Clover ~ I really didn’t expect this to continue after the previous big arc. It has always been meh since I hate the characters, but still it is consistent enough for me to not lose interest completely

Low Tier:
A Gravity ~ Somedays, I laugh too much. Somedays i dont even know what i am reading.
TPGW ~ Very interesting premise. But bad protagonist. It is hard to like it, unless the people in the story evolve for the better.
Mashle ~ I dont hate it as much as i did at first, the mangaka is clearly good with apt art. But it is one of those things, which i always feel is not utilizing the premise enough. all the jokes are predictable and not creative enough imo.
me and roboco ~ Pretty funny, but not a big fan yet,
HBC&Dolphin ~ Sometimes it is so whacky and unpredictable that I love it. Even character interactions are great. Waiting to see where it goes.
Ayakashi Triangle ~ Fairly generic. No opinion for now.
mori king ~ Used to be hilarious but I feel the mangaka ran out of stuff to do.
Mitama ~ Used to be hilarious. But i feel it lost its charm

Zero Tier:
Bone Collection ~ I just trudge through it every week.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Series in no particular order which I enjoy reading a lot:
CSM
UU
AA
JjK

Series in no particular order which I enjoy reading:
Dr.Stone
Mashle
Moriking
AT
Magu-chan
AB

Series in no particular order which I enjoy reading a bit:
OP
Mitama
HBC&Dolphin
Me and Roboco

Series in no particular order which I don't enjoy reading:
Bone Collection
TPG
Yozakura

Series in no particular order which I don't read:
BC

westabyss

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Just really quick

One Piece Tier
One Piece - Haven't read it in months but its in my Top 3 favorite Manga of all time. I just prefer to read it in chunks instead of weekly.

Great Tier
CSM - Didn't really like the last arc but it bounced back like nothing and even exceeded everything it has done for me. Its been a while since i've been actually waiting weekly for a new chapter.
JJK - Great weekly entertainment. Battle Shonen at its best.

Good Tier
Act Age - It has fallen a bit in my rankings but it can recover anytime.

Rising Star Tier
UU - I enjoy it so far but i don't really have any strong opinion on it.
Magu-Chan

I just skim through it every week to see if something interesting is happening-Tier
Ghostwriter
Moriking
Roboco
The dolphin Manga

Ah yeah, i also like to read Dr. Stone and MHA in volumes. Both in good tier but im not caught up.

Teennitro

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Dunno if having been posted, all the Summer extra pages:

My favorite one:
I like the undead unluck extra page it's Andy, Fuuko, and Tatiana going scuba diving and mha is really funny izuku fighting a Orca meanwhile his friends is having fun on the beach

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Honto (August 7th)

02. Haikyuu!! #44
03. Jujutsu Kaisen #12
04. Chainsaw Man #08
05. D.Gray-man #27
09. Dragon Ball Super #13
23. Shuumatsu no Harem #12
25. Shin Tennis no Ouji-sama #30
30. Boku-tachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai #18
91. Mashle #02

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure I'll play now that I read Jump a little more consistently (not that I read a lot in Jump to begin with, lol.)

1: JJK :What can I say, as much as the current arc is doing that "one long fight that's a slog to read week to week" shounen battle manga thing I still can't put it down. I admit I'm getting a little weary --enough so to drop it maybe for a few weeks and see what happens but for now I enjoy it a lot.

2: Act Age: Kinda behind on this but I'm reading the Japanese volumes (up to 5) and the WSJ app simupub at the same time. I didn't get the hype at first but I genuinely enjoy it now. Really expressive art and while it is very much a battle manga it executes the tropes in exciting (maybe not exactly novel, but exciting) ways.

3: One Piece: I've been so-so over Wano as a whole but the Oden flashback and now the raid have got me excited for it. OP is weird for me where I enjoy the stuff that happens in between major arcs more than the arcs themselves, but this huge war that's unfolding before our eyes is shaping up to be awewesome.

4: Yozakura: I admit I'm never quite sure how to feel about this one. I like the characters a lot, and the artwork is neat, but it feels weirdly directionless sometimes despite having a perfectly good set-up for an overarching plot right in front of it. Still the aforementioned good qualities keep me coming back week to week.

5: Undead/Unluck: Now this one has a huge amount of potential that to me at least it's been delivering on since it's opening arc. It's still too early to tell if it'll be the next big thing or it'll fall flat on it's face before it gets anywhere but the leads are fun enough for me to want to keep reading and find out.

6: Cop and Dolphin: I'm mostly in on this because of Tamura's reputation and I love what he does with dialog. I actually kind of hope it doesn't try to do anything too serious since I like the premise and characters for what they are, and I dunno if a shift to a "typical" battle manga would suit it. Though so far the things I like about Tamura shine through and I'm content with that.

7: Ghostwriter: I can go one week thinking I'll drop this, and then it does something to reel me back in. I feel like at this point I'm just hanging in there to see how ridiculous it'll get before either going past the point of no return or looping back and being amazing, lol.

8: Magu-chan: Behind by a bit but I dig the Keroro Gunso/ SGT Frog vibes it has. Don't think it's too long for this world in all honesty but I hope I'm wrong.

I read MHA by volume in Japanese. I should probably switch to weekly considering how many people say it's awesome now but I'm content just reading it this way.

Not reading/dropped:

Black Clover: I really wanna get into this but I cannot stand Asta. That's it really.
Chainsaw Man: I read up to chapter 17 and dropped it. I like exorcism manga, but this one really doesn't offer anything new and I didn't like any of the characters either. Artwork is solid but not worth reading the series for. (I'd consider buying an artbook though.)
Dr.Stone: Didn't much like the last arc and honestly I think the series is at it's weakest when it's trying to be a typical battle manga. Unlike BC and CSM however, I'd probably continue reading this again at some point if I can get motivated to.
We Never learn: Don't like romance or harem. Nuff said.

Considering:

Mashle: Didn't like the first chapter, but maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it. Thinking of giving it another shot.
Moriking: Just never read this. Might pick it up if it survives a bit though.
Agravity Boys: Likely this is gone soon but I read a bit and it seemed funny enough. Not in a hurry to head back though.

Spent way longer on this than I thought I would.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Before the new batch hits, how would you all rank all Jump series you read rn in terms of current (not overall) enjoyment?
1. Mitama Security - I'm really going to miss it. Cute, innocent humor and fun. Much like how I felt about Double Taisei and Act-Age at first, I wasn't really loving a few couple chapters, but then it became something special to me after it found its rhythm. Hopefully Pigeon-sensei will return someday.
2. Magu-chan - Loved every chapter so far. Magu-chan is the perfect mix of witty and troll-ish. I hope it sticks around now that Mitama is leaving.
3. Undead Unluck - All of the chapters have been really engaging, and it's always nice when the main characters are your favorite ones. Fuuko and Andy are both interesting and easy to root for.
4. Mashle - The dramatic poses have been great, as has the comedy.
5. Act-Age - The series has consistently been really interesting, and Yonagi is so fun to watch as she learns and grows. Only 1 arc felt like it dragged a bit in the middle, but the series has otherwise been great. This most recent arc has been great. The kid has been a surprisingly nice addition.
6. Chainsaw Man - This arc has been really good, albeit emotionally draining at the same time.
7. Moriking - Good, simple fun. The side cast is building nicely.
8. Mission: Yozakura Family - Interesting developments, although I could use more Mutsumi-centric chapters.
9. We Never Learn - Fumino arc was better than Rizu's, but it felt like it was pretty generic, didn't really show us much new, and played it pretty safe. I wish the series could've ended after Uruka's route since I haven't been super impressed with these what-if routes.
10. Ayakashi Triangle - After how cool the first chapter was, I wish the more recent chapters would've shown more cool ayakashi like there were in the first chapter. The fat cat isn't really cutting it for me.
11. Hardboiled and Dolphin - The sense of humor is really strange in this one. It's like there's several very disjointed things happening each chapter between the ocean humor, police gags, and the little kid.
12. Me and Roboko - The series mentioning tendies is basically how it got this high lol. A lot of the jokes fall flat to me, but I will say that each chapter has been a small improvement over the previous one.
13. Agravity Boys - The broccoli arc was probably the worst arc this series has ever had. So much wasted potential in this series.
14. Time Paradox Ghost Writer - None of these twists work for me, I can't stand the main character, and it feels like it's rushing full speed towards the ax. Date really got shafted with this one. Hopefully it ends soon so he'll have enough time to plan out a romcom for once We Never Learn ends.
15. Bone Collection - Total mess with horrible art, but given that the ax is almost here, it'll soon be out of its misery.

I'm behind in Dr. Stone, and I've never read One Piece, My Hero Academia, Black Cllover, or Jujutsu Kaisen.

Lil meen

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
All of the series that I lost I am fully caught up on. I am in the 300s with one piece and have just started reading WNL. All of the other non listed series I have dropped.

1.CSM- Ever since the beginning of the manga every chapter has at least been a 9/10 in my opinion. The characters, writing, artwork, paneling, world building, power system, and fight choreography have all been phenomenal this manga. This is also a manga that gets better almost every chapter despite the first chapter raising the bar extremely high. Again this is one of my favorite currently running manga out right now and if the series sticks the landing it will probably be one of shonen jump’s greatest manga.

2.AA- Goodness this manga needs an award. This have the best writing in current shonen jump imo. The way he makes conversations feel like something an actual human would say for most part and the characters feel very believable and realistic with there motivations and there short comings. Even in it’s more dramatic moments it doesn’t seem very far off from how a popular actor would act. None of the characters feel archetypical at least when we get to know there feelings and background.

3. JJK- While I am still sad that hunter x hunter is still in hiatus this manga has been making it way less painful. This manga heavily reminds me of an togashi battle manga like YYH and HH while not being derivative in the slightest. This has the best fights in shonen jump as of now and some of my favorite composition and panel layouts in jump right now. Despite the artwork being nothing stunning imo the author knows how to layout fight scenes to still make them extremely pleasant to watch. Also the power system in this manga is absolutely genius with it being very intricate with out being hard to understand.

4. Mashle- A manga that just makes you really happy after reading each chapter. This manga is the funniest currently running jump series imo while still making exhilarating action sequences. The characters are also quickly growing on me which was my main issue with this series (especially lance after the latest chapter). If this manga keeps this quality up this can be big.

5. Dr stone- The American city arc is just pure hype. At this point I am back just wildly anticipating the next chapter of this manga every week (especially now with how this latest chapter end. Also Dr xeno has really been growing on me for the last few chapters. Wasn’t really feeling him at first because he felt very one note and his motivations were generic to me but now he has me very intimidated and intrigued by him. He seems to be on equal footing with senku in terms of smarts and he seems like he will really test the gangs wits in future chapters.

6. MHA- This arc has been absolutely amazing and hype to me these past weeks and have been meeting my expectations. The artwork, villain character development, paneling, emotional moments, pacing, fights, and intensity have been better than any arc before it. While it is still far from perfect and still have it’s issues the amount of improvement this arc has done to the series makes it hard for me to focus on those issues as much as I did the last arcs (except for villain and both endeavor arcs).

7. Magu chan- A nice relaxing and wholesome read with actually some funny jokes and likable characters. While at first I was reluctant to read it due to it seeming to be similar to mori king. I’m glad I did because now I know that it is very different series and I actually like it much better than mori king. I don’t know what it is but each chapter just gives me a lot of joy. I really never thought I would be this much into a comedy slice of life manga but here I am.

8. Undead unluck- This manga have some amazing action, well thought out power system, incredible premise and intricate world building. Now if this was based one quality it would be higher but for pure enjoyment I’m going to put it here. While all of those things are great one glaring issue I have with this manga are the characters. The characters are in no way, shape, or form likable imo (especially Andy and fuuko). It is an issue that kind of make fights less intense then they are actually supposed to be.

9. Mitama security- Sucks that this series is getting axed but it has been a funny manga. Nice manga to get a good laugh in and not worry about being caught up due to it being episodic. While I wouldn’t say every joke landed it still had a lot of extremely funny lines and was actually a very well written manga. It’s good to have a good manga to turn your brain of to seeing how intense the other jump manga have been getting.

10. Black clover- Black clover being black clover. Nice manga with fast pacing and cool battles but nothing else really to it. The dark triad arc has been filled with hype and even shocking moments. The battle between asta/yami and Dante has been a cool fight however definitely not one of black clover’s best to me. All in all this series is very enjoyable yet isn’t a quality series imo.

11. Mori king- It’s a good, wholesome slice of life comedy with some funny jokes. However unlike magu chan which is also of that genre the characters aren’t as likable and the jokes don’t land as much as that series to me.

12. TPGW- This is just insanely unfortunate. This was such an interesting manga that had so much potential that is now getting rushed to oblivion due to it’s controversy. It sucks because if it was given much more time to develop the plot twist would have hit way more harder than it does now. I just hope the 2 behind this manga don’t give up because it is clear they can write an engaging and well written story.

13. Ayakashi triangle- I’m going to need something interesting to happen. Right now it just feels like a generic romcom “ecchi” manga. I’m giving this more of a chance since this is by a respected author and I do like the black cat manga and have watched the anime (I know, I know I’m a normie) for to love ru and found that funny.

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 8/7

Jump

#1 Haikyuu!! 44
#3 Jujutsu Kaisen 12
#5 Chainsaw Man 8
#22 We Never Learn 18
#70 Mashle 2
#114 Mission: Yozakura Family 4
#317 Time Paradox Ghostwriter 1
#374 Moriking 1
#399 Mitama Security 4

Jump+

#21 World's End Harem 12
#155 'Tis Time for "Torture", Princess 3
#176 Summertime Rendering 11
#233 Hidarikiki no Eren 13
#385 Toda Oto Tenpenshuu Niku wo Hagu 1

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Shoseki Daily Ranking - 8/7

Jump

#1 Haikyuu!! 44
#3 Jujutsu Kaisen 12
#5 Chainsaw Man 8
#22 We Never Learn 18
#70 Mashle 2
#114 Mission: Yozakura Family 4
#317 Time Paradox Ghostwriter 1
#374 Moriking 1
#399 Mitama Security 4

Jump+

#21 World's End Harem 12
#155 'Tis Time for "Torture", Princess 3
#176 Summertime Rendering 11
#233 Hidarikiki no Eren 13
#385 Toda Oto Tenpenshuu Niku wo Hagu 1
Fair hold for Mashle and Yozakura, all things considered. Moriking continues to slip further and further, by the end it'll likely done worse than Mitama Vol 1.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yozakura Family

Vol.1: #40 > #60 > #69 > #114
Vol.2: #47 > #63 > #145 > #57
Vol.3: #41 > #69 > #67 > #86
Vol.4: #16 > #52 > #71 > #114

Mitama Security

Vol.1: #52 > #96 > #167 > #167
Vol.2: #60 > #144 > #209 > #329
Vol.3: #72 > #166 > #301 > Out
Vol.4: #67 > #178 > #263 > #399

Mashle

Vol.1: #27 > #49 > #58 > #58
Vol.2: #9 > #22 > #47 > #70

Moriking

Vol.1: #58 > #135 > #209 > #374

Time Paradox Ghostwriter

Vol.1: #60 > #121 > #146 > #317

Bone Collection

Vol.1: #100 > #247 > #367 > Out

ScotchAianB

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Last edited:

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Damn I was about to post it. This is a really unfortunate situation.

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This is extremely unfortunate and disappointing.

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
WAIT HOLLUP IS THAT THE ACT AGE WRITER?

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Okay I am going to say it here and now, I think Shueisha reaction should be proportional to law punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.